Merchandise Direct Topsy Turvey / Overcharged

1 Bountiful, UT 840101802 E Mueller Park Road, UT, United States Review updated:
Phone: 801-292-4153

April 16, 2008

Merchandise Direct
300 Returns Road
Wallingford, CT 06493

RE: Order #[protected]

This letter is to inform you that we are returning the above order for the following reasons:

Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter – Buy 1 Get 1 Free. We were charged $14.95 for the second set.

P&H was supposed to be $7.95 per order. You charged $31.80 per item, not $7.95 per box.

When we saw what you were charging us, I called you immediately on March 16, 2008 and your Customer Service Representative said they could not cancel the order. So here we are with something we don’t want because of the pricing. You did not represent yourself in an honest way so we are, therefore, returning our order and would expect our credit card reimbursement immediately upon receipt.

Respectfully Submitted

Charles Alvey
1802 E. Mueller Park Road
Bountiful, UT 84010
[protected]

Comments

• De
      21st of Apr, 2008

I ordered 6 of themyesterday and had no opportunity to review my order before it was processed. Had I known that it would be $95 for Shipping and Handling I certainly would not have ordered that product. What a fraud! They wanted to know if I would like express shipping for an extra $5+. Of course I said no, who plants in April in New Hampshire?? But it gave you the impression that shipping would be a lot less than $95.

I too tried to cancel the order and was told that they had not "received" it yet to call back tomorrow. I'm sure I'll get stuck with the $95 shipping charge because they'll ship it and then I'll have to pay to return it.

What a ripoff! If I can't cancel my order, tomorrow, I may cancel my card!

• Fr
      16th of May, 2008

I ordered two TTs and bought the $5.95 expedited shipping so I could "go to the top of the list" for delivery. Tomato planting starts early here in Southern California. Three WEEKS later I got a confirmation that they had RECEIVED my order:

"We just wanted to let you know that we have received your order and will be shipping it out in the coming weeks. Not to worry as your credit card will not be charged until your order is shipped"

I love it. Three weeks after the order they say they will ship "IN THE COMING WEEKS"!!! Even better, they say they won't charge my credit card until they ship. Sounds fair, right? The problem is that frustrated people like me can't call the card company and cancel the charge because it hasn't appeared yet. It is now over five weeks since I ordered and still no Topsy Turvys. Maybe I'll have them for next year's tomato season.

Oh yeah, I was also grossly overcharged on shipping and handling. This is a scam.

• Am
      30th of May, 2008

I, too, was overcharged for shipping. AND I HAVEN'T EVEN RECEIVED MY TOPSY TURVYS YET!!! I ordered them over 2 months ago. Then, today, I receive a card from them saying that they haven't shipped my order yet- because there has been a lot of demand. They want to know if I still want them. They still aren't saying when they'd ship them, and they give no phone number or e-mail to reach them at. IT IS A HUGE SCAM!!!

• Do
      2nd of Jun, 2008

I have the same complaint as Amy has. The very same thing has happened to me. They should not be allowed to use the mail like this and we should know better than to order items from them-I am not exactly sure that Merchandise Direct was listed on the order form but I will certainly check it out next time.

• Ka
      3rd of Jun, 2008

Exactly! I have gone through the same frustration. No phone numbers or email address for me to contact to cancel, but instead $72 and a month a half later I still have no product. I have tried to respond to emails I've gotten confirming the order, but of course I have gotten no responses. This will definitely make me think twice about ordering something online.

• Be
      4th of Jun, 2008

I got the same thing sent to me about the orders being late, however I did call them and told them I sent the card back stating I didn't want them on 5-20-08, it is June 4th and found out today they took the money out of my bank account-I called and told them I sent the card back to them on 5-20 and surely they would of gotten this card to them in plenty of time, she made the excuse that the card didnt get there before order shipped out.I told her, I know better and that I am going to complain to BBB on this issue.What a scam-Dont buy anything from Merchandise Direct it is a rip off

Anyone needing the number to MDirect is 1-800-366-6937

• Ke
      10th of Jun, 2008

This company runs a commercial for Aqua Globes. My mother placed a call, which was completely automated, to order 3 globes. She is elderly, and complained that the automated message was too fast. She ended up with 3 cases, or 36 globes.

No invoice or packing slip was enclosed. She did not even know her order number. Thanks to this website or blog, I got their number, which is 1-800-366-6937. I immediately called to get return information. The female operator was very polite and provided me with an order number after I gave her my mother's zip code, and the cost my mother paid. The globes were $119.00 and s/h was $70. S/H is not refundable. Also, I have to ship it back, and I was instructed to insure the packages. So, be very careful when ordering from this company, before you give them a credit card number and make sure you know the quantity and amount.

• Al
      17th of Jun, 2008

I ALSO GOT A CARD BUT STILL NO TOMATO THEY TOOK MONEY OUT OF MY BANK MORE THEN THEY SHOULD OF. IS THEIR ANY THING ANYONE CAN DO? YOU HAVE MY MONEY BUT KNOW TOPSY TURVY YET I SENT MY CARD BACK TELLING THEM I HAVE MOVED AND GAVE THEM MY NEW ADDRESS AND A PHONE NUMBER TO CALL ME I DO KNOW I WILL NEVER BUY OR ORDER ANYTHING FROM THE TV AGAING IS THEIR A PHONE NUMBER I CAN CALL?

• Jk
      19th of Jun, 2008

Same complaint as everyone else... EXCEPT I tried to cancel this order immediately by email. THEN months later, received a post card stating that they were late shipping and if I didn't want the thing to mail it back. That was three weeks ago. Today, I received a beat up box in the mail... you guessed it. I called them, after finding their number through a convoluted web search and they claim they got the post card too late. They already charged my credit card.

I am sending the box back refused, return to sender...

They are a disreputable company. If you want their phone number, it is 866-533-1123

• Bs
      11th of Jul, 2008

same as other complaints, tried to order online and kept getting an error message to try again later, that there was a problem with the website. After 4 attempts I gave up. 6 weeks later a postcard arrived stating that my 4 orders was delayed because of low stock and if I wanted to cancel order to mail back cards which I did immediately. One week later my bank account was charged 143.00. I called the company on 6/13/08 and told the person that i had not completed any online order because of error on website and they told me that i had and that orders could not be cancelled because they had already shipped. I recieved them 11 days later and refused them. On another call to them I was told the ship date was in fact 6/17/08, 4 days after they told me they had already shipped. I filed a dispute of charge with my bank and have only recieved 19.99 credit to date. One of their reps told me that if you refuse pkg and do not open then shipping is credited as well. We will see. Still waiting for other 3 boxes to show up there. What a nightmare. Never again. How can they get away with this? It appears they train their employees to tell everyone the same answer and then ship the product anyway.

11th of Aug, 2008

I'd ordered the Topsy Turvys, got a postcard from Merchandise Direct saying they'd be delayed and to send the postcard back if I'd changed my mind. I sent the postcard back, refusing them, and a couple of days later found that $89 had been taken from my checking account. A few days after that the box arrived. I had the postmaster write "REFUSED" on it and send it back. A couple of weeks after that my checking account was credited for $19.95!!!
    The Topsy Turvy is a great product (I got two on, I think, eBay...or it may have been from a catalog). But why they let an outfit like Merchandise Direct handle them is beyond me.
    From now on, if I want something advertised on TV, etc., I'll check to see if it's going to Wallingford, CT, before I order it. If it's Wallingford, you can bet your life they won't get my business!

• Me
      10th of Oct, 2008

I too ordered from this company and then was told the product would be another 4-6 week delay in delivery (after having waited 4 weeks for the product already) so I canceled the order by a postal card that had been sent to me in the mail explaining the additional delay. However, they claim they didn’t get the cancellation so shipped anyway and charged my credit card an entirely different amount from the on line confirmation amount that I had been originally quoted and confirmed. I called the company and was instructed to refuse the order and return the two packages which I did and have been battling them every since to take the debit from my charge. Now they have insinuated that I’ve kept their product and told my credit card company this when I filled out a dispute claim. My card company has advised me that they are unable to assist because my claim falls within the terms of the merchant’s pricing and policies. The merchant has also told them that I still have the product. I have sent Topsy Turvy and my card company copies of the receipt from the post office as well as the postal tracking that this package was refused and returned. I have spent hours trying to straighten this out only to learn today that my credit card company can do nothing to reverse these charges. My next letter will be to the Consumer Fraud Agency as I’m tired of trying to deal with the dishonest company and apparently my credit card company isn’t putting forth much effort as they perhaps put lots of charge business through the system – so bottom line is I’m out $98.33 an inaccurate amount to begin with and don’t have the product (which was returned) although I’ve been accused of keeping. So I definitely see this as a blatant fraud. Beware of Topsy Turvy and their unethical business dealings.

• Te
      16th of Mar, 2009

My husband ordered from this same company and we agree it is a big rip off. When he ordered the topsy turvy tomato planter the automated machine said that you could order up to 6 planters with a one time p&h charge. Well before he could actually get the order completed he got hung up on as well. After the fact that he had done gave them his credit card number and had been charged not knowing however what the total was going to be. This was on March 15, 2009, customer service center was closed on the 15th so we couldn't speak to anyone about this. We had to wait until on March 16th, 2009 to actually speak to someone about it. I finally get to speak to a customer service representative and they tell me that the order can not be canceled because it has already been processed. Bull crap... What a bunch of ripoffs, I was told that they would credited our card within 7-10 business days for $30.00 as a common courtesy for the trouble we have went through thus far. However the order can not be canceled because it has already been processed. Ok, well how can it have already been processed and shipped when it hasn't been a total of one day and the customer service wasn't even open on the 15th of March 2009 and I called about it on the 16th of March 2009. I truly don't know at this point whether we will get the order or our money back. But I am sure our credit card will be charged. And how can you be charged twice for p&h when you only placed one order.

• Sn
      18th of Mar, 2009

I placed an order for Buxton Bags on 3/16/2009 and got caught in the same order processing "scam" that everyone else has been caught in. The total should have been $29.95 for two bags (buy one get one free at $19.95 plus the uograde to deluxe for $10.00) plus S&H. I agreed to the express S&H, never expecting the total for S&H to be $41.64! When I called immediately to cancel I was told that the order had not yet been received and to call back the next day. Which I did and was told 24 hours had not yet gone by since the order had been placed and to call back today. Which I did and was told the order had been shipped! So my debit card was hit for a total of $96.54. When I called today I spoke with a "manager" who advised that if I returned the merchandise I would receive a COMPLETE refund, including S&H. (Sure...)
    I have filed a complaint against Merchandise Direct with the Consumer Protection Program here in Vermont in the hopes of making sure 1) I DO receive my entire refund and 2) these business practices are stopped.

• Rl
      6th of Apr, 2009

I tried to order Topys Turvey Tomato Planters online and the order form froze up and I never clicked submit. To make a long story short I had to reboot my computer to get out of the program. Now one month later I've been charged twice on my credit card with one Topsy Turvey from Connecicut and another form California. Talked to both customer services and one said to refuse the shipment and all would be credited back the other said unless you have return authorization nothing would be credited back. To make a long story short be very careful when ordering online with this company. We have received a partial shipment from the California company. It's very frustrating. The shipping and handling charges are outrageous. I'm going to call my credit card company to dispute the charges.

R. Lynam
    Texas

6th of Jul, 2009

I AM LIVID!!! Somebody out there has got to stop these monetary rapists from continuing to rape us hard-working people!!! I got stuck with a $255 order!!! And the box is so huge that it will cost me a fortune to return!!! I am a single mom and sole supporter of two little girls, one of whom is wheelchair bound and requires every penny. How did an order for two planters at $19.95 turn into $255??? RAPE!!! That's food for two weeks! I'm totally tapped out, can't afford to return the damn box and have to wait until my next paycheck to grocery shop! Why are these people still in business? Shame on them all!

• Wa
      9th of Nov, 2009

Lynn Levesque carp Ontario Im feel the same way order two crosses cost me hundred ninth eight dollars i bought 2 what a rip off they ask ed me if i wanted to increase the chain to a twenth inch so i did, put beware its ten dollars for each payment which with four equel payment thats 40 $ didnt sound like that on the phone . I also payed shipping and handling double because i bought 2 this is to much so buyer beware i dont know how they can advertise that on tv oh I also didnt even get a bill . called the company and the girl i talked to ended up hang up in my face i would not buy anything from them again

• De
      12th of Apr, 2010

I SPENT ONE HUNDRED AND SIXTY FIVE DOLLARS AND SIXTY CENT FOR TWO TOPSY TURVY TREE STANDS AND TWO STRAWBERRY PLANTERS LAST YEAR WITH A TWO YEAR WARRANTY LAST APRIL .I STORED THEM AFTER THE SEASON WAS OVER CLEAN DRY AND IN A WARM PLACE. THIS YEAR THE BAGS UPON FILLING THEM FOR USE THEY SPLIT AT THE BOTTOM AND RIPPED AT THE TOP. I NOW HAVE TWO STANDS AND NO BAGS TO USE WITH THEM.I'M A RETIRED SENIOR AND ON A FIXED INCOME.THE NUMBER ON THE ORDER FORM IS NOT IN SERVICE AS I TRIED TO CALL IT THIS MORNING WHAT NOW DO I DO? OUT OF MONEY BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS A CON.THE RICH PREY ON USE HARD WORKING PEOPLE TO GET RICHER.WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN THIS WORLD I PRAY THAT THIS REACH THE GODLY PERSON IN THE COMPANY AND I RECEIVE TWO NEW BAGS. I PURCHASED THIS PRODUCT IN GOOD FAITH. PLEASE HONOR THE WARRANTY ON ORDER NUMBER 00046252.THE SHIPMENT ADDRESS IS TOPSY TREE 7850 RUFFNER AVENUE DEPT 4000 VAN NUYS CA 91406.ARE THEY STILL IN BUSINESS?