Mercantila.com / FRAUD/ABUSE

1 San Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:

This company simply DOES NOT CARE about you, the consumer. All they want is to take your money. Once they've got it, if you have any problems, oh boy, are you in for some fun. They will either take one of two courses: 1) ignore you, or 2) tell you lies to placate you as long as possible, and then revert to course #1.

My story is a long one, and I don't want to put people off by giving all of the ridiculous details. In a nutshell, I ordered a platform bed, and when it arrived, both the headboard & footboard were cracked. Between calling & e-mailing, I contacted Mercantila at least 30 times over a 3 month period. The company basically refused to refund my money, at first by telling me lies (we've scheduled a pick-up for the item - this LIE was told to me TWICE, and both times, no pick-up occurred), and then by ignoring me (my customer service rep basically stopped responding to all calls & e-mails once I called her out on her lies).

In the meantime, I had filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and had disputed the credit card charge with my bank. My money was refunded by my credit card shortly after the complaint was received. Also, once my BBB complaint reached Steve Burman, VP of Ops, they FINALLY stopped ignoring me and actually picked up the damaged item and refunded my money.

Literally the MOST AGGRAVATING EXPERIENCE of my entire life. Absolutely not worth it, and I will NEVER shop with them again. In fact, I have made it a point to tell anyone who will listen NOT TO SHOP WITH MERCANTILA.

Check out other customer reviews:

Comments

• Be
      2nd of Feb, 2010
    Mercantila.com - Buyer beware
    mercantila.com

There are not enough words in the English language (or any language for that matter) to decribe how horrible Mercantila is. My total order was over $2000.00 and was purchased in late November. My order arrived in separate pieces on December 28th. One of my curios arrived damaged and to date I have logged over 63 emails (that's one per day) and over 100 hours on the phone (just on hold!) I have received ONE, and only one, reply email - which did nothing to help me, and have NEVER, not ONCE, spoken to a real person. I have been transferred into full voicemail boxes, hung up on, and been on hold listening to elevator music until the battery in my cordless phone died. I still have a broken curio in my dining room, and the charges are currently being disputed with my credit card company. Mercantila has caused me more stress than I ever thought was possible, and I am out over $2000.00. I wish I would have done more research before clicking the "confirm order" button. Buyer beware!!

• Me
      3rd of Feb, 2010

Hello Beest,

My name is Kelly. I oversee Customer Service at Mercantila. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with Mercantila. I know you are frustrated, and I wish your concern had been resolved satisfactorily in a more timely manner.

Regarding your order, I am very sorry that you have not gotten resolution on the damaged shipment. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate your order, so if you would please reply back to escalations@mercantila-inc.com I will personally ensure that your issues are resolved.

More broadly, I am working with my team to make many changes to improve our customer experience. Our priorities are ensuring we ship all products on-time, responding to customer inquires within 24 hours, on-shoring our call center, and providing our agents with better tools and training so they can assist customers with problems like yours much more quickly.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of me and my entire team. We take your feedback very much to heart, and we are doing everything possible to ensure this does not happen again.

Kelly

8th of Jun, 2010
    Mercantila.com - We had the worst experience trying to order a kid's bed from mercantila
    mercantila.com

We had the worst experience trying to order a kid's bed from mercantila. Horrible customer service. We constantly had to phone them to track our order that was three weeks later after our two year old's birthday. When it finally came they botched the delivery and only sent half the bed. They then made us pick up the delivery charge which was over $100. We ended up spending $131 on a bed we never received. Multiple follow ups to customer service have been ignored.

DO NOT ORDER FROM MERCANTILA! We will go back to Amazon for all of our online shopping.

• Sh
      6th of Jul, 2010
    Mercantila.com - I wish the experience with Mercantila was positive
    mercantila.com

I wish the experience with Mercantila was postive. I placed an order for 2 sets of Full over Full Bunk beds. I explained to Mercantila phone rep I MUST have delivery by Oct 15th for a weekend hunting event. I asked for FEDEX, the Mercantila phone rep told me the only delivery option for these itmes was a trucking line. Because I questioned using a trucking line for expedited delivery, the phone rep called the warehouse before I placed the order to ensure they could deliver by Oct 15. I was told the latest delivery date would be Oct 14th. On Oct 14th, I rec'd an email stating "Good news, the order from Mercantila had shipped, " and I could expect to receive it in "2-9 days." This was NOT "good news."

Since Mercantila prefers customer contact via emails, I sent 2 emails to my phone rep. No response. I finally called to find out why the order was shipping 10 days after the order was placed, no one had an answer. I am extremely disappointed. Since I don't have the order yet, I can only hope everything will arrive in order.

FYI - On the same day, Oct 5, I also ordered 3 sets of Twin size bunk beds from Wal-mart and everything was delivered by FEDEX as promised.

• Dd
      3rd of Aug, 2011

YOU HAVE 15 MINUTES, THAT'S RIGHT, THEIR CANCELLATION POLICY STATES THAT YOU HAVE 15 MINUTES TO CANCEL YOUR ORDER. ORDERED A COMPUTER DESK AT 2PM ON SUNDAY AND TRIED TO CANCEL AT 9:15 AM ON MONDAY, ALL TO NO AVAIL! NOW I HAVE TO PAY FOR 25% RESTOCKING AND SHIPPING BOTH WAYS, FOR A $240 LOSS ON A DESK I DON'T WANT. WILL NEVER, NEVER ORDER FROM THIS SHADY, UNETHICAL COMPANY AGAIN!

• Ri
      14th of Sep, 2011

I am a major shopper on-line and this company has the worst service in the world. Do not, I repeat, do not buy anything from them. Their customer service people are not allowed to tell you anything other than what you see on your computer. No one is empowered to make a decision and forget trying to talk to a manager, they don't allow it. Read the other reviews on line about this company and beware. Save yourself the hassle and buy it elsewhere. If you have a question you wait on the phone for sometimes 30-45 minutes. They encourage you to use e-mail but you are not allowed to send them mail unless you agree to their return policy. I tried to cancel my order and they tried to tell me it shipped giving me a UPS Tracking Number. I contacted UPS. They used the number for billing but did not ship my order for several more days. They try and get you on their 25% return policy fee. I think that is how they make their money.

• Sw
      18th of Nov, 2011
    Mercantila.com - Nightmare company
    mercantila.com

I purchased a pool table lamp and when it arrived, i cut open the box to check for damage. Be aware that they recommend you open the package on arrival to check for damage. Once you do, you will be charged the 25% restocking fee and shipping both ways. Also, the package was plain cardboard with no indication of the product. The only thing printed on it was the word "Glass" which of course it wasn't.

To my surprise, the lampshades were metal, meaning light could not pass through, only down. Since I needed to also light the room, this wasn't the product for me. I called to return it. Price paid $265 - less their restocking fee for opening the clear tape - less shipping both ways = $127 returned to me. If you have any chance of returning the item - buy from someone who doesn't take half your money when you return.