Mercantila.com / Fraudulent / Scam

1 665 Chestnut Street 2nd FloorSan Francisco, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (800) 718-1710

I ordered a "Schwinn 203 Recumbert Bike" for $376.01 from them in late December, 2008. At that time I was told the bike would ship on January 15th, 2009. After not receiving any shipping information by January 16th, I checked their web site and found the shipping date had been pushed out to February 2nd, 2009. Bare in mind that Mercantila had not contacted me about the delay. At that point I wrote to their customer service department and received the following response on January 21st, 2009...5 days later.

Hello,

We apologize for the delay, but the item that you ordered has been placed on back order. Currently the estimated date for shipping is February 2. As soon as the item ships we will forward you the shipping information.

To help fix this situation, we have switched your order to ship directly from the manufacturer, and the manufacturer has already confirmed your order and has reserved a unit for you. As soon as the item arrives at their warehouse, it will ship directly from the manufacturer -- this will save several days on overall delivery time. We will continue to monitor the situation closely to ensure prompt shipment as soon as the item is restocked.

We will continue to keep you informed throughout the shipping process. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us through the order status page and we will get back to you as soon as we can.

We appreciate your patience with this matter and apologize for the inconvenience,

Regards,
Sal
Mercantila Customer Service
AL1985AL
***************************************

Ok, so it appeared as though "Sal" was taking appropriate action, but when I didn't receive any shipping information by February 3rd, I wrote him again and received the following response on February 6th, 2009...3 days later.

Hello,

We are digging into this matter right now. We are sorry that it has taken this long to get back to you on this issue. This has been escalated to a priority issue and we would like to apologize for the lack of communication. Moving forward we assure you that we will keep you apprised of the situation.

We are working with the manufacturer and the shipping company to discover the location of your item. Any information that we receive at this point, we will pass along to you right away.

If you have any questions you can contact us through the order status page and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience with us while we work through this matter, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Sal
Mercantila Customer Service
AL1985AL
***************************************

In this letter "Sal" says he'll keep me "apprised of the situation", so I waited an additional 5 days, but he never got back to me. So on February 11th, 2009 I called Mercantila at [protected] and canceled my order. The girl on the phone told me she was expediting my cancellation and said it would take a "maximum" of 48 hours for them to receive my money back from the manufacture. She went on to say that once that money was received, it would take a "maximum" of 48 hours for them to transfer the money back into my account. That being said, I should have received my money no later then February 17th, 2009...but I have yet to see a dime.

Comments

• Me
      30th of Nov, 2009

Hello Wobbly Goblin,

My name is Kelly. I oversee Customer Service at Mercantila. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with Mercantila. I know you are frustrated, and I wish your concern had been resolved satisfactorily in a more timely manner.

Regarding your order, I am very sorry that you have not gotten resolution and confirmation of your cancellation. If you would please reply back to escalations@mercantila-inc.com I will personally ensure that your refund is completed and your issues are resolved.

More broadly, I am working with my team to make many changes to improve our customer experience. Our priorities are ensuring we ship all products on-time, responding to customer inquires within 24 hours, on-shoring our call center, and providing our agents with better tools and training so they can assist customers with problems like yours much more quickly.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of me and my entire team. We take your feedback very much to heart, and we are doing everything possible to ensure this does not happen again.

Kelly

• Mg
      12th of Mar, 2010

I could not help wondering if the customer service person "Sal" is the same person as my e-mail customer service person or if they all go by the name of "Sal".

I feel your pain.