MercantilaFraudulent Business

1 Review updated:

Let's just create a template and we can all just fill in the date of the "purchase", the item "purchased", the variety of ways we attempted to seek resolution and the intensity of our anger. 11/21...credit card given to Mercantila via the internet to purchase the loft tent bed. Received an email telling us it was being shipped...just not all at once. Attempted to contact them through the website to no avail. Also, many attempts through the phone but no success. Notified Citicards of the problem and will have to work through them. Note the link to the Better Business bureau report.

Please note that Mercantila is the same as any number of other sham businesses, so beware.

Anyone live locally who can initiate legal proceedings?

Comments

•   Oct 02, 2008
    Mercantila - Unauthorized billing
    mercantila.com

I ordered a bed, got a great deal on it. But the headache of getting anybody, and i mean anybody to help me understand why it's been three weeks and my status is still "not shipped" is absolutely unreal.

Mercantila:

This is the worse customer service I have ever had the displeasure of working with. I order a lot over the internet, but i have never been so disappointed, angry, and frustrated as I am now. The only person that answers their phone is sales, I have asked for a refund if they can not ship my product to me.

I am forced to involve the BBB. I sent an email letting them know that I was doing this, hoping it would help. Obliviously they're not even checking their emails. I got no response.

• He
      Oct 02, 2008

I agree. I cannot believe what a difficult process this has been. I am very suspect of this company and would warn anybody from using them!!! I have not received my package, it has been 12 days, I cannot speak to anyone at Mercantila, nothing on their website works as far as contacting them, and I coming to the conclusion that this might be a scam.

• El
      Nov 26, 2008

Mike--

I am in the middle of the same situation with Mercantila. I ordered a bed that was advertised as In Stock - Will leave warehouse in one week. Three weeks later, the bed has not shipped and I am unable to get in touch with anyone at the company. This is the worst internet experience I have had. I have already filed a complaint with the BBB. I hope you do the same.

• El
      Dec 03, 2008

This is not a good site. I am trying to change or cancel and order. I spent one hour on hold on the phone to no avail. No one would pick it up.

I have used the site to make the change but they do not respond to acknowledge the change. You cannot send email or speak to anyone and it looks like any changes or cancellations are ignored.

If they ship the wrong product I will not accept it. It wil be returned. I did order one thing from them and it shipped; I was very pleased. But warning-do not try to cancel or change an order!

• Pm
      Jan 13, 2009
    Mercantila - Poor customer service
    San Francisco
    California

I certainly wish I had researched this company before ordering a cabinet from it. One look at the myriad complaints from around the country, and I wouldn't even have considered using them. Alas, in my zeal to order a birthday present for a loved one and get a good price, I placed an order through Mercantila. When it arrived (late, 4 weeks later), it was damaged. After reading again about their "100% Satisfaction Guarantee", I filled out their online complaint form, requesting a REFUND. Four days later I was emailed a request to send pictures of the damage, which I did. Got an email back "passing the buck" to the vendor, saying that once the vendor had contacted Mercantila and acknowledge the damage, Mercantila would have the vendor ship me a new cabinet. Uh, but I wanted a REFUND. Repeated emails requesting an explanation got no response. Called Mercantila. After waiting an HOUR for a person, they tell me there are no refunds on furniture. OK, again I messed up by not looking beyond their big ol' "100 Satisfaction Guaranteed!" link. So now, I am just praying they send me a new cabinet. I'm not hopeful this will end well, at all, and am preparing to take whatever legal remedies necessary to get my money back from this very poorly run company.

Jan 31, 2009

Dude, their own website says they give refunds for defective items. I copied and pasted this:

Defective Product
    The processing time for refunds on defective products is approximately four weeks, as follows:
    • You prepare the product for pickup (original packaging – see Returns)
    • You log in to your Online Order Status Page and follow the prompts to report a defective product.
    • Supplier issues a Return Authorization Number (5-10 business days)
    • We arrange for pickup (3-5 business days)
    • Carrier delivers product to warehouse (5-7 business days)
    • Supplier inspects the product and acknowledges receipt (3-5 business days)
    • We issue a refund to you (1-2 business days)
    • Credit card company processes payment (3-5 business days)

CALL YOUR CREDIT CARD COMPANY AND DISPUTE THE CHARGES!!!

Feb 08, 2009

Feb 09, 2009

Tips for getting your money back. Good luck!

• Ga
      Mar 06, 2009
    Mercantila - Horrible experience
    mercantila.com

The most HORRIBLE experience ever. I purchased a bed on Jan. 4, 2017. After about a week, the email said the bed would ship on Jan. 12. After that date I called to see if the bed had shipped. I never got an answer after being on hold for hours. They later email me that the bed is not in stock and will not be delivered. I requested a refund and to this day they have not given it back. I have sent about 20 emails and called about 50 times. The three times that I am lucky enough to speak to the idiots in customer service they say that the refund has not been processed and that I should get it within 24-48 hours. It has not happened. Luckily for me I payed with PayPal. DO NOT BUY FROM THEM! They make online shopping the worst experience ever.

Mar 22, 2009

That's terrible, although not totally surprising, given this company's track record. Here, this may help you:

Good luck!

• Ho
      Jun 14, 2009
    Mercantila - non shipment
    Maryland

Bottom line: Absolutely not, buyer beware, read reviews from other websites, some slick online companies like Mercantila use shill accounts and fancy webpages to build false confidence and every marketing trick they can. This review is unfinished, because I am still waiting for the delivery of my product, a $350 exercise bike. I didn't do enough research on this company before I made my purchase, and I regret it now. This was my first purchase from Mercantila, they are the parent retailer or sponsor of nearly 250 other small online marketers. They don't seem to actually make or do anything, just another middle man to act as go between with customers, an increasing common practice in online marketing and sales. I searched around online and couldn't find any price deviation so they may exclusive rights to sell to the product I am still trying to receive. I'm will put enough specific information in this review that they will know who I am, and I have no issue with corresponding with them directly if they wish to follow up. I am placing this review on several such websites including the one that Mercantila (and about 260 other merchandizers pay to host reviews for them). I placed my order through Mercantila directly, although several of their affiliate companies also display this item, in hopes that I might get better or faster service since I couldn't buy directly from the company that designed and has my product (which is actually made in China). I ordered my bike on 19 May, it showed 'in stock' online. During the order I received an anticipated delivery date of 27 May (I now believe this is a totally false date, to give the allusion that something has been done with the intent to reduce the chance you will do your homework after purchase and cancel the order immediately). Mercantila charged my credit card, moments after I placed my order, most company's wait until your order is shipped, so I found this a little alarming. Within a day or so I received several phone calls from a Mercantila marketer trying to get me to buy the extended warranty (another common gimmick). They got my number by making it required during checkout, they got me again. I called and left several messages asking them to please just ship my item, but they didn't stop calling until I actually got someone on the phone and spoke with them. About a week after the anticipated delivery date, there was still no tracking info, so I filled out their online form, no response. A couple weeks passed and I send in another request for any information. It's been nearly a month now, and just today did I receive an email response, it said the warehouse (remember they drop ship, so this is odd), doesn't have a tracking number, but they are looking into it. I can't reply back to that email, it bounces back, deliver fail, and no other email or phone number is provided. This company now has my email, phone number, home address, billing address and credit card number and security ID from the back. I'm starting to get a sick feeling, and will be watching my accounts like a hawk. I went back to their site and navigated my way through to find where they leave a place for you to respond and told them my complaint and asked them that if my product wasn't delivered by 27 Jun to cancel my order and I will seek reimbursement through my credit card. While doing this I read some of the fine print, and it appears that if for any reason I have to ship the product back, I have to pay 'full shipping' even if it is damaged upon receipt. If you look around enough on their site, you'll find that they also Do Business As: The Internet Superstore, DriveSPEED Designs, The Brown Box, Red Carpet Shopping. If they make this right I will update this review. One little test you can try, go to buzzillions owned by powerReviews (the company Mercantila pays to "deliver... product reviews") and see if you can find this review, if not, they deleted it, and if that's no worse that paying people to write false positive reviews to "drive the highest sales uplift", you can read about this at Reuters, May 21, 2017 article. I'm only partially relieved knowing that I may have saved someone else from going through what I have, and the slim chance they will actually make this right. I do have some hope because I have read one account of this kind of thing happening, so stay tuned, I promise an update.

• Ho
      Jun 19, 2009

---------UPDATE 19 June 2017-----------------------
    As promised, here's my update. I received my product only 2 days after making my public complaint. Very shortly after my message to them, and my numerous reviews of their service I received two emails stating that there was an error and they were shipping as soon as possible. Since making my first review I've spoken with several people I about this issue and they feel that it's unfortunate a company has to resort to these tactics, but it appears to be just inside fair business. Most people won't spend the hours I did looking into this practice and posting to so many review websites, so your experience will vary. I'm not reviewing the product, only the company, which made good after my complaints, thank you Mercantila. The box upon delivery was significantly damaged and I'm surprised the product (exercise bike) was still in as good of shape as it was (still nearly perfect). There was one wire that appeared to be deliberately cut, but I hope to splice it back together without issue. As a little test, I went back to their website to see what it would be like if another person tried to order the same product today as I did nearly a month ago. It still claims "In stock! Leaves Warehouse in:
    1-2 weeks.", which I contest as questionable advertising at best, let alone the fact that they will require you to give your phone number, charge you immediately, even before shipping, and will make you pay for any return if one becomes necessary. I'm going to throw away the 10% discount code they gave me if I make another purchase, because I would be embarrassed to give it to a friend, knowing what I know now. Nice recovery Mercantila, and if you were to employ better consumer practices I would have no option but to be more favorable. At some point within one calendar year, I will make another purchase over $500 to see if there is any change, under a different identity. I promise to post my completely unbiased opinion of the exchange and my perception of Mercantila. If you are reading this you are a much smarter shopper than they expect to contend with. As we all increasingly depend on honest reviews to influence our decisions about online purchases, these reviews are important. The new bottom line is, this is a real company that is willing to respond to serious complaints if you are willing to go through the efforts necessary to reconcile with them. I will buy from them again, under different credentials, just so I can report any changes in there business practices. Overall, at this point I rate them a 3 of 5, purchase with caution.

Sep 01, 2009
    Mercantila - Non delivery of purchase
    Mercantila/The Pilates Store

I ordered a pilates power machine on 5th August via this company and was initially told that the shipment would be immediately. I have since chased this via their internet website, the only method they offer of help, as their sales dept cannot help with this process via the telephone (after being put on hold for at least 30 mins to 1 hour!), other than running you through the process on the website!!! I am now being told that the shipment is not estimated until 30 September, even though the item was meant to be in stock and delivered immediately. I DO NOT BELIEVE that this delivery will even be on 30th September and this date has now changed several times and is getting later each time on enquiry. I have now sent emails via their website 3 times cancelling this order and even though they say they respond in 3 days, I have still not had a response after 10 days of the initial problem. This is the WORST company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with and am now going to speak to a Lawyer about their business dealings in an attempt to get my money back. Wish I had looked at this complaints website before ordering from them. I would advise prospective clients to NOT EVERY ORDER ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY EVER!!!

• In
      Sep 05, 2009

The probably purposefullt damaged your box since they are covered in their disclaimer and cut that wire out of anger. They just lost almost $3, 000 since I read this and decided not to order there. They need to be honest or go out of business like everyone else.

• Tj
      Sep 11, 2009

8/12/09 Andrew MacMillan at Mercantila sold me a full size loft bed, mattress and bed tent at a "non-published" rate - about a hundred dollars lower that what I'd achieved in my shopping cart online. He gave me his email so I can order more things from him later. ([protected]@live.com)

Jeremy on 8/24/2017 - wrong size mattress sent. exchanging for the right size will increase the price by over $150. Ttold jeremy in cust svc I want to cancel the order Andrew ordered the wrong size mattress to get my price down. Jeremy assures me there will be no restocking or shipping fees as this is Mercantila's error. He will send a shipping label to return the twin mattress that I received and cancel the order. Per Jeremy, once the mattress is returned, my refund can be issued.

Susie on 8/26/2017 - received an email that the loft bed I cancelled shipped. Susie offered me the number to the freight company so I could call and tell them the item is supposed to be cancelled. I told her that it is not my job to do that - it's Mercantila's further erroneous practices that caused the item to ship. She said she would call them and send the shipping label (I was promised by Jeremy) to return the twin mattress - as I still had not received it.

8/29/09 checked the online status of order to make sure the order was indeed cancelled. Not only was it not cancelled, but it shows that it shipped (again) on 8/28/09. I called the shipper (iCat) per the tracking link on the website's order staus page. Found out that the item shipped from Columbus - called the related Columbus supervisor - a number which turned out to be a cell phone - and left a message that this order would be refused by me upon deilivery as it was cancelled BEFORE it was shipped.

8/30/09 Mercantila customer service dept is closed, but their sales dept was open. Spoke to Leah a sales rep who transferred me to Amanda (supervisor). Amanda promised to take care of the situation. I received followup call and shipping label as Amanda promised. She said she would call iCat (freight service) to make sure the loft bed would not be deilvered.

9/1/09 iCat (freight service) called and left a message to find out what time they could deliver bed. I called back and left a message on their number (a cell phone) that I will/am refusing delivery.

9/1/09 got email from Sal at Mercantila headquarters that I would be charged re-stocking and shipping fees...opposite of what all reps assured. Tried to call the (415) number listed on th website for headquarters to speak with Sal or someone who can resolve the issue - the number just rings to the 800 number's Sales and Customer Service departments.

9/2/09 Spoke to several different reps on this day (I have their names written down) - no Supervisor on duty. There were two supervisors, but Amanda is out of office for the scond day in a row, and the other supervisor quit over the weekend. There is no supervisor on duty and all the customer service reps can do is put in yet another "ticket". Per these reps (all three of them that day) Accounting/Refunds department is not available to contact - and they do not make outbound calls.

Among these Sales reps was Micah. (I call the Sales side because Customer Service does not answer the phone) When Micah answered and I asked to speak with Amanda - who coincidentally was out of the office the days I tried to contact her previously. Micah transferred me to Steve with no warning. Steve gave me "his word" that he would call me that day and resolve the issue and make sure that my refund would be processed immediately - with NO restocking fees or shipping fees. Steve did not call.

9/9/2017 I checked the online status of my order. Now it shows that my order shipped on 9/3/2017.

9/10/09 Jamie 3:27 pm - asked to speak to Steve regarding his return call that was not placed since my call to Mercantila last week. Jamie took a message for both Steve and Amanda (supervisors) who were both unavailable/at lunch.

9/11/09 called at 10:43 am - spoke to Stacy. Says amanda is in a meeting; can't tell me when she'll be out; says she may have a number for Kelly in corporate. Stacy contacted Kelly in corporate to handle directly. Stacy is in sales, but took my home and cell numbers and will speak to Amanda today to hopefully get my refund issued and the issues resolved.

One month and over $1200 later...Mercantila seems to be fraudulent. I contacted my credit card company last week to file a dispute. I'm not sure if the best action to take is with legal...or to go to the media? I am so tremendously disappointed.

Nov 24, 2009

Hello,

My name is Kelly, a Customer Service Manager at Mercantila. I sincerely apologize for the experience that you have had with Mercantila. I know that you are frustrated and I wish that it could have been resolved in a more timely manner. We are making many changes to create an improved customer experience, including ensuring we ship all products on-time, respond to customer inquires within 24 hours, on-shoring our call center and providing them with tools and training to help customers such as yourself.

In regards to your order, obviously there were a number of issues that were not resolved in an appropriate manner. Please contact me at [protected]@mercantila-inc.com so I can review your order and ensure we reach resolution to your satisfaction. I will personally manage all open issues, including ensuring that your refund has been issued.

I hope that you will accept our sincerest apologies. We are doing everything possible to ensure that this does not happen again. We appreciate the feedback so we can address these issues and move forward.

Kelly

• Ly
      Mar 11, 2010
    Mercantila - Bed
    California

Mercantila does not have the bed I ordered as it is "unavailable". Despite this, they have taken a payment of $2158.00 out of my credit card and has not refunded me for this amount since I cancelled the order and asked for a refund on 2/17. Mercantila keeps promising to process the refund and has not done it, despite several phone calls and an email to the company. It definitely appears to be untrustworthy as it will not expediently provide a refund for merchandise it cannot supply.

Mar 12, 2010

Hello Lynn L.,

My name is Kelly. I oversee Customer Service at Mercantila. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had with Mercantila. I know you are frustrated, and I wish your concern had been resolved satisfactorily in a more timely manner.

Regarding your order, I am very sorry that you have not gotten resolution and confirmation of your cancellation. If you would please reply back to [protected]@mercantila-inc.com I will personally ensure that your refund is completed and your issues are resolved.

More broadly, I am working with my team to make many changes to improve our customer experience. Our priorities are ensuring we ship all products on-time, responding to customer inquires within 24 hours, on-shoring our call center, and providing our agents with better tools and training so they can assist customers with problems like yours much more quickly.

I look forward to hearing from you, and I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies on behalf of me and my entire team. We take your feedback very much to heart, and we are doing everything possible to ensure this does not happen again.

Kelly

• Ha
      May 11, 2010

I placed an order with Mercantila 3/30/2017. My credit card was charged immediately. I subesquently received 4 seperate emails indicating order shipment on 5/7. Then when that day arrived a new shipment date of 5/29 was emailed. What's next. I cancelled the order and called my card company to reverse the charge. I will never deal with this company again.

Respectfully submitted,

PSH

• Gl
      Jul 01, 2010
    Mercantila - Worst customer service
    Mercantila

I purchased a trampoline for my kids in June 2017. The color of the trampoline enclosure was different than what was pictured. The pads did not match the enclosure. Customer Service would not call me back and only responded by email. They refused to work with me and do an even exchange for the pads in the color that I wanted, but instead wanted to charge me a restocking fee of 25% or charge me for new pads in the color that I wanted. This is after I put in 3 phone calls for someone to call me back and several emails later. This is the worst company that I have ever dealt with on the internet. I DON'T recommend!

• Tr
      Feb 21, 2011
    Mercantila - Damaged product/poor service
    Mercantila

Mercantila is horrible to work with. I bought a $500 exercise bike that arrived in a a package that was barely held together. Of course when I opened the box it had 3 separate parts broken.
    Rather than standing behind their product, Mercantila made me work with the Manufacturer. They took two weeks to send me the wrong parts. Mercantila's solution? A 15% discount for a bike that does not work. I buy tons of merchandise online and have never had an experience anything like this.

SERIOUSLY, never buy anything from them. They do not operate under standard business practices in the US -- this is more what one could expect from a 3rd world country's business standards.

• Do
      Oct 22, 2011
    Mercantila - Dishonest company-buyer beware
    Mercantila

Horrible company! Theyhave a "sister company" zoostores.com whre a Tennis Cube Ball Machine with oscillation was being advertised for $499. We ordered and paid over the phone-all phone numbers go directly to Mercantila - zoostores seems to be only a name. The rep at first stated it was an additional $100 for the oscillation feature. We disputed due the clear advertisement and that there was no option on the site to add $ or features to the ball machine. The rep went to the zoostores site we were on and saw the advertisement. She acknowledged the pricing and said she would honor the pricing and said we were being recorded for assurity. They sent the ball machine without oscillation and when I asked to listen to the recorded call they refused. The rep who did listen to the call said, "well she did say yes you were getting the oscillation but it was at the end of the call and she had already placed the order." They say we can return the machine we don't want but will have to pay shipping both ways AND a 25% restocking fee - that's over $200 for something I didn't order and don't want! This company is a joke and should be shut down. Buyer beware - I will NEVER buy from them again. I reported them to the BBB and the attorney generals office for deceptive business practices.