Menards / military discount

3 Springfield, IL, United States Review updated:

Menards will price match any discount from Lowes and Home Depot except 10% military discount. They claim they will match the discount when it is advertised, but since their competitors offer it year round, they don't advertise it. Especially in a time of war it is nice to see that Menards does not support the troops and their families that sacrifice to protect our freedom, don't shop there.

Comments

11th of Nov, 2010

I agree that it is petty to expect a discount and that it is the right of a retailer to choose whether or not to honor it. However, I feel that it is bad form to honor every discount except one for being in the military. I worked at Menards and turned veterans away when they presented an estimate with a military discount. If they came back with an estimate with the same discount but the discount was given for any reason other than military, we would honor it. I am not a member of the military, but I appreciate the sacrifices made by our troops, and I didn't like turning folks away because of corporate policy against the military. I don't intend to give the military a bad name and I am not being selfish, the discount does not apply to me. I am merely stating the facts as I have witnessed and explaining the reasons why I disagree. Thank you for your service.

• Ug
      11th of Feb, 2011

Get over it. My husband is a police officer and puts his life on the line every single day but we don't get a discount. I don't understand why people think companies are obligated to give military discounts. People take advantage of it .

7th of May, 2017
    Best Best Advice +16 Votes

@ugh_complaints yeah he also gets to sleep in his own bed every night with his family. And please stop acting like Police officers dont get any perks or discounts. Police and military men and women deserve the small extra discount for everything they do.. Leave it at that rather than running your mouth telling someone who served their country to get over it while you sit in your warm home while they are out putting their life on the line.

• Wi
      23rd of Jul, 2017

@ugh_complaints With all due respect has your husband been under fire almost everyday and night. I won't go into detail, however, it's total chaos. Although I do believe men and women who serve and protect should be offered discounts for putting up with the dregs of society. Thank your husband for his service.

• La
      18th of May, 2018

@ugh_complaints there are a lot of perks that come with being a police officer.he must lie to you about getting free and discounted rates on food and many other items.i know im retired military and im a police officer

30th of May, 2018

@larkat @ugh_complaints You lie! Cops get plenty of discounts like flashing their badge when they get pulled over for speeding. I know they use that one, seen it, witnessed it. Your husband chose not to serve in the military, so he doesn't get a vet discount. End of statement.

• Fi
      14th of Sep, 2018

@ugh_complaints i agree kinda i am a vet and retired firefighter i think all military and all first responders should get the same discont as they both put there lives on the line every!!! day and if a store does not offer that shame on them

22nd of Sep, 2018

@Jason2107 A BIG FAT butt AMEN!

9th of Oct, 2018

@ugh_complaints Your a [censored] I served in the military and I am Now a Officer in LA. trust me it is not the same. You are freaking clueless.

• Ry
      1st of Nov, 2018

@ugh_complaints You go defend this country, maybe you wouldn't be such a spoiled brat about it, then you could have one too. I dont recieved one either BUT I support it.

• Sh
      4th of Mar, 2015

I'm a stripper, my husband is a police officer. So what, everybody get over yourselves. Wah, Wah, Wah. Nobody has a right to a discount. It is nice gesture of thanks when given to military, police, mailman, or your local strippers. But come on people, you do NOT have a right to it. When you complain that a company does not give you a discount, but should because of your job, then you display an embarrassing self-image of self-importance. And, you embarrass everybody else in that class (speaking as a 20 year military person). What is even worse is when a person is given a discount and another person complains they don't get a discount. Then they go on to cry that they have more reason to receive one because they or their husband is more worthy. That is like me saying I have more reason to get free donuts because police officers have never been subjected to mortar fire and hand grenades. Its the equivalent of arguing about who has the biggest/most scars . . . childish.

• Aw
      14th of Sep, 2017

@shagwellb Stick with stripping, you can always get a boob job. Can't do anything equivalent for your brain.

30th of May, 2018

@shagwellb What?The point is Menards doesn't give a military discount, Lowes and Home depot do give military discounts. I'm not entitled to a discount like you are not entitled to anything bigger than a 1 dollar bill. And 20 years in the military got you a stripping job? That's embarrassing. Wow, 20 years in the military to retire and strip. hahahaha

• Ha
      28th of Sep, 2018

@Vet93 Right? And for real...I don’t think she’s a stripper. aid she was military for 20, that puts her at 38 at the very least. A 38-yo stripper? Even if that’s true, it’s pathetic, and she can’t make very many tips 😂

• Gu
      28th of Aug, 2015

It is just a nice gesture that some of our businesses recognize our military, let's say the National Guard or Reserves, go a little above and beyond just their everyday job to serve our country in a time of war. So if your husband is a police officer and he is in a reserve unit doing a little extra, then by all means he should receive a discount. I think just being a police officer doesn't constitute getting a discount. You need to stop all your snibbling and whining. If you think being away from your family for twelve plus months at a time is fun then those of you who don't have a clue should try it. I am a 3 time combat veteran and I feel like I earned the right to a discount so help me God!!

• Ol
      9th of Oct, 2015

U.S. Marine for 27 years

I did my time for so long, doing the unnecessary with so little, for the astonishingly ungrateful, that it doesn't really matter to me anymore. All you people that express yourself so freely on these sites should remember that the cost for your right to do it didn't come at a discount. I've only served my country voluntarily and have never expected anything in return. I will shop at Menard's and pay what I owe and be proud that I defended their right to not give me a discount.

30th of May, 2018

@Old Marine @Old Marine. And I have the right to not shop at Menards. I didn't join the military in hopes of some day, years on down the road, of having a 10% discounts everywhere. But its nice to save some money at companies that recognize us. Those little numbers that are on the items you purchase are called "prices" . Business set low prices to get customers. Why pay $300.00 for a mower when you can pay $270.00 for the exact same mower? Also your logic makes no sense. Are you that rich when buying 1, 000 dollars of items you could care less of having an unexpected $100.00 bill in your pocket? I'm sure if you went to by a new Chevy truck and GM offered you $1000.00 off for being a retired Marine you would take it. Or maybe not "Don't give me that discount, I'll pay what I owe". "Menards, I need a new hammer" Well sir, we have this one for ..." "Don't tell me the price, tell me what I owe" What a bunch of crap. Old Marine you can keep shopping at Menards and spinning that BS all day long and I'll go to Lowes and Home Depot and save money.

22nd of Sep, 2018

@Old Marine Thank you for, A)Your DEDICATED service to our Great Country! B)For speaking the ABSOLUTE TRUTH! I have also VOLUNTEERED for my military service (Navy, myself). I would certainly have to absolutely agree with you regarding the discount. Thank you again sir! Semper Fi!

• Lo
      4th of Mar, 2016

I would like to say thank you to all military personnel who put their lives on the line for our right to be able to do exactly this, talk freely about our thoughts and opinions. In many countries you would not have the right to be a stripper, in fact you would be put to death in many regions. I also would like to thank our police officers, teachers, and many others that serve our country in some way to improve its well being. We are becoming such a negative nation and I refuse to be that way, I appreciate all those that work hard to make our country the wonderful place it is today. I love our country and so many of the wonderful people that live here, plus imagine living in a country that is in constant turmoil where there are extreme laws that prevent any of us from pursuing the career of our choice be it military personnel, teachers, nurses, bartenders, police officers, or strippers. I think we should all stop and think before we say hurtful or cruel things in response to others and consider the big picture of what so many others in the world are facing. It hurts my heart to hear somebody that fought for our country feeling as though what they did maybe didn't matter or isn't appreciated, so from one citizen of this great country I would like to say thank you. I do believe military deserves a discount not only are they gone from their family they are in danger daily, I know some cops are as well however I do believe it is a very different experience all together. Serious praises to those military people that return home then become police you spend your entire lives protecting people of this country. My final plea of all of us it to please try to see what a great nation we have and be appreciative, positive influences for our future generations, thank you.

• El
      28th of Mar, 2016

Of course a military discount is not a right or an entitlement...but it sure as heck influences where I take my shopping dollars. I doubt Lowes and Home Depot would offer the discount if it didn't make financial sense to do so.

I'm not mad that Menard's doesn't offer the discount, but it did influence my decision not to shop there anymore.

BTW...after spending $5, 500 at Lumber Liquidators last month, I jokingly asked if they did a military discount and it turned out they do! 5%!

@Elsie Eye exactly!

2nd of Apr, 2016

difference between military and police officers... police officers get to come home at the end of the day... police officers have an option to stop what they are doing and go home... police officers are not told when they can eat sleep or shower... police officers can go to work with their uniform all jacked up even in the line of duty... police officers are better paid by the hour... how do i know this ... i am both...

• Fi
      14th of Sep, 2018

@markharmon123 well bud more police an firefirters died this year than military 300 in 1 day 17 years ago sep11 so go tell ther famile your crap and c what they say

22nd of Sep, 2018

@markharmon123 That is EXCEPTIONAL! YOU are EXCEPTIONAL, SIR! You stand here as, in my opinion of course, a SELFLESS AND RESPECTFUL individual! For you to have, NOT ONCE-BUT TWICE, decided to essentially do a vast majority of it, ALL OVER AGAIN! THAT SIR, IS QUITE COMMENDABLE! As a Navy Vet, AND from a family with BOTH, CAREER MILITARY AS WELL AS POLICE OFFICERS, I salute you for your WILLINGNESS to SERVE AND PROTECT! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

• Ro
      27th of Apr, 2016

What about those like myself, I was Military Police. Does this fullfil your requirements Madam Stripper?

25th of Jun, 2016

I am a former United States Marine (now a veteran with a service connected disability) and I was also a police officer in two states. I am grateful to the companies that offer a small discount. It shows something, a gratitude, a thoughtfulness and a courtesy. Being a police officer is nothing like being in the military, nothing. In the military you are governed by both civilian law and the UCMJ. If you are deployed, you may or may not come home and certainly not the same day, week, month or perhaps year to see your family. The pay isn't very good at all but one doesn't join for the pay. The health care, historically isn't very good for veterans.

Most police officers aren't exposed to chemical warfare, grenades, suicide bombers or other threats of a higher magnitude. Many eateries offer police officers free coffee, free food (or at least heavily discounted), and various other perks/discounts. Police officers get better discounts and perks than probably anyone else (and many don't respect the ethical aspects of the various offers). Most cops don't get speeding tickets, do all sorts of compromising things, are protected by a union (mostly) etcetera. Cops are supposed to be the local "heroes" and soldiers are supposed to be the international "heroes". Many don't live up to that but some do. I respect and appreciate those folks that live up to a much higher standard.

Being a police officer is nothing like being overseas at all. As a police officer I have been on various patrols, including bike and foot, and I got to eat when I wanted, where I wanted and with whom I wanted. I was able to do do my eight to twelve hour shifts with some overtime at times and then I got to go home.So a decent company throws a 10% discount to an active military person or to a veteran with a disability, so what. It is good of them, period! I appreciate those companies very much. I have been a police officer, appreciated my ethics classes at academy and never accepted freebies. Live by example or shut your mouths! Period. Semper Fi.

• Na
      5th of May, 2017

@Jay Mackin Vietnam Vet here. Hooah Brah

• Na
      5th of May, 2017

Hooah

• Ra
      27th of Jul, 2017

Quit being sheep. Lowes and Depots 10% off price is still higher than Menards regular price in most cases. But spend your money how you want.

Menards had a military discount until Wal-Mart was sued for price discrimination. Blame the lawyers.

• Bo
      7th of Mar, 2018

I am military and I also work at Menards while it is true that we don't offer a military discount the other service make up for it in my opinion. First I if get called in to state active duty they bend over backwards to make it work for me as well as my bonuses. And yes it is required but only for going active if I volunteer for a school duty they have no problem keeping me at my pay rate and keeping my position for me. They could very well did miss me from fulltime or a management position and drop me to full time or part time and re hire me at a lower rate but they don't. The laws in place just say they must re hire me or give me a job back dose not say it has to be the exact same job as when I left.

• Lm
      17th of Mar, 2018

It's 0705 in the morning and I was looking on Menards, Home Depot and Lowe's sites because I'm currently remodeling my house. I Google everything so I admit I had the burning question about Menards and military discount. I have been rolling for the past 30 minutes reading all of the comments. I don't know if anyone keeps up with these because I noticed these comments date back a few years. I'm pretty sure if some of you knew back then that Lowe's too would be getting rid of the military discount you all would be up in arms lol. And let's be fair. Home Depot doesn't offer a military discount you have to ask for it. So unless you're smart enough to show your military ID you won't get it but they aren't required to ask and according to the numerous employees I've spoken to all over the United States they aren't supposed to volunteer the information either. Try this one if you want something to argue and nit pick about. As a soldier I get a 10% discount through my cell phone provider. After I retired and started working for the railroad I now get a 22% discount LMAO!! Research it people. Most companies that offer discounts for your job the armed forces has the lowest discount percentage. FedEx, UPS, Lowe's, Home Depot, Ford, GE etc get 22% with the major cell phone providers. Just FYI. I loved serving my country and I do appreciate the companies that provide us with discounts but I'm not going to frown on the ones that don't. Because as someone commented in one if you shop around more often than not you can find a better bargain with or without a military discount. I can't wait to see the comments once Home Depot stops offering a military discount LMAO!!!

30th of May, 2018

@L mitch So you're on here to make fun of the people who don't get 22% percent discounts on phone services because that's what you get? And you cant wait until other companies stop giving military discounts so you can see our reactions? The entire point of these comments is because some guy acted insulted because he was a vet and didn't get a discount. Normal people stated 'shop somewhere else, its their right not to give discounts. Then [censored] said veterans are not entitled discounts, what's the big deal, my husband a cop and he doesn't get discounts [censored]. Then even dumber [censored] said I'm a vet I don't need a discount my discount was serving this country, the heck with discounts, what is money and why is it a concern. Then you role your eyes, sip your wine with you pinky in the air and say " Oh my... I get 22% discounts... military gets crappy discounts... gosh, cant wait until Lowes discontinues discounts... I work for the rail roads... I was a Soldier..I'm condescending.

• Wi
      5th of Jun, 2018

@Vet93 Screw this guy and his 22% railroad discount...Tmobile offers active duty and vets a 50 percent discount through their Tmobile one military plan. If your a vet ask for it...they will give it to you. After reading this I bet this [censored] (Lmitch) switches to Tmobile.

• K0
      5th of Jan, 2019

As a disabled Afghan Vet, who has a constant struggle with day to day affairs. In addition to a father who is retired police commander of 30 years with Chicago. We both picked our carriers paths fully aware of the risks involved. Any company that choices to honor a discount for one or the other is up to them. As previously stated by someone above, it decides where we both shop. But when looking at the fitness levels and competency of the police force, it is a joke. We have the same in service. But not in overwhelming numbers. So, to respond to someone comment about more Officers passing away in the line of service. Blame that on complacencies, willingness to train and fitness. More bullets, explosion, IED’s and Blue vs Green happens to service members way more often and don’t get me started on time away with no communication to loved ones. All first responders deserve respect and so does the Armed forces. Discount applied or not.