Menards / wrong price

1 2102 East Springs DriveMadisonEast Store, WI, United States Review updated:

Visited your 2102 East Springs Drive Madison, WI store on February 15, 2009 at around 5pm.
We went in for two specific items, a bath tub spigot and pre-made shelf. On the way from the plumbing dept. to the other corner of the store, we went by the pet section and saw these pet pillows marked $4.95 closeout. We picked the one off the top of the pile, there were 2-3 other pillows stacked in the bin marked $4.95. We continued to the corner of the store for the pre-made shelf and headed to the checkout.
At the ring up we noticed the pet pillow was ringing up as $36.
We complained to the floor manager that was not the price marked for the item.
She called back to a "Marc" and he said that was the correct price for the item SKU.
I then went back and now the bin that had the 2-3 other pet pillows was empty and stacked into the bin next to the now empty one. Marc pointed to the bin with the $36 price mark, now overflowing with pet pillows. I told Marc that the bin marked 4.95 had 2-3 other pet pillows when we picked the item. He had no answer.
Going back up front, the female floor manager ignored us until she got her boss, the asst. manager.
We were informed that it is not Menards responsibility to provide the correct price if we the consumers cannot decode the SKU on the item and the price tag.
In addition, he said Marc is the most honest person he knows and would not lie about a bin of pillows being moved in the time we picked one and walked through the store to the check out.
The Asst. Manager walked back with myself and my fiance. The empty bin was there and immediatly the Asst. Mngr took the 4.95 tag out of the sleeve.

Does Menards honor displayed prices?
If Items are going to jumbled around; someone looking for a certain color, fabric type, wouldn't individually tagged items with clearly marked price be more prodent?

I know customer satisfaction is important to Menards, and I am sorry to inform you that until you can prove better customer relations, I will no longer visit your stores and go to your competition in these tough economic times.

Comments

• Sh
      10th of Mar, 2009

I could see how you would be disappointed with the pricing issue. I too would want it to have been for 4.95. But if customers move product around and it gets put in the wrong place, I am also not going to make the store pay for a customer messing up the shelves. It sounds like this pillow was right next to the $36 pillow spot and was accidently moved over. Not your fault and also not Menards fault.

• Me
      25th of Jul, 2009

um, if something costs $36, and the store gave it to you for $5, they'd lost money. I guarantee that the profit on the pillow is not that much. Not to mention the fact that you should know better than that. When I product is marked at an unreasonably low price, duh! We can't sell things for less than cost, or there'd be no profit, and thus no stores.