Menards / horrible company

1 Crestwood, United States Review updated:

Menards is a terrible company too work for Not steady work unrelaible income they want to own you! No one works there for long the place is awful

Kb

Comments

• Ha
      8th of Feb, 2009

really, well you obviously don't know shyt, I have been with menards for over 7 years and I can tell you of atleast a dozen coworkers in my store that have been there anywhere from 10-28 years. As far as the pay goes, how many retail employees do you know that make 40-70K a year doing what they do?? Yes, it is hard demanding work but you are taken care of if you can do your JOB.

• Lo
      26th of Feb, 2009

I have to agree with happytohavejob. I have been with the company for 8 years and some change now and i have never complained about the pay I receive doing my job. There are 12 people in my store alone that I know about that have been with Menards for 20+ years. A department manager is usually making around 50k a year. A store manager makes into the 6 figures. The problem you have kb123 is that you want to get paid for doing nothing. Its time you learned the facts of life, in the real world you don't get handed things on a silver platter, you have to work hard for what you want. You will only receive what you put into something. So get off your high horse and realize your shyt stinks just like all of ours.

• Mc
      3rd of Dec, 2016

@LockJawCowboy Don't be fooled by these people, manager's pay is terrible. They start you out at around $12 per hour, but you end up working 55 or more hours a week to make that 50K or more. They also throw in some bonuses based on if you pass audits and other things like making payroll and of course the instant profit sharing if your store qualifies. I say no thanks. Managers are totally taken advantaged of at Menards. Overall, Menards is not a good employer. My advice is look elsewhere for employment. Many of the complaints here are valid. This person in all their posts likes to use the old get a job or the work ethic card as their rebuttal. Geez, get a life! Oh wait, you don't have one, since Menards's culture is all work no play. I would say that 90% of the people here are telling the truth of their working experiences at Menards. I'm much happier since I quit and found a better "grown-up" career than this "dead end job".

6th of Jun, 2009

the menards in apple valley required us to say "thank you for saving big money at menards" or they would write us up! lmao. so stupid. they should care that it makes their employees feel stupid and uncomfortable

29th of Jun, 2009

i've worked there 2 1/2 years oh and to the last person.. maybe they wouldn't write people up for not thanking people for shopping if you actually did your job and were polite.. it is courteous to say thanks for shopping and you should do it no matter what.

14th of Oct, 2009

yea but we would get written up even if we said thank you for shopping.. it was the saving big money part that was weird. i mean come on.. thats not a good reason to get written up.

14th of Oct, 2009

and by the way i dont think menards is a horrible company. i like working there. i just thought that rule was unfair

1st of Jan, 2010

oops i meant the burnsville one did.. i always shop at the apple valley one lol

• Do
      6th of Jan, 2010

I think it's completely stupid that they write you up for having your drawer go over by 10.00 when they don't even know if it's you who did it or not. THEY DO NOT CHANGE DRAWERS DURING THE DAY, so anyone who was on that register that day gets written up because someone made a mistake. Don't get me wrong, being written up for something like that is fine with me but you have to have the proof (like different registers for each employee) that they were the ones that made the mistake because then you will know you did it and can watch closer next time. I work there and HATE it. I worked there two days and got a wrote up for that. That is a stupid thing to write someone up for that didn't even do it (Someone did but then everyone else gets written up too!). I think this rule is VERY unfair to people who may or may not have done something.

6th of Jan, 2010

To the person above, that has happened to me before and it is very fustrating. But most likely if its not you doing it you won't get written up again and it won't be an issue, unless the person that did it keeps handling money poorly and your always on the same register, , i guess, but it should work out

• Ak
      6th of Aug, 2010

Menards is really good at using their employees to excess without giving the proper compensation. When I was working as a cashier I was written up for wanting to count my till. I counted it before I would start my shift and the front end manager yelled at me saying I wasn't allowed to count the money. On one day after being yelled at I counted my till again and the till came up 12. 00 short. I immediately called the manager on the walkie talkie and told her but she just yelled at me over the walkie talkie, later that day I was written up for counting my till. I ended up going to the Human Resources Guy and expressing my concern that if Menards wants me to be responsible for their money then I should have the right to count it to make sure that it has the amount of money that it was supposed to have. I was told I was able to count my money before I take it to the register in front of the manager. So the next day I went into the counting room thinking I was going to get to count the money in my till. But instead the manager weighed the money then handed me the till and told me it was fine. I pushed the issue that I was told I could count the money before taking the till which made the manager very angry at me and from that day forward it was obvious I was going to continue to be treated poorly. The harrassment continued from the management until I finally quit 6 months later.

• Li
      7th of Mar, 2011

I feel that menards is a companey that cares more about the money they make then how they treat their employees. A lot of the polices are stupid and the things they expect us to do irritate guests more then help them. I too have been written up because my register was off however three other ppl were on it that day including a head cashier and because they only did one audit on it (later that night after everyone had been on it) they didnt know who had made the mistake so they wrote all of us up. When i first started working there i didnt believe it when ppl told me that the cameras were in the store to watch us not the guests but now i believe it. Menards doesnt back thier workers at all, one person who worked at my store, who was a good worker, always happy and friendly, extreemly poliete and helpful to guests got fired because some guest wrote to the general office and said they didnt like how they had treated them and found this person unfriendly. Any one who had ever worked with them would know that this was an all out lie by a mad customer. However instead of taking the side of the employee and try to find out what happend they just fired this person. I never in all my life worked a such a place like menards.

• Jb
      22nd of Jun, 2011

I can agree with most of this. I had some items delivered to my house and when I asked them to back the truck up and unload the items in my garage they commented on why I couldn't unload the items myself. When I order a pizza, the driver doesn't ring my doorbell and make me get the pizza from their car. I find it ridiculous that they can treat their customers in that way. One of the reasons is probably the way management treats their staff. Favoritism is a huge thing at menards. Their slogan should be, kiss ### and be successful at menards. Yeah that's two syllables off but whatever. My girlfriend has been working their for over six months and has been written up twice because supposedly she did not fully stock an item. Of course the department head can not prove that the mistake was made by her, as their inventory system consistently is wrong. Negative 15 items in stock and there are 5 items on the shelf. More than one location for an item in the store but yet the computer system only shows one. Employees are told to stock the other locations that change all the time but yet are written up for 'walking around and wasting time'. Politics run rampant at many store locations and as usual management sticks together. Other departments make the exact same mistakes of not 'fully' stocking shelves and are just told to go get the item from the back and stock it. They are not written up, but yet my girlfriend was. You can expect management to blame their employees underneath them instead of being responsible and admitting to a mistake. They would rather let someone get fired for their own mistakes. Needless to say, she is looking for employment elsewhere where employees are not scapegoated for others mistakes. And to comment on the cashiers that don't get an actual dollar amount till count? You got to be kidding me. Just goes to show, if you want fair treatment, solid hours, lunch breaks at reasonable times and a business that values itself on making it's employees and customers happy across the board, (not just the ones they like). Then go to home depot or lowes. If you don't believe me, look up the history of the current owner of menards and how he would have his management go to competitors stores and buy all their stock of items they couldn't compete with so that customers were 'forced' to pay a higher price at menards. That is price gouging and it's unbelievable that this company is still in business. After my girlfriend quits, we will be reporting the circumstances to EEO and the BBB. No wonder menards has the highest hiring rate in the industry. Many people cannot stand to work there. I do understand that some stores can be fantastic depending on the experience and fairness of the management. But the store my girlfriend works at, the manager can't even show up on time to unlock the doors. Does he get written up or fired? Nope, everyone else does. Is there a hotline employees can call to complain about unfair treatment or racial discrimination? Because it seems to me that my gf's manager dislikes people of hispanic nationality. JUST PLAIN RIDICULOUS!

• Jb
      22nd of Jun, 2011

How am I not surprised by your childish response.

• Fr
      15th of Nov, 2014

Menards is by far the worst job I have ever had! Seriously, the people praising Menards and calling us lazy need to stop bitiching at us for stating the truth and get there head out of the sand, because their masking the truth that this company could care less about their employees/customers and preventing them to change for the better. This job is the typical dead end job unless your in corporate. They use IPS and just enough benefits to lure unsuspecting people in, but it doesn't make up for the lack of pay and perks, no work/life balance, and the crap/harassment you have to put up with daily there from rude customers and clueless co-workers/bosses. All their money and benefits isn't worth your time and sanity to stay here in the long run. I used to work there for over 2 years and quit, because I found a better job with my degree. I got tired of being treated like s&*t by the mircomanageing and disrespectful managers and being taken advantage of for being a good hard worker. The hard worker never gets appreciated or feels a sense of accomplishment, and we get the rath of the GM's when things are not done right by others, because they know we will pick up the slack of the real lazy workers. The hard worker is the pack mule for this place since alot of workers are incompantant which means we get the s&*tty shifts, working every overnight, and closing then opening the next day. If your a good worker, it seems management wants you there during all hours of operation until you feel like your practically living out of your car as if you don't have a anything else going on in your life such as taking care of a house, family, etc. All in all, this place is a disorganzied hell hole and is ran by a bunch of greedy heartless people who don't value their employees hard work they do for them and don't give them proper compansion/benefits and rest. Stay clear of working here! I get payed more and better benefits, treated with diginity, enjoy my career, and have a work/life balance at my current job working 40-45 hours every week Monday-Friday.

• 47
      7th of Dec, 2014

I wholeheartedly agree with what was said because there is no life with that place and they are disorganized and there is no work or life balance, because management and corporate don't care all they care about is taking care of the LAZY ones that don't want to do anything and promote them.