Memorylabs / Bad business practices

I, too, was deceived by this company. My father and I each ordered two "OEM" Western Digital WD7500AAKS hard drives, for a total of four. They arrived fine, but they were what I would clearly consider "white label" and not actually "OEM." That is to say, the Western Digital labels had been removed and replaced with generic labels, and the drive identification in the firmware had been changed to a generic identifier. Furthermore, when I called the company to complain that these drives that were specifically being advertised as Western Digital had no indications of being so, they let on that the drives were actually remanufactured; that is to say, USED. Nowhere on the product page was there any sort of terminology depicting the drives as anything other than new.

The RMA process was hellish. After multiple rounds of phone calls and emails, they would not waive the 15% restocking fee. I sent the drives back, and my father and I each filed a chargeback on the restocking fee and the original shipping cost. Fortunately, this was not contested, and through the chargebacks we received our money back in full.

I would strongly recommend against ever doing business with this company. They are a deceptive, fraudulent corporation with abhorrent business practices. Seven months later, they continue to advertise products from multiple manufacturers as "OEM" or "New" when they are NOT "OEM" or "New." How do I know the second part without having ordered from them again? Because I just followed a Pricewatch link to a MemoryLabs WD10EACS drive advertised as "NEW", but the product page clearly lists it as "Recertified." At least they're half-telling the truth these days.

I've been in touch with the trademarks department at Western Digital, and they do seem to be interested in pursuing action against MemoryLabs.com. Take my advice and take your business elsewhere.

Da

Comments

• Je
      4th of Nov, 2009

I ordered an Intel Xeon CPU 2.33 GHz FSB 1333 MHz processor in retail packaging on October 20, 2009... I chose the free shipping (ground) and insurance (4.99). The total of my order was 482.99 . As of November 4, 2009, it still has not arrived. Good luck getting through to ANYONE on the phone... it will either be busy or you will get a recorded message saying "sorry - no one is available to answer the call. To leave a message press 1 to call the operator press 0, to enter another extension press star"...
    I have attempted contact by sending three faxes, all of which I got confirmations they were successful. I have also left over 6 voicemail messages... Now we have sent three emails, which have gone ignored thus far too.
    They did NOT hesitate to charge my credit card though!!! Hmm...

**Edit** Now I got a reply email, in which they said, " Hi. We are sorry for the delay. The item your ordered is shortage now. It is back-order now. We will ship your order once we receive the item. Sorry about it again." Yes - bad grammar and all, that is what they said to me. How hard would it have been to email me or call me and let me know this WHEN IT WAS ORDERED!?!?!?! NOTHING on the website indicated it was out of stock - if it would have said so, I would NOT have ordered it from THEM! I mean come on! How are they allowed to stay in business!? Now I must fight to get my money back, AND order the processor somewhere else!

Now I have been on the phone, pressing 0 to call the "operator", listen to it ring 8 times, and get the same "Sorry. No one is aval. to answer the call..." message, only to press 0 again for the "operator"... this is just a cycle I am trying to see in any desperation if I can talk to a REAL LIVE PERSON!

I HIGHLY ADVISE EVERYONE TO NOT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH MEMORYLABS.COM
    I am not saying this just because I am upset - do a Google search and see just how many OTHER PEOPLE feel the same way! This is NOT an isolated incident at all!

• Rc
      17th of Nov, 2010

This is a fraudelent company, I too have had an issue with ordering a computer netbook, and then I received nothing, and talked to them on the phone, which they said, it wasn't in stock. Then they said they may have something in stock and then at the last minute said they didn't before the phone call was over. Then they ignore all phone calls, but my card is still charged for the money they receive. You get what you pay for, they are cheap, and they will rip you off if they get the chance, i've had one successful order with them, upon a second order they took the money.

• Rc
      1st of Dec, 2011

I change my mind, sorry they fixed everything, please disregard the above comment. thanks.