Meijerpharmacy

Do Jan 26, 2017 Review updated:

Pharmacy experience
I saw my psychiatrist yesterday and due to some issues she changed my vyvanse script from 7mg/1x a day to 40mg 2x/day. I brought the script to the pharmacy last night and was told by the tech that the pharmacist didn’t feel comfortable filling this script until she spoke with the doctor the following day due to my last vyvanse script being filled so recently. I wasn’t happy b/c I have specifically rearranged my schedule to see my psychiatrist early b/c of the issues I was having with the vyvanse, but I didn’t feel I had any choice, so I was told I would be called after talking to my doctor. All day today I checked my phone to see if I had any calls from the pharmacy for an update and checked online to see if my script had been filled yet. Finally at the end of work I called Meijer pharmacy to see where things were at and was told my script needed a prior authorization. I was confused b/c no one had said that last night nor had anyone called me to tell me that. The tech wasn’t sure so she asked me to hold to check with the pharmacist. The tech came back stating the pharmacist was finishing up with something and would call me back. At this point it was 330pm and I asked if I would be called back soon b/c my doctor’s office closed at 4pm so if I need something signed off I needed to call the doctor soon. She said it should only be a few minutes. I drove home which takes me about 30 minutes with no call back. I went to the pharmacy and was told that since 70mg is the max the insurance pays and the 40mg twice a day is 80mg they need a prior authorization submitted from the doctor. When I asked why I hadn’t been told of the change I was met with a blank stare and no answer. I was told they faxed the prior authorization to the doctor’s office last night. I quickly tried to call my doctor’s office a little after 4pm but the doctor had left for the day already. I asked if there were any options to get a partial fill or attempt to resubmit or any other ideas and was told no. There was no responsibility or empathy or apology given. My doctor’s office also told me that no one had called the doctor to check about the recent new script. The admin I had talked to at my doctor’s office called me shortly after and stated they had no prior authorization fax for me. I informed the pharmacist and was again met with no response. This is the only medication that helps me at all and jumping through all these hoops with no communication was extremely upsetting. I, unfortunately have to take a lot of medication and this one situation makes me want to take all my medication as well as my families and go somewhere else. I felt no support or help or team work to figure out a solution or at least a sorry you have to deal with all this.
[protected]

Comments

•   Jan 27, 2017

Let me see if I can shed some light on this for you.

Vyvanse is a schedule II controlled substance, regulated by the DEA/FDA. Now, your doctor wrote you a script, soon after you had filled one, increasing your dosage from 7mg per day, to 80mg per day (40mg twice per day). That is a hell of an increase. No responsible pharmacist would have filled that dosage without verifying it with your doctor. Add to that the fact that you just filled a script for the 7mg, and that sends up a red flag. The doctor could have saved you some headache by writing the sig to include the fact that the script was for an increase in dosage.

Now, your doctor should have also explained to you what the prior authorization is and why it was needed, instead of just saying he had not got one. The PA is not for or from your doctor, it is for/from your insurance. The fact that your insurance required it could mean a few different thing: the fact that they just paid for a fill and you are back with another before time, the dosage, or any number of other issues. The pharmacist will not know the insurance requires a PA until they submit the script for authorization, and they can not do that until your doctor explains the dosage, both to the pharmacist and the insurance. The doctor's office has to fill out and sign the PA for the insurance when the pharmacy faxes it.. Since nearly all pharmacies software includes a built in fax, this is done instantly.

Like it or not, happy or not, the pharmacy did everything exactly right as the law requires. Your schedule is not relevant to the pharmacy, nor do they really care. They are required to follow the law on all medications, and the law does not play when it comes to controlled substances and narcotics.

Next time, when you see your doctor in the morning, do not wait til his office closes to take your script to the pharmacy. When issues arise, there is nothing they can do until speaking to the doctor.

• Do
      Jan 27, 2017

@Wine Is Good it was 70mg a day not 7mg

•   Jan 27, 2017

Got you.You threw me off with the 7mg, and had I not been distracted I would have caught that. I don't know what I was thinking about. Anyway, after I went back and read it again, (I called my pharmacist to be sure), and the highest dosage recommended drug manufacturer is 70mg per day. So the 80mg is probably what did it. 70 to 80 normally would not be a big increase except for that. So that is likely the need for the pharmacist to talk to your doctor. That, and the fact that you has just filled it. The pharmacist knows this, but even if they don't, the software would flag it as such.

The pharmacist still has to follow the law either way. Good luck. PS>..always give yourself room for problems when it comes to filling controls.

• Do
      Jan 27, 2017

@Wine Is Good I guess I understand they need to follow procedures it was more the lack of communication or responsibility that was disappointing.