Megawin Promotional Prices / Check scam!

1 Canada Review updated:

I received a letter from megawin promotional prices stating I had won lottery for $44,000. and a check for $2,963.84 was enclosed with instructions to call claims mgr before cashing. I called and was told by Paul Booker (assistant to Steve Milton) to deposit the check and that would identify me as rightful person entitled to check. I deposited the check in my bank and wrote checks on the amount.I was contacted by my bank that the check drawn on Suntrust Bank and signed by Beverly Ann Carlin was fictitious and I had to pick the check upm and pay all cost incurred for returned checks that i had written.I am a senior citizen on fixed income and cannot afford these charges. This company and individuals involved in this scam need to be held responsible and pay all charges for their actions. The Canadian government needs to be made aware of these people and prosecute them. Their names are: Beverly Ann Carlin ,claims director--Steve Milton, client care manager,Paul Booker, asst care mgr.

Comments

• Va
      9th of Jan, 2007
    Megawin Promotional Prices - Too good to be true

So I got this letter in the mail today from Canada. Inside was a check for 3,000$ and a letter claiming I had won 52,000. I figured it was fake but the check looked extremely authentic. I called the number and they were closed, so I went online to investigate the company and found this great site. It seems everybody is winning big these days!

I figured it was too good to be true, but it felt good to hold a "real" check in my name for 3,000 clams. This one is the best scheme I have seen yet.

• Tb
      18th of Jan, 2007

I received the same check as you and they too were closed when i called. Thats a pretty good scheme if i say so.

• Ta
      12th of Feb, 2007

I received a letter in the mail with a check telling me that I had won a sweepstakes in the amount of $42,000.00. Enclosed was a check for $2,981.63. According to the letter my time was almost up because they had sent the letter to a previous address and by the time it came to me it was the last day I could call and claim my prize. No one asked for any personal information. All they wanted me to do was to deposit the check and once it cleared to call them and they would have me send them most of the amount I had deposited for fees. I was then told that within 2 to 3 days I would then receive my BIG check in the amount of $ 38,000.00. My new bank account that I had just opened for this check called to inform me that the check was a counterfeit. They closed my account and they are sending me all of the cash I had deposited into this account. Nothing will go on my credit report due to this. I did not write any checks against this one so I don't owe any fees or money because of this. I have no idea what they hoped to gain. The check was not a good counterfeit except to me!! So I really hope the people involved had some reason for this because it doesn't make sense to me.

• Ka
      16th of Feb, 2007

The very same thing happened to me. I received a letter stating I had won 44,000.00 and a check for 2963.84. I called the number and they said the check was to help pay for the non-residential taxes on my winnings. It seemed weird but I had never won anything before so I thought I was just being paranoid and the check seems real so I cashed it and paid the taxes. This is where I wish I would of just put my foot down and knew that it was a scam when they asked me to wire the money. I know to others this may have seemed stupid on my part for actually wiring money to a so called "tax advisor". The very next day after paying "taxes" my bank called me and told me the check was counterfeit. I about died. I don't work I have 2 kids to support I am just sick to my stomach. I think the worst part of all is my bank is treating me like I am the criminal that scammed the bank at not as a victim of this crime. Well now I am out 2963.84 I filed a report with the police but I am not going to count on ever getting my money back. I just hope I can help others from getting scammed. If anyone knows how to get these people and get my money back I would like to hear from you. All I can say is if it seems to good to be true it usually and probably is!

• St
      9th of Apr, 2007

So far i have received 2 of these for some reason. I called the # listed on the sender of the check, and there is someone there verifying the routing # and account # and the amount, he tells me to deposit it, however on the first one i received i sent it to my local news station via scan/email and he investigated it, and deemed it a scam, the second one i received i googled it and found the companies website, and found that the telephone numbers from the website and check didnt match. I found the Contact us link on the website and emailed the president of the company and he emailed me back that they'd had a check stolen and this had happened but they were scams and the account numbers had been changed so no real money was given to me and what they wanted was my money to be sent before i figured it out that my deposit would bounce. Then today i checked with the BBB and there is an FBI website set up for these types of scams, you go to www.ic3.gov and report a complaint and give them all the information regarding what you have received, because it is a federal crime to do this on an FDIC insured bank.

• Mi
      9th of Sep, 2008

Its funny just received a check for 4400.00 telling me to cash the check but first call this number boy they come up with some pretty good scams.

Watch Everyone if it sounds to good to be true dont believe the hipe