Megabrooke Farm / Bad service

Megabrooke Farm
928 6th Road
I purchased a female Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from Steve and Margaret Peg Friedrichs from Megabrooke Farm. The dog has since been diagnosed with a congenital defect at the age of 2.

After taking her to a neurologist, it was confirmed that she indeed had chiari-malformation/syringomyelia. A congenital defect that affects the brain and spine, causing symptoms ranging from mild discomfort to severe pain and partial paralysis, it is caused by a malformation in the lower back of the skull which reduces the space available to the brain, compressing it and often forcing it out (herniating it) through the opening into the spinal cord. The neurologist stated that indeed a dog can start to show symptoms as early as 6 months of age and that many times it is misconstrued as allergies (the condition is also known as neck scratchers disease) Her scratching began at 6 months of age and the vet was treating her for allergies the entire time. She was on numerous, anti-histamines, anti-fungals, shampoos and even had a skin scrape. It was not until we took her to the neurologist and got the MRI that it was confirmed.

Unfortunately, when I asked them to cover the MRI bill Peg refused and stated that as per her 1 year health guarantee, I did not meet the cut off date, even though the dog was symptomatic during the time the health guarantee was in effect.

Steve and Margaret Friedrichs also have another website called Backporch Farms www.backporchfarms.com they not only breed and sell Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, but also Basset Hounds, Toy Poodles, Yorkshire Terriers, Italian Greyhounds and English Bulldogs as well. Based on that information it is obvious that they ARE NOT breeding top quality, healthy dogs as their website states. As a matter of fact they had not even heard of the condition until I emailed them about it. How one can breed and sell that many dogs and not know anything about the genetic defects that can affect them is beyond me.

I am posting this to save other dog lovers the aggravation. I have contacted this company and no solution can been reached. Again, this is my own personal experience with these individuals and cannot speak for anyone else. I cannot even begin to tell you what this has cost me, not only financially but emotionally. Yes dogs get sick, there is a financial responsibility that comes with purchasing a pet but to have a dog diagnosed with such a horrible condition at such an early age is unimaginable.

Do your homework before buying a dog. Below is a link that offers information on how to purchase from a reputable breeder. Believe me you will save hundreds if not thousands of dollars in the end.

D  12th of Dec, 2009 by
Sorry about your experience. I purchased a bulldog from there a year and a half ago and it is healthy as can be.
D  20th of Jan, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
You state in your first paragraph that the dog was diagnosed at the age of 2, which was outside of the one year congenital defect guarantee. I really think they could sue you for slander/libel; you got back on here and called them liars! I think they would definitely have grounds to sue you.

This is why pet insurance is a great idea; also, they can't help that the dog was diagnosed with this at the age of 2; sometimes things just happen and it's no one's fault. If a child ends up with a fatal illness, can you blame the genetics of the parents or blame anyone? Not really.

You seem determined to ruin these people's lives. Next time, get pet insurance.
N  18th of Feb, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Have you purchased a dog from them? If not, then don't comment. I see you posted on my other post as well. This was my experience as I stated, the dog was diagnosed at 2 but had these symptoms long before!!!

When I contacted them they had not even heard of the disease, who breeds dogs without knowing full well about the various diseases? As far as pet insurance, they will not cover congenital defects, do some research.

I am not out to ruin anyone's life but instead educate others about the cluesless breeders that are out there...
N  22nd of Feb, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Guess what... I DID purchase a Yorkie from them a few years ago and he's the best little pet we've ever had! So I guess in your opinion, that gives me the right to comment.
D  6th of Jul, 2010 by
My family and I also purchased a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel from them in August of 2006. They were so nice to us. We've had absolutely a wonderful time so far with her, she's just been a great joy to have! We make little jokes here and there about, "oh, she's defective! she has a small head!" That's the largest defect with her, a slightly small head. So perhaps you are judging them a little too harshly. Unfortunately, they cannot guarantee to you that the dog you will get will have NO health problems. But they are doing their best to raise them in an extremely healthy environment.
N  20th of Jul, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
A small head is nothing to joke about!!

A small head, means a small skull. If the skull is too small it may not be able be to accommodate all of the brain’s cerebellum and so it squeezes through the foramen magnum – the hole at the back of the skull – partially blocking the flow of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) down the spinal cord. The variable pressure created by the abnormal flow of CSF is believed to create the SM cavities – called syrinx – in the spinal cord. The Cavalier that I purchased from them had this same condition and a small head just as yours.

I'm sure they are nice people, but just because you are nice doesn't mean you should be breeding. They were clueless about the breed and its genetic diseases. My biggest problem with them was when I contacted them about it so that they could tell other buyers who may have purchased from the same litter they didn't seem to be to concerned.

I'm sorry but nice doesn't cut it, if you're going to breed animals, educate yourself about them.
A  8th of Feb, 2011 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I purchased an English Bulldog from the clowns over at Megabrooke Farms. One the first day, in the first puppy poop she ever took for us we noticed blood. A week and a half later she was in the emergency hospital getting treated for Parvo. Turns out blood in the stool is one of a few signs of Parvo. Imagine that. Peg and Steve couldn't be bothered though. They insisted that she picked it up here, even though it wasn't mathematically possible given the time frame it takes to show symptoms. I believe our options were to either suck it up, or, return her to Kansas so they could euthanize her and give us a "replacement". Nice, huh? Luckily for Lola (our EB), she was purchased by two caring people who were willing to whatever it took to get her better, which turned out to be a loan for $4000+. I don't care how many people have success stories. I don't care how "nice" Peg and Steve are. If I wanted to sell a sick dog to someone, I'd be awfully nice too. Peg and Steve had the chance to be decent human beings and they failed miserably. I will trash these people and their business whenever I get the opportunity. The day Megabrooke Farms is out of business, the world will be a better place.
N  30th of May, 2013 by
I purchased a cavalier from peg & Steve in 2004. Brought him home and vet confirmed he had a herniated belly button. We had the belly corrected during his neutering. I notified them and they never responded. In 2005 I purchased another cavalier from a fancy breeder for more than twice the money I spent at megabrooke farms and he has had his own set of medical issues. Pure bred dogs have medical problems. My next dog will be a mutt from the rescue.
N  2nd of Dec, 2015 by

N  2nd of Apr, 2017 by
I find it disheartening that a "responsible" breeder has never heard of one of the more common and potentially fatal genetic defects associated with this particular breed. I thought Peg and Steve were both nice when we bought our Cavalier from them as well, but it wouldn't be very good business to treat clients poorly. Our dog came home with bloody stools as well, and was diagnosed with Campylobacter infection. Next time I would ask to see the kennels more closely before buying from a breeder.