Mega Life and Health / NASE / HealthMarkets / New health insurance agents ripped off

1 North Richland Hills, TX, United States Review updated:

I was a top producer for the NASE/Mega Life and Health for several years before the ether wore off. The trips were great--it was exciting being part of the team, and I made a six figure income. Like ALL Mega Agents, this was my first health insurance sales gig (shouldn't that have been a red flag?).

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I found that we were offering watered down, inferior health insurance policies that paid very little if any claims. Never a maximum out-of-pocket maximum (check your brochures for that specific terminology--you won't find it), high deductibles, high co-insurance, and if there were co-pays they had low limits (like everything else). We were trained to say that because our clients were now members of the NASE that they would only experience an industry low 8-10% rate increase annually. (Then why am I getting calls every day from my over 400 clients saying that they just got a huge rate increase between 15-40%?

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I found that Mega was being sued left and right, getting kicked out of more progressive states, despite name changes and various shell games. How many of your clients have canceled after doing an internet search on Mega?

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I saw the effects of the difference between the Mega advances and any other company's commissions (advances are loans with interest you have to pay back) which put me, like all Mega Agents into debt.

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I saw that my stock plan that was supposed to take care of my future retirement was a mirage. After three years and over $2 million in production I was vested with less than $10,000 in stock. So I would have to work at this pace for the next 100 years to retire a millionaire (a little different story than I was sold in orientation). That stock didn't even cover my alleged debt to the company when I left.

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I saw my bonuses whittle away instead of grow like they were supposed to. After Ron Jensen, the founder, passed away, the company made some changes. The REAP (production bonus) was changed to a QPC (production bonus). My production bonuses went from over $6,000 every other month, to under $1,500 every three months. That is a huge cut in pay. Not very motivating.

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I found that I was driving all over the place at over $3.00 a gallon while independent brokers were making all their sales over the phone and internet.

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I was forced to buy leads, even though I was producing more than ever before, because that was "expected" of senior agents.

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I discovered that independent brokers were making three times as much money with none of the expenses.

Over time, like all Mega Agents, I came to believe that there must be a better way. And I found it. If you would like to find a better way--a better way to make even more money, a better way to offer your clients more selection of the best health insurance options available in the marketplace, a better way to realize your dreams ethically, then please email me at exmegaagent@yahoo.com so we can talk.

I can help you in several ways:

1. I can assist you in forming an exit strategy. Don't just get frustrated and quit! Big mistake! You deserve more!

2. I can help you develop a plan to combat that bogus debt that Mega says you owe them. Do you think its fair that Mega is the most profitable insurance company in the world, while the whole time you made them that way and now you owe them money?

3. I can point you in the right direction when it comes to who you should be working with and how to get contracted with them. With the companies I current work with, I make 3 times the commissions, I acquire zero debt, I get 60 quality internet leads a week FOR FREE, I am vested immediately 100% on my residuals which never go away, I don't drive unless I want to, and I have total FREEDOM!

Email me at exmegaagent@yahoo.com for more information. You owe it to clients, your family and yourself.

Comments

• Kr
      11th of Jul, 2008

I am interested in hearing what you have to say. Please contact me at sully0433@gmail.com

28th of Oct, 2008

exmegaagent, very good article, because I just signed on board and now I'm dazed and confused, need some insperation and exit strategy & advice. Much Thanks.
    email: jonovotny222@yahoo.com

26th of Feb, 2009

A great insurance agent can sell ### and call it sugar. They know how to roll with the punches. You, on the other hand, are just a winer.

• Sm
      7th of Jul, 2009

I actually just got the spiel from them today and I am very interested in speaking with you if you could email me at smeiers@sbcglobal.net, I would REALLY appeciate it. Thank you.

• Ro
      29th of Sep, 2009

I agree with you. I am an exMidwest/Mega agent. Had trained may agents over my career. Run the state as the District and was left w/ a HUGE BILL myself when we had a claim. I saw the light and quit. If it isn't good enough for me and my family, it's not good enought for my clients.

• Ho
      6th of Oct, 2009

I am interested in your company. I just had an interview today with Health Markets and it seemed almost to good to be true. I have never sold insurance before and I want to get in the game to help people and make some money. Please email me at michaelc.fultz@gmail.com

• Je
      16th of Oct, 2009

Thanks for your article. I am no longer with Health Markets. I just recieved a bill for $1300 from my upside account. Burns my butt! What advice do you have?

26th of Oct, 2009

I signed on with them and was embarresd when went to doctor. They are saying its a wellness plan need to get away from this insurance if anyone call help me please email me at renelwaa@yahoo.com.

26th of Oct, 2009

Was hoping someone could email me with a tip on how to cancel this insurance and stop them from taking money out of my bank account. renelwaa@yahoo.com is my email address. Thanks anyone who responds

1st of Nov, 2009

Thank you I am currently studying to take my health and Life insurance exam in the state of ct and was considering working for UGA and glad that i did my research.

I still would like to become an independent broker, how to??

• Tm
      12th of Dec, 2009

I am looking to communicate with anyone who has had a bad experience with MEGA Health & Life Insurance Company (sponsored by the National Association the Self Employed – NASE), especially in regard to paying excessive premiums for insurance coverage that left them stuck owing unexpected and excessively high out-of-pocket expenses that they believe the company lied to them about when they were sold their policy.

I have a law firm preparing to sue the company, and it would be helpful if others can share their experience and/or want to join in the suit at absolutely no cost to them.

I can be reached at: tmitche22@att.net

Thank you.

• Sc
      5th of Feb, 2010

I am also a former agent from HealthMArkets. I heard the great potential and benefits. They told us no charge backs on the 6 months commissions and all this stock and residulas. They ordered me business cards, had me calling tons of leads. Then I tried to sell the insurance, and not many people wanted some no name company they had no information on. I worked like a dog on those leads, only to find out they were not prime A-leads, but picked over recirculated A-leads other agents already worked. I spent money on flyers, pull-tabs, and all sorts of goodies to get business. When I finally quit, they sent me a bill for 85% of everything they ever paid to me. Needless to say, they will not be seeing anything from me. They are the biggest rip-off artists in the business.

• Jc
      11th of Jun, 2010

I worked for Insphere, Mega Life, Health Markets, whatever they call themselves and I found the company to be a scam. The training was 3 days and most of those days were spent BSing and talking about the stock plan and advances. Every weekly meeting was spent mostly talking about the stock plan, bonuses and advancements instead of training with new products. I seriously believe that this company gets kickbacks from lead companies since they do not provide any decent leads whatsoever. Most of the people I called from the leads Insphere provided the number was cancelled, the person already had insurance, the person never lived there, you name it. I refuse to purchase leads too since the company should be helping out. Then the company preaches that you are an independent agent yet I was terminated recently for I assume not making sales even though I was never contacted by the company about any problems.

• Bj
      27th of Nov, 2010

ex mega agent, I agree with most of what you have to say except your spamming of this forum. You being an independent agent is neither impressive nor valid to this thread.

Since you want to tell agents where they should contract at, I will give consumers some good advice

For health insurance use Aetna or Blue Cross if your healthy, maybe Humana but never the HMO

for life insurance it really depends, I've bought 3 policies in my life and the last one I purchased from YourLifeSolution.com which was an incredibly simple process since the site provides quotes immediately

• Fl
      8th of Feb, 2011

Health Markets is a Multi Level Marketing organization. Their health insurance plans are complete garbage and still cost more than legit plans from reputable insurers. They train their agents to lie about the plans to customers taking advantage of agents lack of knowledge. The only customers who say they are happy with their plans are the ones who have never filed a claim.

Health Markets has a consistent track record of being fined by State Insurance Depts as well as class action lawsuits from past customers. They are by far the dirtiest player in the health insurance game. Despite all of the fines and lawsuits they still make a profit because they never payout claims, and yet they were given an exemption to health care reform mandates by Obama's people, letting to continue to rip off us taxpayers.

• Da
      27th of Dec, 2011

I worked for Insphere for 8 months. Their meetings were HYPE to get agents to believe if they sell the HIGH deductible plans and Supplements to unsuspecting consumers, they can make alot of money...All the Cheerleader garbage gets new agents out there to sell crap and put people in vulnerable positions. I left when I realized the scam and out of the $5600 I made in 5 months, I am told I owe $2800 back. I have talked to others, we all have had the same collection letters. I drained my savings
    waiting for the great reward to come and it never did and I was ill at the thought of selling people bad/little coverage plans..

• Bh
      30th of Jul, 2014

After reading this post and just quitting the company myself, I see they really haven't changed over the years. I only worked for the company 5 months and once I realized they had me on a 100% advance commission with interest, I owe 3500.00! I sincerely didn't have anyone explain the draw to me, and your checks don't have any clear accounting on them so your like blind to what your actually getting paid on. Once I realize I ask my sale manager to reduce me to as earned and he said NO don't do that just go to 30% and then you won't owe anything. Yeah right!! Wow that was a lie! I asked the home office last night for a clear understanding of the 3500.00 and she was real vague. I did just get an email from another guy and he told me each 1000.00 commission is charge just under 20.00 dollars of interest. Thank God I quit before I owed THOUSANDS to this company!