Medvance Institute / Terrible experience!

1640 Congress AveWest Palm Beach, FL, United States Review updated:
2.35
Phone: 561-304-3466

I was nurse student of Medvance and I did a first semester and I got good grades but at second semester one of teacher on clinicals try to difficult my learning, I am from another country and medical words is difficult to me to spell it. I tried to explain to her that because on clinicals you no suppose to take any kind book to verify your grammar then she was rude and talk as fast she could and I fell lost and discriminate because that and I loose around 6000 dollars. I was paying in cash for my tuition. have to give up because I could stand be humiliate that way and I find out most of other schools we can not transfer credits.

My experience with medvance institute was a big waste of time and money and they did not anything to solution this problem!!! Be careful foreign students.
Va

Comments

Sh
  1st of Aug, 2008
If you are from another country and can not spell English Medical words properly, then you really shouldn't be in the allied health field. Understand that alot of medical words are similar and when dealing with patient records if you put the wrong thing down or the term is mispelled you will be held liable. If I was a patient I would not want a foriegn nurse who didn't fully understand English and how to properly spell medical words. Really the fact that you were accepted amazes me, which says something about the intitution. You didn't have to right a entrance paper or anything? When they saw you had difficulty spelling you wouldn't of gotten in. That right of the bat tells me that institution must in it for the money.
Ja
  23rd of May, 2009
Both above poster's are right and wrong on different points, so I feel the need to clarify and distinguish the good info from the bad...

I agree with Andrew, there's no way in HELL that the original complaint poster should've been accepted to the program. The inability to read/write fluent English should disqualify a person from working in the medical field on the spot. However, the statement that Medvance is "in it for the money", is a hasty accusation. How many reviews have you read? You can't judge an institution based on one complaint.

Alot of kids in college experiment with drugs. Therefor, the US college system is trash for admitting drug addicts. See how well generalizations work? I know several people who have graduated from Medvance Baton Rouge, LA, and they're all well qualified to work in hospital settings.
Jo
  29th of Jun, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Well, I did do some more research on this school's ratings. I was considering their Biomedical Technology course... not anymore! After reading bad review after bad review, I went to the Better Business Bureau. This is copied and pasted right from their site (with link below):

Company Rating F
Our opinion of what this rating means:
We strongly question the company’s reliability for reasons such as that they have failed to respond to complaints, their advertising is grossly misleading, they are not in compliance with the law’s licensing or registration requirements, their complaints contain especially serious allegations, or the company’s industry is known for its fraudulent business practices.

Medvance Institute is no longer in consideration for me... not even if it was for free!
Lo
  17th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
MedVance is a very good school with a great reputation in the medical community. The school could have easily been accused of discrimination if it did not allow that nursing student the opportunity at success by giving her a shot in the nursing program. Since the student tried it and failed, somehow the school is at fault. If the school was in it for the money, it would have been easy to just keep passing her along and take her money. No-the school did everything right and deserves kudos.
Ly
  28th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I start my calsses at MedVance on Tuesday, so I have not had that much time with teachers, but I have spent alot of time with the rest of the faculty. I have to say that they have been amazing! Quick to return my calls, polite, and helpfull in any way you need! The people in financial aid were great, they made the process very easy for me to understand and afford. I did notice that there are not many reviews for this school so I just wanted to put my opinion out there in hopes that it will help anyone who is looking for info on this school. It is a great option for anyone with kids, or has a full time job the hours are very flexable.
Ra
  7th of Feb, 2010
I looked them up and found this for the site in LA:
BBB Rating for Medvance Institute
Based on BBB files, Medvance Institute has a BBB Rating of A on a scale from A+ to F.

From Cookville, TN:
BBB Rating for MedVance Institute
Based on BBB files, MedVance Institute has a BBB Rating of NR .
Reasons for this rating include: * This business is not currently rated. BBB does not have sufficient information to issue a rating for this business.

From Nashville, TN
Based on BBB files, MedVance Institute has a BBB Rating of B- on a scale from A+ to F.
Reasons for this rating include:
* BBB does not have sufficient information to determine how long this business has been operating.
* BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business.

Westpark, Houston, TX:
Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of F on a scale from A+ to F. Reasons for this F rating include:
* Failure to respond to 2 complaints filed against business
* BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business

N Sam Houston, TX:
Based on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of C on a scale from A+ to F. Reasons for this C rating include:
* BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business
BBB has processed no customer complaints on this company in its three year reporting period.

There is no BBB listing at all for their location in Grand Prairie, TX

From this you can see that each location is handled individually by the BBB. You really need to read each report for the location you are considering and get an answer to the rating from that location. However, for a business to not cooperate with the BBB and take care of complaints is very concerning.
Gi
  24th of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
their tuition is outrageous, 23000 for the LVN course and before you can get in you have to have medical experience, so they try to get you to take a Medical Assistant program which is 20000, so by the time you are done with the program you are already in debt of about over 40, 000! that is crazzzzzzzy! As an Lvn you don't even begin to make 40, 000 until after 5 years. Go check out your local community colleges before you consider MedVance, the tuition for the LVN program at Houston Community College if in district will be at least 4, 000! Big differences and you don't have to have prior medical knowledge! I guess MedVance is okay if you got money to burn. Sure they are in for the money but they are a business and that is what businesses do, make money! just be wise and look at all your options.!!!
Do
  8th of Apr, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I'm currently a student in the Medical Billing & Coding program at the Grand Prairie, TX
campus. I can truely say that I have learned alot by being in the program but it could have been better. To me the staff was helpful and made sure that everything was going fine for the students the first 2 weeks of school then everthing changed, now the staff barely speaks and acknowledge you. Every month as new students come I see the same thing going on. This campus teacher turnover rate is very high. I have never been to a school where teachers come and go on a day to day or month to month basis. There is no such thing at this campus called confidentuality, everybody knows everything that goes own even who cant make their monthly payments for school. I can truely say that we have had some of the best instructors come our way, theres no use in trying to get to know your instructors because they are there one minute and at the blink of a eye its over. Financial Aid is about the best thing popping in the school. I would not recommend this school to no one. Keep looking.
Me
  12th of Apr, 2010
My experience with the Baton Rouge Campus was horrendous. I was in the Medical Billing and Coding program and I hate to say it but my Program Advisor Ms. Williams was just "ghetto". For me ghetto is not a stereotypical word when you see my meaning. Ghetto is anyone who is highly unprofessional, lacking judgment, unable to talk in a inside voice, degrading to other individuals, lacks any type of etiquette, speaks of highly private things in the public, and can not teach. I spent five hours a day for four days a week not learning about CPT codes and Insurance. NO!!! I learned about her Superbowl party, her boyfriend, her daughters, here crawfish boils on the weekends, and who she thought was "messy" at the school. I tried to talk to the directors at the time, Mr. Russ and Mrs. DaKenya but they are a joke as well. When I went to see them they were sharing an office eating Raising Cane's. I tried to stick it out, but it's too unorganized and professional to stay and pay $13, 000. I withdrew after two long, wasteful months. Good bye Medvance and that Ms. Williams!!!
Nv
  15th of Jun, 2010
This place sucks!!! I had a teachers assistant try 2 fail me cuz she didnt like me n yes I said assistant she was left 2 give out grades after the teacher quit...Then I had another teacher try 2 fail me & 80% of the class so we could come in on fridays so she could get over time money... 3 weeks after I was supposed to start on my extern I'm told they don't have a site with flexibility & maybe I should find my own if not quit my job & extern at a site thats not hiring!!! I only passed becuz I read & re-read my books knowing what I know now I could have just bought the books & taken the test it would have been thousands less!!! I did have a few GREAT teachers but it's hard 2 realize their greatness cuz the business aspects of the school are so poorly handled!!!I went to the Nashville campus & would not recommend this place to a friend or foe or anyone at all!!!
Co
  21st of Jul, 2010
To the foreign student...and others who commented to him/her...Who are you to say they are not allowed to be introduced to schooling in THIS country. That is what they are here for to learn and go back to their country and practice what they have learned. If you don't know the meaning of ignorance people that is indeed and example.

I disgusted to read how OUR AMERICAN people are so quick to degrade others when they were afford the oppourtunity to do better in their lives. That individual was paying for their education out of pocket. DID YOU!?

To NICCO, get your education and work on your medical terminology if you have to say it in Spanish do so. It is the secondary language of the US.

Nicco, la buena suerte en todo su endevours y yo oran que usted lo haga a donde usted quiere ser.
  26th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
(GRAND PRAIRIE CAMPUS) Medvance Sucks i just finished my Medical billing program and no funking job yet and on top of that the school (career service department) has not landed my one funking interview $15, 00 for what?
Pi
  28th of Jul, 2010
WOW! I wish I would have searched for some type of input on Medvance before I enrolled at the Baton Rouge site in Nov. 2009 in the Medical Billing and Coding program. I have to agree with most of the comments, sadly. Medvance was a horrible experience for me as well. I could name, names of ALL the people there that were unprofessional but I will not go there (besides, I would have to type all day). I too was mislead by Medvance in every way. My time too was wasted. I received a full paid grant to attend and I am sorry to the people who paid my way. I also asked my scholarship fund to seriously consider stopping all funding to Medvanve, Baton Rouge. I wish I could have used that money to continue my education elsewhere. My advice to anyone considering Medvance is explore all of your options! If all you are seeking as a student is Medvance. You are not seeking much. Consider what a community college has to offer, you can get the same thing at other schools for way cheaper and have a better learning experience. Consider a community college, may take more time but fast isn't always best
  6th of Sep, 2010
I AGREE WITH ALL THE NEGATIVE THINGS SAID ABOUT MEDVANCE, AND YES I AM CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THIS SCHOOL. THEY JUST WANT TO TAKE YOUR MONEY. THE TEACHERS THAT SAY YOU ARE A GOOD STUDENT AND THAT THEY HAVE YOUR BACK...IS A BUNCH OF B.S. TEACHERS ARE NOT PROFFESIONAL, THEY DONT TREAT EVERY STUDENT THE SAME, THE PROGRAM DIRECTORS SUCK..THEY JUS FILL IN HOLES. THEY HAVE A BIOMEDICAL TEACHER TEACHING BILLING AND CODING. WHEN HE DNT KNOW ANYTHING BOUT BILLING AND CODING.THE SCHOOL DIRECTOR IS FULL OF [censor]..DIRTY BATHROOMS, , COMPUTERS ARE ALWAYS DOWN!!OH...THE 7 COMPUTERS THAT THEY HAVE. EACH TEACHER FOLLOWS HER OWN RULES, NOT SCHOOL POLICIES, THEY GIVE U BREAKS WHENEVER THAY FEEL LIKE IT. SCHOOL REPS MESSIN AROUND WITH STUDENTS IN THER OFFICES, TEACHERS WITH STUDENT, TEACHERS WITH STUDENTS HUSBANDS. THEY TEACH US, , OR BETTER YET TRY TO TEACH US DRESSEED NOT AS PROFESSIONALS, BUT LUKIN IK PROSTITUTES. AT THE MOMENT OF THE TRUTH WHEN U NEED HELP NOBODY KNOWS NOTHING!!! THERE IS NOT SECURITY IN THE SCHOOL ANYBODY COULD JUS WALK IN AND BLOW THE PLACE UP. THER MITES EVERYWHERE. IF THEY DNT HAVE INSTRUCTORS AVAILABLE, THE SCHOOL JUST WILL SENT YOU HOME FOR 1, 2, 3 mos out. and then they will call u to come bck in...REALLY THIS WAS SUPPOSE TO BE A GREAT EXPERIENCE FOR ME, GOING BACK TO SCHOOL AFTER SO LONG, MAKING A SACRIFICE LIKE EVERYONE ELSE PAYING EVERY MONTH.DNT WADTE UR $!!!LIKE ME PEOPLE...I WISH I WOULD OF MADE BETTER RESEARCH ON MEDVANCE...20, 000$ WASTED...ALL IN BOOKS. WHICH IN 16 DAYS THAT HOW MUCH IS THE LENGTH OF A CLASS IS GET 4 BOOKS WHICH U ONLY GET TO READ 1 OR 2 CHAPTRES DURING THE LENGHT OF THE CLASS WA BOUT THE ODER 3 BOOKS! EXACTLY I NEVA GOT TO USE THEM CUZ IZ B.S. SO THEY CAN TAK UR MONEY!!!
  6th of Sep, 2010
FORTLAUDERDALE MEDVANCE SUCKS!!! TOM BONNIE THE DIRECTOR SUCKS!!! WE NEED NEW ADMINISTRATION THERE!!! LETS GET RID OF ALL THE ROTTEN APPLES FIRST... ...SO MEDVANCE COULD BECOME W HAT THEY REALLY SOLD IT OUT TO BE!!!DNT LET ALL THE TV SEGMENT FOOL YA MA PPL...SAY NO TO MEDVANCE!!!1
Ni
  9th of Sep, 2010
COOKEVILLE MEDVANCE INSTITUTE SUCKS AS WELL...I HAVE BEEN GIVEN THE RUN AROUND WHEN I GOT TO NASHVILLE TO FINISH CLINICALS. FIRST IT WAS PAPERWORK MISSING OUT OF MY FILE...THEN AFTER I WAS DROPPED FROM THE PROGRAM THEY FOUND THEM...BUT THEY DIDNT TELL ME I WAS DROPPED...AFTER I GOT BACK IN THEY WONT AND CANT FIND ME A CLINICAL SITE TO FINISH.
Sw
  9th of Sep, 2010
Please contact me to discuss your issues. Sunil Wadhwa, National Dean: 443-257-6063 or SWadhwa@edaff.com.
Dg
  31st of Oct, 2010
I AM CURRENTLY A STUDENT AT MEDVANCE FOR THE MEDICAL BILLNG PROGRAM AND I JUST WANT TO SAY WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME THIS SCHOOL IS. ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS THE MONEY. 15000 DOLLARS DOWN THE DRAIN . MEDVANCE SUCKS. DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL YOUR BETTER OFF GOING SOMEWHERE ELSE.
Je
  14th of Nov, 2010
i went to medvance and kept all A's and B's i graduated in sept of 09 the career service did not help me at all to find a job they got me like two interviews after a graduated and both employers told me they would not hire me because i came from there doctors dont even consider medvance a school and now im in dept with almost ten grand for no reason at all. that school fires and hires new career services people because no one is getting a job and their blaming it on the staff when its the whole school they just need to shut the school down and stop lien and cheating people out of thousands of dollars these days are hard enough we dont need to be scammed by a school that is suppose to help us but instead makes EVERYTHING harder and takes our money that dont have in the first place but we sacrifice because we believe were makeing our lives better and easier (such a lie)... going there was pointless and im trying to sue them because i refuse to pay for a service I DID NOT RECEIVE. o and on top of that despite my grades ALL the teachers didnt even teach in the classroom they where more worried about telling the class about their personal experiance and telling us stories i even had a teacher that said read the book and answer questions and when testing came around EVERY STUDENT GOT A F ON THE TEST. THE TEACHER COULDNT EVEN COUNT THAT TEST IN THE BOOKS. SAD SAD SAD SAD
So
  21st of Dec, 2010
All everyone on this board wants to do is blame others. The schools do the best they can and, as you can see by the complaints, the students the schools are trying to teach do not have a basic education. I give America 25 more years before it implodes on itself due to lack of education, no ethics (like not paying back loans for services rendered), frivilous lawsuits, and unsustainable spending. I hope everyone on this board is willing to learn Chinese.