Mediamogulme.com / Unauthorized charges

1 Review updated:

Found This unauthorized transaction on my Paypal account on 12/11/08 in the amount of 29.95. Also found one from iCareer for 1.97 on the same date, only hours apart. I have not used this card for weeks, and only used it the DAY before this charge appeared to order a pizza online from Papajohns.com.

Calling the 800 number did no good, as I got an automated message, and the 800 number for Papajohns.com swears they are 100% secure from anyone getting credit card info via their ordering site. (I'm not new to the internet, nothing is 100% secure, but didn't argue with her.) If you used the pizza website ordering option, check to see if the mediamogulme.com charge appears soon afterwards. Just to coincidental for me.

Now I have to wait for the transaction to clear paypal before I can dispute it, and wait another 5 days for the money to reappear in my bank account!

Bi

Comments

• Do
      Dec 22, 2008

unauthorized charges on my credit card

• Wi
      Dec 25, 2008

I have never heard of MEDIAMOGULME.COM unitl about 5 minutes ago when I discovered a charge on my account. I have not used this card all week!!! I am not certain how my card number was accessed. I starting to wonder about the internet! Wait, I have not used the card on the internet! I phone [protected]. However, it is Christmas and there is not an answer.

• Wi
      Dec 25, 2008

Thank you very much. I am sorry this has happen to us!

• Kj
      Dec 27, 2008

Don't blame Papa Johns. I have had the same thing happen also. I first recieved a subscription to Netflix, which they gladly terminated and refunded my money. I immediatly canceled the card used for this transaction. Today I recieved a notice in the mail from my bank stating that they have charged me $29.95 for a subscription to MEDIAMOGULME.COM to the card that I had canceled. I called the bank and have filed a fraud claim with my bank against this charge. I have seen several other complaints similar to these on the internet. The one question I have is what bank or banks are those of us dealing with this members of? I am a member of Bank of America, and have seen at least one other posting from someone who uses BOA. If we are all BOA members, then this seems like a loss of secure information by them and they need to take care of it immediatly. In the meantime, I will also be filing a police report.

Dec 28, 2008

I have just recently fallen victim as well. I bank with USAA so it isn't realted to BOA or Papa John's. I have recently made a few purchases on the internet., and I'm wondering if our information was captured by some sort of malware/spyware on our PC's/Unsecured network. BE AWARE that I have a lot more unauthorized charges other then just the one mentioned above. I have 12 charges in total that I never authorized. They range in price from $1.95 (GOVAUCTNET.COM) to $56.85 (ZONELABS.COM). They have all hit my account in the last 2 days. The card has since been reported for fraud abuse.

A concern that I have is I recently updated my PC with a new Antispy/Antivirus from www.pctools.com. This happened 2 days before all this has started.

Anyone else with poss same issue?

• Jg
      Dec 29, 2008

These people and websites have to be stopped!

Dec 29, 2008

I too was somehow signed up for this scam. Along with Stamps.com and Grant Master. All three on the same day. 12/26/2008. I was so sick the day after Christmas that I never left my bed and I did not use this debit card online but once to order anything but 2 iPods from Apple of the past few months. The scariest part is that they knew so much about me. My personal information etc. I just spent a good 2-3 hours trying to get these 3 scams cleaned up. Now, I am so afraid that there are more!

• Js
      Dec 29, 2008

Don't waste your time trying to call the customer service number. The same problem happened to me. I call the number, but it was Christmas (just like you). I waited until today (the 29th) and I all I got was a run-around. The woman on the phone barely spoke English and was absolutely no help. She kept stalling asking for MORE personal information from me and kept saying she was having problems accessing my account. When I explained that this was a fraudulent charge and I wanted the account deleted and money credited back to my account she said, "Why don't you take advantage of the service since it is already paid for". I nearly flipped! When I threatened to take legal action, she abruptly hung up on me and I haven't been able to get through the toll free number (you have listed) since. Your best bet is to file a complaint on the Federal Trade Commission website and provide them with any and all information you can provide. I already have. Someone needs to stop this people from taking advantage of others.

• Kr
      Dec 30, 2008

ON 12/28/08 THERE WERE UNAUTHORIZED CHARGES MADE TO MY DEBIT CARD. SOME ONE ACQUIRED MY DEBIT CARD NUMBER FRAUDULANTLY AND HAS BEEN USING IT TO MAKE ON LINE PURCHASES. IN ADDITION TO THE AMOUNT OF THE FRAUDULANT CHARGE I AM ALSO BEING ASSESSED A FEE FOR USAGE FROM VISA INTERNATIONAL SERVICE.
    I FULLY INTEND TO HAVE THIS PERSON OR PERSONS PROCECUTED TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW. SC LAW INFORCEMENT, MY BANK, MY ATTORNEY AS WELL AS MYSELF ARE INVESTIGATING ALL THE CHARGES MADE ON MY ACCOUNT. IF NECESSARY I WILL FILE A CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST ALL THESE COMPANIES SUCH AS MEDIAMOGULME.COM, WHO PRACTICE AND CONDONE THIS TYPE OF FEDERAL CRIME.

Dec 31, 2008

I just recently purchased a Iphone and have downloaded some songs from Itunes. Does anyone else have that same commonality. I would really like to track down where this breach in security is.

• Mi
      Jan 02, 2009

Yeah I had the same thing happen to me. $29.95 from mediamogulme.com. I also got one from Netflix (who promptly refunded me when I called them), Columbia House (also refunded), etc. I too am trying to track down how they got my CC number, which I only used for secure online ordering. I wonder if I used this CC number on a computer with spyware loaded on it and that is how the CC number was compromised...either that or some credit card processor further up the food chain has been compromised. One thing I noticed in common with these companies is that they all have affliate programs, so for example, if you sign someone up for NetFlix (http://www.netflix.com/Affiliates), you get $9.00 per subscriber. I think the scammers are just after these volume signup commissions. Identifying the affliates associated with this fraud activity will probably lead to the scammers. These companies are probably unwitting victims also, but they have opened the door for these fraudsters with lax oversight of their affliate programs...they are probably not in a rush to close the door on this activity since it must be generating some decent revenue for them. One way to close it down is to report it as fraud...the number of chargebacks they receive will eventually make it a losing business proposition for them and they will be forced to address the issue. I think they count on a certain percentage not noticing the bogus charges and letting it go through which only encourages the practice.

• Fi
      Jan 02, 2009

same here. got a call on xmas eve from visa of suspicious charges on my debit card to include mediamogulme, netflix and stamps.com. cancelled my card immeidately. 7 days later the mediamogulme charge showed up for $29.50, the others have not shown up yet. Will have to dispute thru my bank I assume. Don't know how this happened, I am very careful.

• Ev
      Jan 02, 2009

Mine were Netflix and Blockbuster in November and Stamps.com last week. I didn't cancel at first because of all the hassle of changing the number with all the automatic billers, it's much easier just to get it removed by your bank.

Jan 04, 2009

Have any of you bought anything from Geeks.Com or ComputerGeeks.Com before December 5th, 2007??? If so, that might be the reason. The nearest I can figure is that someone used my cc# from that list. I think credit card companies should change their users' numbers as a matter of course every two years or so. Also there wasn't much publicity about this hack...I found out about it from a google search tonight. I got my first hint something was up when I got a package I didn't order from VistaPrint.Com. Then I saw my credit card invoice tonight and HIT THE ROOF. Same pattern of charges from mediamogulme.com.

Jan 04, 2009

Oh yeah, link to Geeks.Com hack info: http://consumerist.com/341408/geekscom-website-hacked-customer-data-stolen

Jan 04, 2009

Another potentially connected fraudulent charge: ECORE FUN 00. Two charges of $59.95 each. This freaking sucks.

Jan 05, 2009

Hey all figured I would send an update after filling out (AFFIDAVIT OF FRAUD AND FORGERY) all the correct paper work with my bank. My account has now been hit with 21 seperate chanrges from all different sources. This has now come to a total of $336.96. I highly advise anyone that has been hit with the original charge from MediaMogulMe.com to cancel your card number ASAP and report this to your bank.

• Ho
      Jan 05, 2009

This additional charge has happened twice to me. Once in November and again in December even after I cancelled one bank card and got another. Somehow the bank allowed them to bill me and paid it using the cancelled card number. Does anyone know if the address listed for the company, KR Thigpen 420 Douglas Dr Beach Island SC is a good address and if so what is the supposed service they sell.

• Za
      Jan 06, 2009

It looks like MediaMogulMe.com has been making lots of money off of unsuspecting victims like myself & all the others here during the month of December '08. I also found a charge for $29.95 on my bank debit card on 12/22/08. To say that I was somewhat shocked by this is an understatement. I had just gotten this card a few weeks before due to the same crap happening on my old card. I have never heard of this company & have no idea how they got my new card # cuz I have barely used it online. If i did use it, it was only on secure sites. I did call MMM's phone # and got a woman who was courteous but she asked for alot of personal info like my address, phone # & email address in order to look up my supposed account. I told her that I never signed up for them but she claimed that I did over a year ago. I went back & checked my records & there was nothing to show that I had. So they're either lying or confusing me w/someone else. I 'd say it's more likely the former. Anyway, I told her that I never signed up & to cancel the membership. Incredibly, she tried to talk me into keeping it & went on a 3 min rant about all the benefits of being a member. I told her no again & she said ok. It's been 10 days & I have yet to see a refund on my account. You can bet i'll be watching this like a hawk until it does show up. If not, I guess i'll have to cancel my card again. Really a sad state of affairs.

• Na
      Jan 06, 2009

I had charges from columbia house and pomclear in Nov. I cancelled the card immediately when I saw the charges. I had also used that card a week earlier at papajohns.com like the original poster. I received a new card with a new number. I had only used it one time at my bank's atm before i got charges from mediamogulme a few days later. I immediately cancelled that one too. I also got a letter in the mail from stamps.com thanking me for creating an account with them but no charges, probably because I was quick to cancel the card.

• Na
      Jan 06, 2009

edit: I also do not bank with BOA. I use a local credit union. All of my charges were just reversed today except for the columbia house one which I'm waiting on a postage label from them to return the trial dvd's I got in the mail.

• Sm
      Jan 06, 2009

I had the exact thing happen to me. Same people. All of the sudden a charge for 29.99 came onto my account and then later another for 19.99. I didn't relize this was happening until 2 weeks after they did it due to my daughter being in the hospital for a bone marrow transpant. After talking to the company for 30 min they finaly agreed to give me a refund. Well they gave me a confirmation number and everything and here i sit 3 weeks later still waiting for my money. I filed a police report and reported unauthorized use of my card to my bank. I don't know what else to do. Its horrible these people are getting away with stealing money from people who have very little to begin with. Especially as mine happened right before christmas and made my account overdraw. This left my daughter presentless this year. I wish I knew a way to make these people pay for what they did.

• Di
    MediaMogulMe.com - Unathotozed charges
    MediaMogilme

I have inatorized charges of the amount of 29.95 and 1.00 2 days apppart from this company. I never even knew about their existance untill I get my Visa statement and sow those charhes. I'm currently filing a dispute with my Vreadit Card comany against them. They should be unger investifation.

• Ba
      Jan 08, 2009
    MediaMogulMe.com - $ from checking account
    Barbara Brown
    3203 KILDOON DRIVE
    Newark
    Delaware
    Phone: [protected]

Again I had money deducted from my checking account ($29.95) for I don't know what! I am retired on a fixed income, and cannot afford this crap!
    Can you help??

• Ca
      Jan 20, 2009
    MediaMogulMe.com - SCAM
    Central Square
    New York

This company charged my credit card $29.95..They won't credit my credit card for their scam on me. They offered me a free GIFT Card for $100 to be sent to me in an e-mail and have to use it in 24 hours..Another SCAM of theirs..I never signed up for their services. Something has to be done!

• Mt
      Jan 21, 2009

I've never used Papa John's online ordering and I actually never use my debit card for online purchases (for the very reason eceryone is complaining about) Yet, I too was hit with a flurry of charges that hit my checking account 01/14/2009.
    The day before I used the card at a local sandwich shop (I live in MA) and that is the last charge I made before I was hit with the unauthorized charges. Here are the companies that bilked me:

vistaprint (twice in 2 days)
    columbia house video
    York Photo (I actually received a photo or random landscape in the mail yesterday NOT MY PHOTO)
    Yi-WuSource.com
    U.S.O
    Natural Life Nutrition
    DRI*WuYi Pixie Tea
    www.center4grants.com
    grants are easy
    BMC Doubleday

I've cancelled my debit card and contested the charges with the bank (I'm out approximately $150) and they have assured me that there are no more pending charges)

• Tk
      Jan 23, 2009

I too have fallen victim to this crime but did not order from PapaJohns. I do have some of the same merchant charges though as others. I had 19 pending charges made from online merchants in one day. Fortunately I monitor my checking account daily online and I caught this. These charges appeared as "pending" on January 13, 2009 but most did not post until January 15, 2009. I cancelled my card on January 13th but apparently there were more international charges that were on "hold" and I am now still in the process of disputing those charges. Here are some of the merchants...

FTD.COM
    SCI*STAMPS.COM
    YORK PHOTO (2 charges)
    RISINGSTAR
    BESTGRANTFORYOU

The oddity is that I received blank business cards in the mail from VISTAPRINT, a letter of thanks for the donation from U.S.O. Arlington, and childrens' software from RISINGSTAR.

My best advice to everyone is monitor your checking...this is an obvious problem. Someone is getting a big kick out of the mess they are creating for us.

• Br
      Feb 02, 2009

Same type of thing - York Photo, Vista Print, DoubleDay Book Club. I just cancelled my credit card and they refunded the charges. The last thing I bought online was from AsSeenonTV.com. I bank with US Bank. They were great, they refunded the charges without question, and because I cancelled the card, no more charges have gone through. I have received a random landscape photo from York Photo, a box of books from the book club, and blank business cards from Vista Print. Oh lovely...every day, I wonder what will come in the mail... Does anyone know the benefit of this scam - why is someone ordering random things in my name?

• Ck
      Feb 11, 2009

Since 2/6/09, I have received charges from sites that I have never visited:
    York photo (and accompanying photos in the mail)
    Columbia House Video Club
    USO. Arlington
    Google tree 2
    Vista Print

My bank sent us a letter warning us that Mastercard's data had been compromised, and that a new debit card would be issued and sent in the mail. We activated the new cards upon arrival, but were told my Mastercard via our bank that the old MC # would not be "officially" closed until Feb. 20th.

• Iw
      Feb 12, 2009

Count me in as scammed also. About 18 charges over two days on my Mastercard (feb 10 - 11). When my daughter called me at work to notify me that I had received flowers for my birthday from 'anna', I knew something was up. It's not my birthday and I don't know an 'anna'. So it began. Cancelled my credit card after calling ftd.com. Mastercard is through Citi. Check out websites like do-offer.net or prizepanda. Seems like those sites are probably the driver behind these charges. Rack up a bunch of purchases so you can get a "free" ipod. I'd really like to know where the security breach is.

ftd.com
    tickets now (2) (2 tickets for the Killers concert in Phoenix)
    york photo
    vistaprint
    365 billing (3) - this is a 3rd party clearinghouse - charges were from freebidding.com
    proactive
    itunes (2)
    mygrant

• La
      Feb 12, 2009

How do I go about finding out two unatuthorized charges on my account for 47.00 each

• La
      Feb 12, 2009

My prepaid visa was hit with two unaurthorized charges on Feb. 12th can I get help to get my money back

Feb 20, 2009

I found this thread googling "York Photo" and "Vistaprint." My mother's account was fraudulently charged small amounts from both of those businesses. Neither place was particularly helpful. We got her card cancelled and disputed the charges and Visa credited her account with the money she lost. Today she received a package from York Photo which was 4 prints of 2 weird stock photos of random people with dogs. I assume she'll be getting blank business cards from Vistaprint sometime soon. Today she also began being deluged with telemarketing calls (16 calls in less than 3 hours) from a variety of different scam outfits, most of them having to do something with "Free Grants." The timing seems too convenient to be a coincidence. Is anyone else having similar problems?

Feb 24, 2009

Hello, all. May I join your club?

My charges were for

www.mygrantsite
    York Photo
    Vista Print, &
    BMC Doubleday

I, too, have received random photo prints from York and blank business cards from Vista. I'm curious as to what BMC Doubleday is going to send me tomorrow.

I was able to contact MyGrantSite and York Photo and both agreed to credit me for the charges. Vista Print has apparently already done so, although I wasn't personally able to contact them. (FYI: Their auto attendant asks for an account number that, as a non-customer, I obviously did not have. Then, it instructs you to go to the website for further assistance. When you get to the website and click on the customer service page, it instantly provides you with an account number! I don't quite understand this, unless the site is phishing for ip addresses.

Thanks to one of the posts above, I've also identified BMC Doubleday as a fraudulent charge.

Like the rest of you, I can't figure out why someone is bothering to use our credit card numbers for this petty nonsense. The last time this happened, the perpetrator was at least smart enough to order a golf cart!

Feb 25, 2009

Me, too.

My charges were from:

www.mygrants.com
    york photo
    vista print

Feb 26, 2009

also me.

York Photo ($3.15, twice)
    Vista Print ($5.45, twice)
    USO Arlington ($20.00, twice)

York and Vista sent out what prior posts have said: a few random photos and a couple of boxes of blank cards.
    What a bizarre scam. I can't figure out the how's, where's, when's or why's.

Feb 26, 2009

See two posts above, from "Tom."

Just got the shipment from BMC Doubleday today. Actually, two of the five books look pretty interesting. Maybe the [censored] who is screwing with all of us really has our best interests at heart.

Like others, I've received three random photos from York, a box of blank business cards from Vistaprint, and a phone call from MyGrantSite (and a new DotCom info service I didn't sign up for nearly every day this week).

Anyway, my credit card company has already reversed the charges on all of the above. In addition, MyGrantSite claims to have refunded my card and canceled my monthly $39.99 subscription. York also claims to have issued a refund, and Vistaprint has definitely credited me. The latter was impossible to get through to via telephone.

I'd like to know if all these businesses are in on this or if the businesses are actually the target of this scammer. If he/she is messing with us, wouldn't he/she be ordering things to be sent to his/her address???

Feb 27, 2009

OK, here's some new info.

I have identified the computer ip address for a person who has been posting fraudulent charges to my credit card, signing me up for online courses, etc. It's 24.30.30.210, which I've traced to comcast in Atlanta, GA. Comcast advises that, with a police warrant, they can probably track down the user of that computer. Being a New York-based investigator with some connections at the Atlanta PD, I've made a few phone calls this morning.

I've also e-mailed "mail.com, " the e-mail provider for this person. He/she has been submitting an e-mail address that puts my full name up front, followed by "@mail.com." I do have a "gmail.com" account, which may be where the person made his/her error.

With this information, I may be able to get to the person who is at the root of my problem. And, because so many of us have experienced fraudulent charges from the same four or five merchants, we might be able to break the whole case open.

Stay tuned...

• Sh
      Mar 03, 2009

We also received charges for Doubleday, York Photo and Vistaprint the week of 2/24. We canceled the card immediately, and are no longer receiving blank business cards and books.

Mar 10, 2009

This happened to me too. This is what happened...

Scammers steal/buy our credit information from and online vendor. This can be anything from an insecure transaction, hacked database, keylogger/trojan virus or even a slimy vendor that sells information to groups.

Our information and debit card numbers are then pumped into a "spamming program" of a sort, which randomly signs us up for online services, and small purchases. It happens in such a time period that it flags the Visa fraud detection (supplied by Visa debit cards), which in turn sends you an automated phone call, letting you know that there may be some phony charges on your account.

You, the account holder panic and call your bank, Visa, etc and fix the issue by canceling card and verifying your information.

NOW HERE'S THE CLINCHER: About 24 hours later, you may receive a call on your billing phone number from a strange phone... for me it was [protected] (which is usually an internet based relay call). The voice on the phone was all "text-to-speech" and computerized. It told me that there was a security issue with one of my accounts (didn't mention the bank or the account number) and I needed to verify my personal and banking information immediately in order to regain access to my account funds, otherwise I "would no longer have access" to my own account (which ironically, I already resolved the issue 24 hours before in the lobby of my local branch's office).

This is where I hung up and phone and had an epiphany. All of the items and services that were purchased, were all shipped or registered to my billing information. There was no gain there for the suspects... therefore it was simply and attempt to flag my fraud detection and get the "paranoia ball" rolling.

Once you get into the habit of giving people card numbers, socials and other personal information, I suppose it's pretty easy to become statistic with no money left in his/her account. I suppose this scam was thought up to prey on dim or naive people.

York Photo, Netflix, Colombia House Video, Match.com, BBpeoplemeet.com (fat people dating site!), YourMusic.com, Napster, iTunes, Paypal... were some of the charges on my account... none of which are to blame for this. Every one of them was more than pleasant when I did a followup call and all of my money was refunded.

[sorry for the wall of text, I hope this helps]