MedcoHealth / 16+ days to fill and mail medications?

1 United States

I would advise mail-order pharmacy consumers to exercise advance caution when using Medcohealth/medcohealth.com for filling prescriptions - IF you actually need to receive them on a reasonably timely basis.

My father is a full-time resident in a skilled nursing center and I handle the management of his medication supplies which I then deliver to the nursing home.

The nursing home physician had a nurse place a telephone order for his meds, some of which simply CANNOT be skipped if he runs out (Parkinson's; diabetes, colitis, etc.) on MAY 20, 2008.

When I checked medco online for the status of the order, it claimed anticipated ship date was June 3, 2008. NOW it claims June *6*, 2008, with absolutely NO indication why (a) an additional 3 day delay in filling and shipping, and (b) why it is going to take them appx. *16* days to fill and ship medications ordered via physician phone order. (Because it was a phone order, there is no snail mail delay involved in sending them the paper scripts and accompanying order forms!)

This creates absolute havoc for us. He runs out, I have to get the nursing home staff to pin down the house physician to write NEW paper scripts for short-term "hold over" fills, then I have to travel an hour to the nursing home and pick up the scripts, taken them to a local Walgreens for filling, deliver them BACK to the nursing home - and encounter the usual 'medco did not approve coverage' bs on the short-term fills because the orders for the same meds from May 20th is still being processed by Medco.

Years ago they were reasonably reliable. NOT ANY MORE.

Va