Medco / Hype and puffery

I'm a retired IBMer. Under IBM's retiree medical plan, I've been getting prescription medications from Medco for several years. Medco service is extremely error-prone, in my personal experience, and its internal information handling is remarkably inefficient. And IBM is virtually impossible to reach with a specific emailed complaint about Medco. I believe neither Medco nor IBM wants any written record of dissatisfaction. Hence, I choose this public forum.

The most recent Medco flub on my account started about 3 weeks ago when I cancelled a 90-day prescription for Spiriva due to its $372.92 cost, and had my doctor fax a 30-day prescription. When Medco informed me the 30-day set was ready to ship, I checked its price, which turned out to be listed as $340.42.

This clearly was a serious error, so I called Medco to cancel that order, and explained that their database or perhaps some employee was a bit scrambled. The Medco rep apologized and said she'd cancel the 30-day order; I said I'd get the Spiriva locally.

Last week a Medco rep called me to say the 30-day Spiriva order price had been corrected. I told her that didn't matter to me, that I no longer trust Medco at all, am getting that med locally, and please make sure that 30-day order is cancelled.

This morning Medco sent me an email announcing that the 30-day Spiriva order has been received and is ready to ship. Unbelievable! I immediately called Medco to cancel that shipment. The rep assured me it would not be shipped. As I say, this amazing mismanagement instance is just the latest in a years-long series. It's clear to me that Medco is very badly operated. Perhaps it's a company that grew too fast. Perhaps it's just a company that's 90% hype and puffery. Whatever the case, I'm gone. But I'll be happy to discuss Medco - and the IBM benefits department's reaction to emails I sent them - with any interested party.

Mike Orceyre
[protected]
1923 Beach Drive SE
St. Petersburg, FL 33705

Va

Comments

• Va
      13th of Apr, 2008
    Medco - Lies about status of your order
    www.medco.com

If you are stumbling across this because you have a suspicion that Medco service is bad, incompetent, or downright dishonest I am here to tell you you're right. You are not alone. Get away from them and go to Costco.

They initially sent me my meds without advance payment, then demanded payment up front. Lied and said they were sending meds they never sent.

Now they have placed a marker in the pharmacy computer network that they mailed my prescriptions 14 days ago. Uh, not they didn't or I would have them. They have billed my insurance company for the medications without sending them to me. I will be calling my insurance company immediately.

If you have not been burned by them yet, YOU WILL.

• Ir
      9th of Dec, 2008
    Medco - negligence, difficult to deal with
    Medco

I have never filed a complaint before until I had dealings with Medco. I even went to the Attorney General. This company bills your insurance, bills your credit card, doesn't send medication and puts a stop on your insurance so you can't get medication elsewhere. The customer service is just as bad. When asked for names I was only able to get first ones, even from the supervisors. They were all argumentive and condencending. They have no regard for peoples health or well being, only about the bottom line.

16th of Jan, 2009
    Medco - Prescriptions
    Medco

Medco does indeed have its problems that need attention. I have found that unfortunately they can't be solved on the phone or on email much of the time. However, I believe they are trying to deal with them. I have used the Better Business Bureau to get resolution. The BBB send my email complaint to the CEO's office, where a professional works on resolving it. Even when they feel they have been correct, they will often make a concession (if asked). If your Medco insurance is paid for by your employer, it may very well be that the employer is devising rules that Medco is obligated to enforce. For example, ED medication. They put you through hoops in the hope that you will be too embarrassed to put up a fight. Now, is that Medco or my employer? I suspect, it's the employer.

• De
    Medco - Lost check fee
    Kent
    Ohio

My Bank sent a check for medications which was received by Medco on 7/10/2017. After waiting until the 21st and still not posted, I contacted Medco to find out why it had not been posted. They said that they had not received the check or that it was lost. I then waited until the 25th and notified them that I was going to put a stop payment on the check and paid the bill with my Chase Freedom card. The next day the check was processed and the Chase Freedom transaction was reversed. Then I received notice that I owed them a $10.00 bank fee for stop payment on the check. Well, on the 21st of August I received a letter postal marked 8/17/2017 with a letter stating that I owed them the total bill plus the $10.00 bank fee, which I payed in full plus the $10.00 fee way back on 8/12/2017. Total incompetence.

• Al

• Al

• Ul
      2nd of Jan, 2010
    Medco - UNABLE TO FILL PRESCRIPTIONS
    MEDCO
    Pennsylvania

I AM REQUIRED TO USE MEDCO AS PART OF US GOVERNMENT PROGRAM. THIS IS THE WORST PHARMACY EVER. THEY HAVE LOST MY RECORDS AND MY REQUESTS FOR NEW PRESCRIPTIONS FOR MORE THAN TWO YEARS. MY INSUROR REQUIRES ME TO USE THEM OR PAY DOUBLE THEIR PRICE FOR PHARMACEUTICALS---WHAT A RIP OFF. THEY HAVE EVEN ADMITTED THEY WERE AT FAULT IN HANDLING MY PRESCRIPTIONS BUT NOTHING IS BEING DONE TO CORRECT THEIR ACTIONS. HOPE THIS IS NOT THE FUTURE OF US HEALTH CARE OR WE ARE IN SERIOUS TROUBLE.

• Fi
      30th of Jan, 2010
    Medco - Incompetence
    Medco

I got 2 letters in the mail from Transworld regarding an upaid Medco acct. One was wanting the balance of $66.77 at year's end (2017).The other was written the next day (first week in January) saying the debit had been cleared and I was in good standing with Medco, disregard previous letter. Whatever! It's time for my new Rx so I called last Friday night - 1/15 - and I speak with Stephen who (after I explained the 2 letters) that yes, the end of year dead was 'written off and I owed no money but would have to pre pay for all orders for one year now'. I said fine - but was I hearing him correctly in that I did not owe the old debit but just had to pay $65 for my new prescripion and he said yes. Now MEDCO - days later - says I can't get my Rx until I pay ANOTHER $65. So, I'm out $66 and have no Rx. They are liars, incompetents, and I sware I'll get OPM to drop them or change insurances. THEN they refused to give me any contact info for the collection agency so that I could have the letter from them as proof of their saying the matter was written off and I did not have to further pay.

• Bl
      23rd of Feb, 2010

I can tell you that maybe if the company stopped allowing non pharmacists to fill your prescriptions and enforced policy when pharmacists are not checking your prescriptions, maybe they would be accurate. The deal is that there is footage of these practices that cause shortages, overages and wrong medications being "accidentally" dispensed. This material is very close to being released to the public and will be within 2017. You see Medco is busy walking around in bullet proof vests touting their stock prices and not thinking twice about your grandmother on the phone who is ready to [censored] because she cannot get a simple answer from Medco. This audio material will also be released in 2017. Reports have been made and persons are still speaking with the Federal government about this company's practices. Oh and there is a huge kicker to come as well on top of this stuff but you will have to wait until it is turned over to the public. So I think if I were Medco I would be extremely concerned. There are many unethical acts occurring within this company and all will be revealed. Oh and do you think your personal information is protected??? Think again...

4th of Mar, 2010
    Medco - Dangerous service
    Medco

Medco allows non pharmacists to fill your prescriptions.

Medco allows medications to be in an unsanitary environment.

Medco allows certain folks to use company resources for personal use.

Medco allows certain individuals to break policy and others may not.

Medco doesnt care if your family member is going to off themself because no one will help them. They would rather call the police and get their profit.

The fact is that all of this will be exposed shortly. Things like Human Resources unethical activity, VPGM's unethical activity, Corporate persons unethical activity...it isnt going to be attractive. Medco is just plain an amateur company trying to be big league and will cut any corner to get there.

• Me
      14th of Apr, 2010
    Medco - Shorted me 20 pilss
    Nevada

I got my meds shipped to me today and opened the package and out of 60 pain pills I was supposed to get I got 40. I called the company, spoke with a phara. and she said they are sending this over to the recovery dept to look into. I should get a call no later than Monday.. But she said this medication is counted 2 times... Also theyd have to contact my Dr to make sure its ok to send the replaced pills.. How CRAZY is that.. There going to call my Dr and make it look like I misplaced 20 pills somewhere and make me look like a drug addict... Im am so freaking pissed right now.. DONT EVER GET ANYTHING FILLED THROUGH MEDCO THEY WILL STEAL YOUR MEDS... I filed a complaint through the BBB of Las Vegas b.c thats where the meds came out of... How does this happen on controlled Med's only.. Someone stealing them within the company.

• Re
      16th of Apr, 2010

You have no way of knowing it only happens with controlled meds. And FWIW...the BBB wont do a damn thing about it.

• Sc
      29th of May, 2010

It might seem like speculation but it is hard to discount how the complaints of being shorted are never about other meds. I have never had a problem with getting other stuff like allergy meds for my son or hypertension meds for my husband. I have on the other hand had issues just like the OP with my pain medication. Medco knows that most people won't complain or they will appear to be fiends. Its not right that they do it to one person let alone dozens of us. I agree with you that the BBB does squat. It would be better to file a complaint with the pharmacy board.

• Dm
      25th of Jun, 2010
    Medco - Order accuracy

When I order prescriptions from Medco it is always a 90 day supply, my doctors office made a mistake and sent a prescription for 30. Medco filled the order for the reduced quantity and charged me the same amount 90 would have cost. It typically takes a week for them to fill and ship an order, this one for the short quantity went out in 2 days. Medco said I am responsible for my doctors mistakes and basically said that is too bad. I feel like this is theft, I never authorized an order for 30 ea.

• Mo
      18th of Sep, 2010
    Medco - Never wants to send insulin when needed
    Medco

I have to get my son's insulin through Medco, a 90 day supply at a time. I have yet in the last 10 years gotten a correct order or gotten an order when needed.

This time they are saying they haven't gotten the prescription from my childs doctor at Childrens Mercy, Childrens Mercy says they haven't gotten a request, that was in July. At my son's appointment on August 23rd, I watched the nutritionist fax the prescription myself. It is now September 3rd, and still no insulin. I went to my pharmacy that I get other temporary medication from to get insulin and my insurance wouldn't cover it because medco has "dibs" on sending the insulin. I am allowed 3 refills per calendar year for insulin and haven't used any but when I go to try to get it I am asked to pay full price.

My son is 15 years old and was diagnosed with diabetes at the age of 2. It has been a stressful disease at times. But when you have to worry if your going to get the medicine that keeps your child alive and healthy every ninty days, that is just cruel.

On a positive note, my last refill they gave me refills for an insulin pen, which he has been off of for over a year, and we have used that to fill the insulin pump.

• Bg
      17th of Oct, 2010
    Medco - Communications
    MEDCO
    Georgia

I am a retired IBMer. If I have any other option for prescriptions this renewal (other than MEDCO), I am going to take it. MEDCO's website takes 10 seconds to deliver any screen. When they communicate to a question, they send you an email and tell you to sign on to see their answer.

I have been trying to get a 2017 expense total for a month. For the 3rd time, they want to call me to confirm personal information.

I stopped sending in my prescription to MEDCO because I could get it for $10 at Target. MEDCO was $15. Recently MEDCO reduced it to $10 - so now I can buy my medicine from MEDCO for the same price I get it at Target without insurance.

Sell this stock short.

• Ar
      30th of Nov, 2010
    Medco - Unreal lack of customer service
    Medco

I'm not sure why medco has the very worst customer service employees. How high is the unemployment rate?? Why can't they find individuals that are customer service oriented. If this was the first time I would ignore it but it is time and time again that I get the rudest ppl. Today I got a real gem of a gal named Lillian. She repeatedly cut me off and talked over me. I was trying to explain my issue but she obviously knew it all and didn't need my questions or concerns. MEDCO *** AND MY 100 WORDS are up!

21st of Dec, 2010
    Medco - Hard to work with
    Medco

I have Medco insurance through work at Allstate and I have had nothing but problems with them. They have been the most irresponsible company I have ever been forced to work with. If you want to sit out their and act as if Medco is the perfect meds company that's fine. But I have heard a lot more complaints about them than compliments.I have mailed in prescriptions early thinking they would simply add it to my account. So I could place the order when I needed it Meco trashed the prescription, I had to go back to my Dr. and obtain a new one. I also had a problem when I mailed in a prescription that was post marked 8 days after I received it from my Dr. again Meco trashed it, I have had it with Meco. I am going to tell anyone who will listen just how Medco treats people.

• Ke
      28th of Dec, 2010

My pain meds dissapeared. I was suppose to get 360 vicodine and got 132. I called talked with a pharmacist. She said they were sent and she would contact my doctor for a new perscription. Meanwhile Ill be in some serious pain when what I have runs out and someone at medco is stealing bigtime. From the looks of it after reading these comments controlled substances should be sent to your local drugstore for pickup. I dont need a thief knowing where I live to break into my home for meds.

• Ke
      28th of Dec, 2010
    Medco - pill shortage
    medco
    Ohio

Medco shipped me 132 vicodine but was suppose to send 360. I called and they said they shipped 360 the enclosed invoice said 360 but in the package was one bottle of three. ONLY ONE BOTTLE of 132. The package was opened by me and did not appear to have been opened prior to me getting it. A controlled substance like this should not be sent to a private individual but sent to a local drugstore or at least to be signed for after checking for proper amounts and identity of the product. Medco has a thief working there and I dont need the thief to know that I have pain pills and where I live to break in and get them. Yes think about it that way folks. Im peed off. From the looks of it I am not the only victim here. Lets get Medco.