McMillan homes / return of deposit

1 1175 West BittersSan Antonio, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: (210) 233-1154

In September 2008, I had received approval to purchase a home. I found the mcmillian home I liked, decided to build, and at that time, was told to apply througth thier morgage company to see who has the better deal. I was denied, but never received a letter or anything concerning my deposit. I used my ouside lending company, and in Rebruary 09, I was trying to contact my lender but was unable to contact him so I asked my real estate agent to try to contact him. A week later, my real estate agent informed me that my lender was out of business, and that I had no loan. My real esatate agent contacted the sales counselor (Patricia Zars )and asked her to review my old application, which they did, and said no again. Days later, I asked about the return of my deposit, and the sales counselor stated that I had signed a statement that if any thing happened, my deposit would'nt be returned, but i didnt. So she emailed me a cancellation form that was backdated with the initial September 08 date, and asked me to sign and return it.

Comments

• As
      1st of Jul, 2009

Please provide more details as we are trying to buy in the same community.

• Di
      18th of Feb, 2010

I know how you fee. McMillin Homes Suck. I purchased one of their homes, and the process was terrible. When we got the home, they were slow to fix things that were wrong. They refused to fix others. Bad customer service.

• Xi
      12th of Jul, 2010

brother's contracts were backdated, Unlicensed sub- contractors, McMillin Homes has "HANFORD BUILDING DEPARTMENT" in thier pocket. The items they fixed, would fix poorly or wrong. Over bill for upgrades, some upgrades were install wrong or not install. AKA: Ashton Park Homes, CENTRAL VALLEY RESIDENTIAL BUILDERS L P; Contractor License #: 808166 . McMillin has so many license's under different names.

• Jr
      15th of Aug, 2013

we put down 1500 deposit on a new home because of 20k incentive, I was told I could get the deposit back up to the point we made design selections.They could not give us the information about the schools, home owners cost and upgrades. We went to the Mcmillin mortgage broker and their rates were high. We canceled the contract and after several calls to our salesperson to find out how to get our deposit back with no return, I contacted corperate they told me they donot care what the sales and mortgage broker told us we were not getting our deposit back. Beware donot by a McMLLIN HOME.

• Se
      6th of Dec, 2013

I bought a house at Presidio, so far it has been a three months delay causing me to lose money and big inconvenient. the company says that the delivery date was just an estimated...

• Le
      23rd of Dec, 2013

Sebastian, we also bought at Presidio and SO FAR are 2 months delayed. The customer service is HORRIBLE and the communication is non-existent. It is costing us money - rates keep going up and is enormously inconvenient as you mentioned. At this point we are very disappointed with McMillin - though we do believe our home is going to be beautiful if and when we ever get to move into it. We have been warned by our neighbors not to close with anything left undone - the builders reputation is that it is not easy to get them to come back out to do warranty/punch-list items or to fix problems.

24th of Jun, 2015

I bought my home in Jun 2011, Patricia Zars was by far the worst person to deal with. We were coming from VA to TX and during our selection process at the Home Design which was Feb 11, we had an appointment to select the colours for the outside of our home. She failed to show up for our appointment. She was "fired" shortly afterwards but it doesnt make up for the fact we had no choice in the matter. Press forward to 4 years. On the back of my home I had been having roofing problems. Thinking that the leaks were weather related were wrong the roofer told me it was the builder who did a crap job on the backside of my roof to include a gap in one of my windows. i went back to the builder and they told me they would not repair it because its not under a warranty. Well per the TX Residential Construction Commission Act I do have a case. Needless to say, I am going to lawyer up and go after them. They still have homes to sell in my area "Cliffs at Cibolo" I would recommend for anyone go elsewhere. There homes are not worth buying.

• 32
      6th of Jul, 2016

Buyer Beware! One would expect McMillin Texas Homes to deliver you a brand new home, free of defects, damage, properly cleaned inside and out. Well think again all Civilians and Military especially for those of us that deploy for months! You will certainly be surprised when you return home and find your ceiling is lying in on your floor from water damage caused by a leaky roof. I started to notice a number of defects when I returned from overseas throughout the home as time passed and reported them to McMillin Texas Homes. McMillin Texas Homes, under deliver and rarely does quality work to live up to the high price tag they charge. The list of problems that need to be repaired after they have completed the building of your new home is far from high quality. They will push you off to a warranty company that will tell you they only handle structural damage and nothing else.
    As for the problems, we have roof leaks, paint issues, stucco cracking, and will not install attic stairs (when asked they said they didn't have too because it is not a code requirement) and electrical problems.
    Attempts were made by McMillin Texas Homes (by applying Dap glue to roof) to repair. It proved to be a "Botched up job" and did not correct the roof leak in the same area in the garage they attempted to repair. I have made several follow up calls and correspondence that were unsuccessful because they wanted to push it to a warranty company on the east coast that stated they were not responsible for jobs completed by McMillin Texas Homes. Come to find out one of our neighbors has the exact same roof leaking problem in their garage. Electrical issues still continue today with power continually cutting off, stucco cracking and paint issues after they tried to fix it 3 times. We also have had damages sustained to a number of personal household items and a motor car that is currently stored in the garage as a result of the constant roof leaks and mold growth. The ceiling of the garage is also destroyed resulting from the roof leak and is now increasing becoming a threat to collapsing which may cause injury to my family and major damage to my personal items stored in this garage if not fixed quickly.

In the meantime we are in the rainy season and my roof continues to leak, along with mold continuing to grow and my children continue to be affected by the mold growth in the home that I purchased from McMillin Texas Homes that is defective as described.
    Coincidently, Corky McMillin Homes decided to "exit the San Antonio market" in early 2014. I strongly believe it is because they knew the houses built/still being built in San Antonio are not being built with high quality, proper supervised project management or highly skilled engineers/workers. This low standard of builds were beginning to interfere with their reputation of being "honest and having integrity" so they exited as quickly as they could, leaving us hard working home owners to deal with the aftermath of these low quality, poorly constructed houses, ruining our fulfillment of our dream homes.

Do your homework with any house you purchase. Scour Google, and get reviews; interview neighbors. The drawback to interviewing neighbors is they might be embarrassed if they have issues and feel suckered or don't want people to know in case they want to sell. (Some sellers are not honest with issues in their house). Visit sites like homeowners for better building and homeowners against deficient dwellings. (Google those names as they are written) You will find a lot of information. Pay attention to your gut feeling. Usually it is right. If you want a high quality home, look elsewhere. What a horrible Home Builder that I will never purchase any home they have built.

17th of Jul, 2016

We purchased a home from Mcmillin Homes in 2012. First winter that year we started to see stains on the inside walls. We called them and they came and painted over the stains. We thought problem was solved. The very next winter Mold came back all over the downstairs and we contacted them again and at that point they stated that our warranty run out and that Mcmillin is not even in Texas anymore!! They gave us the name for the extened warranty and the phone number. The extended Warranty told us that they only cover structural coverage and that mold is not covered. Now almost 4 yrs later the house is moldy upstairs and downstairs. We contracted an Ac company to check if something was wrong with the Ac and the Ac has not issues. We also contacted our homeowners insurance to check on the roof to see if there is anything going on with the roof and they concluded that the mold is not coming from the roof. Then we started to paint over the mold to see if that would make it go away and lately came back all over the house worse that ever! then we call an inspector which checked and same he concluded that the problem is coming from outside. The material used by the builder is defective and we need to sue the builder to fix the house. IF fixable!!! Also the house started to shift and the foundation is settling. I don't know aht to do any more.. My 4 yr old child has been in and out of the hospital for the last 4 yrs of his life because he get massive asthma attacks which are triggered by MOLD and my entired family gets sick all the time and I don't know what to do anymore!!! The inspection result states that living in a house like that is a health hazard!.

12th of Aug, 2016

Just giving an update on this case. It happens that the Mcmillin I bought the house from is NOT the Mcmilling Home of Texas. Many people may get confused because they have the same kind of name. Mcmillin Home of Texas is a great company and without having anything to do with my house issue they were nice and kind to come and inspect and help resolve the issue.

• Jw
      29th of Dec, 2016

@Maria2017 This person works for San Antonio Texas Mcmillin homes, and they do this to try to bring the ratings up. Neighbors are afraid to complain because Ed Berlanga and his employees set at the head of our HOA Board, and we don't understand why they are in charge. We have tried to vote them out but they override the HOA Board because of Ed Berlanga setting at the head table. Horrible Company!!!
    If you are looking to live in a gated community, DO NOT pick Cliffs of Cibolo because the gates are always open until late in the night. Construction works stay until 10:00 - 11:00Pm at night working trying to look into windows from top of houses. We have complained to our HOA (ProComm...they are horrible also) about the gates takes forever to close. This is a terrible neighborhood and lucky we will be moving in Jul 2017.

• Re
      21st of May, 2017

I bought a Mcmillin home in 2012, just found out that my house has termites and they have used untreated wood for the structure..i am so pissed how can a 4 I/2 year old house gets termites...the house is poorly done and and I have been having so many problems and have been costing us a lot of money to fix things because the warranty ran out...I am so fed up and I will never buy a Mcmillin home ever again and will never recommend them to anyone...

• Re
      22nd of May, 2017

I called McMillin homes this morning relating the Termite issue ...the warranty department... her name is Regina, she was so un helpful and when I mention if you guys will not help with the issue I will be contacting a lawyer and she was rude and handed up on me...this is bad service and please anyone reading this PLEASE NEVER BUY MCMIILIN HOMES...THEY ARE HORRIBLE BUILBERS...