McGee Toyota / Lying!

1 Hanover, MA, United States Review updated:

Just had a horrible experience there where they refused to honor Internet prices claiming they were listing dealer costs not sales...yet nothing on the site says they AREN'T the sale price.

Drove 50 miles round trip only to be told prices were 2-3k more than advertised price

I am contacting AG office for deceptive practices under 93a. I encorage everyone to do so as the more complaints the more likey AG office is to hold them to fines of 5k per violation.

Comments

• Fr
      28th of Feb, 2009

I was wondering when you bought your car from McGee's... I recently had a similar experience with that dealer ship and I have since contacted a laywer and filed for a 93A which is a consumer protection act... If you want feel free to contact me via email... swiftcr64@yahoo.com

• Li
      15th of Mar, 2009

I had a similar experience, too with the McGee daelership.
    I did some net searching and found a lot of similar scams done with the McGee Dealership to innocent people.

Is it possible for us consumers to team up against the McGee dealership? It might be more effective than just one consumers against them.

21st of Mar, 2009

In your responses above I have been buying vechiles from mcgee's family dealership for tha last five years and i have had the most wonderful experiences with tha company, i have tried other dealerships and all i got was the runaround, i am sorry for your incidents but they are the most honest dealership on the south shore!!!
    roger

11th of May, 2009

ibeaaron,
    Did you contact the AG office? I was wondering if you got anywhere. I too bought a car April 15th and was ripped off. I tried to contact the Sales Manager but have gotten no response.

• Pl
      5th of Jun, 2009

I just bought a car from mcgee toyota and yes i got ripped off alot of money, i wonder if there is anything i can do to return the car or anything.

15th of Jun, 2009

Beware of Mcgees false advertising practises. I just found a car listed on their web site, called them to confirm price/details, and went to the lot to see car. When I arrived, suddenly the car was 4K more. The saleman told me the price was actually the deadler cost, then said actually the price reflected 4k trade, then told me I was eligalbe for 500 web discount, making dealer cost 500 less. How can the dealer cost change (did they suddenly pay less for this car?)? Getting a straight answer out of all the lying sales staff was impossible. Whatever happens be prepared for the price to go up or the terms to swing theri way.

• Fa
      15th of Jun, 2009

I went there as a first time buyer, I went with a friend who had boughten cars before, and we first called about a car that we saw on the web, they said they still had it ( mind you 30 mins before we got there) then when we walked in surprise surprise the car was already boughten. So from there we looked at another car the same price. I told them what I could afford and they helped me negotiate a price)or at least I thought they did). So I signed papers, left the lot that night with the car, no papers/contract. My family was surprised to find that I didn't have a contract. Anyway my payments came in the mail the other day and they were $200 dollars more than I could afford. I went to the dealership, I live an hour away, and I argued with them forever, and got no where. Point is they changed my contract and mislead me from the begining. DO NOT GO TO MCGEE TOYOTA... THEY ARE LIARS AND FRAUDS.

5th of Aug, 2009

I had the same experience as everyone else. My story is a bit confusing but here goes. I originally purchsed a Subaru Tribeca that had an issue w/ the paint. I was assured over & over again Subaru would cover it, it was a known defect. Well long story short Subaru did not cover because it was past the warranty. McGee said I could come back and trade into something else. The 2 Tribeca's they had on the lot were either beat up pretty good or every warning/engine light was on. I then looked at the RAV's which also had issues - 2 had extensive rust under the seats- can you say water damage. I then settled on a Highlander. Told them I want the same deal as the Subaru - payments, term of loan, etc. They said they could do it for slightly more a month than original & I said ok. I had to wait for over an hour for the finance manager to show up - this was the day before the sales tax hike so I was confused why they were not fully staffed. The finace guy rushed me thru the paperwork and I foolishly thought they lived up to their agreement. I know it's my fault & should have read the paperwork more thoroughly but I already was running late. Much to my surprise the terms of the loan were for 7 years! Went back & got the same crap as everyone else - you signed it tough crap. He then told me I should have fought with Subaru more & not taken No for an answer. For their response those prices on the Inet are what they paid at auction is complete BS. The prices change on frequently. I have seen prices move $1500 from one day to another. I am trying to remove the McGee sticker from the back of my car & if I can't I will be adding a bumper sticker that will add "sucks" to the end of McGee. DO NOT EVER SHOP MCGEE USED CARS!!! THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN FOR FRAUD.

10th of Aug, 2009

I say we all go back there and stand infront of the place with signs saying "liers, rip offs". I can't believe how many people have had a problem with this dealership. We need to do something...

• Wo
      11th of Aug, 2009

I was so excited to go to McGee to buy a Honda Odyssey, the price was so much better than everywhere else. When I called to see if it was still available, they said yes it was, when I asked if it was the on for 11, 800 as advertised on the internet, they said yes it was. I asked how they can sell it for so much less than other dealerships and I was told because they buy them in bulk at auctions and get them cheaper, plus they need to sell them low because they move so much inventory.

I left work early that day, right after I got off the phone with the salesman, sat in traffic for an hour and 45 minutes...while sitting in traffic I was browsing the web and came across several websites with complaints about McGee, and how the price is how much they paid for the car, not how much it was selling for. I immediately called, asked if the car was still there, and asked how much it would cost, they asked me how much it was on the website, I told them and they said, well...it will be more than that, that's how much the car cost us, we'll sell it for 1, 000-1, 500 more. I still went since $1, 000 more would still be a great deal.

After test driving the vehicle we sat down to talk "numbers". I told them how much I would pay and they thought I was crazy, because according to them, not only do they need to make $1, 500, not $1, 000 but $1, 500, but they also put work into the vehicle, so they needed those costs back, another $1, 200. So now we're $2, 700 over their "cost", not such a great deal anymore. After haggling some more, the salesboy, not man, he was a boy, asked if I'd give him my credit card as good faith that I'd agree to the price I just suggested, I was apprehensive, but he promised me they wouldn't charge anything on it, so I gave it to him, thinking the deal was all but done. Well, he comes back without my credit card and says they can't do that price, that I would have to come up more. I told him I couldn't, and he proceeded to beg me to come up in price. I told him forget it, and to give me my credit card back...HE WOULDN'T!!! I started to get angry and raise my voice to just give me my card back so I could get home to my wife and children, he still wouldn't, but the "sales manager" held it up for me to come get it, I guess he had either heard enough from me, or heard enough groveling from the salesboy. I said thankyou and got the hell out of there. It was an experience I have never encountered before and I've bought well over 10 cars from different dealerships.

My opinion, MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE IN FOR BEFORE STEPPING FOOT INTO MCGEE AND IF YOU DO COME TO A DEAL READ EVERY PIECE OF PAPER WITH A MAGNIFYING GLASS BEFORE SIGNING!

• Wo
      11th of Aug, 2009

I forgot to mention, they didn't charge my credit card anything, they just wanted it so I wouldn't be able to leave until they thought I should.

11th of Aug, 2009

By the way, I was able to easily remove the McGee sticker from the back. Just heat the sticker w/ a blow dryer or the sun & use a fingernail to peel up a corner & then pull off w/ tweezer. I do know they did have someone stand across the street w/ a sign saying something to the effect McGee Screwed me. He did it every morning for an hour, McGee tried to get the police to help but they said he had every right to stand there - he wasn't on their property. After a week or so McGee gave him what he asked for to get rid of him. As the sales manager said to me -"We're not hurting for business" so unless the bus. suffers they don't care & will continue.

11th of Aug, 2009

We really should get a few people together to stand out there. I'm about to. They screw a lot of people.

• Mc
      12th of Aug, 2009

I wish I read this website before I went to McGee. I got totally taken by salesman Tim Veiga. I was rushed out the door on Monday night with my new car only to get home and find I did not have the paperwork. I went back today to pick it up only to find the the terms of the loan are 83 months and not the 60 that the deal was based on. I can not even understand how this can happen but after reading these complaints it is obvious they are intentionally misleading people. I was also told too bad you signed for it and to get lost by the manager who accused me of assaulting the salesperson because I threw the contract at him...bottom feeding dirtballs! I have contacted a lawyer but I agree we need to picket out front. They should not be getting away with this. Lets all get together and get out there ...the sooner the better!

27th of Aug, 2009

Since I am unable to delete my prior postings I am just going to add a new comment. McGee corrected their mistake with me and I no longer can say I have an issue with them.

• Mo
      27th of Aug, 2009

Kushang, Go to a reputable lender, such as the Rockland Federal Credit Union. Refinance immediately and pay half the interest you're paying now. They're currently offering 4.34%. www.rfcu.com Don't forget to sue the filthy shysters at McGee for any expenses incurred in doing so. Small claims forms available at www.mass.gov. If possible, sue them in a Sharia court. The penalty for stealing is hand removal.

28th of Aug, 2009

I can also say I no longer have a issue with McGee Toyota. They corrected the problems I was having.

28th of Aug, 2009

Sounds like a few of you made enough noise to get McGee to make right but don't let them off the hook. Continue to let everyone else know how they are ripping people off. You think they are not trying to rip someone off today? These guy try every unethical and dirty trick/lies they can to get your money. I got out of there before handing them a penny but clearly others have been ripped off. I don't think they should be allowed to do this to others!

• Di
      13th of Oct, 2009

I had a similar experience with McGee. I brought a 4Runner that was identified by McGee as a dealer demo with 10k miles. I was told by the sales manager and the sales person that the car would carry new car warranty (3 year/30k miles) since it had never been registered. After putting 19K miles on the car, I took the car to the dealership because the glass was rattling and the sun room wouldn't close.

To my dismay, I was told by the folks in the support department that the car was out of warranty and that I would need to pay out of pocket. I found the sales manager and sales person who sold me the car on the floor and I asked them what was going on? They told me that I misheard or made a mistake, the car only had existing warranty. When I went back and look at the paperwork for the car, I found out that the warranty that was included in the folder when I was negotiating with McGee was no longer in the folder and that I was charged extra for a Lo Jack system that was already installed in the car.

And to add insult to injuries, at the time of purchase I qualified for 0% interest for 40 months. McGee did the paperwork at 4% interest over 60 months. I' am a relatively sophisticated buyer and I got screwed by McGee and their deception practices. I' am embarrassed that I allowed this to happen to me.

• Sp
      20th of Nov, 2009

After seeing what the price was online I showed up to buy the SUV on the lot. Well when I sat down with the sales person he told me that the internet price was the Cost price not the sales price. He then went on to add another 3k saying that was the mark up on the SUV. What made matters worst they said that they found their customers actually like coming in and finding out what the mark up amounts were! Please, that is just a deceptive way of selling cars, as if car buying doesn't have a bad name now this! I walked away and will NEVER buy a car from these jokers. Way to go guys...build that good rep!