McAfee full protection / fraudlent it support

1 Australia Review updated:

Have been using McAfee for about 5 years. Installed a new workstation computer. New computer also came with a free trial of McAfee LiveSafe. When this expired, my new computer was not protected. I still have 11 months to go on my fully paid for licence. Phone McAfee support to transfer my licence from the old computer binned, to the new computer. Spent over one hour on the phone with McAfee technical support (I assume in India) where they attempted to con me through a series of fraudulent diagnostic tools and logging in and showing me around my computer, attempting to convince me of all these massive serious problems I have on the computer (which was less than a month old !!). Anything they could find in my Action Centre would be picked on. Software conflicts of no relevance. Even attempted to tell me my Windows Updates were Stopped and not working (this despite the fact I sat in front of them updating before calling them, and seeing them work again the next day!). The fraudster attempted to do the following. He could fix my serious problem of software conflict etc. now for US $120. Or I could take out a multiyear support contract for about US $400 (and if I did that now, he could waive the $120 fee for tonight). He spent an hour on the phone attempting to convince me before I got tired, and left without getting my licence transferred. He also bagged my local IT support stating they have not set up my computer correctly. I then phoned my local IT support next day, who IN 10 MINTUES FLAT fixed my problem and reassigned the licences for me. He also never charged me for the service given what I went through with McAfee. I have now turned off the auto subscription, and will move to another provider as soon as that is over. My other computers (family and work) are already transitioning to something else as required (and the new product is HALF the price of McAfee as well). Not only that, I had to in any event take McAfee of any laptops as it slows the whole machine down. It really only works on workstations.

Ma
May 16, 2015

Comments

• Ni
      6th of Jan, 2017