Maytag / French Door Refrigerator / problems with the ice maker!

I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.

• Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

Va
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

• To
      30th of Sep, 2007

Well heres and update on my Fridge which has been broken since 07/20/07. Lowes agreed to buy it back as they have been unable to get the required board in a timely manner to make the fridge run properly. Lowes refunded me the purchase price plus sales tax. Today I purchased another fridge and they hauled away my old shiny Maytag piece of crap. Lowes told me I could keep it because they didn't want it. Whats that telling you?

Anyway I purchased a Samsung so I hope I have a better experience. To everyone else don't give up until you get results. I was lucky enough that after several calls and emails I got someone who actually cared. I still filed a complaint with the Florida Attorney Generals Office with the hopes Maytag issues a recall on that fridge. Good luck.

• Mi
      26th of Sep, 2007

Add us to the list... What an expensive pile of junk.

• Ke
      27th of Sep, 2007

Why is it that the failure seems to have always taken place at night? Add me to the crowd of early A.M. part failure. But, thanks to all of you and the complaints filed, my experience with Maytag was almost pleasant. I didn't use the standard customer service number (800-688-9900), but one that I'd found on the net (800-462-9824) touting "cut through the call tree and talk directly to a person", which didn't work, but it did get me talking to a friendly rep very quickly. Within five minutes, she had me scheduled for the next day (with A&E) to have the HVC board replaced at their expense. No hassle, no threatening needed, and no attitude. Just have the model # and serial # available when you call.

My thanks to all of you who suffered with this problem during the early stages of failures. Your complaints didn't fall on deaf ears at Maytag after all- they seem to have cleaned up their act.

• Ge
      27th of Sep, 2007

I took out the control board in the door and touched all the electrical prongs and wiped it down with a dry rag and reinstalled it. IT NOW WORKS!

• Br
      4th of Oct, 2007

Same thing here. Warranty just expired 5 days ago, and the control panel came alive and the chute flapoper opened and closesd continously. Calling Maytag now, states they would cover cost of part, but not labor. Arguing with them right now. This is the 2nd service call since I bought the unit. the first to replace the ice making component that failed in only 3 months. I just spent the 200 to get the 3 year coverage for this expensive peice of junk.

• Fr
      30th of Sep, 2007

Same problem here, lights blinking, flap in ice maker flapping constantly, glad I purchased the extended warranty.

• Li
      9th of Oct, 2007

Here's our story. Same problems with the ice maker, except...woke up yesterday morning with a floor covered in water! We have the A&E extended warranty thru Home Depot, but they suck! First call was in August when our ice maker quit making ice. The repair guy never showed for the first appt. Had to wait 2 weeks for another appt. When he finally showed up, the ice maker that hadn't worked for a month dropped a sleeve of ice and mr. repairman said everything was great. Three weeks later (yesterday) something gave way (won't know until Mr. Maytag makes an appearance) and now we've got our Insurance company involved with a rather large claim! I'm sure they'll be getting in touch with Maytag to foot the bill. But, we're still stuck with the unfaithful refrigerator, an unusable kitchen and an insurance deductible to pay. Thanks a lot Maytag!!

• Bo
      14th of Oct, 2007

Same cr*p here in Texas.....my fridge is doing the exact same thing as of this morning. Well all have been screwed!

• To
      20th of Oct, 2007

I was awoken at 2:30 AM last night to the sound of the ice chute loudly opening and closing every couple of seconds and the control panel going berserk. Dug out the manual, but no solution listed in the troubleshooting section. Got online to look for a solution and found out this was a widespread problem. Had to shove a balled up pair of tube socks in the ice chute so I could get some sleep. The ice maker has been an issue since purchasing the fridge: ice freezing in a big clump to rotating corkscrew, ice over filling and just plain not working. No wonder the sales rep talked me into the extended warranty.

• He
      27th of Oct, 2007

I am now a member. Annoying flapping and flashing lights. Temp alarm at 1 am... I have ripped them a new one. Spend almost $3000 on a refrigerator and it stop working in just over a year. Luckily I did renew my service agreement. Seems to always happen on a weekend. Waiting for call on Monday to schedule repairs. How this isn't an annual event. May need to buy a more reliable cheaper brand to cover for the pretty one when it fails.

30th of Oct, 2007

I'm so grateful for this board! I had the same problem last night, as the fridge is now 15 months old and of course it's time for my 3K investment to go haywire. Called Maytag Monday and A&E will be out Thursday to repair.

Has anyone heard anything about a class-action lawsuit? Where are the recalls? What is Maytag going to do 15 months from now when this happens again? Of course, Maytag has zip pity answers.

Truly Yours,
    A very disappointed Customer!

• Le
      8th of Nov, 2007

UPDATE - A&E just left. Although the 8AM to 12PM work window didn't hold up, the tech did arrive around 2:30PM and in less than 30 minutes was done. NO CHARGE!!! Good luck to all with this same problem.

• Le
      6th of Nov, 2007

I too was woken up by the 3AM Sunday morning light show. Glad I found this site. You can disconnect the cable on the upper left hinge. Just remove the cover and unplug. At least you will get some peace and quite until the repairman arrives. And everything still cools/freezes. I have the extended warranty coverage but was told by Maytag Dependability Plus that this was a Maytag recall and to call Maytag direct at 1-800-253-1301. Make sure you have your model and serial number. I placed the call Monday morning (11/05), the part arrived direct from Maytag today (11/06) and the repairman will be here Thursday (11/08). Good luck!!! This is definitely a Maytag Recall.

• Ka
      8th of Nov, 2007

Just a follow-up to let you know I contacted the number 800-253-1301 and a part is being sent to me. When I get the part I'm to call to set up a repair appointment. This is at no charge to me.

5th of Nov, 2007

You should not have to pay anything. Maytag is very aware of this issue now and is paying for all repairs, even out of warranty. It's the CYA technique!

• Ju
      6th of Nov, 2007

There is a recall on the unit. You have to call Maytag to see if you qualify. They are giving free service and parts if you do. It regards to the lights blinking and ice door chute opening and closing and clicking. Call them.

• Ka
      6th of Nov, 2007

I, too, was awakened by the flapping of the ice door. Since it was about 1AM, I waited until I was sure it was something mechanical and not an intruder. For us, the flapping occurs whenever the motor is running. When the motor shuts off, then the flapping and flashing do also. First thing tomorrow I am calling Maytag since now this is apparently being recalled. I'm glad for being able to access this information on the internet.

• Ti
      13th of Nov, 2007

We now have the same problem. I was worried because our refrigerator is about 6 months out of warranty (1yr warranty), but after reading this board I hoped that Maytag would still take care of it. Thus far they have, without any difficulty. We called them and reported the problem; they ordered the part and scheduled the repair for 3 days out. Without our asking, they indicated there would be no charges. The part was shipped directly to our house and arrived the day after we called, and now we're waiting for the repair appointment. In the meantime, I've followed the step others referenced here to disconnect the cable to the front panel to stop the lights flashing and ice-making door flapping.

• As
      14th of Nov, 2007

My fridge started flapping and blinking lights after 16 months of purchase. Called Home depot service guy and now it is wait and see. Amazing and spooky as while I am typing this it started again.

15th of Nov, 2007

People always want to b***h about when they call into a company they get an automated message. This message breaks thing down into different departments and ask for you to have certain information available. One of the most important things that this recording request is to have your model and serial number. People who work for these companies already know your going to be in a bad mood cause your "$1000.00" appliance is broken that you choose not to take out a extended warranty on, but come on now. Have the damn information on your product and the call might go a little smoother. Try this one too, when the rep answers the phone and ask you a question don't respond with your clueless "HELLO? HELLO?" Pay attention to what they are saying cause you don't like to repeat yourself and they are the same way. When asked whats wrong with the product, don't sit there and go back 5 years and state every issue you had. The rep wants to knows whats wrong NOW, not 5 years ago. And when you call know what you want. Don't sit there and rant and rave then when the rep ask you what they can do reply with an "Uhhhh, I don't know." Another idea for you brilliant people a deadline, is a date that was set, and approved. A deadline is set for a reason to have some sort of structure to an issue. If your calling about the Neptune Class Action Lawsuit, what part of the deadline has past (08/09/05) and there is not further assistance? I mean how much more can someone break it down. Who cares if your sister, mother, and best friend got something from the Class Action Lawsuit, try this on for size, maybe they were smarter and filed what they call a claim and get this they filed before the deadline. They were more likely notified because they do what we call registering the appliance. If people would just sit back and think how they react they would be so ashamed of them selfs. How would you feel if someone down talked to you cause they were unhappy with the company you worked for? It's a job, and it pays their bills. So why don't all you stuck up people get a clue and have some respect and learn to have your crap prepared.