Maytag / French Door Refrigerator / problems with the ice maker!

I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.

• Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [email protected] with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

Va
Sort by: Date | DownRating

Comments

15th of Jul, 2007

Click... Click... Click ... Mine started last night. Ice has always been in hunks. Had to have the door switch replace already.

Bought a Maytag to replace a Whirlpool. Next day I heard Whirlpool had bought Maytag. I was afraid I'd get the same "great service". You know something is up when they bombard you with the extended service offers.

Thanks for all the info, looks like I'll be in line for parts.

13th of Jul, 2007

All mechanical and electronic appliances due fail and thus far hat is why whirlpool has there warranty... I understand things do happen and thank maytag for them being able to help anyone with this problem so the best of there capabilities.

13th of Jul, 2007

All mechanical and electronic appliances do fail and thus far That is why whirlpool has their warranty... I understand things do happen and thank maytag for them being able to help anyone with this problem to the best of their capabilities.

• Ca
      14th of Jul, 2007

Well well well. In the 12 days since my last post, I have replaced the LV board (behind the icemaker) but still the flashing, etc. Ordered the High Voltage Control Board for my Maytag MFI2568AEQ (I know it by heart I'm sorry to say) from Marcone. Called the next day, they said Maytag has them back ordered till August. I said I can't believe I have to deal with this another month with 5 kids. She put me on hold, came back and said she found one in their St Louis warehouse and would ship it out same day. I said I'll pay to overnight it. Sure enough, it came last night and DH and I (not at all mechanically inclined) put it in the back of the fridge and ta daaaaaaaa! Cooling begins, no flashing, no flapping, ice maker and water going fine... thank you Lori at Marcone! One note of caution for you self installers, you have to program the board once you install it by following the directions that are included. (Or look under, yes under, your fridge) If you don't, it will flash PEO OOO incessantly and not hold temp. Programming is easy but when pressing the proper buttons, don't hold them down for long periods unless it says to, like the freezer "-" key for 3 seconds. If you hold the other buttons down for three seconds or whatever, nothing happens. This is an easy fix for ANYONE. My 7 year old could figure this one out. Part Number at Marcone is #12920710 HV Control Board price 149.99 plus sales tax and 24.90 overnight shipping. Standard shipping is 6.95. My total was 185.39, far less than A&E were suggesting, not to mention time without a fridge. I plan to call Maytag first thing Monday morning to ask for reimbursement after reading the other posts. Still, I worry about it going out again, am keeping the old board to simply replace the capacitors (any tv repair guy would do it) if it ever happens again. I can't believe I know my fridge so well and what an HV board is, but I'm thrilled it's working. Also, applianceguru.com is a GREAT site for help on replacing the capacitors only. Thanks to everyone for posting, it was a tremendous help and I appreciate it so much. Now I just have to take 5 kids grocery shopping for the biggest trip ever! :)

• Ca
      14th of Jul, 2007

P.S. James, do you work for Maytag or something? Yes all electronics have their problems, but usually not so quickly after purchase, and Maytag's help on the problem appears to be on the negative of the 0-10 scale. I understand things happen as well, but when they do, customer no-service doesn't do anyone any good, as I personally will never buy Maytag again. And I have two giant front-loader washer/dryer from them. Sorry, I don't thank them for anything except a giant headache and hundreds of dollars in additional cost to an already expensive product.

• Da
      14th of Jul, 2007

We wrote in 36 days ago and we finally have our refrigerator working again. It took so long to get the five parts we needed. I still think we have a lemon, but thankfully we still have it under the extended warranty for a couple more years. Will let you know if there are more problems.

• Ba
      14th of Jul, 2007

I too bought the Ice 2 0. Not the worst Maytag I ever bought! I also bought a Maytag dishwasher, lemon, and Gemeni stove, another lemon!! The dishes come out dirtier than when I put them in and the stove smelled like gas from day one!! The refrig did the same flapping for 2 weeks. I finally put a rag in the opening so the dogs wouldn't keep barking at the noise all day and night. I have a husband who needs insulin. It has to be kept cold. For 2 weeks I had to keep making ice in my other freezer. What a mess. I got "PRIORITY" service!!! "PRIORITY" my butt!!! I can't even begin to tell you all the food and the cost of everything I had to throw out. Where is my compensation for that? I only have the 3 Maytag appliances and believe me I will NEVER get another one. Or a Whirlpool, now!! I'm telling everyone I know. I want that little "idle" man, sitting there fixing stuffed toys and computers, over to my house. I have plenty for him to do!

• Cr
      14th of Jul, 2007

Wow! I am soooo happy to find all of you. I tried getting some ice and water out of my 17 month old Ice2O about 30 minutes ago and nothing came out. I played around the buttons and then looked through the troubleshooting guide. Nothing! Then my fridge starting flipping out with blinking lights and that wonderful sound of the ice dispenser flapping! I managed to get it to stop for a while. I decided to surf the internet for advice and it has started up again!! Thanks for your feedback, I am glad I am not the only one! This fridge needs to be recalled! I have a dishwasher and Gemni Stove and haven't had any problems with them. Wish me luck!

• Ed
      14th of Jul, 2007

All i can say is that am glad i am not the only one faced with this. I wish i kept my 10 year old fridge that i sold for $50 at a garage sale.

• Ba
      15th of Jul, 2007

I wrote before, but I too would like to know if anyone has a solution to this problem? It sounds like altho mine finally got fixed, it's only a matter of time before it goes again. The only solution I see is for Maytag to reimburse me for the WHOLE cost of the D__M thing and then when it goes, I go out and buy a LG. Or a GE. I won't even charge them for my inconvenience or the spoiled food I had. Think they'll go for that idea? Any others?

• Cr
      16th of Jul, 2007

I wrote 2 days ago. I found our warranty info. Whew! We have one for 4 years. Looks like we may use it often! Home Depot is sending out a repair man tomorrow morning (Tuesday). That was quick turn around but of course, we have to wait for a part to be order. Luckily, you all have told me what is wrong so I can cut to the chase with the repair guy. I will keep you posted.

16th of Jul, 2007

I'm having the same problems like everybody else... the annoying flapping of the ice door and the blinking lights is driving me nuts... will call the service center 1st thing in AM.What does it take to have this fridge recalled? Maytag should refund all of our hard earned money. This is ridiculous.

18th of Jul, 2007

I have the same problem with the blinking lights and flapping ice door which by the way is SOO annoying. My freezer still works, but my fridge part totally went out. My fridge is not under warranty anymore... it is a little over a year old. I spent WAY TOO much money on this fridge for it to go out after only a year. I called Maytag several times and could not get ANYBODY to help me..they were all very rude. Finally I went ballistic and basically told some lady off. We went round and round and after about 45 min I guess she got tired of me so she gave me some kind of Authorization # and told me that she would extend my warranty for another year. Well I call the Maytag repair guy in my area and he said it could take up to 3 weeks to get the part in. That is such BS... you would think that since so many people are having this problem they would keep that damn part on hand. I am really disgusted with maytag right about now. What will it take to get a recall on this POS?? I just hope this doesn't happen again, because I am tired of living out of an ice chest and a small fridge.

• Ce
      18th of Jul, 2007

We have been having the same problems with our ICE 20. The ice maker-water dispenser is possessed and has been flashing and flapping just 4 mos after the warranty expired. Never thought I would need an extended warranty on a top of the line product from this company given how they brand around quality and dependability.

It has taken a week of persistence through calamity but I must say in defense of the company that they have agreed to pay for parts and service. I have my fingers crossed that the problem will be resolved.

• Je
      18th of Jul, 2007

We are about to purchase the french door/bottom freezer unit but without the in-door ice maker/water dispenser. Any complaints about this unit?

18th of Jul, 2007

Beware in purchasing Model MFI2568AES ICE2O. Purchased this fridge in May of 2006 and upon delivery the Ice Maker did not work, I paid $2,200 dollars for a fancy fridge and I had to wait two weeks for Maytag to repair it. On July 13th 2007 the entire display began flashing along with this annoying popping sound. I luckily purchased the Maytag Dependability plus service contract. What's the problem? A bad high voltage control board! It is day 5 and I am awaiting repair due to a shortage in control boards. I am confident that Maytag knows they have a problem and they should inform there customers of a recall. I am giving them a chance to explain this control board problem, and am informing the better business bureau.

19th of Jul, 2007

Oh my, I just got online to see if anyone else had this problem... wow!!! My started the flashing and door noise just today. I called and no one will be out till Monday. I don't know if I can handle the annoying noise for 4 DAYS!!! And going by some of the comments it may be longer if they need to order parts augh!!!

• Tr
      19th of Jul, 2007

How about that! A flapping door and a $200 bill for a repair on a 14 month old refrigerator. Other than that, I'm happy with it... just not sure if I trust it or not.

• Ci
      20th of Jul, 2007

I bought an H2O last May, so we were about 2 months out of warranty. We had several other problems with the freezer door handle not staying on and the inside plastic meat cover has never stayed on . I was promised a replacement but it was never brought. Now our water and ice maker is clicking loudly and not working. Many thanks to all of you who listed your similar problems and how they have or have not been resolved. When I shared this "web" info. with the Maytag person they all of a sudden decided to cover the cost of the repairs. In reading the testimony of so many others, I am beginning to agree with the comments of Dennis who stated "this issue deserves a class action". I am not sure how to start this procedure, but I would be in full support of it-there is great power in numbers and all of us have invested at least $2000 in a product which is defective. They should either reimburse our purchase price or provide a more reliable fridge. If anyone else agrees with Dennis and I sent comment please and perhaps we could get this started. I am glad that Maytag has offered to repair this problem at no cost even beyond the warranty date, however if the problem continues as it did with some customers listed here, then I think we have something to fight about. Thanks again for your help. Sincerely, Cindy O.

• Ro
      21st of Jul, 2007

This is a POS refrigerator, add me to the club, mine started flapping three days ago and I went out of warranty two months ago. I wish I would have bought this POS with AMex, so that I could get my cash back. Shame on Maytag, this will be the last appliance I purchase with their brand name. I am going to give them a try, but I doubt they will help me out, might end up fixing myself and then purchasing the extended warranty.