Maytag / French Door Refrigerator / problems with the ice maker!

United States Review updated:

I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.

• Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [protected]@Maytag.com with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

Va

Comments

• Ke
      13th of Mar, 2008

Same possessed issue everyone is happening. Called Maytag and very friendly and is repairing for free. Great service with no hassle... Did not have to argue. They knew the problem and offered the free repair without asking.

• De
      21st of Mar, 2008

I have the exact problem with my MFY2568AEW maytag.
    There is a definate Manufaturing design flaw with this model and similar models, we need to start a class action lawsuit against Maytag and force a recall.

here are 2 other sites to visit that have some useful info.

2nd of Apr, 2008

Looks like we (Mrs. and myself) just joined this club. A much larger club than I would have suspected. Fridge is 16-18 mo. old.
    Same symptoms, flashing lights, flapping ice door... possession is a very correct word for it.

Tried killing the power to the fridge to see if that would 'reset' something... nope. Well, if you're reading this at page 11, you already know that.

Will be calling Maytag tomorrow morning to see what they're willing to do, and I'll update with the results. Thank you to all who have already posted. At least that gives us a little hope in fixing this expensive hunk-o-junk.

And to Maytag: I hope you're reading all of these accounts now. You're sure hear about them later, and so will many others.

• Kr
      3rd of Apr, 2008

My Ice20 was doing the same thing and all my food spoiled. Here is what I have found out: The whole crazy flashing lights door flapper thing will stop if you disconnect the power cord from BEHIND the water/ice dispenser as described in previous posts. HOWEVER... the frig still will not cool.. all my stuff melted!

I have learned that if you disconnect the power from above... under the left top door hinge, the light show stops AND Voila... my fridge is cold again. This is only a temporary fix until they get here to repair the real problem.

BTW: I sent Whirlpool/Maytag an email with 66 PAGES of complaints from this site and others. I told them I wanted a $200 reimbursment for my spoiled groceries. This has been an ONGOING problem with this model for over 2 years. Maytag and Whirlpool are/were aware of the problem and STILL have not corrected the design flaw. They are still manufacturing AND selling the same problem! Therefore, I feel that they could have 100% prevented my $200 grocery loss. I WANT MY MONEY!!

I am all for a class action suit...

Hope this helps.

Krystawitt

3rd of Apr, 2008

Update:
    The Mrs. just called the 800 number. The CSA tried to offer cost free labor, but not the part. She mentioned the internet (this site), and BLAM! No charge for either, and it will be repared TOMORROW. If you're having these problems, give them a call. They know about it...even if your fridge is out of warranty.
    Will update again after the service is completed.

5th of Apr, 2008

I have had my French Door Ice2O refridgerator for 2 years. The ice maker had to be serviced 3 DAYS after it was delivered. I had to be serviced again shortly after and finally a few weeks later, they actually had to replace the ice maker completely. Then about 6 months ago the temperature alarm went off in the middle of the night or no reason, or so I thought. I did everything to shut it off and finally unplugged the refridgerator for a few minutes and replugged it and all seemed okay. This past week I came home from work to hear a loud clacking noice and actually thought someone was in my home. I walked to the kitchen to find it was the refridgerator again. All of the numbers and lights on the panel were blinking and the ice despensor door was opening and closing. I have contacted an authorized repairman who has not been here yet and also contacted Maytag twice. No reply. I guess when the "Maytag Repairman" form the Maytag commercials died so did their service. I would have to tell anyone who is looking for a new refridgerator at this time to AVOID MAYTAG. I bought a $2200. piece of junk. My last refridgerator lasted 20 years! From the other write-ups I see I'm not alone. I thought I got a lemon, but obviously Maytag has become a LEMON, neither building a good product or standing behind it.

5th of Apr, 2008

THANKS Rick!!! I called the 800 number and they are replacing the panel and paying the labor!!!

• Ca
      7th of Apr, 2008

You think all of you have had problems !!! I am now on my fourth repair.
    I am the very disgruntled owner of the French door Model # MFD2561HES and I am now on my fourth repair.
    Within a week of use the water inside the door stopped working,
    one year later - a few weeks out of warranty the compressor stopped working and needed to be replaced. Next came the evap fan quite the day after we arrived from being away for 2 weeks. Thank our lucky stars it didn't occur when we were away. One week after the fan was replaced the electronic defrost control panel needs to be replaced I am still waiting for the part to come into the repair shop.
    I have called Maytag and all I get from them is lip service and they are so sorry they can't do anything cause it's out of warranty. I just discovered this complaint board and I will be calling again to bring to their notice of the fact that I now know about all the problems and mention the phrase "Class Action Suit" and maybe they will help me out.
    I am waiting now for the Icemake to start flapping and banging. It seems that's the only thing that hasn't gone on the lemon!!!

10th of Apr, 2008

Add my name to your club. Same same isue us yours.

• Kr
      10th of Apr, 2008

ENOUGH already!!! No more talking...let's DO something.

Everyone interested in a class action suit contact me at username: [protected]@gmail.com.

I am SOOOO sick of this fridge.

Krysta

10th of Apr, 2008

Received the replacement HV board on Tuesday (2 day express shipped), and the repair crew is coming out this afternoon to replace it. Not going to whine too much as I don't have to buy new capacitors, drag out my soldering iron, etc. Maytag is covering the whole bill.
    1-800-253-1301
    Have your model # and serial # handy when you call (find it on the inside of the fridge on the right side). It also helps to be polite when explaining the problem. ;)
    I was told by the folks coming out to perform the board replacement that there WAS indeed a recall on these (at least my model MFI2568AES). Someone just didn't send the memo.
    Will update again when it's complete and working normally again.
    I'm really tired of the disco lights in the kitchen.

10th of Apr, 2008

Oh, one other note: When Mrs. called Maytag about the HV board, she asked about this little 'malfunction' affecting the compressor. She was told that the compressor, in the event of failure due to this, would be taken care of as well even after the fact. Cover your bases.

• Ka
      11th of Apr, 2008

We have that lousy refridgator. It broke down three times in 6 months . Our warranty was covered for few years. I suspected that it did broke down on purpose. Never trust Maytag again. Do not buy any appliance from Maytag. Disappointed customer

• Ga
      12th of Apr, 2008

Same problem flashing lights, flapping door amazed so many problems.

12th of Apr, 2008

Final Update (hopefully):
    Repairman came out, slapped in the new board, programmed the fridge, and was done in under 15 minutes. I asked him how many of these he's done and was told "oh, about a dozen a month." This was a couple of days ago, but the fridge is no longer psycho, so that's good.
    Best of luck to y'all. Just call Maytag, give them the info, politely push if necessary, and get it fixed.
    Peace.

13th of Apr, 2008

I am also having the same problem with my 1 1/2 year old Ice2O fridge. I stuffed a paper towel up into the ice flap to keep it from making the clapping noise. Will have the repair guy out tomorrow. I will expect them to cover this repair since the HV baord is likley the cause and it was replaced once already.

If it were not for these issues, this frdige is great. I do have the poblem with ice maker getting frozen up. The more you use it, the less likely this will happen.

• Ia
      18th of Apr, 2008

Wow, I'm sure glad I paid $540 for a good old fashioned "non-ice making "fridge. I hope you get this worked out. I thought Maytag was dependable. Is their service and company not replying to you? This makes me think twice about buying their washer and dryer. Any word on the company's customer service would be great. Sorry guys!

• Li
      18th of Apr, 2008

I agree with ALL these posts. I cannot believe the stories all sound like I wrote them. And the video of the problem someone posted to You Tube brought back memories of a very sleepless night.

I came home from a long day at work and my husband was beside himself with the clacking of the ice maker door and the flashing lights. Could not do anything until morning, but when I called Maytag and described the issue in detail, they said I was out of warranty (owned frig for 18 months) but if I found my sales receipt they would "help" cover the cost of the parts (not the labor which would cost me "a minimum of $79.95").

So I spent an hour looking for it, calling Lowe's to ask them to look it up and finally called American Express and they were able to locate the transaction. I then called Maytag back to give them the receipt info and I asked if there was a recall and they told me "no"...in the meantime the repair place they contacted for me to set up the repair called on my other phone and while on the phone still with Maytag, I answered. The FIRST thing the repair shop said was "we have seen a bunch of this same issue and the part was recalled...Maytag should fix for free."

Imagine my surprise when I then turned to the other line to TELL Maytag that I believed the problem was on a recalled part and, stuttering, the rep said "Oh, yeah, here it is, yes, it has been recalled. We will cover the whole repair at no charge to you" HUH!!!?? How come the repair company knows about a recall issue and MAYTAG did not?? If I not gotten a call from a sharp repair company person and if I had not called Maytag back with my receipt info (which, by the way, I did NOT need after they found out it was a recall issue), I would have been out the labor fee and the parts fee!! What horrible service. Plus, I was concerned that with the shorting out of the board, we might have a fire hazard on our hands.

BTW - It originally took 5 deliveries and 4 MONTHS to get an undamaged frig from Maytag when I originally purchased it. The first one we got had a broken ice maker and it went downhill from there. Shoddy workmanship and inept call center reps - I am disgusted.

19th of Apr, 2008

Add my fridge to the list (Model MFI2568AES). Same issue with flashing lights, no water or ice dispensing and ice flap opening/closing. I disconnected the power to the panel by removing the left door hinge cover on top of fridge and unplugging connector. That stopped the annoying symptoms and fridge is still cooling. I'm going to call Maytag tomorrow and see what happens.

These forums are great. I went from thinking I need a new fridge to I need a $600 repair to I can order the $175 part and install myself to I can maybe get a friend to fix the hv control board for $10 to possibly getting Maytag to fix it free. At the most, I'm looking at $175, still a lot of money but not nearly what I was thinking at first.

• Be
      20th of Apr, 2008

I have same problems as above, lights flashing, no water or ice. The ice dispenser keeps clicking open. All owners should get together and do some kind of class action if this is a common problem just so no extra money is given to maytag. I guess they do not wish to take responsibility for a faulty product.

How was this issue solved?

20th of Apr, 2008

I have to say that I bought the extended warranty and I called the service today. They asked all the lights were blinking and I say, of course, yes. It also will not stop clicking.
    They told me I had to talk to the manufacture that there was a recall issued on this. When I called the manufacture number they gave me it was Whirlpool. Aparently, Wirlpool must manufacture at the very least, the ICE and Water dispensor for the ICE2O

• Wi
      22nd of Apr, 2008

same problems with ice flapper and light flashing, maytag cannot fix until next week. Nothing offered for compensation. You would expect a 15 month old, $2800.00 fridge to last a little longer. What a piece of crap

• Jr
      22nd of Apr, 2008

Mine crapped out last night, wound up unplugging it, called Maytag customer no-service this morning, I was told the tech would have to look at it before they could decide if they would offer up any factory support, I scheduled an appointment... and then found this board.

After reading, I called a local appliance parts house, the board was in stock for $179, I put it on hold, took half a day off, picked up the part, had the thing fixed in all of 12 minutes or so. The caps on the old board are definatly bad, I will replace them and have a spare board for the next 11PM shutdown of this POS.

I did call Maytag again, the CS rep told me that there was nothing that she could do, because I had already replaced the board, and that if I had called before I did it, they would have covered it, I threw the BS flag and asked for her manager.

I explained the situation to the manager, at first she was going to hold to the "we're not responsible BS", then I mentioned this board, and that it appeared that there was a recall in effect, she changed her tune, told me to fax my bill to said # and they would reimburse me 100% for the parts, my labor was free... I guess.

I called to cancel my appointment, of course they wanted to know why, when I told them I replaced it myself, they were shocked, and then told me that I was lucky I could do that kind of thing myself, I could teach a monkey to change that board, what a bunch of hogwash. 4 1/4" screws, 2 clip and some plugs and your done.

It does stink that this thing cost so much and I didn't get 2 years of use out of it. I think I will make a business out of repairing those boards for anyone who wants a spare.

JR

• Sb
      22nd of Apr, 2008

Just curious...has anyone experienced similar problems with the MFI2266AES (Maytag 22 cu. ft. French Door Bottom Freezer)?

• Lm
      23rd of Apr, 2008

Same problem as everyone else with the ICE2O, endless flashing and flapping of the ice door. While researching the problem (soo common) I came across a website with a very good $5 fix to this problem. This involves some hands-on work but if you are more comfortable with a soldering iron than fighting with customer service then is might be for you. I tried this myself and can say that it completely solved the problem without having to wait for parts or open doors for service men.

Checkout http://www.liny.net/MaytagIce2O.htm

• Si
      24th of Apr, 2008

Well as it figures here I am in the same boat as everyone else on this page. Bought the ICE 2 0 end of 2006 for a crazy price.

Two days ago lights started blinking, ice door opening/shutting opening/shutting. I tried unplugging it to reset it. No luck of course. Called into Maytag and they say "OH YES THIS IS A KNOWN PROBLEM". Hello why didn't they send information out to us owners to notify us?

The COOL is now GONE from the inside and I've lost $175+ worth of food! Maytag sent the part and scheduled a tech to come out in a couple of days. I just pray that he can fix this.

I called into Maytag again to ask for reimbursement for my lost food and they gave me the run around for a while. Then finally said they will send me a claim form to fill out and can't guarantee that they will reimburse.

If they don't, I'm ready to find a lawyer and file a class action lawsuit and seeing this thread alone, I know that there are hundreds of others out there who should join in!

Never buying Maytag products again, the repairman on TV says he doesn't have any work, HA WHAT A JOKE!!!

28th of Apr, 2008

Flashing light/flap problem,

For temporary relief of problem, disconnect power to front panel. The connector is located under the left door hinge cover on top left of refrigerator. Unscrew cover to remove.

Call Maytag, 1-800-688-9900, try to get the automated system to connect you to a real person (try saying "representative"). Explain to rep that you are aware this is a common problem with the HV Control Board - Part number: 1206507. Maytag is aware of this issue and said to me that this is an "improved" part. For me, they shipped the part out Fed Ex and set up a time for a serviceman to come out and fix it - all at no charge. I didn't want the hassle of waiting around for a repairman so I replaced it myself. It's pretty easy. The part came with instructions for programming. Here's the steps to replace if you want to do it yourself. *** I'm not a professional. Do this at your own risk. ***

Repair:
    1. Pull the fridge from the wall and unplug it.
    2. Wait 15-20 minutes
    3. Remove the screws securing the HV circuit board cover on the left rear side of the fridge. (left as if you were facing the rear of the fridge)
    4. Remove the clear plastic cover.
    5. Verify that the fridge is unplugged.
    6. Remove the 4 wiring harnesses from the circuit board. Using your finger press down on the locking tab while gently pulling the wire harness out.
    7. Once all the wires are free, remove the circuit board by pressing back the plastic retaining tabs while gently pulling the board out.
    8. Insert the new board oriented the same way as the old. The board will snap into place.
    9. Reconnect all 4 wiring harnesses.
    10. Replace the clear plastic cover
    11. Replace the steel cover and secure with the 4 screws.
    12. Program the new circuit board according to the included instructions. Programming requires that you enter a specific number listed on the inside of your fridge into the front panel, this in turn programs the board. Without this step, the fridge will not work. It's the number after CODE on the tag that includes model/serial number
    Programming Mode:
    1.Press and hold the Door Alarm Keypad.
    2.Press and hold Freezer Temperature Down Keypad.
    3.Release the Door Alarm Keypad and wait 3 seconds.
    4.The control will display PE to indicate the programming mode.
    5.Entry is confirmed by pressing the Freezer Temperature Down Keypad - once more.
    6.The control will display the current Program CODE.The value should be validated with the Program CODE printed on the unit serial plate.
    7.Press the Refrig Temp Up Keypad or Refrig Temp down Keypad to change the digit value with each key press.
    8.The decimal point indicates the selected digit. Press the Freezer Temp Up keypad to select the next digit.
    9.Once the desired Program CODE is displayed, press and hold the Freezer Temp DOWN keypad until the Program CODE begins flashing indicating it has been saved.

• Ms
      5th of May, 2008

We have the same problem with our "just a little over" year old Maytag ice20 fridge. All of a sudden it started with no ice or water then the ice door starts flapping and the lights are blinking and nothing works right. We tried the troubleshooting and looked for recalls and found nothing. Called the A & E service repair ~ they had no idea but would send out a technician at $65.00 per hour. I started searching the net found this site, called Maytag as someone so nicely suggested and told Maytag I found a site that had 250 people complaining about the same problem I just starting having with my fridge. They took my serial and model number, overnighting the part and scheduling A& E to fix for free. Thank you to the people that took the time to post about Maytag because they were friendly and helpful. Even though this should not be happening to a fridge tha twe all spend a lot of money on they were helpful in resolving the problem. 800-688-9900 Maytag for part # 12920710 and ask to have service repair authorization. Good luck to all!

• Pt
      7th of May, 2008

Any recommendations which should I buy?

12th of May, 2008

Had a new HotPoint Refrigerator from Home Depot installed 5-9-08. Am very disappointed as it runs every 15 minutes, & is loud. I have turned the control down to 1 & it still does it. They tried to talk us into an extended warranty for another almost $100. We have not done that as of now. What's the answer, & have I made a good or bad choice with Hot Point.
    Why does it run so often? Should I return it or what's your advice? Please respond ASAP.

• St
      12th of May, 2008

GE Profile Refrigerators also have the same problem with the Ice Maker.

• Fr
      16th of May, 2008

We also had the ice door flap and no cooling after 13 months(one month out of warranty.) Lowe's contacted local service co. who ordered main control circuit board and repaired problem. Maytag is at fault bur concerned retailer made our situation more comfortable.

• Jb
      21st of May, 2008

I work for an appliance dealer. You should be advised that almost all french door refrigerators are made by the same company, the different brands simply put their doors and handles on it and try different types of shelves and bins for "quality". The biggest service issue we have with any refrigerator is the ice/water dispenser through the door...and it doesn't matter whether it is an $800 or $8, 000 refrigerator. Water and ice through the door will eventually be a service issue. If you are lucky enough to get reimbursement or replacement, don't just switch brands to get the same headache (and various brands may be owned by the same parent company).

• Te
      31st of May, 2008

We bought one and it never worked properly. Same problems - door flapping, lights blinking, not cooling.

Sears was going to send out a repairman, but called a day later to postpone until next week.

Told them to come pick it up and take it back.

Maytag is horrible as is Sears. Sears has gone down significantly since being taken over by KMart - deceptive store advertising and lack of customer concern. Their "managers" won't make things right.

I'll only consider buying a few tools from Sears from now on - nothing else!

• Gr
      10th of Jun, 2008

Count me as one who has had this problem. I went out of town Friday afternoon and when I got back on Saturday afternoon, I was greeted by a fridge with a mind of its own. Or should I say its mind was fried? I got this thing just last May so I am just weeks out of warranty. Fortunately, it was repaired today and the service man said he would file a warranty claim and see what Maytag says. I hope Maytag honors the warranty claim or they are going to get a printout of all 12 pages of complaints here.

• Ru
      14th of Jun, 2008

Our HV Control board on our MFI2568AEB just went nuts yesterday. I called Maytag yesterday, mentioned that this appears to be a known issue, was told they'd ship the part ground, 7-10 days then call back and they'd schedule an appt with A&E to replace the board, all at no charge. Well, the top part (refrig) stopped cooling last night but freezer still seems to work. I called back this morning to tell them I needed this part much sooner than 7-10 days. I spoke with Lois who was extremely apologetic and said that this is certainly a known issue and the rep yesterday must have been new or something, as they are instructed to ship these next day, and schedule the appt with A&E during the intial call (not call back when the part comes!) So, just wanted to share this with all. Don't settle for less than a 'no charge', next day air, free install.

16th of Jun, 2008

Buyer beware. When my wife and I originally purchased three Maytag appliances we were thrilled. The dishwasher failed - too expensive to repair. We were bit by the Neptune bug. We were declined for the class action reimbursement... Here is how is goes..

Whirlpool bought Maytag. Fired reps and service people, used their own... LOWERED OVERHEAD>Service out the door>Profits up for a short while... Then they got bit in the backside... Bad press... They forgot about the internet and peoples postings...

Please..Before buying anything Maytag do the research. Its your money..be smart about it... I will never buy a Maytag appliance... Whatever the cost comparision...consider your time... sanity..and the true cost of ownership..

Tell everyone about bad & poor service..in todays tech savvy world it will make change..

David

• Mi
      16th of Jun, 2008

We woke up on Sunday to the flapping noise, and the lights blinking uncontrollably. I did a bunch of research and figured out that 1) you can remove a cover on the top of the left door that will unhook the control panel, and the fridge will still work until someone can fix it. Make sure to put a sock or something down the ice chute, as it will just cool the house if you don't. and 2) You can call Maytag at 1-800-688-9900, and explain that the lights are flashing, chute is opening and closing, and even if you do not have a warranty, they will order the part overnighted to your home, and setup the service repair for free. Just tell them you were doing research and saw that they KNOW that the control panels are a problem and that they will repair them for free. I just called this morning. Part will be here Tues. or Wed, and the repair is setup for Thursday between 8am and noon.

MUCH easier than soldering ourselves and risking ruining something, or having to pay $500.00 for the part and repair!

30th of Jun, 2008

Take a look at http://letterchamp.com - we're a consumer advocacy company, and we've brought cases like this to successful resolutions with clients in the past. Maybe we can help!

Dave

9th of Jul, 2008

I also had this problem. It drove me crazy having different appliance people saying nothing was wrong with it. It seemed each time someone finally showed up to look at it the fridge it would be working. Finally, a man showed up and said he had just repaired one the day before with the same problems. It was the mother board going out on the back of the fridge. He put in a new board. That was about a year ago. No problems since.