Maytag / French Door Refrigerator / problems with the ice maker!

United States Review updated:

I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.

• Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [protected]@Maytag.com with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

Va

Comments

• Li
      17th of Dec, 2007

I suppose I can add myself to this very distressing list!! I came home late the other night from work, tried to get a glass of water from the door. Nothing came out. Ice did not work either. I checked the main water line, it was fine. At that point I just thought it was an issue with the water and ice maker, was too tired to worry about it and went to bed. The next morning when I got up, I found my floor flooded and the fridge not cooling. The panel lights were flashing and the ice flap kept opening and closing. I called the dealer and someone came over that afternoon to look at it. He said it was the fan motor and that he would have to order a new one. This was Friday, the part would not be in until Monday. My family was coming in from out of town for the weekend, I had to discard most of the food in the fridge that I had prepared for their visit and needless to say I was not very happy!

It is now Monday, I have listened to that darn flapping noise all weekend. I would have unplugged it, but my freezer was packed full of stuff and was still frozen at least for the time being. I had several portable coolers everywhere and quite honestly could not deal with having 2 or 3 more around. It was great asking my guests to help themselves to anything in the "cooler" rather than the fridge! I called the dealer today and supposedly the part is in, but nobody is available to install it. After reading all of this doubt very seriously that replacing the fan is going to correct the problem!! Like so many of you, my fridge is just out of warranty by about 4 months!

• Mn
      18th of Dec, 2007

Just a follow up - because of the comments in some of these posts, I did contact Maytag, and my serial number DID qualify for the replacement HV board, no charge. I'm guessing it's the earliest models that are getting the "free" recalls as I bought mine just after it came out.

18th of Dec, 2007

The $5-$25 (depending on what tools you have) non-Maytag repair for the flapping and flashing lights is at:

Reader experiences received so far have all been positive. If you're at all the least bit handy and don't want to wait for the repairman cause the freezer with $500 of meat is starting to thaw, this is for you.

My fridge is still running fine after doing the repair in July '07.

I may look at getting a new board, but I won't want to pay to have it installed as long as this one is working...

26th of Dec, 2007

I bought my Ice2O Fridge in March of 2006. I bought it from Home Depot, and bought the 4 year extended service plan.

I had problems with the Ice Maker creating the giant block of ice too. I had 2 service calls over this issue. The first guy said the drawer wasn't closed correctly - apparently he thought I was an idiot and didn't know how to close the ice drawer. He left without doing anything to the fridge. 2 days later another tech came out to look at it, and he said there was a problem with the installation of a rubber grommet at the water inlet for the ice maker. It would leak water into the ice tray creating the solid block of ice. He replaced the grommet and I've had no problems since.

Sunday morning at 2:30am, my Fridge started the flashing lights and flapping door. I unplugged the Fridge for about 10 minutes, plugged it back in, and everything was fine. I went back to bed. At 7:00am my daughter woke me up because she heard a "strange noise". I head to the Kitchen and it's doing it again. I stuffed a towel in the trap door and went about our day. I called HD ESP at 8am - THEY AREN'T OPEN ON WEEKENDS! About a half an hour later, the Fridge started beeping every 10 seconds. I was fearful there were serious problems, so I off loaded everything out of this fridge into the "Party Fridge" in the basement and unplugged it.

Surprisingly I was able to get ahold of HD ESP on Christmas Eve morning. They schedule an appointment for this morning. The service guy just showed up, said this was a known problem, they did not have any circuit boards in stock, they would need 2 - 14 days to get the part in, then would reschedule an appointment to install. He said I could run the fridge without damaging, I just have to live with the shrill beeping every 10 seconds! Not sure that's going to be possible, so it looks like I'll be dragging the mini fridge from behind the bar upstairs, and continue to use the full sized "Party Fridge" in the basement until this fiasco is fixed!

NICE WORK MAYTAG! I'll NEVER buy another Maytag product again!

26th of Dec, 2007

So glad yet sad to know we're not alone. We were woken up in the middle of the night - Christmas! with the ice chute flapping and the blinking lights. Best help was to find out here how to disconnect the harness by removing the cover on the left top hinge so that the blinking stops. We haven't noticed any cooling issues - yet. Also was very happy to find the great instruction manual on how to make your own repair, at http://www.liny.net/MaytagIce2O.htm. I will use that if more problems occur before they can get the A&E repair person here.

I called Maytag (Frigidaire) today at the 1-800-253-1301 number. First rep was April - didn't seem to know what I was talking about, so I called back and the second rep was very helpful. Said they could only send the part via 2nd day and with the Holidays - maybe I would get it on Saturday so they scheduled service on Monday. I will probably disconnect the water to be sure nothing floods and slowly move everything into our "party" fridge - you know, the 18 year old Kenmore side-by-side that has never needed a service call!

Anyone know if there are other issues? Has anyone had a "new" board for more than 16 months? May ask the repairman to leave the old board so we can replace the capacitors in it and have a back-up.

27th of Dec, 2007

What a CROCK OF CRAP! Talked to Maytag 3 times yesterday. 3 times I was told the part would ship YESTERDAY and they scheduled an appointment for tomorrow 8am-12pm. This morning I called to get the tracking number for the shipment to see when it would be delivered - THE PART DID NOT SHIP! They now claim it will now ship today, it SHOULD be here tomorrow before 5pm, and the earliest appointment they can get to have it installed is now MONDAY between 8am-12pm.

I am now in the process of contacting the State Attorney General for the State of Michigan to file a complaint with them, and I'm referencing this complaint board as evidence of a wide spread issue with this refrigerator.

I am also filing a complaint with Home Depot, I think they should know about the inferior products they are selling.

• Bi
      27th of Dec, 2007

OK, it looks like we have the same problem -- our frig has gone poltergeist on us. First showed the symptoms on Dec. 23th, just over 3 months out of warranty. First symptom was that the water dispenser was not dipensing water -- I thought the water filter needed replacing and or was clogged. A few hour later, the lights start flashing and then the flap for the water dispenser started to continuously cycle open and shut. The flapping and flashing lights lasted about half an hour then returned to normal display for about ten minutes. This pattern has been on-going since.

So, through this web site and the forum mentioned earlier, I called the Maytag Co support line but naturally they were closed on the weekend. So I stuck a rag in the water dispenser to keep the flapping noise down. I called Maytag again on Monday morning -- 8 AM sharp. I was forwarded to a Whirlpool menu, and was quickly in touch with a nice woman who took my complaint details. I was given and appointment for a service call on Jan 2, 2008. So, I won't have much more to say about the repair until after that. However, I was told that Maytag was aware of this problem and would fix it at no charge. I was told that a company called A&E Factory Service will actually be sending the repair person out.

Based on prior posts I did find the part number for the board that fixes this problem and called A&E Factory Service this morning and inquired as to whether or not the repair person would have the board with him. The support rep was not sure but did make a note in the file with the part number. I am hoping that I can avoid the back order for the board, which was mentioned in the earlier posts.

In general, we are not impressed with this fridge. We spent over $2000 for it and I find it is hard to believe that this has happened. I also want to note that when we first installed the fridge, the ice maker did not work. It took a technician from Mr. Appliance 4 warranty service calls (over a 6 week period) to get it fixed. He basically had to replace the entire ice maker. Also, an observation is that this fridge has never chilled properly. The side door where milk and such is stored either freezes teh goods or they are slightly warmer than desired. All of this has really stressed my wife, or should I say depressed her since it was all part of a very extensive kitchen remodel. I know for a fact we will probably never buy a Maytag again. Of course, I will hold final judgment until after the repair service. My wife, however, will probably be less forgiving.

28th of Dec, 2007

The part showed up this morning at 8am via UPS! NICE! I could have kept the appointment and had it installed today!

Decided I couldn't wait any longer so I installed the board myself. The instructions provided for attaching your own CAPS can also be followed to install a new board. It was VERY easy to put the new board in.

Programming the board is kind of cumbersome though. I even called Maytag at one point because I was having problems and they suggested I contact a local service man to have the come program the board. I told the CSR they had directions in the box, why couldn't they help me. She said "because we don't offer Tech Support over the phone." Frustrated with that response, I hung up, attached the directions for programming to the front of the fridge with a magnet and gave it another shot . . . or two . . . or three . . . but I finally got it, and got it programmed.

I sent a complaint to the Michigan State AG yesterday afternoon. No response yet.

31st of Dec, 2007

Our ice maker went out about 6 months ago, and the lights started flashing today. Because it is new years eve, Maytag told us they couldn't get us serviced until next Friday (about 5 days) and the fridge should continue cooling.

About an hour later, the whole thing went out. We called around, but because it's NYE there wasn't anything anyone could do. We got someone at SEARS to agree to swap out the part with a floor model (which was great since we bought this a year and a half ago - so they weren't obligated) However, Maytag has since replaced all of these parts, so the floor model was not compatible. AGHHHH!

I am just praying Maytag replaces the part timely, and perhaps the $400 worth of food that is ruined... Like I said it's NYE so the thing was full!

• Pa
      1st of Jan, 2008

PURCHASED MAYTAG ICE2O APRIL 2006. WITHIN 3 MONTHS THE ICEMAKER QUIT. GOT IT REPLACED. THEN AS ALL ABOVE COMPLAINS LIGHTS AND FLAPPER WENT CRAZY ON DOOR OF COURSE 4 MONTHS AFTER WARRANTY RAN OUT. WENT ROUND AND ROUND WITH MAYTAG. THEY STATED THEY HAD TO HAVE A REPAIRMAN COME OUT BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE IN OUR AREA AND IT WOULD TAKE MONTH OR TWO. STILL WAITING. NOW THE FRIDGE IS NOT COOLING LIKE IT SHOULD WHATSOEVER. I AM SO PUT OUT WITH MAYTAG. THEY NEED TO RECALL THESE THINGS AND REFUND OR REPLACE THESE EXPENSIVE PIECES OF APPLIANCES AND STAND UP TO THEIR ERRORS. I HAD A WHIRLPOOL PREVIOUSLY THAT WE HAVE HAD NOW FOR 12 YRS AND IT STILL RUNS. THIS IS A JOKE TO PAY THIS MUCH FOR A FRIDGE THAT WILL NOT WORK, CANNOT FIND SOMEONE TO WORK ON IT NOR WANTS TO WORK ON MAYTAG, AND THEN YOU START LOSING FOOD ALSO. GGGEEESSS!!!!!

• Bi
      1st of Jan, 2008

I cannot believe what I just read!!! We are experiencing the same problems, fridge is only 13 months old. Maytag told me they were not aware of any problems like this and that it was no longer covered under warranty. Repair man has ordered parts that will take 2 weeks to arrive. After reading all this today I will be calling Maytag tomorrow and demand payment for parts and labor!!

3rd of Jan, 2008

Just an update from 7 days ago. Maytag part showed up Monday, Dec. 31 at 12:50pm while A&E was scheduled for 1-5. A&E showed up around 5 pm. Replaced the part, took the old board with them (:-() and also replaced another broken part for $25. This worked out for us and the cooling and icemaker were never an issue - just the ice chute flapper and electronic display flashing. We were fortunate that we didn't have to "rush" to have it fixed because we have a back-up refrigerator , unhooked the harness in the hinge so we didn't have to hear it, and the cooling didn't fail. Highly recommend continually calling Maytag, getting new reps to talk to, until you find one that knows or admits to knowing about this problem. Didn't get a clear answer as to whether this board is updated to fix the problem or if I need to wait for another failure in 13-16 months.

• Ap
      3rd of Jan, 2008

Well I am in the same boat. While at work today my husband sends me a text message asking how old our new fridge is? OK now I am nervous. So I call him and he says can you hear that noice. He says that it is the ice dispense flap opening and closing none stop. However we did find that it stops opening and closing when the fan is not running. He shoved a towel from the inside to stop the flapper. The lights kept blinking. He contacted a Maytag servious provider and told him the earliest they could be out is Monday and it would be $89.99 to look at it. Well while reading some posts, I found that some have had some success through Maytag. So we called them and explained the situation, mine is about 2 yrs old, and they agreed to order the HV board and we should get it Monday and the same provider would be coming out on Tuesday. I will update once it is complete. I too agree that this is insane especially since the price that we all paid for this.

• Ry
      4th of Jan, 2008

I too have the problem with the control board. Called maytag today after reading the list of complaints and they are very aware of the problem of the ice2o so much so that they have a term for it called "possesion". the rep was very helpful and is fixing the problem parts and labor at no cost. her name debbie took care of it very fast with no hassle. hopefully everything will go smoothly from this point if not I will post again. Also I think that it is important for you to know that I am well past my warranty coverage for those of you that are in the same boat.

• Vt
      4th of Jan, 2008

I wish to add to the growing number of disgruntled Ice2O owners. My unit is 20 months old so I guess that I made it longer than most before any significant problem showed up. The ice flap problem has just started. I turned off the icemaker and that seems to help for the moment so that the flap only starts up when the compressor kicks on. I have marked the repair information so wonderfully provided on this board in case I get no satisfaction from Maytag, and a big thanks to those who posted it.

5th of Jan, 2008

For those who have this flashing & flapping problem, aside from the annoyance factor, at some point you will also lose cooling capability.

You can stop the flashing / flapping and can save the contents of your fridge by using the procedure located at http://www.liny.net/MaytagIce2O.htm

Any older referenced link with a bunch of numbers in it (varies by site) will no longer work. I had to move this doc to a commercial server due to its popularity.

Many have given me feedback they tried it (or found a friend who can solder to do it) and it's working fine. It took me under 1 hour, but I was also taking all the pics in the doc while doing it. Fridge is running fine since July '07.

I see others reporting getting their HV board swapped by Maytag for free, so this might be useful as a stop-gap measure to keep your freezer cold while you wait for the repairman to show up with the replacement board, or while you work on convincing Maytag to do this for free.

Give it a view - best case it works for you and you save the contents of your freezer, worst case you lose 15 mins to read it and decide it's not for you. The decision is up to you. :)

• Ha
      5th of Jan, 2008

Exact same problem for me - flashing lights, flapping ice door, nothing in manual or online. I wish I had read these comments before I bought it from Home Depot 20 months ago. This is the first problem we've had with it. Anyone know of a fix? I agree that this probably deserves a class action suit.

• Ha
      5th of Jan, 2008

Update from 3 hours ago - I've read all of the posts. I didn't do a study, but it appears that these jewels go out 1) at night, 2) weekends) or 3) holidays. Ours: 6 PM on Saturday night.
    I downloaded the fix from Steve Beck (Thank you, Steve - very readable and funny), probably won't try the soldering myself, but did disconnect the harness under hinge cover so that lights and flapping have ceased. Tomorrow, Home Depot and Maytag get the call.
    The most amazing thing is that with all these problems, Maytag doesn't see fit to mention it on their website, or include the questions in FAQs. Is this intentional deception?
    And the number going out between 370 days and 16 months is nothing short of paranoia-inducing. Should someone check that board carefully for a timer?
    Thanks again to all who added your posts.

8th of Jan, 2008

Ours just broke as well, flashing lights and flapping ice door. As middle of night, will call maytag in the morning. (model #MF12568AES), less than 2 years old.

8th of Jan, 2008

To follow up with my prior note, I called Maytag and they're coming in three days to repair free of charge.

• Ro
      9th of Jan, 2008

My Maytag refrigerator gave us a heck of a time too. I payed the first bill, because it was out of warranty, and bought an extended warranty for a year. During that time, the ice maker went out again. They came out and replaced a board in the door and a selenoid in the back of the freezer. While the Maytag Repairman was working on it, it caught fire. He put the fire out before it could set the fridge cabinet above it on fire or set off the smoke detectors. Calls to Maytag only got us nothing. My wife was scared of the refrigerator ever since. We bought our house with Maytag appliances and thought we were getting an upgrade in appliances. We will never buy Maytag or any of their other brands again.

• Br
      12th of Jan, 2008

I used to be in appliance sales and I have sold a lot of these fridges. This problem used to be a pretty common problem (seems like they fixed it recently) and I found out a VERY easy, FREE fix. If you make sure to keep the icemaker sealed off from the rest of the fresh food compartment, you should not have a problem. Here's why:

Most fridges are designed to only cool the freezer. They then find different ways to get cold air into the fresh food space.

The Maytag Ice 2.0 brings cold air up a tube in the back from the freezer directly into the icemaker. A little flap opens on the side of teh icemaker to cool the rest of the fresh food space.

There are also four temperature sensors that control which valves are open and which fans are running at any given time.

When you close the icemaker compartment, you have to be sure it seals itself very well. If it has a bad seal, cold air will leak out of the icebox into the fresh food space. Two things happen now: the icemaker gets too warm to make ice, and the fresh food compartment gets too cold to keep veggies fresh.

The fridge freaks out and goes on the fritz because this should not be happening. The flap is closed. Cold air should not be escaping the icemaker; but it is.

SO, make sure that when you slide the icemaker tray back into its' place you hear the load click of the latch holding it tightly in there. That should solve (or prevent) this problem from happening.

On the positive side, consumer reports did rate this fridge as the best french door + ice/water. It does have the largest fresh food capacity of any fridge out there (18.4 cu ft.). It also has that elevator shelf, beverage chiller, and fridge-pack rack. Overall, this is a really great machine. I would just recoment that you keep the icemaker sealed properly to prevent any headaches.

15th of Jan, 2008

We received noticie from Maytag 4months ago that our dishwasher had been recalled. We were given the choice to puchase a new one at a discount or have Maytag to order the needed part to correct whatever the reason for the recall and to come make the repair. We have received the part that is taking up unsightly space in a box in the conner; but no repair man has called to make an appointment to install whatever part is in the box. The commerial on TV shows the Maytag repair repairing the cable because he has nothing to do in repair in the line of Maytag applicences. Please contact me I have a Maytag job for him.

• Sh
      26th of Jan, 2008

this afternoon (Saturday) I walked into the kitchen to flashing lights and a flapping ice door.. every 5 seconds the door flaps.. VERY irriatating..

after reading the above posts I'm encouraged but leery of the response I'll get when I ask for the thing to be fixed free. I went ahead and scheduled the first available-next Friday.. by Monday afternoon I'm hoping to have that confirmed as free.

I bought mine unit from Lowe's--got a steal of a deal.. $1500... a lady had bought it and returned it--didn't like it.. said it made noise..

I'm guessing she's talking about that little popping noise it makes now and then, ahd it serviced-the guy said it's a freon bubble.. but that all of them that he's worked on do it..

will post back later..

• Sh
      28th of Jan, 2008

on the phone this morning w/ customer service, pleasant woman by the name of Sue. I told her what was going as well as the info I'd found online about other units with this same problem--high voltage control panel.. She agreed that there "have been a few".

She's ordering a part and since I'd already scheduled a call she verified that with the A/E service. The part is to be overnighted to me so it's here when they come this week.

• Th
      30th of Jan, 2008

I don't have a problem with the icemaker (crossing fingers) on my Maytag French Door refrigerator, as a matter of fact, I fell in love with it and HAD to have one. We paid $3000 for it and it works great BUT, the door handles are a snap on kind and I am continuously reattaching them. The bottom kick plate has fallen off more times than I can count, everytime I sweep actually.

It seems to be mechanically sound and have had it over a year, just that the cheaper quality handles is a dissapointment. My next fridge will be a LG, at least their handles are permanently attached.

• Be
      8th of Feb, 2008

I purchased a Ice20 4-8-06 from Home Depot . I also purchased the 5 yr extented warranty after I discussed with the specialty rep about the problem with a ice maker I had with the last frig I owned. She said she would advise me to buy it and then I would be covered for anything. The total price I paid was $2,721.89. Everything was fine until 9-20-06 the ice maker went out. The service store they use in the rural area we are in, replaced the ice maker which worked for about a month. I called the Home Depot Customer Service and after the run around one very rude young lady told me to unplug the frig and waite about five minutes and then plug it in, it would work again. I disgustingly tried it and of course it didn't work. I was so upset after I thought of the price I had paid for this frig and already having this SAME kind of trouble. It didn't ever get fixed and then the panel board went out on it with the blinking, flashing lights and terrible noise the week before Christmas!! It was full of food for the company I had coming for the holiday that ruined and I had to throw out. I called Home Depot, they said they had no info on my PURCHASE or WARRANTY because it had been over a year since I purchased it. They had to contact the extended warranty department with GE, to see if I was registered with them. A Home Depot employee told me on 12/24 that he was working on getting me a NEW FRIG and theRepair Store would be out on Thurs. 12/27. Finally on 1/14/08 the repairman came & looked, ordered new panel board and ice maker. (Said they had had service calls of the same type on he was sure every frig of the same style that was sold in this area.) Parts are now on back order. I was told if the parts don't come in in 48 hrs they have to replace frig. I was told today that he doesn't think he will be able to get NEW FRIG but they will send me a check $25 for the inconvience I have experienced. I feel I bought an inferior product from HOME DEPOT AND THEY SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE PRODUCTS THEY SELL!!! After reading all of the complaints I also feel that MAYTAG IS KNOWINGLY SELLING VERY INFERIOR PRODUCTS AND CONTINUE TO !! YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD AT LEAST TAKE THE PRODUCT OFF THE MARKET AND OWN UP TO THE DAMAGE THEY HAVE CAUSED EVERY PERSON WHO HAS BOUGHT THEIR FRIG!!!

I WANT TO BE REIMBURSED OR GIVEN A DIFFERENT BRAND OF FRIG!!!

• Wi
      13th of Feb, 2008

Seeing all these complaints just gets my blood pumping. I have a MSD24554GRW refrigerator. I bot this THING in 2004 when I purchased a new home. Its a side by side I guess you call it or two doors. The thing lost the compressor twice in less than a year. I lost food of course but gawd forbid you can follow that procedure for some type of recovery cost.

So it does work now but you cant believe the noises this thing makes. I can best describe it as a ping pong ball (game) going on in there. Repair man says its a fan so he changed it of course I had to pay labor, and whala... absolutely no change. The noise is coming from the left panel on the freezer side and it sounds awfull. So we have learned to put up with it but trust me not much longer.

• To
      18th of Feb, 2008

We have owned our ICE20 fridge for just over a year and last night it became possessed. The lights on front started flashing and clicking and the ice chute door started flapping. After we decided to search the web for answers rather than call an excorcist, I came across this page and was surprised there have been so many of the same stories submitted. Just think of how many others there are out there! And how about how many have reported, just like our case, their problems to start happening just a few months past warranty expiration. I'm not one who believes in simple coincidences like that. Sounds like the lonely repairman is trying to drum up business to me. I'm going to take the advise I read and see if Maytag will come out quickly and resolve the problem free of charge or I'm all over the class action lawsuit suggestion. Been involved in a couple of those and they can be very rewarding, even if the benefit personally isn't all that much if you know what I mean. Also, I concur that you all should make every effort to make public this issue and the fact that registered owners have not long ago been contacted about the issue remedies made. Shame on Maytag for their deeds, but shame on us for not warning the public.

24th of Feb, 2008

Add my refridgerator to the list. I bought it around June 2006. The flashing lights and flapping started sometime within the last 24 hours. It is not constant at this point. It flashes and flaps for about 15 minutes then stops for 25-30 minutes. I taped a folded paper towel over the inside of the ice chute to reduce the amount of cold air that escapes. Thanks to other posts at least I know what is causing the problem.

• Ci
      27th of Feb, 2008

Add me !! I'm FURIOUS that this is so widespread and there has been no recall. We bought ours 8/2006 - the ice chute popping and rapid blinking of the panel lights started last night. It lasts about 20 minutes and stops, then starts again a while later.
    We were going to call Sears this morning but I decided to look online and found this site. Now I'll be calling Maytag, too.

Our local TV news has a consumer reports reporter - guess who my NEXT phone call will be to ?!!!!

• Da
      28th of Feb, 2008

Add my fridge to the list. Same problems as others have posted. Thanks to finding this site, I called Maytag and they gladly fixed the problem without hesitation. They called it "a known quality issue". Parts and labor fully covered even though my fridge is past the standard 1 yr warranty -- purchased in July '06.

• Mi
      1st of Mar, 2008

Wow here I sit at 12:36am as I was brought out of bed by my dogs barking, I got to investigate that my fridge has become possessed and the contact clicking of the ice maker was not a pleasant sounds to my Yorkies. But my parents, who have the same fridge, had this problem in November, I called them and they gave us the information about disabling the ice maker so the clicking will stop. I called the service number but apparently they can’t schedule an appointment and I have to call back tomorrow because they are doing there weekly database update. Really? Why even bother answering the phone if you have to tell them to call back the next day.

My parents’ fridge was out of warranty but Maytag covered all expenses and I will make absolutely certain they will do the same for me.

If this is a widespread known problem, why not let people know so they are not alarmed when the ice maker lights go crazy and the thing keeps clicking out imaginary ice cubes. Can we say Class Action Suit??

• Bo
      2nd of Mar, 2008

You have two separate problems: The most important problem, the flashing lights and constantly flapping ice chute door is due to two defective electrolytic filter capacitors on the High Voltage control board located in back (the two side-by-side 3/8" diameter by 1/2" high devices marked 680 uF). Contact your appliance dealer or Whirlpool service, and they will ship out a replacement board with programming instructions no charge, and schedule a service tech to install if you want. This is easy to replace and program by yourself.
    If you know how to unsolder and replace electronic components, you can buy replacement parts at Radio Shack. It is important that you program in the correct code for you model. The code is on the Service tag inside of the door.

The ice refreezing and clumping may be due to the icemaker unit not sealing and latching tight (air leak), or possibly a defective (slow) icemaker fan.

2nd of Mar, 2008

Thank God for complaint forums like this... I am so mad! I also have one of the HIGH END refridgerator that is currently broken down. We have been Very dissapointed with this unit. Have ice maker problems. I really thought the kids broke it and I have been on there butts about it. Then one morning at 5:00 am I get up and our fridge had a mind of it own also... Blinking lights, ice flap clicking.. my husband was not happy having to get up and deal with this at 5:00 am. We also did everything to unplugging to pulling out the ice tray, nothing worked. He finally unhooked something on top of the door to disconnect the ice maker. I thought this was the end and I would call and get repaired! OK right! Contacted maytag... was under warrenty, they in returned call a local repair company, that repair company called me and couldn't get out here for a couple of days. Of course at this point I didn't know the stupid thing wasn't cooling. I went on to work, spent a half of day on the phone getting this taken care of, NOT ONCE did anyone tell me it would be out completly! I get home from work and everything in the fridge was warm and frozen stuff had started thowing! Spent another 4 hours cleaning this mess up! It has been a living nightmare! I am living out of a cooler on our porch, thank god we have a fridge in our detached garage for our BEER! It has now been 5 days and still no WORKING fridge! I really want to know what MAYTAG is going to do about this... I am pissed, the inconvenience of this with having a family of 5 it has been a nightmare. How about maytag reimbursing me for all these meals out and the food I have lost! If it was a older unit you can see having problems, but a high end product not even a year old! HELLO!!! Can we all band together and do something, I can be the only person B***hing about this. Please contact me anyone who wants to start a class action suit! Lisa from VA...

3rd of Mar, 2008

I was in the appliance business for 23 years before leaving that field in 2005. Some suggestions with regard to all these issues with your refrigerators.

First and foremost, document, document, document. Secondly, and probably not appealing to most, is buy a service contract. Some companies offer service contracts (also called extended warranties), up to 1 year from the date of purchase or installation. I know Maytag did, it was called Dependability Plus. Most of these extended warranties have clauses in them that protect the consumer against lemons, and the repeated failure of the same parts. They used to cost about $69-$89 for a 3 or 4 year extension.

If you don't want to purchase an extended warranty, and have had numerous repairs done to a unit still less than a year old, contact the Consumer Relations arm of the manufacturer, NOT the service department.
    Sometimes the consumer relations arm of the company will assist you because they want you to come back when you need to buy a new appliance and tell your friends and family how great they are.

• Ji
      4th of Mar, 2008

Round 4 - the ice maker quits, again. This is the 4th time (not counting the flashing light/flapping door card failure). This should make it an official "lemon" under state law. As we were away from home in February, we arranged for the repair man from A&E to arrive today - 4th March. You have to make these appointments 2 weeks in advance of anyone coming to your home. This is under the extended warranty that we purchased - the only smart thing we purchased that day in the Maytag store. Well, he walks in - inspects the empty, dry ice making unit and advises that he doesn't carry a spare unit with him. It's nice to know that there are companies like A&E that hire the mentally handicapped. Final word - if you purchase a Maytag cum Whirlpool piece of junk, it's your own fault. Called the Maytag store - they will "try to expedite" it earlier than the 13th of March currently scheduled return visit. Another month in my life spent buying ice cubes for a $3000 fridge.

7th of Mar, 2008

I woke up last night
    Same problem (flapping .....blinking)
    Called Maytag number this morning and was offered no assistance
    WIth information from this site, I will call again and be more specific about my needs and expectations
    I will proceed with the expectation that people/Maytag will do the right thing
    I truely hope I am nott dissapointed

• Ji
      9th of Mar, 2008

Same thing, except I guess I was lucky. I did not have to go through that ice door fiasco. My front panel just went dead for no reason. Wh had not touched it or made any adjustments. It sounds like it is most likely the rear HV board.

I have taken that out. I have read a lot of posts to a lot of sites and they indicate the capacitors should be rounded at the top if they are the problem. Mine are flat. I hesitate spending $179 to buy a new board if this is not the problem.

The front board is a little cheaper. I might try that first.

by the way- to stop that ice door problem, you can pop your drip tray out, remove two 1/4" screws and disconnect the wire to the ice tray. Very easy to do, just pop the plug out of its socket. you will know when you get the right plug-the ice maker door will quick going nuts. This may save the first service call.

I agree on a class action suit against Maytag. This is a part that should not expire after one year of normal operation. This model of regrigerator was very expensive. I bought it because I had good luck with old Maytag products. But, you can say what you want about the American worker. I live in Illinois and I know a lot of jobs were lost to Mexico (from Iowa) Thanks Nafta. The first thing I saw when I opened up the back of my HV cover was the sticker: "Assembled in Mexico."

I guess the thing to do in the future is ask if the product is made in America. We might at least get better service because our workers enjoy job security. Does a Maytag customer service rep really care if we quit buying Maytag. One moe Mexican plant will be replaced with a Hoover vacuum plant or something.

ps I would be willing to get something started on this. Email me if interested.

10th of Mar, 2008

same problem. icemaker flapper opening and closing on its own... lights flashibg. piece of junk.
    if we don't unite and demand refunds, via a class action suit or whatever legal posturing we're entitled to, then we, who can't afford it, lose... and they, Maytag, who can afford it, win.
    Any attorneys out there?... L