Maytag / French Door Refrigerator / problems with the ice maker!

United States Review updated:

I bought my maytag ice2o French door refrigerator from home depot 8 mos ago. Loved it when I got it, but soon after had problems with the ice maker. They replaced the ice maker. Now the ice maker is still having problems. Its not strong enough to break up all the ice. The ice cubes freeze in big blocks causing the system to clog. Last night the thing took on a mind of its own. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing all on its own, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. Finally we had to unplug it so we could get 4 hours sleep. Plug it in this morning and its still doing it. My biggest concern is what happens after the warranty runs out. I already know this thing has mechanical problems. Did I get a lemon or is it junk?? Either way I'm stuck with a $2,800 refrigerator that seems like it has bad engineering.

• Maytag Customer Care's Response, Mar 31, 2017

Dear Valerie: We are sorry to hear of the issue that you are experiencing with your Refrigerator.
    We would be happy to look into this matter. If you could email us at [protected]@Maytag.com with your name, phone number, and address along with the model and serial number of the Refrigerator.

Va

Comments

• Pe
      9th of Aug, 2007

My Maytag MFI256AES started the same flashing light, ice door flap thing today. Purchased this machine in 03/06 from Home Depot. But I bought the 4 year extended service contract for $380, I'm brilliant! But wait, the contract, by Home Cheapo, does not cover emergency repairs so I can wait until next Thursday! I ranted and raved at the poor customer service rep but all she could say was, "I apologize, I'm sorry." She finally transfered me to someone that scheduled service for today from A+E, we'll see. So I got a lousy refrigerator from Maytag and a lousy service contract from Home Depot.

• Lo
      10th of Aug, 2007

Same problems as everyone else! Fridge is 13 mos. old. While under warranty, had the icemaker replaced THREE times. The amount of ice it makes is pitiful. At 4:00 this morning clacker flapping and lights flashing! Repairman is supposed to come this afternoon, has the part in stock, seemed very familiar with the problem! This will cost almost $400. Besides all the major problems, this fridge is designed very poorly. Water dribbles down door everytime dispenser is used, whatever is on the shelf next to icemaker freezes, food on shelves is hard to locate. And how about the design of those doors! If you just want to open the left door you run the risk of not having it close properly. If it's only slightly ajar, the door alarm won't sense it. And doesn't it seem strange that a door alarm is even needed? This refrigerator is truly a piece of expensive junk; shame on Maytag for continuing to sell them and for not taking care of their customers. We will not buy Maytag again.

13th of Aug, 2007

Problems with Maytag Refrigerators?

Our firm is investigating a potential class action against Maytag with respect to the Ice-20. If you are or have experienced these problems, and are willing to assist with our investigation, please contact us through our firm’s website at http://www.protectingtheconsumer.com/potential-legal-issues.php and fill out a form so that our firm can investigate your situation.

• Sc
      13th of Aug, 2007

I bought my Ice2O 14 months ago. Late one night last week my wife came downstairs and told me the refrigerator was possessed! Just like all the rest of you, it was late at night and the lights were blinking and the ice door kept opening and shutting making a lot of noise. After doing a quick online search I found this site and was hoping to find a magic reset button or sequence of buttons to reset the computer or something. After reading for a few hours and several links later I found this posting! It is GREAT. A 19 page procedure with pictures and plenty of explanation.

It I waited for Radio Shack to open and spent my $4 in parts. After about an hour at home, the fridge was working great and has remained working for over a week now. I tried calling Maytag and after mentioning it seemed to be a known problem they offered to give me 50% off the part but a technician would still have to install it. Then I mentioned how disappointed I was in the expensive product and the customer agent offered the part for free but still had to wait almost a week for a technician to install. I followed the instructions on the link above and in less than an hour after Radio Shack opened, everything was working great.

Maytag & A&E repair really need to get their act together. I don't plan on buying any appliances that A&E repairs, their service really stinks in this area.

14th of Aug, 2007

I am still stuck with the HV Board I ordered from Maytag but no longer need because I fixed the old board myself. I even purchased some spare capacitors that are the correct rating to fix it again if it breaks because radio shack doesn't have the exact capacitors that seem to fry. I'm pretty sure that if I plug the refrigerator into a surge protector and then into the wall, the problem will not reoccur, but I have the capacitors just in case.

I wish Maytage would take back the board I paid $100 for.

• Li
      20th of Aug, 2007

We, too, have the same refrigerator problems! Lights flashing, ice door flapping, and to this point are not sure if it is cooling or not? I expected a "top of the line" refrigerator for the 2000.00 + dollars we paid for this beast! We have owned the fridge for a little over a year... ugh!

• Le
      23rd of Aug, 2007

Wow, deja vu. I was woken up in the middle of the night by the flapping ice maker door/blinking lights. I did buy the extended warranty, as I had failure of the front control panel two months after purchase. A & E had someone out within 48 hours, but of course, the technician didn't have the part on his truck. That took 9 days to arrive. Once I notified A&E that I had the part, they scheduled the repair for 5 days later. All told, I had no fridge for two and a half weeks. In the meantime, the technician told me that the extended warranty didn't cover food spoilage from malfunction. I showed him the contract language written on the back of my 'certificate of extended warranty' specifying the amount covered and his response was that someone didn't know what they were selling me and it wasn't really covered. Whatever, just repair my fridge, I'll deal with that separately. This fridge is a POS and I would love to join in any class action. Oh yeah, the icemaker isn't working either...

• Ka
      29th of Aug, 2007

Same problem as everyone else, but after reading all of these posts I called Maytag back and demanded parts AND labor to be covered.

Yesterday, when all of the lights started blinking and the ice door flapping, I called Maytag and they said that since the refrigerator was 16 months old and I didn't buy the extended warranty, only the parts would be covered. They couldn't get a repair tech out until the next day, so I went through an authorized service center who was able to send someone out within a few hours. The Maytag clerk called the service center and authorized parts only to be covered, but I would have to pay for labor. When the service tech came out, he was baffled, said he had never seen anything like it before. My bet is that he's going to see many, many more in the future! He ordered a new circuit board and said he would bring it out ASAP, because at that point all of the flapping was driving him crazy! The wonderful service tech even ordered a new plastic housing in case he breaks the old one when he replaces the board. He left the unit on so that my refrigerator and freezer continue to cool. We just had to listen to the flapping all night long. And just after midnight the door alarm started beeping, but thankfully I was able to turn that off and it hasn't sounded again.

After that, I decided to search the internet to see if anyone else had a similar problem. WOW! I called Maytag immediately and asked if there was a recall on the refrigerator. The answer was No, it's "not a quality issue". I hit the roof and told her of the hundreds of people on the internet who are experiencing the same exact problem, just over a year later on a $2800 appliance! I told her that I would not accept only parts to be covered, that I wanted all labor to be covered as well. She said that they couldn't do that, so I asked to speak to her supervisor. I told her I had already posted on the internet, was going to join a class action lawsuit, and would be calling my local TV station to report the problem. She put me on hold, and minutes later came back and told me they would pay for everything. I called the repair shop and half an hour later, and true to her word, they had received a call authorizing parts and labor costs. The new circuit board is due in tomorrow.

So, my advice:

Call Maytag 1-800-688-9900

Go through a local service tech instead of their company. You can find a list on Maytag's website. You do have to call back Maytag and have them call and authorize the costs, but they put me on hold and did it quickly.

Demand that parts AND labor to be covered. Ask to speak to a supervisor if you get the answer "No". Finally, post your experience so we can see how widespread this is!

Now, my next concern is: Are we all going to be going through this again in 13-16 months? Are the replacement circuit boards faulty as well?

Good luck everyone!

29th of Aug, 2007

Maytag now has a fix for this problem that they will cover the cost of the part and installation of the the circuit board that causes this problem. Even when my frig was out of warranty by five months. They were very helpful and persistent to fix the problem.

• Ka
      31st of Aug, 2007

This thing (French Door) pops & cracks & bangs & hisses, have never heard anything like it. Home Depot is no help. They don't care if it takes 3 or 4 weeks to get it fixed. I wonder if they are they selling 2nds. Wish I'd read up on this model before I bought, but I always thought Maytag was tops. I know now!! If this is an ongoing problem why don't have a recall like on cars & get it taken care of.

• Su
      31st of Aug, 2007

My 16 mo. old Ice2o started flashing and flapping last night. Went to the Maytag website but they don't have anything there about a recall on the circuit board. Called them this morning and the rep said he couldn't address the issue without the model and serial number but that he was unaware of a recall on the circuit board. I'll call them back tomorrow with the serial and model numbers (I'm at work and don't have that info with me) and update after I've made the call.

• Ga
      31st of Aug, 2007

Oh, my. I posted here months ago when I had the problem and I forgot to check back to post a follow up. Amazing to see how many people have had this problem. I posted a short guide on how to replace the board yourself, but if the part is under warranty or recall, I'd go that route since the part is expensive.

There are bad capacitors on the broken board and I have heard from some people that replacing just the caps will fix the problem; however, you have to know how to solder to do this. If you can replace the caps yourself you can be running in a day instead of weeks to wait for a repairman or parts.

• Fr
      31st of Aug, 2007

I'm too tired to type so I'll just cut-n-paste as it seems everyone has the same problem...

I am having the exact same problems with my 18 month old ice2o. No ice, no water, the lights are all blinking, and the clacking noise is so loud that you can hear it throughout the house. This is not the first time we've had problems with this fridge. First the door alarm wouldn't work, then it worked too much, then it seemed to fix itself as we were waiting a couple of weeks for someone to come look at it. I'm starting to think that mine is not a lemon, maybe they are badly engineered pieces of very expensive junk.

• Su
      31st of Aug, 2007

Called Maytag again with serial & model numbers. They insisted there is no recall on the circuit board but I did slip in a couple of mentions about the potential class action suit. I was put on hold while the rep conferred with her supervisor about what could be done to resolve the issue. They are sending A&E out next Friday to replace the board at no charge to me. Additionally, I was told emphatically, that if there was any issue with the repair service to contact them at their 800# to get it resolved before the service person leaves the premises. I also had the rep add to the service call that the ice maker was no longer producing any ice and was told that that issue would also be handled when A&E comes out next Friday. So I get to live with a week of flashing, flapping and beeping (and no ice). Will update after the service call. Sanity hint for those of who waiting for repair: clip a small cloth to the rubber rim of the ice shute and let it hang through the ice exit door. It will deaden that constant flapping noise. I used a small binder clip to hold the cloth in place, otherwise it just kept falling out from the continual movement of the ice flap.

2nd of Sep, 2007

Oh MY HECK!!!! Well around 5:30 my water dispenser stopped working and the ice. My husband left for work said can't look at it now he left and guess what it starts flapping!!!! Then the alarm went off. I have 4 kids!!!! I am not happy!!! How could they not want to fix this or recall it!!! Please e-mail if any of you hear anything. Thank you!!!

oh my model # is MFI2568AEQ Thank you Christin

• Sh
      2nd of Sep, 2007

I can't believe what I have just read!!! We were woken up to the noise and sure enough we have the flashing lights and flapping noise on the control panel. Our Ice 2O is just17 mos old. Maytag products are a piece of crap!!! Never will I buy one of their products again. Thank you for all the suggestions. I will call the 800 number after the Labor Day holiday. So now it has been 24 hours and now our food is starting to spoil also!!! Service man from Maytag will be out on Tuesday....they did mention there is a recall notice on the control panel so hopefully all expenses will be covered. Thanks so much for the info!!

3rd of Sep, 2007

I bought my Maytag Ice2o French Door Refrigerator from Lowes 14mos ago. All the lights are flashing on the control panel, the ice and water maker don't work at all. The flap is constantly opening and closing, constantly making a clicking noise all night long. This is a 3day weekend and it was 105F were i live. And my husband had surgery on Friday. I had to make multiple trips to the store just to get drinks and ice because my refrigerator isn't working properly. I had to unplug the refrigerator because of the loud noise wouldn't let my husband rest. I was not able to get a hold of anybody @ maytag. I have three kids and it has been hard not having a refrigerator, because they are always thirsty and with the hot weather it makes it worse. I did send them an e-mail and it says that somebody will contact me in 3 business days. i didn't get the extended warranty.

• Am
      3rd of Sep, 2007

Hello all!! Same thing here! Worked last night then today no water, no ice and now of course the frig is flapping and blinking like crazy. Saw a previous post on how to turn off the front panel and did it, so no more flapping! Yeah! I will be calling Maytag tomorrow. I have already sent them an email. I am fed up with purchasing items and then oh about 1 year later there are issues with them. I purchased this frig along with 2 other Maytag appliances for our new house and told everyone how much I loved it. Well, now I am singing a different tune. I have already posted a negative review at Bizrate.com and will post on any other website that asks for consumer opinions. Good luck to all in dealing with your frig and Maytag!

4th of Sep, 2007

No need to repeat the details... We had the same blinking issue... Fridge 3 months out of warranty. Started at 3:30 am and woke the whole family up.

I read the appliance guru page (http://applianceguru.com/view_topic.php?id=13035&forum_id=1&jump_to=75815) and bought the parts at Radio Shack...

But then I noticed that a few posters had luck getting Maytag to replace to part and cover the labor even out of warranty. (Fred / Kathy) I figured getting a whole new board would be better just in case there were other improvements.

So I called Maytag and literally within 5 minutes they had faxed authorization to a local repair shop to fix the fridge. (Parts and labor included.) Maybe I got lucky. (Here are the details of what I said: I mentioned that I read online that Maytag was replacing the board even when the Fridge was out of warranty. The tech put me on hold and checked with the supervisor and she said they would cover it. They looked up a local repair shop for me and sent the authorization.)

The good news is that we have an excellent local repair shop. They ordered the part overnight and replaced it the next business day.

They used Part # 12920710 (BOARD HV C). Also I noticed that Maytag used a different brand of capacitors on the entire board. (Not just on the two that have been going bad.)

Now I just hope we don’t have the ice maker go out like so many others have had happen to them.

Good luck all !

4th of Sep, 2007

I forgot to mention on thing... Our ICE20 icemaker was also making large blocks of ice that it couldn't break up and it was getting jammed. The local repair shop tuned the icemaker to put less water in the tray. That seems to have resolved that problem.

There is a little set screw behind the ice maker cover. Turning it only a quarter of a turn fixed the problem. Don't turn it more than a quarter turn or you might not get any water in the ice tray at all. Test each quarter turn for a day or two before changing it any more. (There are +/- markers around the screw. Just turn it towards the '-'.)

• Ta
      5th of Sep, 2007

I am having the same problem, lights flashing, ice maker flapping and stopped cooling. I called yesterday to "Maytag extended warranty" and the company they are sending out didn't even know about the problem because they are a "whirlpool shop", but to their credit they are trying very hard to get the part and get it fixed. I now have no fridge and bought this in may/april 06. I wish I wouldn't have updated my kitchen because my other fridge worked fine for 13 years!

• To
      8th of Sep, 2007

Well ad me to the list. No need to go into what I've been going through. You all have been or are going through it already. Fridge broke on 07/20/07 and still waiting for the part which is on backorder. Bought my fridge new from Lowes in South Florida on 03/06 and purchased extended warranty. Maytag & Lowes absolutely have the worst customer service ever and I will never purchase any appliance through them again. From the many phone calls and emails to both its amazing how this is the first time they have heard of this issue with the ICE2O!!! Long story short don't buy this fridge its a piece of crap, save yourself the headache.

• Ro
      9th of Sep, 2007

This is getting to be one huge club. I too, have had the flapper running constantly and the lights blinking on the control panel.
    Here's a little tip that might help anyone in the future with some electrical know how:

The above website will give you very simple instructions and pictures for replacing two capicators on the HV board. This will most likely fix your problem too. The cost: about 5 to 20 bucks and little time. I hope the information is helpful.

• Ty
      11th of Sep, 2007

I think that Maytag has programmed their appliances to take over the world at a specific time. Same problem here – awoke this morning to the flapping and flashing! I am in the process of writing a snail mail letter to Maytag, providing customer quotes from various websites. I hope that Maytag will not ignore this letter and will take appropriate action.

• Gk
      12th of Sep, 2007

I've suffered 3 days so far (and counting) of lights and flapping. So sign me up as a member of your club.....It would be nice to know how many members strong we are!!!!

A not so proud owner of an 18month old ice20.

I'm in the middle of compossing my letter to maytag in the hope of acknowlegement.... Any one got names of the higher beings that be,at maytag. As I would like to be on first name terms with the people who I'm about to embark on a beautiful relationship, which from the sounds of some of the coments on here will rather long and arduous. Or maybe, just maybe short and sweet.

Wish me luck and I'll let you all know, if ever, I get a reply!!!

"Whow! this is page 6 of the same problem" - Stand strong my friends and united we'll fight.

• Gk
      13th of Sep, 2007

To follow on my post from above.....

After posting yesterday, I decided to phone Maytag directly before A& E Appliances came to replace the board. Told them the internet is swimming with the same problem and Asked for my complaint to be formly logged so that they can get intouch with me when they do a recall. Before I could go any further the nice lady on the other end gave me a reference number to give to technician when he arrives.

Fair enough the guy turned up this morning. Job took all of 5 minutes and I didn't have to pay a penny. Even before he knew I had a ref. number he asked me to phone Maytag so I wouldn't be charged.

Everything was so simple I think maytag is acknowledging the problem. I'm so happy I looked at the internet, before paying an independent repair company, which is what I would have done if I hadn't have found you guys!

Wish everyone luck - still, could have done without the hasstle though!

• Li
      13th of Sep, 2007

We got this refrigerator (MFI2568AEB) in June 2006. After a few days the icemaker quit working. We had it replaced. Then July 2007 ( lucky we have 3 year extended warranty) we had the flapping noise and the flashing lights and then refirigerator wouldn't cool anymore and lost a bunch of food! Our dealer put in a high voltage board and that took care of the problem. Now 2 months later we have no ice. Service was out today and the ice is frozen in the back part where the cubes form. So now we wait 7-10 days for a totally new icemaker. We are so angry over spending $2300 that we asked for a different refrigerator. Dealer states they can't do it without Maytag's approval. So I have been on the phone today with Maytag and getting no where fast. Maytag claims it isn't a lemon until we have 3 calls for the same thing under the 3 year extended warranty. They won't include the call we had under the 1 year warranty.
    We are half sick over this. We gave our really old refrigerator to our next door neighbor and it is still running like a champ. Go figure!
    I believe it is the design that is wrong not just that we got a lemon. I want something new and different for my $2300! This is ridiculous.

16th of Sep, 2007

Same issue as the other board members last night the fridge got posesed flashing lights, flapping noise, the fridge is 3 months out of warranty. The freezer seems to work fine but the refrigerator has stopped working, is this what evryone has experienced?? Will call Maytag tomorrow to see if i am succesfull in getting them to repair the fridge labor + parts, like some of the other people have had success.

• Db
      17th of Sep, 2007

I have just joined the club. My ice machine is also making sounds and the panel is flashing like a madman (woman)..... I hope that there is a class action suit. I have had problems with the ice dispenser and freezer. ( reparied twice). I was supprised by the same complains. Glad I found this post. It is only 9 months old. If anyone has any names in upper managemen, for the letter, let me know. Customer service will only try to shove me off. ( past experience.)

18th of Sep, 2007

I had this same problem two months ago. This is what I did:

1. I disabled the flapper by unscrewing a screw at the top of the left door hinge and then disconnected the plug that provides power to the door. This is allowed my frig to continue working (except for the water/ice) but stopped the flapper from flapping.
    2. I purchased the bad board from Maytag which I installed when I received it in 2 days. Then I reconnected the wires that I had previously disconnected. The new board needed to be programmed with info I found under the front right side of the frig on some 8.5x11 instructions which were easily removed.
    3. I repaired the old board using info from a contributor on this site and reinstalled it in the frig.
    4. I now have a programmed new board from Maytag that I would be happy to send to anyone so they can fix their frig without programming anything. It takes about 10 minutes to install.
    5. After several complaints to their customer service number, I received a full refund for the cost of the new board. They didn't want it back because they said they cannot accept electronic part returns.

I now have a new board, at no cost, that i would be glad to give to anyone who does not have the ability to repair their existing board. I will ask that you send me your existing board so I can repair it and give it to someone else. This way, there is always a board available (that is already programmed) for anyone to use. My number is 516-650-6167 if anyone is interested in speaking. I have already helped one person who was able to repair their existing board themselves.

We don't need Maytag to help us. We can help each other with less frustration. And ... the frig will be working again more quickly.

19th of Sep, 2007

Ditto! Very eerie. At night and 15 months old, my fridge is flapping open and closed = just like a 15 month old kid in his diaper. In the end it's all the same - crap.

20th of Sep, 2007

Add me to your club. 16month old Ice20 and 48 hours of flapper opening and closing. Everything in refrigerator is spoiled. We've already had 2 service calls to repair ice maker. We're out of warranty and this little repair is costing us about $350 for 2 service calls and the new board. It's amazing to me that Maytag would put something on the market with so many obvious flaws.

• Va
      21st of Sep, 2007

I am going through the same problems as all of you. My ice-maker went out first then I got a replacement then everything else went down the hill from there. I need a new ice maker again, they replaced a circuit board and a mother board and now, I am waiting on a new fan. I can't wait for all this to be over, my blood pressure wen't up because of all this. I have 4 kids and have had no sympathy from them. I am going to check for any lawsuits.

23rd of Sep, 2007

Follow up to my last weeks post, maytag fixed the fridge (flapper problem) on Friday. My wife called the maytag customer service on Monday (9/17) and the lady authorized the repair without any problem (we are 3 months out of warranty). Since the repair was done by Maytag has anyone got their warranty extended for this problem??

• Jc
      24th of Sep, 2007

Had the same problem as all of you. Caled Maytag to tell them and they said I would have to pay for at least the parts. Service person is coming today and is now athorized to take of everything parts and labor.
    I also mentioned the number of complaints online and they changed their tune in a hurry.
    I also agree that this is a short term answer and we'll all be in the same boat down the road.

24th of Sep, 2007

Same Problem on fridge purchased in June of '06. We are now on the 5th day of no refrigerator. Still waiting on the repairman to show. That is if the service center can locate 1 that will honor the 4 year extended warranty we bought(a lot of good it is)! I was finally contacted today by a service tech only to be asked who is paying for the call. So here I start all over again. Guess it's back to the store for 4 more bags of ice to get through the night!

• Jc
      24th of Sep, 2007

OK an update from earlier. The service man showed up with the board that I needed. He said the problem is so common that hey just carry the parts with them now. I feel lucky to have it up in running already. I too made a coment to Maytag about this complaint board and they took no time to get authorization to the serivice company to take care of everything. I hope this helps someone!

• Sm
      24th of Sep, 2007

Same issue here. The crazy flapper, and no cooling of the refrigerator. Repairman that Maytag uses in our area can come out in three days. As I type, mI am on hold with Maytag. Supposedly, they are calling the repairman directly to authorize the repairs free of charge. My 20 year old refrigerator( which the Maytag I2O replaced) was moved to the basement and is still running. We keep extra soda and other things in it until today. Now all the " salvage food" is in the old frig. The Maytag is a POS. Need I say more?

24th of Sep, 2007

Dang, guess what. Wife calls ( I am away on business) and says the lights are blinking and the flapper is flapping like crazy. She did get a repairman to come out tomorrow morning. Ours is about 2 years old, but like most of you $2400 for this? Told the wife to unplug it for a few hours to stop the infiltration of moisture through the door. I do have a refrigerator in the garage, just got to move the beer aside to put food in. Sounds like Maytag needs to pony up on this POS.