Maytag Dishwasher / recall

1 AL, Canada Review updated:

I have been trying to have my dishwasher repaired on the fire safety recall for more than three months - I have been run around every bush - refereed in a great circle to their "Help" lines, promised call-backs dozens of times, promised next day resolution by people then ignored - three months with calls to them every 2-3 days is too much - is there a class action or something out there - some recourse against a company who, once the've sold the appliance has lost interest - The Maytag repairman must be turning in his grave

Comments

• Va
      30th of Oct, 2006
    Maytag Dishwasher - does not do a clean

I have had 2 service people come to check this $700.00 CAD dish washer and the 3rd person to come has cancelled twice and when I called Sears to resked this appointement and asked to speak to a manager I was told one would call me back in 40 minutes.That was 2 weeks ago. No one has ever returned my call. This Maytag dishwasher does not do a clean and thorough job and I am getting nowhere with the customer service dept at SEARS.

• Jm
      23rd of Nov, 2006

A lot of people do not know the little things like how Sear's buy their products from the manufactures. When they buy a refer, washer or any other products from most of the manufacture, most of the time, they do not have a warrenty from that Manufacture. They tell you, if you need service, please call Sear's. Thats why Sear's is still in business, they can buy the products with no warrenty, so its cheeper for them to do the warrenty and they can sell it cheeper to the consumer. Thats why the salesperson will tell you to come back on Saturday to buy and save a extra 10 to 20% on the product and then hit you with a extended warrenty. So if you are going to complain on a product, you need to know how the game is played with Sear's. You need to go to the top with Sear's and scream as loud as you can and get their attention they will listen. They can't afford not to, their market share is shirking little by little. If you do not buy a extended warrenty you still will get the manufacture warrenty, but its through Sear's not the Manufacture in most cases. And by the way, extended warrenty are not a bad thing. Manufactures do not have a crystal ball and if they did they get out of the business. They do everything they can, to provide consumer with products that will proform with good resualts. If you think when you buy something and should never have a problem with it, no matter what you paid for it, shame on you! Protect yourself, the Manufacture can not afford to do that any more. it's your choice in most cases. Now your case, start call some one up high that can make some decision on what to do, they will listen to you.

• Ca
      5th of Jun, 2007
    Maytag Dishwasher - replacement parts broke my dishwasher

My dishwasher is part of the Maytag recall. I've seen a lot of posts on various sites that express frustration with this recall. I received the replacement parts for my dishwasher and had a local repairman install them. When he tested the dishwasher it tripped the breaker in my house. After some research he discovered that the replacement part that was sent to me was wired wrong and had destroyed a sensor in my dishwasher! The "fix" was worse than the original problem, because now I didn't even have the option of using the dishwasher (and he said mine wasn't leaking... which was what the recall was about).

He ordered the replacement part for me. After about 3 weeks I called Maytag and they said the part had just arrived at the warehouse and I should receive it by the following Friday. Five days after that Friday I called and they said the part was on backorder. I asked to speak to a supervisor and she said she was a supervisor and could refer my case to corporate and they would call me back within 72 hours. That was a week ago and still no call. I'm going on 6 (or is it 7?) weeks without the use of my dishwasher because Maytag sent a broken part to me! The worst part is that I'm selling my house and we're supposed to close in a week and the new owners will certainly expect a functioning dishwasher!

You can be sure that I will NOT be buying Maytag appliances for my new house!!!

• M
      6th of Jun, 2007

Forget about the Maytag repairman, he is only an illusion. Now the next illusory item brought forth by the think-tanks and powers that be which rule Maytag (Whirlpool) is the management and organization of its DISHWASHER RECALL campaign. Just as false as the Maytag repairman, but not nearly as nostalgic, this once glorious company whose products have once meant quality are now littering the unsuspecting public with appliances that pose severe fire hazards in the households which they are kept and frequently used. The new grand fictional scheme offered up by Maytag oops, I mean Whirlpool, are the supervisors who are at this present time handling the recall claims of these hazardous appliances.

Whirlpool has outsourced these recall agents/supervisors/escalation team to call centers throughout the country. One of these such places is West Corporation, a call center that places people with only three days of training directly on to the phones in order to fool the public into believing they are the Recall escalation supervisors. First of all this is quite far from being a supervisory position because the only thing they are supervising are the PC monitors in front of their faces with carefully phrased scripting for talking to angry consumers about their recall issues. Now talk about fictitious!

• M
      7th of Jun, 2007

Forget about the Maytag repairman, he is only an illusion. Now the next illusory item brought forth by the think-tanks and powers that be which rule Maytag is the management and organization of its DISHWASHER RECALL campaign. Just as false as the Maytag repairman, but not nearly as nostalgic, this once glorious company whose products have once meant quality are now littering the unsuspecting public with appliances that pose severe fire hazards in the households which they are kept and frequently used. The new grand fictional scheme offered up by Whirlpool oops, I mean Maytag, are the supervisors who are at this present time handling the recall claims of these hazardous appliances.

Whirlpool has outsourced these recall agents/supervisors to call centers throughout the country. One of these centers is the West Corporation, a call center that places people with only three days of training directly on to the phones in order to fool the public into believing they are the Recall escalation supervisors. First of all this is quite far from being a supervisory position because the only thing they are supervising are the PC monitors in front of their faces with carefully phrased scripting for talking to angry consumers about their recall issues. Now talk about fictitious!

• Da
      9th of Jun, 2007

This is unbelievable! We have had an identical problem with our Maytag dishwasher repair! We learned about the safety recall from the newspaper and called to get the replacement part. When our "authorized repair person" tried to install it, it shorted out. Then the locking mechanism failed, so it needed replacement. When he returned to install that, the so-called safety recall repair part shorted out our sensor "mother board" part. He called Maytag, and was told that a replacement would be sent directly to us in four to five business days. When that part did not arrive as promised, we again called Maytag and were told the part was on "back order" and that they did not know when it would be available. We were promised a call back from a supervisor "within 24 to 72 hours" and that call still has not come.

This situation is disgraceful.

12th of Jul, 2007

We've had the exact same thing happen to us as Daniel had, only today is July 12 and they still have no control panels, still don't know when they will have control panels, still don't know when they will know.

There are complaints similar to ours all over the web. What I've learned is always research recalls before proceeding! My dishwasher was working fine before the "repair". I would have been content to sit before it with a fire extinguisher before going through all this!

• Ag
      19th of Oct, 2007

I too am part of the Maytag dishwasher recall because of the rinse agent problem. I elected to have the repair. The part was sent, installed by a service agent, and discovered that my control board is damaged. My dishwasher was working before, now it is 2 weeks and no working dishwasher. Maytag did send me 2 control panels. Both are the wrong ones. The service agent (local) has washed his hands in the matter. I call Maytag and get shuffled from number to number and person to person. The latest is that someone will call me back in 3 to 10 days. ARE YOU KIDDING ME! We'll see if someone calls. I'm not holding my breath. I absolutely cannot believe this!

• Va
      20th of Oct, 2007
    Maytag Dishwasher - fire hazard

We purchased a Maytag dishwasher, purchased the top of the line metal tub etc. they never informed me of the potential to burn down my house. Yes it almost did. After the sparking incident I Found out about the recall.

I called the company they said mine was too new and not on the list.

I explained that the repair man that came was a retired whirlpool -Maytag repair man and it should not have sparked like it had and I was lucky that we were home and I cut the power.

Or it would have burn down the house.

Now after 3 weeks of trying to get them to do something finally a repairman of their choice came out. He said it was one of the worse he had seen the entire wire harness was fried.

And he would have Maytag-whirlpool send the appropriate parts to repair and prevent from happening again.

Why are they not informing the public and correcting the problem before they sell these dangerous products.

This leaking into the wiring hazard issue: has been going on for quite some time.

Sincerely

Maytag Dishwasher - broken maytag dishwasher
    Maytag
    Dallas
    Texas

I purchased a dishwasher from Home Depot in September '08 and it broke February '09. It was still under the 1 year warranty, so Maytag sent A&E to repair it. It took over 1 1/2 months, 5 different visits and they ordered parts twice before it was fixed. The washer was not draining the water, so they finally figured out it needed a new drain pump. A&E service techs are idiots. Maytag would not refund the money or send a replacement when we called to complain after the 4th visit from A&E. THey should stand behind their products and they don't!!

• Ka
      7th of Oct, 2009
    Maytag Dishwasher - a&e service company (maytags repair vendor)
    A&E Factory Service
    Long Beach
    Mississippi

I purchased brand new Maytag dish drawers from ome Depot on August 11, 2017 and installed them on September 9, 2017. The bottom dish drawer did not drain the water. I had the drawer checked and manually drained and was told to try it again. Same result, it did not drain. I was told to complete a service call.
    I travel a lot so I could not have anyone come out for 3 weeks as I was leaving town. I finally got a service appointment for MOnday October 5, 2017. I made flight arrangements so I could sit home and wait for 9 hours...they could only tell me "sometime between 8-5" only to have the service appointment cancelled the night before. I had to book a late flight getting into San Francisco very late so I could wait for this silly appointment. I got to my hotel at 1:14 am and had a 7 am breakfast meeting as well having to take a red eye flight back out the same day so I could be home WEdnesday morning for my rescheduled appointment because A&E cancelled Monday so he could have a 3 day weekend. I waited home again ALL day but had to leave for a for a few minutes to print some work contracts and was gone less than 15 minutes but knew that was fine because A&E was to call me 30 before they came to my home. I received a message at 2:41 that the technician had tried to call but received no answer. I checked my phone and had no missed calls nor messages except from A&E call center. I called them back within 3 minutes and explained that I would be home in less than 5 minutes and I had not received a call from the technician. They assured me that he would still be coming by my house. I arrived home exactly 6 minutes after the call and the technician had left note on my door stating that he was here at 2:44 pm and I had to call to reschedule.
    Bottom Line...
    1. HAD ME CHANGE MY FLIGHT SCHEDULE TO MEET HIS TIMELINE ADN THEN CANCELLED ON ME
    2. The technician DID NOT CALL me 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO COMING OUT
    3. LIED ABOUT CALLING ME
    4. A&E provides NO SERVICE and caused me to rearrange my entire schedule
    5. expected me to wait around for 18 hours (2 days wasted)
    I asociate Maytag with A&E now and will not purchase another Maytag appliance because of them.

• Vi
      18th of Jun, 2011

I do NOT want my money back. And I congratulate Maytag for discontinuing making the Maytag dishwasher, due to so many complaints. I do NOT want a repairman, though when I called and talked to a machine, a machine (with woman's voice ) told me they would send someone out to check the fire hazard.

I do not want anyone to come out. I only want my money back, and for Maytag to have someone take it and haul it off. I want my money back so I can take it and buy a Kitchenaid.

For well over 100 years, Maytag have a record of a superior product. When my husband and I were in our salad days,
    I sprung for Maytag washer and dryer due to the quality - and it was great. I never bought another brand or even
    considered doing so. Three Maytags saw me through two Moves (from apartment to first house, and later to a bigger
    house. Maytag saw me through my husband and me, and six children - which inclded two sets of twins._ Some twenty five years ago, due to my respect for the high standards of Maytag, I bought a refrigerator made by Maytag,
    even though it was a new item for them. It gave good service - for twenty years it gave me no trouble, and the only
    reason I 'junked' it was because - when it stopped working - I felt it had done its job, and preferred junking it to
    waiting for the food to spoil - i.e. felt it had served well enough and longer enough.

When my dishwasher failed, I bought a Maytag for the same reason I had bought the Maytag dishwasher - due to the
    reputation for quality. It saw immediately that it was a piece of junk. I live in Jackson, Mississippi and happened to be talking to my married daughter, Sally Vardaman Johnson, in Minneapolis. I told her my new Maytag dishwasher
    was a piece of junk; she, too, had bought one and said hers was, too.

I then pulled up Maytag, and saw where the company had had so many complaints they had stopped making them.
    Good for them. Now I feel they need - for the sake of the high quality they had produced for over 100 years - and
    now I ony want my money back. I know a very good lawyer in Jackson, Miss. who specializes in lawsuits - his name is Richie Schwartz and he is darn good at what he does. I feel pretty sure he would be happy to get in on a class
    action suit. I plan to ask him; I know him slightly due to a long ago acquaintance when he used the brokerage firm I worked for - first as parttime receptionist, and later, got my Series 7 broker's license. I left when the firm I work ed
    - Howard Weil HQ in New Orleans, got bought by a larger firm. another reason I left is because Howard Weil's first
    rate manager (MBA from University of Chicago no less - also one of only 8 brokers in our entire state also had a
    rating of Certified Financial Analyst.) Signed Virginia Vardaman (Mrs. J. M.)
    E-mail [protected]@comcast.net