Mayan Palace, Nuevo Vallarta / Illegal selling practices and false info!

1 Mexico Review updated:

My ordeal took place on August 23, 2007 when we too fell victims to the false promises and illegal sale tactics used by Mayan Nuevo Vallarta sales reps. We had a week exchange through RCI to stay at the Mayan Palace Nuevo Vallarta. Upon our arrival we were invited to what should have been a 90 minute sales presentation, that actually took over five hours. "Serg" our sales representative gave both my husband and I a tour of the property which by the way was gorgeous! During the tour Serg began his sales pitch by using our current maintenance fees as an excuse why it would be better to purchase their vacation packages since there would be NO, maintenance fees. I don't want to make this long since I know my story is easy to relate to, but in brief here are a few of the sales pitches and promises that we were promise which in fact we were being ripped off;

1. My husband was told that if we purchased that day and that day only he was to receive a free golf package. After singing all the docs it turned out that the package was 20% off golf.
2. We purchased a redweek at the Mayan resort which again after signing the docs were told that during the holidays it would not be available for our use.
3. We were told that by purchasing at the Mayan we were actually making a great investment since trade and rental weeks for the Mayan were of high demand. We were also told that they would assist us with the rental of our week. Again after signing the docs. they gave us a list of agencies that would gladly rent or exchange our weeks and of course the Mayan resort waived any affiliation!
4. The most common illegal sale practice; No refund if contract was canceled. We were only given a Three day not Five cooling period with no money back!

This is a brief but true account of our experience. We are currently seeking legal action and willing to hear any suggestions or replys.

Wish us luck,

Jakie Rios
Whittier, California

Comments

18th of Jan, 2008

The almost exact same thing happened to us at the Grand Mayan in Cancun. Only they didn't even give us the 3 day cool off period. Told us we were purchasing a resale unit so there was no cool off period. We went back to return the contract 2 days later they had security escort us from the property and threatened to have us thrown in Mexican jail for tresspass.

Even worse no response from Mexican Consumer Protection (Profeco) and my credit card company Bank of America wouldn't return the money they charged even though I called them with in 48 hours of the transaction.

• Ro
      29th of Apr, 2008

did you have any dealings with Regal Sales and Resales. Our entire experience with the timeshare presentations and then with Regal when we did not buy were anything but pleasant or satisfactory. We have never had this kind of treatment before. I do not know about the entire companies involved, I am speaking about the representatives at the Mayan Nuevo Vallarta.

6th of Jun, 2013

Mayan Palace sales tactics are hardcore and they will tell you anything you want to hear to get you into the contract and keep you in contract with them, and dealing with Mayan Palace after the purchase of your timeshare can be a little frustrated. Especially because customer service won’t get you the answers you expect to get when it comes on how to use your timeshare or trying to book your next vacations, lucky if you are able to do book anything. You should read this article on how to get out of a Mayan Palace Timeshare Scam: