Mayan Palace Great Vacations Club / Feeling foolish and ripped off!

We were approached at the airport when we arrived and promised $400 in rewards if we went the "90 minute" presentation at the new Mayan Palace in San Jose Cabo . Said yes and the next day drove to the resort where the sales managers were the so rude it was unbelievable. The first manager called us liars and wanted to know why we were there if we already owned two time shares. (They invited us!) The sales lady was very polite but had a VERY poor product to show us.

When they brought in the closing managers, four of them one at time, they couldn't understand the word "NO". After three hours they finally let us go and we saw the exit manager who took down our comments. We told them about how rude the managers were and that was on reason we were not interested. When we were leaving my wife saw the manager take our comment sheet and wad it up. When she asked him about he admitted that he was throwing it away because is was negative and then told us to "get out and never come back" which we were very happy to do.

Comments

• Ag
      30th of Mar, 2007

Timeshare ownership is an investment in quality vacations. Purchasers who buy a timeshare strictly for speculative reasons are usually disappointed as the resale market for timeshares does not appreciate as well or as fast as other real estate investments. As an investment in YOURSELF and your leisure time, a carefully researched timeshare purchase can be a good investment when compared to the cost of renting alternative comparable accommodations.

15th of Jun, 2007

I totally disagree with your comment. I purchased at the Grand Mayan and i love it...

• Ti
      24th of Jul, 2007

We too were fraudulently scammed. We made such a mistake believing Mayan Resorts that the timeshare would pay for itself either by donating the weeks as tax write-offs or by renting the weeks out. We have disputed charges and are complaining to every consumer protection agency I can in both the US and in Mexico.

If anyone knows of an attorney that can help us, please respond via email.

• Jr
      10th of Dec, 2007

After being beat up at a timeshare presentation in mid October 2007 my wife and I got coerced into buying a GVC vacation package. I will not go into the details as everything that is said on all the other sites about the crooked company is true. We looked it up on the web right after we agreed to purchase and have been trying to cancel and get a refund ever since. We have made 3 request via email since this is one of their prescribed methods for communication and have not had a reply message yet. I have asked American Express to not honor the charge. Here is a link to some info that is all true:

Whatever you do not fall victim to the sales slim that works for this company.

• Ju
      2nd of Jan, 2008

We paid $2000 for GVC and were told we had 4 years to use it. I told them that was good because I would not be able to use it in 2008 due to my work schedule. We bought it in Dec of 2006. When I read the fine print latter I saw that it was only for 2 years and would cost me an additional $399 to get it renewed for 2 more years.I told them there was no way I could use 11 weeks in 2 years let alone 1year. I tried to get out of it when I was down there but they said I would loose the $2000 and didn't have to use it. I called the phone # they gave me in Houston ,TX when I got back but they told me I had to talk to the manager in Acapulco. I called him several times about the paper work the salesman wrote up showing it was 4years and faxed it to GVC. They said that didn't matter because I had initial were it said 2 years. When I did the initialing the saleman told me that what I was initialing was every thing he told me and he was in a hurry because they were closing for the day.What a mistake that was. When I call for places to stay they either are not available or cost double of what I was told.

• Ur
      14th of Jan, 2008

Talking about dummies, my husband and I spent a week at the Mayan Seagarden in Mazatlan and got "suckerd" into buying a 5 year membership at GVC for $ 5000,. All sounded good at the presantation, because we are seniors and the price was reasonable for what we got, untill we received the documentation. I called the Houston office for more info or a book and complaint about not beeing able to find anything not all-inclusive and was very rudely advised to go on the internet for info. When I wrote a reg. letter asking for our money back, they had the sales rep. from Mazatlan call and ask why we wanted out. Since than I wrote another letter, contacted the Attn. Generals office in my state who contacted the Att. Gen. office in Texas,because they did not get a response and were not able to reach them by phone. This is going on now since May 2007 and I wonder if we ever get our moneys worth.

• Ke
      26th of Feb, 2008

Christmas 2007, we got suckered in to buying a package. When arriving home, I googled the company and my heart sank. I was ripped off.

I took advise from this web page and others. I contacted the company and told the rep that I was cancelling my package. When asked why, I told them the truth, they are nothing but a scam and I will stop at nothing to get my money back.

I then sent an email to the company and the rep I bought it from. I told them the same thing. I also told them the date on the contract was wrong because the five days to cancel are 5 working days, not calendar days. I hinted that I started a file with the credit card company, drafted a letter to the Mexican consumer Department and how with internet, I could reach virtually millions of people. I also hinted that I would also start a campaign against the hotel for allowing this to happen there.

It was actually the 6th working day after I signed the contract. I did not expect to get my money back. Without any correspondance, my credit card was credited the $6000 I paid.

I think I was very lucky. Good luck to everyone else getting there money back.

• Di
      27th of Jul, 2008

we attented a sales presentation at the mayan palace on 7-17-2008 it is amazing that people falling for there presentation. sales people are very badly trained. managers are very rude and low class products of there profession. just stay away

• He
      2nd of Dec, 2009

I agree. The salespeople there are completely ruthless. I was totally bullied into purchasing, and then when I went to cancel within the 5 day period, they wouldn't acknowledge me. I've never felt so helpless in my life. We finally had to hire help because we weren't able to get anywhere by ourselves. You should visit www.timesharescam.com if you need to cancel your contract. They were able to get my money back for me and I didn't have to pay anything in advance.

• Ke
      10th of Oct, 2010

We had a similar experience at the Mayan Palace in Cancun. It was worse than buying a car. We sat thru 5 salespeople and a "manager". Each time we told them we were not interested in the $40, 000 studio vacation time share. What a rip off! And then it was pouring rain. When I finally got upset and said I just wanted to leave and stood up.
    I started to walk away. It was over 3 hours into this disortation. We were promised a 90 minute tour. We were pushed out the back door into the rain and forced to walk thru the resort to the parking lot...we could not find our car. This was the worst experience I have ever had. The salesperson BLEDI was very rude when he found out we were not going to buy. Don't fall for the free stuff...it is not worth wasting an entire day of your vacation!

• To
      11th of Feb, 2011

no way he was the best sales man i have ever see but you are so cheap so some how he was not rude becouse you did not buy but you always do that go in the resort for the gifts only so he want to make sure you want do that again

17th of Apr, 2013

At least you didn't end up buying a timeshare from them! Mayan Palace sales tactics are hardcore and they will tell you anything you want to hear to get you into the contract and keep you in contract with them. It is too common for the sales representative to offer you an upgrade if you already own a timeshare with them. I recommend you all to read this article on how most of the mayan palace timeshare scams are being committed:

15th of Mar, 2016

I also had a horrible experience with them. I've purchased my timeshare 3 years ago, and it's been impossible to get out. I was pressured to sign a contract, and i was also scammed, they never did what they promised. We must do whatever it's in our hands to put finish to those thieves!!!
    I was looking for some information about this resort and all their scam tactics, and i've found these articles that have a lot of info
    about them, take a look: