Mattress Warehouse / no refunds/limit 3 exchanges Defects

1 1245 New Churchman's Rd.Newark, DE, United States Review updated:
Phone: 3026811485

To: Mattress Warehouse (President)
From: Brenda Hall
Date: March 24, 2010
Re: 3rd Mattress replacement

I write this letter out of pure frustration and yet no satisfaction to my concerns. Here are the facts concerning my situation.

1. On November 11, 2007, I purchased a Serta Perfect Day Celebration firm mattress for $1999.99. On my invoice number 10360 it shows that the frame and foundation was included in the price. I purchased it from Mattress Warehouse, 1245 New Churchman’s Rd. Newark, DE 19702.

2. This mattress was delivered to me on March 25, 2008 after we moved back into our home after experiencing a house fire.

3. This new mattress began sagging, and then on top of it, the body imprints became a major problem. I am handicapped and disabled that requires that I a have high quality mattress.

4. I thought that I was obtaining that “High Quality” through your company’s, Mattress Warehouse and Serta.

5. On September 4, 2008, Mattress Warehouse then offered an 2nd exchange mattress and my approval number is VA-1003.Please be mindful that this is only 6 months from the time I received my first mattress

6. The second (exchange) replacement mattress that I obtained was the Serta Tranquil Nights Knightdale. It was obtained on September 16, 2008, from the Mattress Warehouse located at 1257 Quintilio Dr. Bear, DE 19701.

7. There are no amounts listed on Invoice number 10306 that would indicate how much the value of each newly exchanged mattress was.

8. I then had to pay $ 65 .00 for delivery.

9. Here I am again, 1 year and 5 months later exchanging now my “third” SERTA mattress replacement request. How many times must I endure the same torture over and over again?

10. It was very hard trying to obtain a phone number as well as trying to speak with a live customer service representative. On February 18th, 2010, I finally spoke to a district manager who emailed the supervisor of customer service named Aaron. Aaron then faxed me paperwork and I then faxed all pages back to Aaron on the same day.

11. Then on March 1, 2010 R.Clark came out and measured the mattress and found that was defective.

12. I Spoke to Aaron again on March 16, 2010. He then faxed me a letter dated March 3rd, 2010 showing that Mattress Warehouse gave me another approval number of MM-5568 to pick a 3rd mattress and another delivery charge fee of $65.00.

13. I went to your store again in Newark, DE and spoke to the manager (Joe).He showed me a piece of paper showing that he had documented my complaint and the date on it was [protected].

14. I explained my situation concerning the mattresses and requested a refund. According to Joe, who called a Paul (district manager), who stated that a refund could not be made, only an exchange. Joe then stated that I would have to pick out another Serta mattress and would only have to pay another delivery charge of $65.00. I asked since I have been through this so many times with Serta mattress. Was it possible that I could pick another brand without paying anymore monies out of my pocket? Joe then laughed and advised me that if I did, I would have to buy a new box spring which could cost me about another $800.00 to $1, 000.00 more out of my pocket. Then he stated that if I get a Simmons mattress and kept the Serta box spring it would void any warranty that would ordinarily come with it. I also spoke to a Paul Montemurno District Manager who seemed as though this was a big joke, very sarcastic and rude. He only added fuel to the fire.

15. March 22, 2010 I spoke to a Brent Gibson from Serta Mattress who stated that the total liability of my situation relied totally on Mattress Warehouse.

My position in this matter is:

1. This is my 3rd (exchange) replacement mattress of the same maker (Serta).
2. It is my contention that this makers designs, does not contour to my stature. Even though your employees stated that it would after looking at me.
3. I should not have to pay any more monies in this matter. So far I have paid your company $2064.99. This includes $1999.99 first mattress and $65.00 for the second mattress delivery.
4. Now you are talking about another $800.00 to $1, 000.00 more to switch to a different brand name, plus $65.00 for delivery again and God only knows what a box spring is going to cost me. That equals $2929.00 plus.

5. Since I have received 2 defective mattresses thus far and they were top of the line mattresses. I feel that they did not meet my needs. In trying not to complain again about the mattresses. I tried several ways to save these mattresses. I brought a memory foam which cost me an extra $125.00.Then I tried a pillow top that cost me another 150.00. Now I am out of pocket another $275.00 which brings my total thus far to $3204.00.
6. Since it took so long trying to contact and resolve this issue with your company, I had to replace the 2nd mattress with a 3rd one, not from your company. This mattress cost me $699.00. This brings my out of pocket total to $3903.00.
7. On April 7, 2010, I called corporate headquarters and asked to be connected to John Ahern voice mail and still to this date I never received any corresponds or communication from him.
8. Since I was so fed up with this whole situation and the unnecessary, unfair treatment I have received thus far. I decided to protest at this store. Mattress Warehouse called the state Police and I was asked to vacate the premises and I did. This happened on April 8th, 2010.Also be mindful that Joe the store manager, thought this was a joke and kept on laughing.

9. On April 15, 2010 around 10:am I arrived at the Newark store to place an order for my 3rd mattress .In which Mattress Warehouse only gave me 30 days to do this per there request. I feel as though I was forced into this position. I (wrote) & signed the contract under stress and protest. About 4 to 5 pm my husband received a call stating that they wanted me to come back and fill out another contract or the other one would be voided. I am not well enough and could not do is again. The associate (Fred) called and faxed Joe and Paul several time while I was there and it seemed not to be a problem.
10. Then Fred pulled out the same complaint paper that I saw the other day, BUT on this day I noticed that a “Monkey” was drawn on the same complaint paper.
11. Then to add insult to injury, I feel that this is a clear case of racial discrimination and harassment. This has caused me sleepless nights, panic attacks and depression.

Am requesting that your company review my claims again and let’s try to resolve this matter in an expodiuosly and fair way. I placed a special order when I placed my first order, ” customer will call in 1-3 months to schedule delivery, ” as per your store requirements. I am also requesting a full refund of all my monies put out. Plus I want $13, 000.00 more for racial discrimination and aggravating my severe health issues. Then court cost and attorney fees if any. I am requesting $15, 000.00 for all that this company has put me through!

Also, since I have received 2 defective mattresses thus far, and am now picking my 3rd mattress, it seems to me that Mattress Warehouse VOIDED the warranty and not me. What ever happened to the fact or concept that the customer is always right?

Remember that your company’s repetition is on the line and you run the risk of loosing many customers. $15, 000.00 is a drop in the bucket for your prejudice company.

Question: If you brought 2 lemon cars and they would not run, would you go back to that same dealership and by a 3rd one?

Comments

28th of Apr, 2010

Brenda I am in the same boat as you are with Mattress Warehouse. I had purchased there Simmons Full-size Whitehaven pillowtop on 9/7/09. On 10/31/09 I submitted my first claim for a defective mattress. I had recieved the same mattress for exchange..On 1/6/10 the 2nd mattress was defective. Had enough of the pillowtop ..Had got the Simmons NXG250 plush mattress with the memory foam(had to pay $800.00 more). Come to find out I put in a defective claim on 4/13/10 for the NXG mattress and on 4/27/10 I recieved my claim form for the mattress being defective...Can not get a hold of the store district manager at all...Do you have any numbers to the people above the district [email protected]

26th of May, 2011

Im having the same exact problem and more, I purchased the mattress cover for 90$ and the mattress still got soiled when my kids spilled some juice go figure.Worst mattress buying experience ever I know what to look for in the future when buying a mattress .I think there all refurbished!

6th of Nov, 2015

I'm also in the same situation and you are correct when you say that you cannot contact anyone who can make decisions. I'm furious as well, but I'm giving up and taking the replacement because I can't sleep on a broken box spring. I have been arguing with them for 3 weeks, so I understand your frustrations. I've contacted BBB to file a complaint, but Mattress Warehouse is just a bunch of unethical money-grub era, who laugh at their customers whenever there is a complaint. I'll never spend even a dime at their stores or any affiliated company.