Mattress Firm / poor customer service

Mattress Firm
My wife and I went into the Mattress Firm looking for the least expensive Twin mattress set. The sales rep Jaime, showed us the stock mattresses. The cheapest mattress had absolutly no padding and cost $179. The next cheapest cost $238. They seemed a little pricey. I told Jaime that we wanted to go look around at a couple of stores to compare quality. Jaime said they had the best quality. Then continued to offer a "deal". He stated he would try to get a friend and family discount for us. I said I would still like to look around, and would maybe be back if I could still get that deal. Jaime said that if I left he didn't think he could get the deal. (seemed a little fishy) So we let him call, of course he got the discount. It did save approx $40 off their normal price. So we decided to buy. We spent $220 after taxes. On the receipt, it stated they had a 110% low price guarantee. So I decided to continue to shop right after we left. I found and advertised price with Big Lots for a Serta Arrington twin SET, both mattress and box, for $109.99. I called up Jaime to let him know. He said there is no way that it is as good quality as the mattress that we had already picked out. He went on the internet to the Big Lot website, and saw the ad. When he called back he offered to give us the "el cheap-o" for the Big Lot price. I became very frustrated with this, because their receipt said 110% refund. Then Jaime asked about the warranty. The Big Lot assistant manager Chris in Auburndale, said there was a manufactors warranty, but nothing else. I asked Jaime if he knew what warranty that would be. He said no. But that the mattress at Mattress Firm was a 1 year. I figured that the warranty was at least that. Jaime then wanted to speak to Chris from Big Lots. Chris pleasently agreed to on my cell. We of course canceled the purchase with Mattress Firm, and got the Big Lots mattress. Thanks but no thanks to Mattress Firm for their OVER-PRICED help!

D  18th of Feb, 2009 by
Ok maybe you should have shopped before buying. I'm not trying to be rude but you would have avoided all of that if you just did what you said you were going to do and just shopped. They by the way are just doing their jobs. When they said you can get the deal now not later it's called trying to close you. There's nothing fishy or strange about it. If you have been in sales in your life then you might understand that. By the way they will give you 110% of the difference on a compparable set. Big Lots does have some great prices on mattresses but you have to look at where your shopping... Mattress Firm is a very large company. They are a mattress retailer. Big Lots deals in close outs and products other compaies sell to them at an extremly good price. They are a good company, I'm sorry you had a bad time.
D  24th of Feb, 2009 by
It's not a 110% refund.
Mattress Firm's contract that I'm sure you signed, since they make everyone sign it upon purchase, clearly states that if you find a COMPARABLE mattress (meaning it has to have a similar coil unit and materials used) for a lesser price then you are entitled to a refund of 110% of the price difference. So, if you bought a mattress at Mattress Firm for $200, and then found the exact same mattress or something VERY similar somewhere else for $150, you would be refunded $55. ($5 is 10% of the price difference of $50.)
You should really not sign anything if you don't understand it, or complain about it for that matter. It gives the company a bad reputation simply because of an ignorant consumer.
N  10th of Aug, 2009 by
Okay, you've gotten it off your chest. Feel better?

Now go on and stop worrying about this. Both Mattress Firm and Big Lots are good companies. Pricing is not always the same at all stores for various reasons. Mattress Firm specializes in MATTRESSES. They also provide more service for the money. Sounds like the sales person was pretty slick; there was no reason why you had to bow to his pressure. This says more about your weakness than about his salesmanship.

IMO (that means "in my opinion" in Internets Talk, ) the Serta brand ain't what it used to be. You want a cheap mattress, you're gonna get a cheap mattress. I would rather buy a decent mattress like Tempur Pedic, which will do wonders for you. Try it, you'll like it.

Mattress Firm Logo Mattress Firm