Match.com / fraud

United States Review updated:

I signed up for match and then turned off auto renewal as an option on my account settings. However they still billed my credit card. They refuse to credit my money back even though u made it clear I no longer wanted the service. I was told they auto bill rather you select it or not!!! Then why is it an option ????
Please do not use this website! It is a rip off!!!

Ms

Comments

Oct 13, 2008

taking money out of my acount unauthorized as i canciled my subscripsion amonth ago with them.

• Ke
      Oct 30, 2008

DO NOT USE THIS SERVICE... THESE PEOPLE RENEW SUBSCRIPTION AUTOMATICALLY...UNLIKE OTHER WEBSITE.. ITS FRAUD SERVICE.

Do not give Match.com your credit card number. They will auto-renew your subscription without notification or authorization or advance warning. Once they get your money they will not refund the charge and it is nearly impossible to find a representative of Match.com that is responsible for fraudulent credit card charges. If you try to call a representative live on the phone be prepared to wait on hold for a long time and listen to their endless commercial about how great their service (the service you're trying to stop) is. Eventually you'll be connected with a zombie who will tell you that she cannot access your account and that you'll have to contact the "executive committee" via e-mail. That's a hard link to find but if you keep tying you'll eventually find that buried in their website somewhere. Then you wait a few more days. All-in-all, Match.com is little more than another e-scam and not worth the effort. I'll let you all know if I ever get my money back; but it doesn't look good !

• My
      Jun 30, 2009

They put the wrong person's picture to my profile and are refusing to refund the money they so happily charged me. The lady in the attached picture isn't me, looks nothing like me, and I think the whole thing is a SCAM!!!

• Do
      Sep 26, 2009

I closed my account with Match.com almost 3 years ago (after I met my wife) and asked that they remove my profile.
    They have not removed it and it still appears active even though I have not logged-in for years. However, women are still trying to contact me through them (or so they claim in emails they keep sending me). These women must feel bad because it would appear to them that I ignore/reject them. But the fact is that I cannot see nor respond to them without paying Match.com...
    My wife does not appreciate having my profile and photo on Match.com. Nor do I, and I am sure that the women who are fooled by it do not appreciate it either.

By keeping my profile active against my will they make it seem that they have more selection than they actually do. This is fraud.

Attempts to contact them to remove the profile were ignored repeatedly.

Jan 12, 2010

BEWARE!
    I just got back from the Kirkland police department, assisting a friend in filing a report after being scammed over 65k from a "match" that she made on this site in November (2009).
    The guy claimed that he is from a nearby city in Nigeria on business. He spent a month before his "business trip" luring the lonely woman in & when the "trip" took place, all sorts of "bad things" befell him. This included an international credit card that supposedly did not work, an auto accident that required paid medical expenses, & need of a laptop to be shipped to him.
    Her life savings is gone, & there is about 20k worth of cash advances for her to pay.
    Match.com offers no easy way to contact them to report this in a timely manner. The information is needed immediatly to get the secret service on track, but no luck there.

• Co
      Jan 24, 2010

very sorry to hear about your friend. unfortunately this happens online a lot (not only on match.com but anywhere you are meeting strangers). scammers take advantage of ones loneliness . you can look up match.com's customer service number online, although you may not be happy with their response ("we're very sorry to hear this, we will send this over to our fraud team") just as i was not happy with that response when this occurred to me.

i suggest you contact the fbi directly and give them any information you may have (names, phone numbers, money order tracking numbers, addresses, emails, etc.) from the scammer.

a good reason to contact match.com however, is to provide them with the scammers profile so that no other individuals fall prey to their scam

remember, it would be quite costly for ANY website to run full background checks on their members to assure that scammers are kept out. it is possible, but economically unfeasible.

lesson to be learned- NEVER SEND MONEY TO ANYONE YOU MEET ONLINE

• Ad
      Aug 09, 2010

I know this guy by the name of MORIS WILLIAMS, who claims his wife passed away 5 years ago, while give birth to his second child and he has one son who is 11 years old. He claims he has one fashion shop in UK, Stratford - MOWILL FASHION SHOP. And having two cars. He emailed me from match.com. and from there we chatted at yahoo or msn.
    He always claims his webcam spoilt and cannot let me see his face, but he always send me some modellish photos that i do doubt he the person.
    He is holding an UK line that starts with +4470, that i later found out this is international call divert. But i have doubt on him. Still i give him chance to be friend.
    Thing goes to peak when he said he is bring his son to Benin, Nigeria to get his goods. That i feel so weird. Then after that, he was involved in a robbery that he and his son lost his passport. But somehow he managed to clear that and go back to UK.
    But since then his UK line always has nigerian song ring tone, that really trigger my doubts to him. But i remain silent.
    Two weeks ago, he told me that he has to go back to benin to get his container back to UK. The day of his departure from benin back to Lagos, he still tell me that he is still one hour away from Lagos. Then there is totally no news about him.
    I tried to call him, both his nigeria and UK line -but it does not get through, until few days ago. Someone claims that he is being kidnapped. And only let Moris talk 2 sentences to me. And tell me to pay ransom. Of course, I didn't do so. But I email to UK high comm. In Nigeria. And I also file a request to nigeria Police.
    I hereby alert all the girls on this. Attached is how the fraud people using this pretty photos to cheat.
    And just be aware, this fraud fellow does not able to differentiate live and leave, this is his typical typo. So when he mimic his son, his son has the same typo. And he will tell his dad is italian, he worked in greece as construction supervisor, then he is now taking over his dad shop in UK. And he is quite good in dress designing...very interesting story line...but be aware, they are asking for money, the ransom they ask me to pay is 20k usd! Then interesting part, is they din call for ransom, they wait you to call to ask for ransom from you...
    And MORIS's birthday is 11 dec. And he claims he stays at 42 lympslone garden, peckham, stratford.

• Mo
      Aug 31, 2010

yall took my money and i cant even log in and its been almost three weeks already

• El
      Feb 17, 2011

I man I met on match.com in mid January is part of an on line dating fraud. His name posted is Caleb Smith from Newtown, PA He told me he was on business in Ghana West Africa and would be back in the states in 3 week.s
    We were emailing everyday almost. He appeared to be sincere and charming. He had lost his luggage on his
    flight so he ordered some clothes from Dillards in CA and asked me to send them to him after he had them sent to my home address. Unfortunately I did do that. now he is telling me he had to have emergency surgery there
    and asked me to wire him $1000.00 for his hospital bill and medication. My story is very similar to other fraud stories I have read on line.

•   Apr 26, 2011

Match.com ia a fraud, they will steal your money
    They don't answer my last email now that they have my money,
    they approved of my profile more then ten times.
    and then through me out with a one word explanation, and refuse to give me my money back, Wow Has stealing from people on SS become a way of life for them?
    what do they tell your kids when they ask what they do?
    o we steal from old people on SS why?? yes I'll teach you how to do this some day.
    well I'll see you in small clams court; if this rape charge an other that will faller doesn't do you in
    I feel good about myself. life is good for me even though their are people like you around stealing from us.
    i would join a class action suit in a secant, good buy Yahoo, you will never get another cent from me.
    Occie Gilliam see i sign my full name cause i have nothing to hide.

• Mi
      Jul 05, 2011

what?! you need to pay to find a date!! my sis takes her dog out for a walk and guys hit on her all the time!!! buy a dog and forget about those jerks on the dating sites. the creeps are all liars anyway!

• Ke
      Jul 07, 2011

If you believe that the company has defrauded you, you should consider all options including but not limited to retaining an attorney, whose practice is in consumer protection law. In most of these cases and depending on the attorney's practice, it is on a contingent basis.

KMD Law Office, Chicago Lawyer