Match.com / abused subscriber

US Review updated:

Match.com does not disclose which members can read emails and which ones can't. As a paying subscriber I waste a lot of time reading profiles and sending emails to people who are not paying subscribers and can not open the email that I send to them. Match.com does this hoping that the non paying members who receive an email will then become a paying subscriber. In others words Match.com is using there paying subscribers to entice non paying subscribers to become paying subscribers so that they can read the email that they receive.

Comments

Jan 04, 2008
    Match.com - the biggest problem
    www.match.com

Only paying members can respond to other paying members emails, yet you have no way of knowing if the person you are emailing is a paying member. I believe the truth to be that most people are not paying members. They post a profile out of curiosity, but would not actually fork over the $35. In the used car business, they're called "tire kickers". but as I said, you have no way of knowing if they're even capable of responding to you. To make things worse, they "protect your identity" by masking any contact information you may include in an email. This only serves to ensure that both parties must pay to play. My advice? Put on a clean shirt, brush your teeth and go snag your princess the old fashioned way.

• Cc
      Mar 10, 2008

I think this whole deal is a scam. I was offered 6 months for $24+ and another 6 months free if I didn't find my "true love"! All of a sudden I find a charge for $101.94. When I call they say I didn't email enough potentials. I don't remember that being a requirement. Why would i email anyone with whom i had nothing in common. I did not receive one email from anyone. I agree that I think these people aren't even members. SCAM SCAM SCAM!

Mar 30, 2008
    Match.com - violating user privacy
    not provided
    no idea
    Phone: not provided
    www.match.com

Match.com makes money violating people's privacy by listing people who have asked to be taken off the serice - it appears that match.com keeps users listed - and their profiles visible via rim's blackberry devices - in an attempt to boost the apparent number of subscribers. My girlfriend of 3 months broke up with me while she was away on vacation, because she looked up my profile on her blackberry and saw that it was back up. I tried the same exercise on my blackberry and sure enough - up came my profile, even though my subscription is inactive and I had checked the box "keep my profile hidden". As you know, trust is an important concept in any relationship. Many people who have met on match.com check up on partners to see if they have, in fact, stayed off the site since they have met. And I tell you from personal experience - it can be a very touch area. I have relied on match.com, as a customer of theirs, to respect my privacy and allow me to control when my profile is and is not 'active'.

Match.com has violated my privacy and cost me a valued friendship by continuing to keep my profile visible to blackberry users in an attempt to boost the number of apparent users of their system. This is simply outrageous!! While the profile is hidden to normal computer users, it is kept turned on for users accessing the site via their blackberries. An email to match.com - they do not provide a phone number - has not been responded to!!

• Jg
      Aug 22, 2008

Same thing happened to me. My husband & I cancelled our old Match subscriptions together, but mine showed up again months later - and not just via Blackberry. Of course I couldn't explain it, and customer service won't respond. They are truly terrible.

• Be
      Jul 17, 2009
    Match.com - singles interested
    match.com and singlesnet
    Farmington
    Minnesota

They sent me an e-mail claiming that someone was interested but they are doing this in an effort to try and sign me up for paid service. Very dishonest and manipulative.

• Ki
      Jul 20, 2009

This is happening to me right now. they keep saying my profile is active though I have not logged in in months. This is beyond absurd. Mine showed up not on a Blackberry but on the full website. This also has happened to a friend of mine and her friend. Even after e-mail setting have been turned off for months they continue to spam my e-mail account.

• Iw
      Aug 29, 2009
    Match.com - unauthorized/unverified charge
    match.com

I went online to cancel my regular one month membership of $39.99 a month, and on the cancellation screen one of the questions asked for the reason for my cancellation. After the checking the box stating that the site was too expensive, a follow up section appeared, asking if I would stay with Match if the price were cheaper. I thought that was an overall good idea, still fully intending to cancel my service and pressing the "Continue Cancellation" button. Lo and behold, the screen flashed once quickly and then again, finally resting on a page that said I had been given a 3month membership for the price of one! I had not verified this charge at all but it immediately posted to my checking account! Needless to say, I became even more incensed when they emailed me, congratulating me on my renewal and advising me that to get a refund, I have to send a certified letter with return receipt within 3 business day!! I have to spend more money to get back the money i never okay'd them to take...

Don't go to Match.com. They only want your money and have shown themselves to have questionable business practices.

Sep 10, 2009

beware of the guys who say they are from the united states but are in nigeria doing contract work...they give you VERY long and sad messages and then put their (supposedly) son on and he starts calling you mom and it's his birthday coming up and could you please send him a playstaion3..but the the (dad) gets back on and says if you just send him the money he will buy it for him...BIG HUGE RED FLAG...and his name is Bobby Jones...what a scammer he is...doesn't care where you get the money...and keeps asking when are you going to send it..beware ladies he is out there looking for you. so right before i closed my acct with match.com i looked to see who had viewed my profile...sure wasn't him!!!beware of people from nigeria they are the biggest con artists i know

Sep 12, 2009

to add to this complaint i went to romancescams.com and found him he also goes by the name of jimkevin009 so beware ladies don't send this peice of sh-- any money he is a liar and a fraud

Sep 12, 2009

watch out for this nigerian loser as they say nothing good comes out of nigeria and believe me its the truth!!!

• 28
      Nov 24, 2009

I worked for Match.com, they don't send emails unless someone actually did view at your profile. It doesn't mean that the other member would have contacted you, it just means that someone expressed an interest in your profile. Hope it helps

Jan 11, 2010
    Match.com - being charged without knowledge
    Covina
    California
    Phone: [protected]
    match.com

I was charge a automatic renewel fee of 68.97. plus an overdraft fee of 35.00. when i had cancelled my acct., almost a yr ago. I do not think it is fair that i have to pay an overdraft when i never authorized the withdrawal or renewel ih the first place. I would not recommend match.com to anyone because of this abuse of innocent peoples money. My user acct i 6463801 and my email is [protected]@yahoo.com. I would like a refund of my 35.oo overdraft fee too. It is an criminal act that you guys do this.

• Br
      Feb 02, 2010
    Match.com - scammers
    match.com

I was on match.com for a few months and found a possible scammer reported it and called again to see if they had any information about this profile I had reported and said they weren't allowed to say, I asked for a refund or at least a partial, match.com said no since I have been on this site too long. I have to say I was most displeased with match.com out of a few other dating sites I have been on, match.com is the worst, I met a few yahoos and most contact I had made most do not respond.

• Br
      Feb 09, 2010

match 1.com are just the same they offer a 3 day free trial but in order for them to process your request they ask for your credit card number, why not ask for a driver's permit instead???? with the credit card # and their fine print which is almost the size of a novel they take the freedom of charging your account. one piece of advise call your credit card company advise them of the problem they all have a charge back division which can help you get rid of there unwanted charges

• Sc
      Feb 11, 2010
    Match.com - taken from a man I met for $6,000 who was not who he claimed to be...
    McHenry
    Illinois

I met a man on match.com who claimed he was from McHenry, the same as me, was an Industrail Engineer in England, and was there due to work related issues. About 2 weeks into meetiung him, he claimed he needed money to acces his bank loan that had been pre-approved at $750, 000. He had a Indian man working for him, that died on his site, and he needed to settle out of court, per his attorney, to make things right for this very poor family. He claimed he owed them$450, 000. He needed $30, 000 to pay fees to the bank, so he could acces the money to pay the family, and then come home to me..He was down to needing $5, 000. I said I did't have it...But he wouldn't take that for an answer. He said I was his last hope, and his olny hope left. If it were not for having met me, he would probably be dead...I reluctantly sent him $2, 500. And then after selling off jewelery and wiping out my saving account, I came up with $1, 750. He said at that point he had enough money to get home. After not hearing from him for a few days..He called me saying they took the $ 1750, and they were holding him in India...This was after he supposedly attended the deceased funeral.. Then a freind lent me $1000, which I sent hime too..
    After that, he never came home, but was now threatening me and my family with harm, if I didn't send him more money..
    I contacted my local police at this point and they said because it was Niageria, they could do nothing...I changed my bank account, because I given the information to him so he could supposedly deposit $30, 000 into my bank account. I also changed my home phone number and also my cell. And I also changed my e-mail, and blocked him from my yahoo account. I have not heard from himsince, so I am pretty sure he has moved onto his next victim...Is there anything I can do to get my money back...It was sent Western Union through a Currency Exchange...

• Ca
      Feb 21, 2010

Charge was not authorized.

Apr 12, 2010
    Match.com - they do not care and will not help
    match.com

This is the 2nd time I have been on match.com and I swear it will be my last, it has been the worse...I started my 3 mos subscription on May 27th, 2017, I was quickly charged $59.97...One of my first encounters was with a man who claimed he was a jeweler starting a new business 12 minutes from my home, he turned out to be a Scammer asking for money working out of Ghana..I also encountered 6 other scammers, 3 other men straight out asking for explicit sex...so what did I pay for..on July 5th I received an email stating my 3mos would soon be up and if I wanted to renew just ignore this email and my credit card would be automatically charged and if I did not, please cancel no so that my card would not be charged on August 27. I canceled, I received an email stating that my credit card would absolutely not be charged, on August 29th, I noticed on my Bank statement a charge from match.com for $59.97...There lame explanation is that I did not have the right to use the website until August 27th, that if I canceled in July I should have never gone back on, I reactivated it...I asked why they sent the email stating I was ok...same lame answer repeatedly..oh and try to get a US person on the Phone forget it...Everyone is in the Dominican..no offense..so if you can get thru the scammers and the credit card fraud, Good luck, but if you dont want to deal with their Fraudulent ways I suggest you cancel your credit card the minute after the first charge hits if you ever want to cancel, they keep charging even when you tell them no, and forget about getting back Bank FEEs...they dont care and will not help...noreason ever to go back on..thats my code name.

• Cl
      May 23, 2010
    Match.com - taking money
    Hayes
    United Kingdom
    Phone: [protected]

Hi
    It is far easier to join and pay money to Match.com than to cancel the subscription. And if you do not cancel they charge you MORE money. There is no 'contact us' or 'cancellation of membership. on their website. From the hundreds of complaints when you enter Match.com complaints and look at the websites they have taken £1, 000's of pounds people wish they had not taken, many without first notification of further payments to be taken like mine, which is against Unfair Trading Practices Act of 1999.
    Is there not a 'Body' that can control Match.com.
    Advice - IF YOU CANT CANCEL YOUR MEMBERSHIP, MAKE SURE YOU CHANGE YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER so they cant rob any more money from you, like as I am doing now.
    CH

Jun 30, 2010
    Match.com - cant get mail or on line with them
    Oregon

I have paid out 107 dollars to try this match.com site. But to my surprize that once they took my monany they stoped sending me prospecs to go online chats. Every time i go online and try to sygn in they send a pop up that says opps we have truble with your account. Now they are going to pay one way or another. I dont like to get riped off. I will notifie my Attorney and look at a law suit againstr them for froud. Mean while I will call my bank and stop all payments to match.com. If you dont want any of this gto happen contact me at [protected]. Thank you for your time.

Jun 30, 2010

I think that it suck for pepole to advertise that they can help your love life and then they prey on you . They still your mony and they treat you like crap afdter you pay them. If i was able to call them or go therfe i would definitaly whant to kick there ### for all of those that thedy have ripped of.

• Wa
      Mar 20, 2011
    Match.com - cncld sub.via their site and card still charged
    www.Match.com

Be aware that the cancellation link inbedded in Match.com's page labeled "cancel/resign subscription" ironically does not always operate. The verbiage goes on to say- "you may continue to use " your subscription until the expiration date. And of course I did, however, it was 3/17/11 and I realized- why is the account still active? Match.com states the responsibility falls to the consumer. So the only way I see the consumer would have control over NOT being automatically charged is to no use the Match.com site. This has happened to me more than once-you'd think I'd learn!

• Lz
      Mar 31, 2011
    Match.com - fraudulent practices
    Match.com

As apparently has happened to thousands of other users, match.com continued to bill my account after I had completed what I thought was the termination process. When I finally reach a billing person by phone, they checked my records and insisted I had sent emails after I attempted to terminate the service. It turns out that when I responded to a person sending emails from a talkmatch.com address it was actually going through their service and thus they maintained that I owed for the additional month.

When I asked how I could have know that they owned the talkmatch.com address, the supervisor walked me through a section of help screen, four levels deep, and there was the information. It was not information an average user would have found on their own (Or even know to look for).

From all the other complaints I have found on the web, it is clear that it is their policy to make it as difficult as possible to terminate service — to the point where it seem there is little doubt that match.com used fraudulent practices to be able continue to billing as long as possible and bring what I assume is tens of thousands of dollars using the internet.

• Jm
      Jun 01, 2011
    Match.com - match.com
    Texas

Warning everyone Match permanently keeps your profile and credit card information indefinately even though your profile maybe hidden they chose not to give you that option to take your information and delete it..I think it is a violation of privacy and I scream HIPPA...dont use them unless you want them to have access..and also back on 2017 scam artist approached me from nigeria asking for money..but here it is 2017 and they keep your personal information..

• Ga
      Aug 08, 2011
    Match.com - continual unauthorised card payments
    United Kingdom

HI, Match .com which I no longer subscribe to have also been taking unauthorised card payments from me for £19.99 on a monthly basis which I can ill afford, I have the same problem with zoosk and also had a the same problem with eHarmony however after sending an email to eHarmony threatening them with the the financial services Ombudsman they have apologised to me and are returning two unauthorised payments to my account . It is unfortunate that both zoosk and match.com are completely ignoring my requests, I send this email in the hope that once again you can help . Thank you Gayle Colquhoun

• Zh
      Aug 31, 2011

It is exactly what happen to me as well, except I went ahead and canceled my membership and still got charge!!!. when I tried calling I was told nothing can be done. I guess they are experts in charging without authorizations. What a scam!

• Di
      Nov 11, 2011
    Match.com - exploitation of my daughter
    Match.com

My ex husband has a match.com account - I don't have an issue with that, other than I pitty whoever will become his 5th ex wife... What I DO have an issue with is that he has our daughter's photo included in his photos, along with her geographical information & the school she attends. (Our daughter is now 18 years old, but I have had full custody since she was 7 years old, and have raised her without his help). She doesn't like the fact that her photo is on the site, but she is intimidated by him & scared to tell him to take it off the site. I contacted match.com... it's a DATING site - they have NO REASON whatsoever to approve of my daughter's photo & geographical info being added on there... but they tell me they can't remove it... Not being overly protective (maybe I am) but that is my baby's picture they're putting on there and - besides trying to pretend that he's being a "good daddy" the idiot is SHARING HER INFORMATION WITH SOME VERY SHADEY PEOPLE OUT IN DATING LAND!
    O

• Bu
      Nov 12, 2011

Have you gone to the police or contacted a lawyer?

If anything happens to your daughter, you can hold him and the website responsible.

You need to write two letters and send them certified. One to the father asking to remove the daughters information and another to the Match.com headquarters. They have 30 days to grant your request.

If after 30 days they have not complied, then you can go forward with legal action.

Let them know in the letters also, that if anything happens to your daughter, they WILL be held responsible and have legal proceedings brought against them.

In the mean time, I would print out all the information off the website, makes copies for legal reasons, and keep them in a safe place.

If your daughter doesnt carry a defensive item on her, then she needs too. I would suggest a small can of mace. They sell small ones that fit on keychains.

I would contact your local police to see what she can do to protect herself until you can get this all handled.

And yes, the website CAN remove any information they deem unnecessary, illegal, or threatening...they just are telling you "no" because they dont want to piss off the father and potentially lose him as a customer.

You might also contact the FBI internet division. They handle problems dealing the internet.
    Ask thier advice on your situation. If the FBI tells the site to remove that information, they HAVE too, otherwise they get fined and in some bad trouble.

• El
      Nov 12, 2011

You, or your daughter actually, would need to have an attorney contact them. Or follow legal advice how to contact them correctly.

To Match, without proper proof or authorization, it is you not their customer who is the nut. They cannot just take your word for it. Their customer says it is his photo, so he hasn't violated anything. The offended party has to contact them through the proper channels. That said, your grievance is with your ex, not Match.

• Da
      Nov 26, 2011
    Match.com - cancelling free subsciption
    personal
    Jacksonville
    North Carolina

I had called them yesterday too check up on who the heck had taken $ 19.95 from my account, & they said I had a free trial ! I agreed with them, but then asked them, why did you take $19.95 from my account, they came up with all kind of (excuse me please, B/S answers) !I spoke to Brian he told me that anything I would have purchased over the internet(bla, bla), I would have saved 70% on anything ! BOLOGNA !!! Anyway, I made sure that they cancelled me, (period, as far as I am concerned), & had them send me a fax, because I do not believe a word they say !They're phone # is [protected], so anybody would like to check up you protect yourself from this so called company, Please give them a call to make sure that you aren't on their list of being hunted !!!

• Mo
      Mar 04, 2012

join match.com 6 wks ago. I have call match twice telling them all I'm getting are scammers on there web site. people who's profile say there n Dallas, Austin or somewhere else local then when i start to talk to them they tell me they are in Nigeria Libya are some other foreign country and they have a list of thing they want me to send to them. Match will not refund my six month membership and say there nothing they can do. SO IF YOU JOIN MATCH YOU PAY TO GET SCAMMED

• Ve
      Nov 07, 2012
    Match.com - auto renew
    Upper Marlboro
    Maryland

I joined match.com in Sep 2017, cancelled my subscription after 3 months. Just found out today that they have been automatically renewing my account for the past year without my knowledge. I called to complain and they would only refund me for two months. They stated that I agreed to the auto-renew when I signed up. I told them that if I cancelled my subscription, why would I want to be auto-renewed. And if this was a legitimate charging practice, why didn't i get an e-receipt each time they charged my credit card?? All my other online creditors send you some type of notice or receipt when they pull money from your credit card or charge your account.

• Hu
      Jan 06, 2013

Match.com is a complete ripoff! Nothing there just scammers!!!

• Ph
      Apr 15, 2013

I want to know why i was unable to access my account after my subscription, Did you see any fraudulent act in my account? I need a reply to this comment on my mail... My match account use to be ella1000 and now i cant access it so please i will like to know the reason for that act.

• Ft
      May 24, 2014
    Match.com - theft
    Match
    Nyack
    New York

3 days, yes, match waited until the 3rd day to tell me my profile was not accepted? Why, I put my age at 99, why did I do that, for security reasons. Why did march wait until the 3rd day, simple, after 2 days you can not get your money back. I called citibank, and I have to go through hell to get 158bucks back, so I am closing my citibank account. I refuse to do business with a bank that does not stand behind their customers.
    Never join match.. This site is a scam from hell. It is unethical and deserves a class action suit.
    I will be calling the ftc and filing as many complaints as possible.

• Gr
      Jun 03, 2014
    Match.com - no permission
    Match.com

Match cares to take your money, but does not care for their customers. Understand that you forfeit your personal information once you give it to Match. I was told by agent 20740 that my information cannot be removed from the data base. It can only "disabled".
    Also, they will abuse your card info.
    I was with Match for over a year and when i did not need their services Match did not refund a withdraw on the 2 withdrawn on the 30. Note: they had no permission for automatic renewal. I am aware now, in small print to the side, it states all subscriptions automatically renewed. They want you to miss it, to take advatage.
    MATCH IS UNETHICAL, be ready.

• Fr
      Aug 17, 2014

I have the same problem. They trade on vunerabilities. They are the genuine evil, but don't expect the system to help you!

• Rd
      May 04, 2015
    Match.com - matches
    Boise
    Idaho

I find it interesting that some of "my matches" remain the same age year after year while I get older. I have asked for access to their secret because I too do not want to age but have not received an answer as of yet. I'm getting older by the minute and looking less pretty at the same time.
    Thanks.

• Ke
      May 28, 2015
    Match.com - can't login to my account
    Vancouver
    Washington

my name is kelvin josh and I registered match.com but I can't access my account anymore after I paid for one month so I can chat with people.. I need to know what happen.. My email is [protected]@yahoo.com Will look forward to resolving the problem for me ..

Thanks