Massage Envy / poor customer service

1 Surprise, AZ, United States Review updated:

Whatever you do, do NOT sign a membership with Massage Envy!!! Not only is their contract a GIANT pain to get out of, but when you do what they tell you, you STILL can't get out of it!

I was pregnant when I stupidly signed into getting massages, and having a heap of complications with my sciatic nerve, and carpal tunnel, etc, and my O.B advised me to get massage therapy. Well, I went in and got my massage for the initial $39 or watever it was, and got suckered into a contract.

Well after having a new baby, we figured that we couldn't afford it anymore, so I called in to ask what it would take to cancel my membership... The first lady told me it wouldn't take anything to cancel, that I could just do it, and have no consequence. We waited so I could get my last free massage, and then after that I tried to cancel... Well the lady at the desk said that I had to cancel where I signed up with it since I was at a different location, and said that I needed 30 days notice to cancel. Then we went to the original place where I signed the contract and yet another lady told me that I had to have a Dr's note, had to live outside a providing area (25 miles from a location), or would have to pay a fee. Well I had long since had the baby, and I had been having back problems and went to my doctor and they took an x-ray, and then an MRI. Not long after, I was told that I have 2 herniated disks, disk degeneration, and that my vertebrae are rubbing together. The doctor I saw was poking at my back in those spots, and it would either go numb or it would hurt super bad, so I was deemed "unmassageable", if you will, and got a note from her stating that I cannot receive massages anymore.

I took that note to Massage Envy, and about a month later received a call from the manager, who states that I need to pay off another month, and on top of that sign a paper (which in the contract it says NOTHING about this!!!). Well I haven't gone in to sign it (we're always super busy) and on top of that, since I haven't signed their precious paper, they keep charging me every month!!! I gave these jerks what they wanted... a freaking doctor's note... I'm just waiting for them to come after me with a lawsuit, stating that I owe them $250-$300...

If you've got half a wit, don't even THINK for a SECOND about signing a contract with them!

Comments

• Cr
      30th of Apr, 2009

I have been with Massage Envy for over a year, close to two years. I had to have a surgery, and then my brother passed away, then it was the holidays, then my job changed - anyway I was not able to use my prepaid massages. When it got to the point that I had seven prepaid massages, I went in to cancel my membership. They handed me the form for my signature - but I read the paper which stated that the next months fee would not be taken from my account, but I would LOSE my prepaids. If I stop paying the monthly fee - I become a non-active member and will not be allowed to get the massages that I have already paid for!!!

Also, after discussing this nonsense with some co-workers, I found out that among the six of us talking, five of us had memberships, but I was the only one paying $59/mon, everyone else was paying $39/mon on their contracts!! When I comfronted the manager about this I was told that this was not possible and I must be mistaken - but why would anyone lie about this. When I gave them the names of the others, they verified that a "mistake" had been made on their contracts and would be corrected.

15th of May, 2009

This would be the first and last time I visit this center in Miami, FL (Tamiami). I am used to a professional spa and masseuse. I do not feel comfortable having the therapist talk to me about personal details of what is going on in the office neither there personal life outside of work. I find this very unprofessional and the staff needs to get properly trained, educated, or terminated. I will not recommend this place ever.

• Bi
      13th of Aug, 2010

Worst cutomer service ever, hard to get out of contract, even after expired.

• Th
      30th of Sep, 2010

Ask for a copy of the agreement it is clearly stated that a 30 written request to canacel is required after the intial term of your aggreement has ended. Point it out to them and demand they honor the terms of the agreement.

• To
      7th of Dec, 2010

my ex girlfriend works at the altamonte springs location and said the same issues go on regularly with every client. Its a scam to get you frustrated in trying to cancel or get refund. No one will call you back ever. They say they cannot cancel when they can. They tell you they cancel then dont. Its the wait you out game so you will give up. They are franchised but sounds like a corporate game to me. She gave me so many stories especially one where the womans son died and they still did not refund the money. Its hard sell on contracts and they will tell you its easy to cancel but if you dont after 3 days you never will have any luck. they work on commision and they will be fired if they do no thit 15% attach rate. they get 850 and hour plus a tier bonus for 15% and so on according to their memberships. thats why its hard to get out once you sign it. thats why you dont get all the info up front. thats why you shouldnt give your credit card number as you will never be able to get out of the contract. if you move somewhere where there isnt a massage envy within a 25 mile radius you can opt out. and rates arent honored in other areas of the country of what you signed up in. plus if you miss your appointment and dont cancel youre charged. again your credit card will be charged.

23rd of Jan, 2011

I agree with you and I going to fight them. We are putting a protest march together next Saturday. PLEASE READ my post on Jan. 22, 2011 MASSAGE ENVY PROTEST MARCH!!! Thank you & good luck. Don't give up, get busy.

• I0
      1st of Feb, 2011

MASSAGE ENVY IS A RIP OFF! AT A REAL SPA YOU GET HOT TOWELS, AROMATHERAPY OF YOUR CHOICE, CANDLES, A WATERFALL, SHOWERS, AND A ROBE. MASSAGE ENVY OFFERS YOU NONE OF THIS UNLESS YOU PAY EXTRA, AND IF YOU DO PAY EXTRA IT'S NOT WORTH IT BECAUSE IT'S NOT A REAL SPA IT'S A [censor]ING MASSAGE CLINIC. NOTHING LUXURY ABOUT IT. YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, AND THEY HIRE ANYBODY WITH A MASSAGE LICENSE. THE FIRST TIME I WENT THEY GAVE ME A THERAPIST WHO JUST GOT FINISHED SMOKING A CIGARETTE, I HAD TO CANCEL THE MASSAGE AFTER THE FIRST 5 MINUTES BECAUSE THE SMELL WAS UNBEARABLE. TRIED A DIFFERENT LOCATION AND THE MASSAGE THERAPIST THERE WAS GOOD BUT I COULD HEAR EVERYTHING IN THE HALLWAY AND THE GIRLS AT THE FRONT DESK ANSWERING PHONES AND GREETING CLIENTS. IT WAS VERY NOISY. THAT DAY I ALSO FOUND OUT FROM THE THERAPIST HOW BAD THE PAY IS. I ASKED HER HOW MUCH DID THEY GET PAID TO WORK THERE CONSIDERING THAT THE PRICES WERE SO CHEAP, AND SHE TOLD ME 15 DOLLARS FOR EVERY MASSAGE. SHE ALSO TOLD ME THEY DO MASSAGES BACK TO BACK IN A ROW AND THAT SHE'S ALWAYS IN PAIN. SHE SAID SHE WANTED TO TAKE TIME OFF BUT HER MANAGER THREATENS HER WITH TERMINATION. 15 DOLLARS THAT'S A LITTLE RIDICULOUS. I'M DEFINITELY NOT SUPPORTING THAT.

• Mi
      17th of Dec, 2011

BEWARE OF MESSAGE ENVY IN SHORT HILLS, NEW JERSEY. I signed a contract with them on 10/21/10 for 1 year (expiring on 12/21/11) and for the first 4 months tried different therapists because I was unhappy with the quality of service. The messages were not relaxing because they were either too talkative or did not focus on my requested problem areas which is the left side of my body due to working on the computer for 8 to 10 hours a day. Finally, I got a therapist who focused on my request and I was pleased with her service although her assigned room was always cold and the heating mat on the message table was broken for months. After a couple of months I mentioned it to the therapist and she said that she had requested to the management to fix it, but they had done nothing about it. As I was walking out that day I mentioned to the manager that the room was too cold and makes it impossible to relax and enjoy the message. The manager's response was that the rooms are set to a normal temperature so the therapists are comfortable while they are working and that she was not aware of the broken heating pad. I said it had been broken for months and the manager made no comment. I was extremely dissatisfied about customer service from the manager. She was basically unresponsive to my comments. In June 2011, I found out that I might lose my job by the end of the year and my husband also found out in Aug 2011 that he was for sure losing his job. I called Message Envy and told them that due to financial difficulties I would have to cancel my contract. They said that I could not cancel until 12/21/11 and VERY CONVENIENTLY NEVER MENTIONED THAT I HAD TO SIGN A FORM 30DAYS BEFORE THE CANCELLATION DATE OR OTHERWISE THEY WOULD AUTOMATICALLY KEEP CHARGING MY CREDIT CARD. Ok, I continued to go, but never found any improvement in my problem areas (the left side of my back, arm and leg). In late Oct 2011, I went in person to their location in Short Hills to make my last two appointments of my membership (Nov and Dec) and told the girl at the front desk that I was not renewing my membership due to financial difficulties (my husband and I were at this point both unemployed). Her response was...well when you come in for your last appointment in Dec (which is was today Dec 17th) you can fill out the form to cancel. After my massage today I asked the girl at the front desk for the form and she informed me that I was going to be charge for Jan 2012 and I said why, my membership ends this month Dec, she said because you have to sign the form 30 DAYS BEFORE YOUR CANCELLATION DATE OTHERWISE YOU GET CHARGED FOR ANOTHER MONTH. My response was why was I not told about this before when I tired to cancel in Aug 2011 and just in Oct (two month prior) when I said I was not renewing my contract. The girl called the manger out to the front and the manager was very rude and said that this is their policy. I questioned why I was not told in Oct. If I was I would have signed it then. The manager said " I was willing to work you with but since you are getting so upset I will not waive the January charge. I told her that I was going to dispute it on my credit card so she asked me to leave the location because she did not want the other customers to hear what I was saying. I came home and looked up Message Envy main customer service phone # and it does not work. They are located in Arizona. I went back to the location in Short Hills because I realized that they never give me the cancellation form to sign before telling me to leave the location. I went back and the girl at the front desk was smirking at me while I was asking her to call the manager out from the back so I could get the form to sign. I asked for their names and they would not give it to me until another customer came in and only the manager gave me her name. I also wanted the name of the girl who was smirking at me, but they never gave it to me. BEWARE OF WHAT THEY SAID TO YOU, THEIR ONLY CONCERN IS TAKING YOUR MONEY, NOT YOUR HEALTH AND WELL BEING. THEY WILL LEAVE OUT IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO GET YOUR MONEY.

5th of Jun, 2014

Do not go to the Massage Envy in Eden Prairie, MN - I received a call on Sat 5/31 telling me my payment was going through. I informed her that I was not going to renew my membership. She informed me that I will have to complete a form when I come in. I asked her that this will be my last payment correct? She said yes, just come and fill out the form. I just received a call from the office confirming my cancellation notice and my last payment will be this month, June 30th. I completed the form on June 3rd and was told it has to be within 30 days - I explained to him that I was not told that when I specifically asked. All he said is he was sorry. What ###! I will never go back to this place!!!