Marshall's Department Store / Store did not handle an upset person!

1 Fayetteville, GA, United States Review updated:

I was in a Marshall's Department Store on Monday evening December 17 around 8:30 pm and was shopping when all of a sudden a black man age around 23 came from the back of the store yelling profanity of all kind. He would walk a little the stop and turn around and point to the back of the store yelling. I was not sure who he was or who he was yelling at. This went on for several minutes as he was approaching the front door. Several times he would stop and turn around and point , but was constantly yelling profanity. I was very nervous and wanted to get out of there. No one in the store did anything. I ask as I was leaving if the manager had called 911. The employee I spoke to played it down and said she really did not hear anything. I said"How could you have not hear it, he walked right by you". She was really not concerned. I would have felt a lot better just knowing that 911 had been called just in case he came back. He may have been an upset customer or an employee, I did not know. I do know that I will be very careful gong back in there. I spoke with another customer as I was walking out and she was upset, too. She was trying to get out quickly. Just no response was not accepted as a customer. Just asking like it did not happen did not make me feel safe and want to shop in there again.

Comments

Ja
  24th of Dec, 2007

I'm sorry for your experience. I have just been through two days of hell with Marshalls and dealing with a store manager and a regular checker. I can't remember the last time I was treated with such disrespect and lack of caring. I had gotten three gift cards through my bank. Each card had 100.00 on it. Sad thing is, it took my bank FOREVER to mail the cards out and I got them 4 days before Christmas. Anxious to get the cards due to the fact that my husband is out of work and counting on the Marshall cards to provide a few gifts for our four children, it was already a stressful situation. My daughter and I went yesterday to "shop it up". We loaded up a cart and decided to pay for what we had, go grab a bite and return to finish our shopping.. Well to cut it short, the cards wouldn't work and the 'one' store manager could have cared less. Her words were 'oh well, its a system problem and I don't mess with the system'... I knew I would have been wasting my time even explaining to her that what was laying on the counter was all my children would be getting this year. Not to mention her sidekick chimes in with 'oh yeah and we can only hold yo stuff until tonight'... I was shocked. I told them that I would sit in the front of the store until closing, expecting them to run those cards constantly until they went through. Luckily another store manager that worked there, who had a heart jumped in to help. She did everything she could to get those cards to work. We must have spent over an hour just trying to figure out how to get them to clear. We finally figured that the problem should be cleared up morning and she told me she would be happy to hold everything until the next day, unlike the other girl telling me they would only hold my things until that night. Well I got up early and headed back to the store and luckily the friendly store manager was there to help.. She went and got my items and rang them up and the system was still down and not allowing the purchase. Okay... I'm ready to cry and just then the rudeazz manager comes over to the register again saying, 'it ain't gonna happen' and to come back after Christmas. This is a store manager!!!!!! The other lady worked her butt off and refused to let me go until we got those cards to work. After her numerous calls to corporate and finally finding an email regarding the problem and taking those steps I got my purchase!!!!!! Bottom line... I have no clue how that one manager got her job, not to mention the other checker carried the same horrible attitude. I have to believe that the lady that helped me is the one that is carrying that store. Too bad for Marshalls because I've dropped some heavy money over the years and plan on taking my business to Ross from now on and will be making a personal phone call to Marshalls corporate. Unfortunatly I get the feeling they won't care.

Ni
  17th of Feb, 2008

What difference did it make about what color the man was yelling? How was that relevant to the fact that you just felt umcomfortable. If you felt unsafe you just felt unsafe, period. Or could it have been the fact that this just happened to be a black male?? Really racisits comment.

Ta
  28th of May, 2008

I was in the Marshalls Store at Balltown Road in Schenectady NY
last month when I overheard a man say, "F, , , , her and her vacation I terminated her today." When I asked one of the clerks who the man was I was told he was the store Manager.

I have been shopping at Marshalls for years and will never again
walk into one of their stores. If they can't figure out that they shouldn't have people running their stores that use profanities
in front of their customers while discussing X employees than
I can figure out that I don't need to shop in their stores.

An
  26th of Nov, 2008

had a horrible experience in Marshalls yesterday! I am a woman and there was a man standing in the woman's dressing room staring me in the face when i was leaving my stall!!! to top it off he is some kind of employee of Marshalls (security, prevention loss etc.). and he was so quiet walking in the room I couldn' t even hear him. I have no idea how long he was even in there! I was the only woman in the room at the time...SCARY AND NOT RIGHT, I am in the process of taking this up with corporate

Wi
  14th of Jan, 2009

Not trying to bust anyone's bubble but Marshalls does not care about these complaints and losing customers. I honestly know from experience. look at it like this, lose 1 but we gain 1, 000. so just get it over, there are crazy people out the with no sense at all and for the first person who post the complaint about you felt scared! really? no one drug you into marshalls and forced you to shop... and mainly all you all do is complaint so you can get something THERE for FREE!

Ma
  16th of May, 2009

I work at Marshalls out of ft wayne indiana, and have for a very long time. I work fitting room and do freights on monday and thursdays. I highly disagree with the last comment that was posted! I would hope and pray that you are not a marshalls associate. We treat our cumstomers with the upmost respect. It is all about the custumers, and they are never wrong. I can't believe the complaints that I have read from you all. It amazes me that the employees and managers from the other stores would do such a thing. Losing business is never a good thing, and for them to jepordize that and flaunt it is depressing. At our store, we love our customers and help every single one of them anyway possible. We have an amazing staff that would do absolutely anything to make sure our consumers are satisfied. I don't think we have ever had situations like what I have read from you guys, but I know that if we were ever put into any of those, our managers and staff would take care of you. With respect and the service that you expect and deserve. About the fiiting room, there is supossed to be an attenate in there at all times, and no men are allowed to even look into the womens section of the fitting room. I know that that is policy, and I would definately be taking that up with corperate. Employee are not, that is not permitted. I am very sorry to hear about the bad experiences that those Marshalls have given you, but I gaurentee that the Marshalls out of Ft. Wayne Indiana will help you in any way, and make sure you have a fun and enjoyable shopping experience. After all you wouldn't want to miss out on your "SHOPERTUNITY".

Fi
  25th of Jun, 2009

I am a Marshall's Associate in Texas. I agree with the other Associate, Marshall's cares about their customers. I do agree that there are some associates that don't care about their jobs. However, without the customers, Marshall's would close down and we would be out of a job. In orientation, we associates are told that Customer service is very important. Even if the customer is rude, we are to smile, be polite and try to help the customer out as best as we can. I work in the fitting room and have to follow procedures according to store policies. This is due to customers doing the switch the ticket game on garments or trying to get the five finger discount. Customers complaint about the procedures I have to follow and I kindly let them know it's my job, I have to follow rules. Hello, do they not have rules at their job?? So Shop on people and be nice. God Bless you all.

Ic
  3rd of Jul, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

Marshalls customer service is poor because they higher people who are willing to work to pay their bills. They live pay-check to pay-check and lack SERIOUS customer service. Most of them are simple highschool graduates who couldnt work hard enough to get a college degree. It is a sad reality and I cant stand people who are in denial of this truth.

Sa
  14th of Aug, 2009

why you dumping your problems onto marshalls? call your bank you loser, this isn't a marshalls issue, it's a loser customer issue!

De
  21st of Oct, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes

Devasha White
939e103rd st
brooklyn ny

Dear Marshall Corporation

Hello my name is Devasha White, and i am a Marshall for several months now, and with in the last three months i been getting horrible customer services . When every i go into the store i am dealing with attitude from the employee by the name Sharee who work the layaway department. I have spoken with the store manager by the name Jonna about her behavior she told me that she would talk to her about her behavior, but her attitude remain rude. I feel as a customer i should be treated with respect when i i am spending my money the store is locate at the gateway mall in the Brooklyn section of New York for further information i can be contact at Devashawhite@yahoo.com

Mr
  27th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I dont know where u people live, but im very sorry u had the experience that you did! Down here in Texas we aim to please our customers! Some of these Managers would not have a job if they worked here. There is some people that make up things about retailers if they dont get what they want. Some people complain just to get something for nothing! If u have never worked in retail, u just dont dont understand! Yes, there are really people who get treated bad by some retailers, but dont think for a second that all stores are like that. Some of us treat people the way we want to be treated if we were in a store spending our hard earnd money! Dont make us all look bad!

Thanks,
Marshalls in TEXAS!

Ra
  25th of Feb, 2010

Miss Palin,

Your accusations and perceptions of Marshalls employees are unexcusable. You stated in your complaint that Marshalls employees "are simple highschool students", when you can't even use the word "hire" right. I am an advocate for Marshalls employees, and I am in the process of receiving a Masters in Communication. First before you make comments about other educational backgrounds, maybe you should do some perception checking and accept that associates are chosen based on the required criteria of being examples and the faces of a high standard company. If you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, congratulations, but most people are not and have to work for the finer things in life. Maybe you should apply at your local Marshalls and you'll see that the culture of these stores makes the company. Best wishes to you and your silver spoon.