Mark's Sewer and Drain / Refused to unplug my sewer main and tried to bill me anyhow

1 243b Del Vina Ave.Monterey, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (831) 625-0404

On a Saturday about two weeks ago my sewer main plugged up inside the pipe headed out to the street. I called Mark's Sewer and Drain to have them bring out their snake and clear the simple clog.

When the guy got to my house he ran the snake for about 2 minutes before telling me that it wasn't a simple clog and would require about $1500 worth of repairs (to install a new clean out). He then refused to snake the line and clear out my drain. He then packed up and left.

I was irritated and smelled a scam so I called another plumber who came out and snaked the line and unclogged the line in about 15 minutes. They're prices were very reasonable (thanks Castroville Plumbing and Heating).

To my dismay, I got a bill from Mark's two days later for $150. I called and told them I didn't feel like I should be responsible for any bill because the guy refused to clear the drain. The guy from Mark's then called back and fed me some sob story about how he makes a percentage and not an hourly rate (which is illegal in california). He then went on and threatened to turn this over to "big Mark" and that "they would handle it that way", whatever the hell that means.

While I was relating this story to a friend he told me that at his business he had a sewer issue and he called Mark's Sewer and Drain as well. He told me they did the exact same thing to him! Refused to fix the issue unless he agreed to have thousands of dollars of other work done - and then charged him $300 for the visit! What a rip off!

I would avoid these guys if you live in the Monterey area.

Comments

• P8
      13th of Dec, 2008

Mark's sewer and drain is a complete joke.Mark is known to hire drug addicts and rejected plumbers that can't make it anywhere else.He's only in business because he has a few property management companies that use him because he's so cheap.He's barely hanging on and will soon be out of business.Nobody outside of property management uses him. As for his drug addict employees;Shane, Bart, Jeff, Fish, Terry, Ronnie, Jennifer(secretary on parole).

26th of Jul, 2010

Ive been using Marks for over 20 years as the rest of my family has. They are a family run company & take very good care of there customers. Just to say you can not make everyone happy even tho you try. I hope from this one comment it does not ruin your chance for you to have a great plumber - family man in your home.

• Bo
      10th of Dec, 2010

I have been on the Monterey Peninsula for over thirty years. I have used Mark's for my home, rental, and business since about 1990. I have always received prompt, reliable, professional and honest service on every occasion I have needed a plumber or a drain cleared. There have been a couple of times over the years that I wasn't totally satisfied with a job but I was treated fairly when I called back and whatever the issue I had was corrected for no additional charge normally and once I had to replace a sewer line that broken down but the repair was done quickly and reasonably priced. the sewer is still working fine by the way. I am surprised to read the comments above because I have always been happy with the quality of the work performed and the fairness I have experienced when dealing with Mark's. I haven't called anyone else since I first used them and don't see any reason I should not continue.

• Mi
      25th of Jun, 2012

I did not even get service from these people. I was walking my girlfriend and her "special" daughter to the car when a red headed man approached me and demanded that I give him my shirt which just so happens to be a shirt my friend left behind that I wear when I do work jobs. This shirt was his company plumbing shirt.So we have a stand off confrontation and he is demanding I take off my shirt or cut the patch off of my shirt. I do not know who this guy is but my girlfriend was getting scared when he asked for the knife from his friend so he can cut that patch right off my chest. I told him I am not removing my shirt (I have nothing underneath it) and he refused to move out of my way so I could get to my car and get my girlfriend and her 5 year old daughter to safety. Clearly he was under the influence of alcohol and whatever other drug he was on and his friend was keeping a lookout while they claimed to be calling the police but I stood my ground and told him, whoever he is, that I am not gonna strip my shirt off of my back so you can have it because you claim to be the owner of this business.

In retrospect, if this is how the owner treats people who are randomly wearing an old employee's work shirt and positively portraying the company with free advertising, at the same time attempting to rob somebody in public of a shirt saying its his just because he "owns" the company then he is every bit deserving of this negative post for I felt compelled to write the first review of his business for threatening me and attempting to rob me in front of my family.

This is like the owner of Nike demanding their articles of clothing off of you because they own the company. Very negative person, very negative attitude and a very intimidating approach attempting to strong hand an old shirt from an innocent person wearing it in public.

• Ne
      13th of Jul, 2012

The owner of this company needs to get rid of his red headed employee before his business or a costumer gets hurt. I did not get service from this company either but I witnessed an appalling attack on a young girl from this red headed young "man". I was walking my dog when I saw him chasing down a terrified girl. She took cover in a vehicle while he continuously punched the driver side door. He then got her out of the car and they disappeared. When she returned he was behind her throwing large objects and breaking them on her head with little kids around watching. Thankfully she was able to get away. I was unable to help but law enforcement was called. I hope he is in jail. He is a threat to society and this business should be more aware of it's employeees behaviors!