Maple Call Inc / long distance calls

1-5 PO Box 57109 STN A, Toronto ON M5W 5M5, Canada Review updated:

Hello,
I have been for longtime a client of necc telecom. I was using their long distances services. I found out by chance, only a few days ago, that necc telecom has been bough by maple call. I called maple call and asked about their rates and services. They said that the necc telecom rates are kept at the same level. I received yesterday (january 30, 2019) an invoice for 2 months in the amount of $107.13. I have a previous bad experience with necc since they billed me for calls I have never used. I understand that the invoice is for 2 months. However I never paid so much. There are other fees in the amount of $18.16, that I have never paid before. The invoice states that it has to be paid until february 2, 2019 otherwise late charges may apply. I am trying since yesterday to contact them. It seems almost impossible, I am currently the 49th in line every time I am calling them. Right now I am awaiting for 45minutes and I am the customer 1 (from 49 at the beginning). The customer service representative answered me said hello and hang up on me. It looks that is almost impossible to talk to them. I tried to locate them on the internet but I cannot find any site. It looks that it is a phantom company.
I have the account number [protected], and the invoice number [protected] (cannot attached since pdf not accepted as format). I cannot see in their invoice their gst number, usually all the invoices have. I would like to know what my recourse against them is. It looks that I have no other choice then to pay without asking questions, otherwise I will be penalized with late fees. Another question, how I will unsubscribe from them. There is only a po address.
Aida sorescu
Cell:[protected]
Home:[protected]
Email : [protected]@gmail.com

Maple Call Inc

• Haddad's Response, Jan 31, 2019

I have canceled my service with NECC two years ago and I got an invoice from Maple Call. for $8.45. It seems that Maple Call bought NECC. What is this? Is this a spam? How to get rid of this? Are these invoices can affect our credit history if not paid?

Ai
Jan 31, 2019

Comments

• Al
      1st of Feb, 2019

As far as Revenue Canada is concerned Maple Call does not have a registered HST account/number although they collect HST.

1st of Feb, 2019

Same issue, was an NECC customer, now I got this invoice on Jan 31/19 from a company I never heard about before (Maple Call) to be paid by Feb 2/19. A few things I noticed: they have all my info, all calls they list seem legit, they increased the charge /min, they increased the carrier charge (previously maintenance charge), all without any communication to me.

Had the patience to wait and spoke to Stefan @ Maple Call. He had no answers about what happened to NECC (asked me to call them - what a joke when he knew exactly that none will answer) and how they got all my info. He was willing to negotiate some charges. I asked if they are my LD provider now and he asked me to call 1-700-555-4141 to find out - this is legit as you can find out on the CRTC website, which is the telecom regulator. I did and the message says something like "thank you for using balocal"? The name of the company was really unclear, but for sure didn't sound like Maple Call. So it's not NECC anymore - what is not legit for sure is to change LD providers without your consent.

I called NECC at a # from their last invoice and the message says that they are "out of business". They actually took the time to record a nice message thanking customers for their loyalty, but didn't say anything about selling or transferring customers to another company. So Maple Call's claim that they took over their customers to keep their service going is questionable.

My 2 cents:
    - I don't know who Maple Call is, never agreed to have them as my LD provider, don't have a contract with them, and this looks highly suspicious.
    - I am really concerned about how my private information got into their hands without my consent, maybe without the consent of NECC either, so I will report this everywhere I can (CRTC, fraud, etc).
    - Since NECC is officially out of business, my contract was with them and I have no proof beyond reasonable doubt that a transfer to Maple Call was legit, I consider that I do not owe anything to Maple Call.

1st of Feb, 2019

It is a ‘very good’ idea to charge monthly service fees, late payment fees and collecting HST without being registered!
    You do not even have to provide any services, just print monthllly invoices and send them to the somebody’s clients. Good job!!!

• St
      1st of Feb, 2019

I am in the same boat as everybody else. I think we've been slammed. At least this is the term CRTC is using. Have a look here.

I am filing a complaint with CCTS 1-888-221-1687 and only pay for the calls I allegedly made.

• Ro
      1st of Feb, 2019

Be aware of MapleCall (former NECC Telecom) this are SCAMMERS sending fake invoices.

• So
      1st of Feb, 2019

@Rommy69 how can you know if these invoices are fake?

4th of Feb, 2019

@Rommy69 Services is $0 on your invoice and still you have to pay $9.02???
    Why?

• Nm
      1st of Feb, 2019

After about one hour wait (started as #99 in queue)I just managed to speak to a customer service representative . They dropped International Discount Fee/Operational charge (total$7.98).
    Discount fee is a recurring fee. If you cancel it your rate will go up a bit. Operational charge is for sending the bill by mail. You can remove those, keep your account and pay only for the calls you make.
    I personally paid the outstanding balance over the phone with a credit card and canceled the service.

• Am
      1st of Feb, 2019

I have the same here, I was a costumer to NECC almost 15-years ago, and stopped using them 10-years ago. Just today I receive this bill for C$ 8.38 even we haven’t used them at all lately. The bill is all about administration fees with no actual use time for the service. Wondering how they issued such bill for no service. I tried to find NECC site on the net, but it disappeared, and those Maple Call Inc. has no sites to contact them, and their phone number is always busy.
    I wonder if this is a way to push the people paying before the due date which is tomorrow, and has no time to claim them.
    Also, I need a help how to unregister with this company.
    In the meantime, is it a fraud from NECC to pass the customer information to a new buyer without the customer agreement.
    We someone to help and advice for suitable action.

1st of Feb, 2019

@Amin21990 I filed a complaint with CRTC (they have a special category: long distance, service transfer), and another one with the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre (CAFC).
    I am not calling Maple Call, and when I am in the right mood I will mail them a "cease or desist" letter.

• Am

@Alexei60 Thanks so much,
    I will do so,

• Ml

bonjour
    si possible de parler avec quelqu’un en français ou en serbo-croate pour m'expliquer la facture que j'ai reçu au 418-998-2495.facture numéro 89020543
    merci
    mladen

• Mi
      1st of Feb, 2019

Just placed a complaint with CCTS /Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services/.
    Unfortunately, they are just mediators, but hopefully they can at least advise us if Maple Call is legitimate .
    Tried to call the Fraud Center too, but missed their business hours. If someone managed to contact them, please, let us know. We are all together in this mess.
    Can anyone recommend another descent long distance provider? There were so many before, but now I can't manage to find even one.

• Ry

@Milena Radeva https://keepcalling.com/
    I just find one its under 2c per min

1st of Feb, 2019

@Milena Radeva I reached both, got reference numbers for the record. I am NOT paying, and I will contact the police on the grounds of suspicious and fraudulent activity if I receive a yet another invoice next in a month.
    By the way the CCTS site has a list of registered providers to choose from while filing a complaint. NECC was there but Maple Call was not.

• Ry
      1st of Feb, 2019

I get KeepCalling long distance company https://keepcalling.com/

• Lu

Hi there,
    same situation here. I just got the invoice today and I have to pay it till February 2nd. I was in a plan with NECC for 1000 min for 15.67 dollars and now my bill is 73.77. I am waiting on the phone at this very moment and U will see what they say. ….
    Just talked to a girl named Pamela, that listened to what I told her- said that the new company doesn't have this plan- even when they called my husband they said is going to be the exact plan that we had with NECC. So, she said that she is going to give this to the supervisor and they will call me back in an hour. I will wait an hour and see.
    Luciana

• So
      1st of Feb, 2019

Hi everyone, just went to go online to pay this bill and realized it doesnt come up with my bank like NECC did. I called the number provided today and it said "Dear customer, because we are experiencing a high volume of calls please call back at a another day" basically something along those lines. and it hangs up... I am not paying this bill, clearly fishy.

• Lu

HI everyone,
    It was a pleasant surprise to receive a call back from Maple Call inc. So, the girl named Pamela, was nice and she solved the problem. She calculated with the old plan that I had with Necc and said that we can pay at the bank starting middle of next week . It is not going to be any penalty she said and the bill is for 3 month- November, December and January.
    I think it's the same people with a different name- for some reason that I do not know.
    Anyway, Pamela was nice and helpful.

• Ad
      1st of Feb, 2019

@Luciana Constantinescu Hi all.

I called Maple Call on the second customer service line 647-258-6399, today Friday at 9:36 pm and was second in line.
    Also the same receptionist, Pamela, was nice and although I was pissed off by the way they switched over from Necc to Maple and I explained her that a letter to all Necc customers would have gone far and wouldn't create panic among customers, I also decided to continue one more month with them. She cancelled the $4.99 long distance discount charge and I provided with an email address so the other $2.99 fee was also cancelled. She said I can register on their website and pay there by credit card, or through banking or by cheque, whichever is more convenient for me. I was on pre-authorized credit card payment plan with Necc and on my invoice in the Remittance section states DO NOT PAY, so I thought they have also transferred the credit card information and will proceed with the pre-authorized payment. But she said they did not get any banking or credit card information from Necc and that statement is auto-generated by the system. So I am awaiting my credit card statement to confirm no funds have been withdrawn before I make the payment, for the new amount after fees cancellation. After all it wasn't as bad as many people reported in this thread.

• Lp
      3rd of Feb, 2019

@Adrian2002 What about the Carrier Cost Recovery Fee ($1.02)? Did you get that one removed also, or is it staying?

• Gi

Bonsoir,

je suis dans la même situation que vous tous.
    Ce que j'ai découvert: j'ai payé un 5 $ pour le mois de novembre (c'est ce que je devais ) et un 20 $ pour le mois de décembre (malgré le fait que je n'avais pas reçu une facture).
    J' ai reçu la facture de MapleCall le 31 janvier avec des détails sur les payements à faire avant le 2 février bien-sure. En ce qui concerne les détails de la facture : supposément depuis le 16 novembre, jusqu'au 7 janvier je suis chargée avec un total de 22, 99 $. Dans ce montant c'est inclus: ''other fees : 10, 75$ '' donc l'utilisation de leurs services était de 9, 24 $.
    Si on fait un simple calcul, je devrais rien payer. Pourtant j'ai reçu une facture de 22, 99 $.

Conclusion: c'est un fraude donc je ne vais RIEN payer.

2nd of Feb, 2019

It is ridiculous, I do not have phone number and these guys charge me "Operational charge" and "International discount fee"

2nd of Feb, 2019

What Maplecall did is illegal and is called slamming and cramming. This is the definition:
    "Cramming is the illegal practice of placing unauthorized, misleading or deceptive charges on your telephone bill. What is Slamming? Slamming is the illegal practice of switching your telephone provider to another provider without your permission."

I have no obligation to pay such company which is doing illegal things. If I have to pay any invoice it would be to NECC not to MapleCall, but NECC did not send me any invoice and they closed the business.

I called MapleCall customer service multiple times and some agents were nice and some were rude, but this is irrelevant because as I was told, they are just agents working for a call center for more then one company, and the agents are actually located oversees. They have a script and a story about the company and they are paid to say what is on the screen, they don't have the obligation to check if what they are told to say it's true or not.
    One agent told me that NECC accounts were moved to Maplecall on January 24th. But that was without my consent or knowledge.

I have a moral obligation to report them and NOT TO PAY THEM because I don't want to promote and support bed behaviors.

• Bo
      2nd of Feb, 2019

I just filed a complain with BBB in Ontario. This is a scam and don't pay your bill. Please file a scam complain with BBB.
    Thanks

• Gk
      2nd of Feb, 2019

Hi all. Similar story here. Recommendations. If you were paying your bills by automatic debit, please advise you bank to put a stop payment on direct debits from NECC Telecom or Maple Call Inc. If payments were made by automatically charging your credit card, cancel your credit card and reorder a new one with a new number. Remember to advise other companies automatically charging your credit card when you get your new credit card number. If charges already appear on your credit card or were deducted from your bank account, dispute them with reasons that no notification was given re takeover by NECC by Maple Call, no notification of the new monthly rates and call rates, and no authorization was given by for Maple Call for directly charging your credit card or bank account. Any attempt by Maple Call to collect payment should be answered by "I will see you in court and we will let a judge decide". No company will take an individual to court for a small amount even if it is $200. Even if they did, you would have an easy time winning a case with all the "scam" information on the internet and the lack of notification you received. Any blotch on your credit record can easily be removed by contacting the credit agencies and advising them the non-payment is due to a dispute with Maple Call and provide credit agencies with all "scam" information you can find on the internet. Finally, because Maple Call has purposely made it difficult for you to reach their customer service, send a registered letter to the PO Box address indicated on the invoice and return envelope. In the letter, advise them of your account number and the you are cancelling the account with them effective immediately. If applicable, advise them that have put a stop payment on their company on automatic bank account debits or credit card charges. Finally, advise them the you are not paying any of the charges for the above-noted reasons and will only pay for legitimate calls (after you verify them) made at the call rates you had with NECC. Keep a copy of your signed letter and the registered mail receipt. You will incur about a $10 cost for a registered letter but it is the proof you need re the cancellation of the Maple Call account and will save you a lot of time trying to get through to customer service which may or may not lead to a successful outcome. Do not let the scammers win. Good luck everyone.

GK in Mtl

12th of Feb, 2019

@GKMtl Did the same thing: sent a "cease and desist" letter to Maple Call, and filed a complaint with the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS), got a reference number from them, I hope this case is in progress. CCTS already asked to clarify a few details.

• Mi
      2nd of Feb, 2019

same situation with me.. have been with NECC for many years and now suddenly receive invoice from Maple Call without any notice that it has changed company. I tried calling NECC and it says that its out of business... then I tried calling Maple Call and the answering service says due to high volume of call please call back another day??? and could not find anything on web either regarding this company if it is legit or not...something doesn't feel right, seems like a fraud to me however don't know what to do because the due date for payment is today 02Feb19. but I don't want to pay them if this is a fraud company. also I was always able to pay NECC thru my bank and now no longer possible?

2nd of Feb, 2019

I don't know what you are all complaining about - the representatives from MapleCall explained about what happened with NECC, which turned out to be true after I called NECC Customer Service number. I was charged a cent higher than with NECC but they kept their promise of offering the same price and recalculated my invoice. They also removed the fees and left me with the Carrier cost recovery fee which turns out i had it before as well (it's called Carrier Charges on my NECC invoice).
    I'm thankful for them taking over my long distance service as otherwise Cogeco might have charged me for the calls I'm making and I'd rather pay 1 cent higher than pay few dollars a call.

3rd of Feb, 2019

@Erik K So Erik, what happened to NECC that is so true? Please enlighten us. Everyone here said the same thing - we do not know what happened!!! I personally spoke to Maple Call and couldn't tell me! I called the NECC customer service # from my last invoice with them (1-866-300-2610) and they just have a prerecorded message saying that they are out of business, so who did you talk to again? Are you actually working for Maple Call?

3rd of Feb, 2019

@IMD67 Really?? Yes, i might be working for them. They also paid me thousand grand for commenting here. Get real people!!

Seriously now, what other confirmation you need NECC closed? Their customer service # says so, their website is non functional. To me is clear they're out of business and closed every contact we could have with them.

But as I said, I'd rather pay a cent higher than be charged my local provider.

If you would just contact Maple Call I think they could help you with your invoice and offer some more explanations, the wait is looong but for me was worthy in the end.

3rd of Feb, 2019

@Erik K BTW mr Erik, what Maple Call has done is illegal. Read @ Maple Call Victim for an intro and go do your homework before you misinform other people. The fact that you don't care why Maple Call has your information (which was supposed to be private) and how they, etc, does not make the rest of us "unreal". Illegal is illegal.

3rd of Feb, 2019

@IMD67 I would not be so sure it's private. Do a Google search about yourself and you'll be amazed how much of your information is not so private.