Mansion Cafe - Atlantic City, NJ / Unauthorized debit card charge

United States Review updated:
On 8/25/07 around 11pm, I went to the Mansion Cafe located in the Showboat Casino in Atlantic City, NJ. I left my server an over 20% tip on the table. I went to the counter and paid my bill for $24.06 with my debit card. A few days later, I noticed on my bank statement that I was charged $28.86 for my bill. I called the Mansion Cafe and the accounting department. I was told that they would look into it and they would call me back in a few days or I should call them. I also emailed the company. Is there anything else I can do at this point?

Thanks. Kristy.

N  26th of Sep, 2007 by
The difference is exactly 20% over the base bill. Often, when a restaurant runs your credit card, they are only seeking an authorization. The credit card company authorizes it for 20% more (not the restaurant). The restaurant may not close the transaction for a couple of days, meaning your credit card statement online may show the authorization for a few days. It should revert back to the correct charge within a couple days.

I have worked in restaurants for years, and I have had several people complain about this, but it this the credit card company (bank) increasing the authorization to allow for a standard tip.