Manpower sign Cisco / Required to be to work 15 mins early

2960 Steven's Creek Blvd San Jose, CA 95128
San Jose
Phone: 408-241-4167
I was employed by Manpower staffing agency and had an assignment with Cisco Systems in San Jose. We were required to be to work 15 minutes before our shift without pay. The 15 minutes was used to get our laptops which we use for work and to get them started up and all the applications opened needed for the day of work. We were not able to claim this as time worked even though we were required to be there and were using the time to get computer started up. It seems to me that since this time used was for work related activities that we should have been paid for it. If we were on a call and we had to work over time we were not paid for any time worked over 8 hours unless it was over 10 minutes past our quitting time.

Another complaint is that we were not permitted to use the restroom if not on one of our scheduled breaks. We would have to ask permission in a team online chat that all could see. At times we were declined permission to use the restroom. This practice is not only degrading to have to ask permission, but has caused me to have bladder issues rescently.

It seems that this organization believes they can require extra time worked without pay and deny basic rights that people should have when they need to relieve themselves.

D  7th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -3 Votes
This complaint is another example of the lack of work ethic within the Generation X crowd. You were likely required to be at work 15 minutes early so that you would be ready to start work promptly when your shift starts. Otherwise, you'd be spending the first 15 minutes of your shift unprepared to do your job. If you had any sense of pride in your work, you'd be there 30 minutes before and stay 30 minutes after the end of your shift to make sure all loose ends were tied up before leaving. No one likes cleaning up another's leftovers. Grow a pair and be glad you have a job in the first place. I'd be embarassed to make this type of complaint.
A  7th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +3 Votes

Its agianst US labor laws to require people to work without paying them.

"get our laptops which we use for work and to get them started up and all the applications opened needed for the day of work."

Now I agree that breaks need to be regulated but this is not "preparing to work" its WORK.
A  7th of Feb, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Three words --Department of Labor. Company can be fined for your working off the clock. Use the internet to find out how to reach labor dept.
N  19th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Did you make your employer aware of the situtation? If you were working through Manpower, you were on assignment at a client site. The client set the work conditions. Did you advise your employer - Manpower.
N  27th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
In a way i agree with the commenter "confused" but in a way i do not.
Manpower has been around for a very long time and i myself have had a similar experience with them on more than one occasion.
Manpower should *never* have put you into this sort of predicament to begin with. They are supposed to screen the businesses not just applicants they send out.
I myself have had two poor experiences with Manpower. I regret not reporting to them the incident and i also regret not sticking with Kelly Staffing.
D  25th of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Um I worked at Manpower as a recruiter, and whilst I can't speak for San Jose I can say we told people that it's customary to be 10-15 minutes early for work. I was at work before my shift daily as "hardnosedmanagertype" said. And while I do think he/she was harsh, they are correct that X/Y are lazy. I am Gen X, and I find my similarly aged colleagues have a different opinion of good work ethic.

I don't think you need to be "working" unpaid 15 minutes early, but everyone should be at their station a minimum of 5 minutes ahead to yes, turn on their computer and start logging in. Be realistic. What's that 5 minutes? You're telling me you don't waste 5 minutes of the company's time during the day? How about if they dock you for internet surfing you inevitably do? Or that five minute goof off chat at the water cooler? Yeah so grow up.
D  8th of Apr, 2010 by
dude... be careful you might overwork 15 minutes a day! you have NO CLUE about the real world. how old are you 10?

Mate... you will never be anyone in life with this kind of attitude, as someone already said, you should be glad you have a job but will never move away from temp work. someone would have to be crazy to hire you.