Malaysian Airline / excess baggage charge

Hong Kong Review updated:
3.35
When we booked our luggage in we were over our limit, this has never happened to me before, I have travelled many times with Malaysia Airlines.
We booked our luggage in at Hong Kong we were told we had excess baggage, I would like to know why we were not told we could have sent the excess luggage as un-accompanied luggage, from what I have been told it is a lot cheaper than what I had to pay. Also the plane we were on was no-where near full.
Also when I tell people this (it is not good for Malaysia Airlines) I am told other airlines do not charge excess baggage, why does Malaysia Airlines charge? Why do Malaysia Airlines charge so excessively for excess baggage.
I in future will think hard before travelling Malaysia Airlines again and also others who listen to my experience will think twice about it too.
What would I be happy with, half my money back we were charged a heftily for the excess.

Comments

Ea
  28th of Oct, 2008
OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS ME AND MY WIFE HAVE GOT FED UP WITH BEING STUNG FOR EXCESS BAGGAGE AFTER A LOT OF THOUGHT WE DECIDED TO DEVELOP A SUITCASE WITH BUILT IN SCALES. WHICH HAS A LCD DIGITAL SCALE IN THE HANDLE IT A NEW VENTURE FOR US BUT WE THINK IT COULD BE THE ANSWER TO AVOIDING EXCESS BAGGAGE CHARGES AND LONG DELAYS AT THE AIRPORT WE HAVE RECENTLY BEEN FEATURED ON CHANNEL FIVE GADGET SHOW AND WAS DESCRIBED AS GENIUS AND SAID NO ONE SHOULD TRAVEL WITH OUT ONE
WWW.ECOSUITCASES.CO.UK
Am
  3rd of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My parents had to pay 570 pounds for 15 kg excess when they travelled from Heathrow to KL 3 days ago with Malaysian Airlines. I'll never travel with Malaysian Airlines again. It's Qantas for me from now on!
Ea
  27th of Feb, 2009
In my opinion the complainant is making unnecessary fuss and has an ulterior motive in complaining. Every traveler knows very well that airlines allow a specific baggage allowance. I dont think this traveler is so stupid that they dont know they were carrying excess baggage.
Ad
  26th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Malaysia airlines attempted to charge my wife and I £790 for 11kgs on a flight from KL to Heathrow. We paid £200 in the end only to find the flight was empty. The check in clerk told us that this is the way they make their profits. Don't fly Malaysia Airlines they are cheats!!!
Se
  30th of Jun, 2013

Malaysia Airlines - Poor knowledge from customer services
Malaysia

I call up to customer service on 25/6/13, the answering machine ask me to leave my phone number & they will call Me back shortly. At 14.51 a malay ladies customer service call me & i told her that i will like to purchase a ticket to Hong Kong using travel voucher. I stay in Klang & will like to go to the nearest ticket counter. She advice me to go Subang Airport. I went there on 26/6/2013, after queing for about 20min I was served but to my disappointment the staff told me they can't issue me MAS ticket & direct me to KLIA or KL Sentral. Why the knowledge from customer service at the call centre was so poor they can't even provide accurate information to the customer.
Ba
  12th of Jul, 2016

Malaysian Airline - I have never received such awful service before!
Malaysian Airline

I have been planning my trip to Malaysia for the last 6 months. It finally arrived and I Left for KL on the 10th of Dec. My flight was absolutely terrible: The air host was so rude: I asked (nicely) if i could have another blanket, he barked: 'N0!' and walked away. . He host shoved food at me, leaned over me to shake the passenger next to, (roughly) - I WAS HORRIFIED i was scared to ask for anything. When the flight was over, i went to collect my baggage... problem was MY LUGGAGE NEVER ARRIVED!No one knew where it was - there was no record of it leaving JHB., Two days later, I received word that my bag was never tagged. They had to break open the built in lock (this bag cost me R4000 by the way) and when i identified items from across the world, i was told that my bag would be sent to me on the next available flight. I was suppose to receive my bag today, but there is one problem... MY BAG WASNT LOADED... AGAIN!

Whats more, is Malaysia airlines 'generously' offered to pay a whole 300 Riggets for a bag of items that was probably worth around R25000. I am apparently getting my bag tomorrow... we'll see. I fly back on the 6 Jan, and demand that my boyfriend and I are upgraded!
Ce
  1st of Aug, 2016

Malaysia Airlines - Change of Flight without informing and poor service
Malaysia Airlines

Hi
I am Mrs.Cecilia Gomes. I on boarded Malaysian Airways flight MH - 148 from Melbourne at 2:30 pm local time and landed in Kuala Lumpur International Airport at local time 9:05 pm. My flight to Bangladesh, as issued in the ticket, was supposed to leave from Kuala Lumpur at 10:20 pm and land in Dhaka at 12:10 am on 29th August. But at the airport in Malaysia i was informed that my flight would not be leaving at 10:20 pm that day but the following morning at 9:40 am and that it would land in Dhaka at 11:35 am.My seat no. was 11D. I was a wheelchair passenger and i was not given any hotel or any kind of nourishment for the night. I had to stay over at the airport and sleep on a chair. I have problem of arthritis and became more sick staying nightlong at the airport in such terrible condition. I had requested the attendants several times to check on the availability of flight / hotel but the staff members were not co-operative at all.
To keep a sick person waiting without earlier information in a wheelchair for more 11 hours 30 minutes is too much without a proper resting arrangement.
I am really disappointed by the poor level of service from this world class(!) career . On returning to Dhaka i became very sick and couldn't move for the last one day. I feel that my poor health will remain that way for the next few days and I demand proper compensation from the airlines authority and expect an apology.
Thanking you in anticipation of a quick response of compensation.
Mrs.Cecilia Gomes
contact: 0088-01916049083
Ms
  1st of Aug, 2016

Malaysia Airlines - Messed up on visa
Malaysia

Renewed my passport on my trip back in Malaysia, with the new passport details, I manage to check in online on my flight back to Australia and received a confirmation for it. When I went to drop my baggage at the counter, the officer told me I need to transfer my visa details to my new passport or I'm not allowed to board the plane. Was told to get it done from the ticketing counter. The lady at the ticketing counter said she need 24 hours notice for the transfer. 15 min later, she said it's all sorted and I need to pay RM30 for it. Was quite surprise as the visa transfer usually do not cost anything.

Only to find out 2 days later the lady at the ticketing counter applied a new tourist visa rather than transferring my details from the old passport to new. Because of this, I'm no longer allowed two rim in Australia. Called the customer service, all they told me was I need to go to the immigration and they have nothing to do with this. When I asked to speak with manager or supervisor, they told me their supervisor only work in office hours. Meaning to say MAS employee work with no supervision..hence the service.

Went to the immigration to tell them what happen and it get sorted in 15 min. Looks like know exactly what happen. Guess this is a very common problem coming out from MAS.

Coming back to checking in online with new passport details. Why am I allowed to check in if my visa has not been transferred? The lady the check in counter could not answer my question.

Malaysia Airlines Logo Malaysia Airlines