Malaysia Airlines / hopeless

1 South Africa Review updated:

1. Their website is a mess. You cannot always see which flights are available. Then when you look for information on a basic written synopsis of films, all you get is a synopsis of one or two and video trailers. Where is a basic text synopsis on all films showing on a flight if someone does not wish to watch the videos? Where is the information indicating if breakfast, lunch and/or dinner will be served on the flight? Try checking online for over a day only to be told their site has technical errors. Their site has had various technical errors for years.

2. Some of their customer service agents are appalling. One gave me attitude and told me that the links to the trailers work. Who said they did not? I asked for a text document with the synopses. This same person told me the website did indicate which meals were served. She sent me a link. All that the link indicates is that a flight has at least one meal. It does not indicate how many or whether these are breakfast, lunch or dinner. Another agent told me they could not check me in telephonically when the website kept refusing. A third agent told me they could check me in telephonically and said that she had done so. Who knows what will happen when I arrive at the airport.

3. They changed one of the flight numbers without telling me. This is not ahuge inconvenience as the flight time has not changed, but why did they not communicate this? I have a connecting flight from Kuala Lumpur to Manila. I found out one day before leaving that Malaysia Airlines had unilaterally put me onto a much later flight. They did not cancel the first one - they are still selling tickets for it. I had booked and paid in February for a flight in December. What gives them the right to push me onto a flight that leaves about five hours later? I do not even know yet if they have also pushed my companion to the same later flight. The service agent insisted I had booked the later flight even though I have a physical ticket in front of me for the earlier flight. I had to phone the travel agent so they could try to fight with Malaysia Airlines. I am supposed to be getting all sorts of things ready today. Instead I am sending e-mails to all and sundry to try to get a response so that Malaysian Airlines will fix their botch up. Tomorrow I leave for Kuala Lumpur and then Manila.

Malaysian Airlines is clearly nothing like a five star airline.

Comments

• It
      18th of Dec, 2010

Here is my horror story concerning Malaysian Airlines. My girlfriend and I were set to fly out on 9:30pm December 15th, 2010 from Changi Airport to HKG. We arrived to the check-in counter at around 7:30pm and encountered some problems with weighing in our baggage. My girlfriend and I each had two pieces of baggage with us a carry on bag and one to check-in, my check in bag weighed 24kg while my girlfriends weighed 31kg. After the weigh in, the guy at the counter aid that my bag met the weight requirement, while my girlfriends suitcase was 10kg too heavy. So to fix the situation we decided to take stuff out of my girlfriend’s suitcase and distribute them onto our carry-on luggage. After 45 minutes we finally got the weight down to an acceptable level and the employee then proceeded to tell us that now my carry on luggage, which was at an appropriate weight 45 minutes ago was now 4kg too heavy. After another round of shuffling around our stuff and buying a new bag to put them in we finally fixed the weight issue. As we began the check in process the time was almost 9:00pm. We then encountered another problem as he told us that we could not board the flight due to the fact that we have had no onward tickets exiting Hong Kong. After reasoning with him that we were taking a train onward to Guangzhou, which immigration rules clearly state that you can enter Hong Kong without an onwards ticket if you are heading towards mainland China. As I explained this to him he said the only way we could get on the plane was to purchase another ticket, by that time he told us we wouldn’t make the boarding time anyway and to just cancel our trip. I hate to point the finger, but the guy working the counter was an unprofessional joke. Instead of giving us straight answers he constantly wasted our time. On top the situation, we canceled our ticket incurring penalty fees while spending more money on hotels and scheduling a new flight with another carrier. I have flown Malaysian Airlines in the past to Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong with no problems, but I can now say I will avoid this airline from now on at any cost.