MagsForLess.com

Posted:

Buyers beware!

I ordered a renewal of my Sports Illustrated subscription on March 9, 2006 since it was to expire by July, 2006. Sports Illustrated has no record of being contacted about this renewal.

I have emailed this company several times and have received no response. The phone number listed above is an answering machine which gives the following message: “Thank you for calling. Goodbye.”

According to the New York Better Business Bureau, there have been several complaints vs. this firm. In checking opinions.com, numerous people have also complained about not receiving their subscriptions. BUYERS BEWARE! At this point, all I want is my money back.

S. R.

Order Status:
Order Completed

Date Ordered:
Thu 09 Mar 2006
Complaint comments Comments (131) Complaint country United States Complaint category Magazines & Newspapers

Comments

N  8th of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes

MagsForLess.com - No magazines received!

Mags For Less is a web site offering magazine subscriptions at a discounted price. On their site they say they are located in New York, but I was unable to locate them that way. I ordered and paid for a magazine subscription on-line June 27, 2006 and when Mags For Less confirmed my order via email it said to expect the magazine in four to six weeks. After seven weeks, I emailed Mags For Less using their website and received the following response:

I do apologize for the inconvenience. When I looked up your account I found the order you are referring to and found there was a problem processing your subscription from the publisher. Unfortunately at times publishers reject our orders due to improperly formatted mailing address, incomplete zip code etc. I went ahead and personally resubmitted your order to the publisher and put a rush on it. You should receive your magazine within 4-12 weeks.

meagen@magsforless.com

So, I waited another nine weeks and received nothing. I started emailing them again using their site and have not received a response since. I finally tracked down the number from my credit card for Mags For Less parent company MY1MAG.COM which is (888) 720-6298. When I called, it sounded professional, but ended up routing me to a mailbox that was "full." That would not happen at a legitimate company that is still in business. To make things worse, I tried to dispute the charge with my credit card company MBNA and they told me you have 60 days from the charge date to dispute it. So I am out $86.99.
A  29th of Nov, 2006 by    0 Votes
Even I applied for a 12 month subscription of Readers digest which was announced in http://deals2buy.com. I thought any deals mentioned at deals2buy would be genuine and the payment option also had google checkout. But I was surprised when I never got my magazine even after 2 months and couple of complains through emails and phone calls. 4 out of the 5 times that I called them, it automatically went to their voice mail. The other time I left a message and never got a call back. I even send a mail to google and am yet to get any response from them.

DO NOT SUBSCRIBE ANYTHING FROM THIS SITE !!!
N  2nd of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
Hi,

My name is Kim Scott and I am the customer service manager at MagsForLess. I am posting on this forum to let you know that I apologize for any issues you previously experienced with MagsForLess. I have a new dedicated team in place and I am going to work their butt until every single customer is pleased with their magazine subscription experience.

MagsForLess goal is to revolutionize the magazine subscriptions industry by offering an unparalleled customer experience.

Please feel free to contact me directly at kim@magsforless.com and let me know how I can help.

Kim Scott, MagsForLess
N  8th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes

MagsForLess.com - Paid for and never received magazine subscription

I received the following message on Dec 06, 2006 and only after I initiated a response. The scam is to keep pushing you off 4-12 weeks until either you forget about your order or until the allowed time for a charge-back has expired. BUYER BEWARE THIS COMPANY TAKES YOUR MONEY AND DOESN'T DELIVER THE GOODS!

<--- Paste of magsforless.com email received on Dec 06, 2006------->

I do apologize for the inconvenience. I located the order you are referring to and was able to identify the problem with getting your subscription processed.

The issue has now been corrected. I went ahead and personally resubmitted your order to the publisher and put a rush on it. You should receive your magazine within the next 4-12 weeks.

Thank you for your patience and cooperation on this matter. I'm glad we could get this resolved and look forward to assisting you with your future magazine subscription needs.

A  9th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
I was charged 4 times on one credit card and once on another for one order. No magazines. I was charged for another order and no product received one another order so far i am out 156.00
A  27th of Dec, 2006 by    0 Votes
I found an excellent website that steers people to the best prices in magazine subscriptions. This website performs an absolutely splendid service.

One of the magazine subscription sites shown on this master website is www.magsforless.com.

On September 2, 2006, I ordered and paid for two magazines through magsforless.com. In December, when I had not received any issues of either magazine, I first contacted the subscription offices of the two magazines. They did not know what I was talking about. After that, I began sending e-mails to a Meagan, the customer service(?) representative of magsforless.com. Since my first e-mail, I have sent a minimum of thirty e-mail inquiries about my subscriptions. Additionally, since they do not answer their phones, I have left numerous messages with their answering service. Out of all the communication I have attempted with this company, I have received one response, and that response referred to a magazine I had ordered through their company, but it did not deal with the two magazines to which I had been referring. This disservice to the public is unconscionable. I care much less about the money the subscriptions cost than the utter disregard this company has shown to me and the general public. how dare they not respond immediately to my concerns? After all, their website prominently crows that they will respond to any customer service issue in a few hours. I absolutely demand an explanation of where my funds went or a full refund of these funds. I shall not be doing any business with this company any more, and would recommend that others follow my lead. What an utter disgrace!!!!
A  4th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
Because of all the problems others have had and those experienced by myself, I cannot recommend doing any business with this operation.

I ordered 4 magazines (for a total of $48.54) in June 2006 and even used a $5 coupon (which I'm not sure was applied). One magazine [Backpacker] came quickly, but after 6 months, I never received any of the others. I received a few generic emails with links to ask for an 'investigation' or a refund.

Emailing replies or using the links didn't work. I finally sent an email (1/2/07) to every address that I could find associated with this company (questions@magsforless.com, kim@magsforless.com, support@my1mag.com, owner@magsforless.com, info@itorama.com) asking for a resolution. A day later I received a paypal notification about a payment sent. I received a reply from kim@magsforless.com (Kim Scott) offering apologies and was given a refund of $43.54 (less a paypal fee of $1.56 since a credit card was apparently used to fund the transfer).

The paypal sender was listed as Joel Simkhai with an address of questions@almostfreemags.com and a 'paypal confirmed' mailing address of:

Joel Simkhai
41 West 72nd Street, 10G
New York, NY 10023

I'm not sure how they came to the issued amount of $43.54 unless it was a typo or they thought the coupon was applied; but considering I got at least one magazine that was listed as $10.23, I guess it'll work out for me in the end.

My best suggestion is to write a calm letter with your order info asking for a refund and carbon copy it to all the email addresses I've listed. Maybe someone will listen.

The whois for the domain listed in the paypal payment is:

Michael Farber
42 Oak Place
Houston, Texas 77056

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.GoDaddy.com)
Domain Name: ALMOSTFREEMAGS.COM

Simkhai, Joel yysnyc@yahoo.com
n/a
Los Angeles, California 90029
(310) 348-4526

Because my issue was resolved, I cannot give the worst rating, however I'd still recommend avoiding this company or any other domain with which it is associated (magsforless.com, almostfreemags.com, my1mag.com, and any other copy you can find). In researching the company, I've seen dozens of complaints on sites like epinions.com, resellerratings.com, and the New York BBB those people can be assisted as well.

I hope this information helps.
A  8th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
I have had a similar experience to everyone else who has posted here. I ordered three magazines on July 30, 2006. In October, I sent a message asking when the subscriptions would start. The response was that was processing, and I should begin to see issues shortly. Then by the end of November, still no issues, I emailed again. I was told that it can sometimes take up to 20 weeks for these to start, and that they should begin shortly. In January, 2007, when issues still have not arrived, I sent several more emails (over the course of 3 or 4 days), and have since gotten no responses. STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY!!!
A  10th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
I ordered 4 magazine subscriptions from MagsForLess and paid everything upfront. After 60 days of waiting I contacted customer support and was told that they had up to 90 days to get the magazines to me. After 90 days I contacted them again only to receive an email that told me all 4 magazines were on backorder. I find this highly unlikely being that these were 4 very popular magazines (Road and Track, Backpacker, Motor Trend and Hot Rod). After I received this sorry excuse I emailed customer support again requesting a refund. I’ve gotten no response yet and I’ve email customer support 5 days in a row. The magazine subscriptions this company claims they can sell for unbelievably low prices is not worth the trouble, STAY AWAY!!!!
A  14th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
I've experienced the exact same issue as the complaints previously posted.

Does anyone know what is required to bring a class action lawsuit against my1mag.com?

Also, the publishers of the magazines being advertised/sold on the website may have an interest as it is cannabizing their revenues. I for one am out $50 for a magazine subscription that was never delivered and won't be subscribing to anything in the near future.
N  17th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes

MagsForLess.com - Took the money, never deliver the goods

I placed three subscriptions of magazines from magsforless.com starting March 2006, but none of the magazines ever showed, yet my credit card was billed almost immediately.

I used their online customer-service form to inquire about the magazines. Two or three days later, I received a reply from a "Megan Richards" saying that there was some technical glitches and my subscriptions did not go through. The message assured me that she would be rushing a subscription for me.

I waited for another two months before I realize something was still wrong. I filed another inquiry about a later subscription, and guess what? Almost an exact message from this "Megan Richards" came back, saying that was a technical glitch and she would rush another order for me.

Having worked in the IT fields for most of career, I realize that the email was most likely generated by some automated computer. I found their phone number on the credit card statement, but no one was there to pick it up, and the messagebox was full so I couldn't even leave a message (it wouldn't have worked anyways).

Even if it were true, that there were indeed technical glitches, I don't think they should be allowed to do business. Imagine every time you go to an airport to checkin and are told that due to some tech glitches, you flight reservation didn't go through. How many times could this happen before that airline got sued? Probably very few. Yet magsforless.com is still alive and kicking! If they have so many problems, someone ought to stop them from doing business until they have solved their problems!

But the story gets better. In November, I received an email from their customer-service VP named "Andrew Melville" who gave me the assurance that my concerns would be addressed. I fell for it. I filed another customer inquiry according to his instructions int he email. Then nothing happened, again, for another 2 months. On Jan 11 2007, there was another email from this Andrew Melville, which stated that "I wanted to personally confirm that all your concerns were addressed to your satisfaction by the customer service team here at MagsForLess."

I felt being insulted. So I wrote him (if he is real) back, saying that I was surprised to hear from him again. Then I told him that I think of magsforless as nothing but a scam, a fraud. Then I said the only way to change my opinion is to see my magazines being delivered, and I asked him to give me an acknowledgment upon receiving my email. But just as I thought, an automated computer wouldn't give me any acknowledgment.

So I want to file this report and let everyone know what a shameless fraud it is. Stay away from magsforless.
N  17th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
Please, feel free to contact me concerning any problems or concerns you have with your magazine order with magsforless.com. I will work very hard to correct the problems and resubmit your order or refund you. I look forward to helping you in anyway possible.

Sincerely,
Kim Scott

kim@magsforless.com
A  18th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
I also placed an order with MagsForLess.com and never received my subscription. I've emailed them several times, with no response. I also submitting several inquiries through their website, also no response. This company is a fraud. They will take your money, but not deliver the goods. Stay away from them.
A  25th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
I ordered Oprah magazine from magsforless.com on September 7 06. I paid 16.50 through pay pal. They took the money right away and 18 weeks later I still don't have the magazine. After several weeks I contacted the on line customer service. Someone emailed me back saying I could get 10% off another magazine and asked me if I still wanted the magazine. I said I still wanted It. Now several weeks later I have no magazine. I guess You get what YOU pay for.This site is a big rip off.
N  26th of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
Resolved by Meagan - MagsForLess Support Jan 24 09:11

Dear Lovanna,

I do apologize for the inconvenience. I located the orders you are referring to and was able to identify the problem with getting your subscriptions processed.

The issue has now been corrected. I went ahead and personally resubmitted your orders to the publisher and put a rush on it. You should receive your magazine within the next 4-12 weeks.

Best Regards, Meagen Richards, MagsForLess Customer Support meagen@magsforless.com http://www.magsforless.com

For immediate answers to your questions, we welcome you to visit our FAQs at: http://www.magsforless.com/faq.cfm

You may also lookup the status of your order anytime at: http://www.magsforless.com/ordering.cfm

Re-opened by Lovanna Lee Jan 23 17:43

Hi Meagan,

It has been a few months since you had told me that you would get my order shipped from these magazine companies and I have yet to receive them. Will you please give me an update on when these orders will get fulfilled?

Thanks, Lovanna
A  31st of Jan, 2007 by    0 Votes
Avoid this seller - magsforless is on Ebay, also. I can't believe this kind of merchant exists; just straight-out fraudulent! I ordered a magazine subscription on September 3, 2006 on eBay, and never received ANY issues! I called the magazine itself, and they confirmed that they never received any subscription information for the magazine! Horrible! I called that 1-866 number as well and this woman's recording just says that the line is no longer in service. Disgusting. AVOID!
A  5th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
I placed an order with magsforless.com back in August of 2006 only to be told on numerous occasions that the subscription has been delayed due to the publisher. I have made several requests for a refund only to be told that the subscription is on back order and will be deliver in 4-12 weeks.
Dear Dave,

The issue has been corrected. I went ahead and personally resubmitted your orders to the publisher and put a rush on it. You should receive your magazine within the next 4-12 weeks.

meagen@magsforless.com

For immediate answers to your questions, we welcome you to visit our FAQs at:

You may also lookup the status of your order anytime at:
A  6th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
I ordered 4 magazine subscriptions 13 weeks ago. None of them arrived. Sent an email to their customer service and another one to Megan & Scott {listed on this complaint board}

kim@magsforless.com

I received no response to my emails. I finally contacted my Credit card company to dispute the charges.
A  19th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
Stay far away from MagsForLess.com. Very poor service and no magazines. I received an email from SoftwareProjects.com telling me my refund would be posted in a few days. Right I am still waiting. Stay away from both companies.
A  19th of Feb, 2007 by    0 Votes
I ordered from MagsForLess.com in November 2006. Still have not received my magazines but paid for them!! I have sent countless emails with no response.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree