Magnavox Digital LCD HDTV #37MF231D/37 / Television does not work...I've only had it for a little over a year.

1 2237 Jasmine stWasco, CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-661-333-1230

Last year I purchased a Magnavox LCD Widescreen HDTV (Model # 37MF231D/37 --serial # BZ3a0622773092) and within the last couple of months it began to malfuncion and finally die. The power light blinks on and off several times and then it may or may not turn on after three or four tries. I have contacted the customer service line but thier solutions have fixed nothing. The best they can do is refer me to a repair center. DO NOT PURCHASE A MAGNAVOX/PHILLIPS BRAND...YOU ARE ONLY ASKING FOR TROUBLE! I will wait for a respons from the company to see if they will assist in repairs before referring them to the better business burea or a consumer protection agency. I have also seen multiple complaints on various websites regarding the same problem with similar products...I say they should recall the defective units or consumers should think litigation.

Re

Comments

• Me
      21st of Nov, 2008

Had the same problem after less than 2 years.

28th of Feb, 2009

Fix it yourself. The tv has a bad capacitor and should have been recalled. Has a 25w capacitor where a 35w capacitor should be. If you don't know how to solder, get someone to help you with it so you don't burn the power board. I fixed mine and the only experience I have is working with soldering glass. A bit scary, but for $2.48 and 2 hrs labor, I got it done. Now is works fine.

This is the fix.
    1. Remove all screws around perimeter, one screw at the lower right at (Side A/V), and 2 1”round plastic knob s.
    2. Remove back cover
    3. At lower left side remove 2 screws for On/Off switch cut tie wrap that holds wire down for free movement.
    4. Disconnect wire connector to side A/V at lower right side
    5. Disconnect wire connector to right side circuit Board
    6. Disconnect wire connector to left side circuit board
    7. Remove the 2 mounting brackets upper left and upper right 2 screws each.
    8. Remove 3 screws each side of the metal box in the middle
    9. Fold back metal tape off bottom and top of metal box
    10. 1 wire connector at top of box I left connected
    11. Flip metal box over towards top of Tv. Be careful of wire at top thats still connected.
    12. On left side in box is power supply board
    13. Towards bottom of board you should see the numbers C2081 and C2074
    14. Remove the six screws holding down power supply board
    15. Flip board down towards bottom of Tv.
    16. Unsolder capacitors replace with new 1200uf 35v and 2200uf 35v 105°C radial capacitors
    17. Capacitors should be around 1/2” to 5/8” dia. X 1.25 long appox. 2 Wires come out of one end should be .030 dia.
    18. Reassemble in reverse order and enjoy

• Tb
      9th of Mar, 2009

We purchased the same model about 6-7 months ago and ours is doing the same thing. It takes about 4 times to power up. We have not contacted the manufactor yet, and this tv was purchased from Circut city at which have gone out of business. If we paid so much for this tv, why should we have to fix it ourselves.

26th of Mar, 2009

The fix was rendered for those who have no other choice. My tv was no longer under warranty. I had nothing to lose because I couldn't afford the $480+ to get it fixed. My only other option was to throw it away.

• To
      31st of Aug, 2009

Same Problem here I purchased the tv from Walmart and extended warranty Had it repaired at a repair shop and now its broke again (wont turn on)
    We bought this tv 1-2007 its not 3 yrs old yet !

• Dl
      14th of Sep, 2009

I have a 37MF231D 37" with the same issue, green blinking power light. I have had the tv since 02/07, I have an extended warranty through Target, but it has been over 2 weeks and I am waiting for them to ship me a shipping container to ship it out for service. My warranty runs out 02/01/2010, I'm afraid that it won't be repaired and am hoping Target will issue me a gift card so I can replace it with another manufacturers model.
    Very careless of Magnavox not to recall these units, they put out a product that uses inferior components and has under powered elements.

• Ww
      27th of Mar, 2010

LET'S STOP BUYING MAGNAVOX, LP AND PHILLIPS THEY ARE ALL 1 COMPANY 3 ENTITIES
    RICHARD

Hello,

I was wondering if you could help me a bit with my tv repair. I am unclear on whether i need one capacitor or two. Also, would this one do the trick?:

Thanks so much for your help!

2nd of Apr, 2010

I went to radio shack also and found the part shown in your link. I didn't buy it. I had to go to an electronics store to find the correct part. Check the yellow pages and find a store that specializes in electronic parts. I only replaced the 1200uf 35v as the other one was ok. If you see any signs of leakage on the other capacitor, you would most likely want to replace it. You may want to go ahead and follow the instructions to take the TV apart and check the capacitors. You can remove the old capacitor/capacitors and take them to an electronics store to match up for replacement. I used my soldering iron and some copper foil to pull the solder from the edges of the old capacitor. Be very careful. I was nervous when doing it but found that, once I got some of the solder removed, I only had to hold the iron for a moment on the needle side and it pulled right out. I've never done anything like this before but it was fix it or throw it out. I had nothing to lose.

2nd of Apr, 2010

By the way. It's been 398 days and the tv is still working great!!

3rd of Apr, 2010

Thanks a lot. I actually did the fix before hearing back from you. I replaced the two with 1000uF 35v's. It is working beautifully. I know they arent the right capacitors, so I ordered the right ones and I will just wait for the TV to not work again before replacing it. I haven't soldered since 8th grade, but it went over without incident and my TV is up and running.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

• Ri
      6th of Apr, 2010

I have the same Magnavox 37" LCD HDTV Model: 37MF321D/37 I have had the same thing happen to my piece'o ____. My problem is i live in Southern CA. I have gone to about
    ( and I'm not kidding you ) I've gone to FRYS Electronics, About 5 Radio Shacks in my area And 4 mom and pops Electronic Stores that do not have either, 1200uf35v and the 2200uf35v
    105OC Radial Capacitor (HIGH HEAT) HELP>
    Richard

6th of Apr, 2010

You can purchase them online, google them and you will fine some. I didn't find them either and I used two 1000uf 35v's to replace capacitor 2081 and 2074. My tv is working fine, though I am expecting the same problem to occur since i didn't use the right capacitor. I ordered the proper once and I will be ready to do it all over when the TV goes again.

Long story short, the 1000uf 35v work, at least initially.

• Ro
      30th of Sep, 2010

I know this is an old thread but hopefully someone will see this. Are the caps non-polarity or electrolytics? I found the right size at my local Radio Shack but they ate electolytics. Replacing them will not be a problem but I don't want to tear into it untill I have the right caps. I have the 37mf331d with the same problem.

30th of Sep, 2010

I got mine from Radio Shack so I am assuming they are the same ones. My TV has been working ever since with no problems whatsoever. Never had to replace them (see my post above from 179 days ago).

• Ro
      3rd of Nov, 2010

Followed your procedure and it worked good. Ordered the caps from Amazon.com. The 2200mfd was blown. Thanks for the procedure.

• Lo
      8th of Dec, 2010

same problem going on with my small magnavox hdtv in the kitchen, if I unplug/replug the tv sometimes it will work after that, but i've been fearful there is a short inside, NOW I see what the problem is! Looks like I need to find a friend that's into electronics and give them the instructions above and hope for the best. thank you for the procedure instructions ! lovepl

17th of Oct, 2011

UPDATE: It's getting close to three years since I did the fix above and my magnavox is still running great. Amazing!!

• Lo
      13th of Oct, 2012

This is one great thread. Thanks so much to those of you who posted updates ( pwrbinc, I'm lookin at you : ) ) . It is beautiful to see people helping each other. Kudos to all. I have the same problem on a friends tv and will pick up the caps and have a shop do it.

• Bl
      17th of Nov, 2012

had same problem fixed it a few years ago, fixed it with your help, broke again now but gonna try to fix again because we think it is another problem with a capacitior