MagicJack / beware

If you want to be scammed MagicJack is the right company for you. They advertise your credit card will not be charged give a 30 date but they fail to tell you is your 30 free trial starts the day of your order and in two days they bill your cc the full amount they don’t have customer service except for chat no address or phone number.

Better keep you RMA number and all emails so you can dispute with your Credit Card Company which I plan to do. It might be a good product but the way the company rounds it business *** big time so beware!

Va

Comments

• In
      9th of Jun, 2008

Thanks I am glad this was posted because I almost bought this jack but after reading this I am saving my money.

Indiana

• Bo
      15th of Jun, 2008

Nightmare. Billed my credit card the same day I ordered over internet. Device would not work and absolutely no one would contact me as the software said they would. No phone number or return instructions. Sent back to only address I could find (kept original wrapping) with UPS Service charge for delivery confirmation. Still no confirmation so they probably won't accept package and still charge on my credit card. Another PEOPLE PC but at least PC has a class action suit against thema5f34

• Ji
      20th of Jun, 2008

Can't get the bloody thing to complete installation, nor does the "live chat" ever go through. I've been getting a 'our server is down..we apologize for any inconvenience' for over a week.

Lesson learned - check for complaints before buying the next great thing on tv.

• Gi
      27th of Jun, 2008

IT'S TRUE THE JACK IS CRAP IT DOESN'T WORK AND I TRIED TO SEND IT BACK BEFORE THE 30 DAYS AND CAN'T GET A RETURN # THEY HAVE NO PHONE# SO YOU CAN TALK TO. ALOT OF PEOPLE TELL ME TO GET IT AND I TELL THEM IT DOESN'T REALLY WORK SO I CARRY IT WITH ME ALL THE TIME IN MY CAR AND SHOW THEM ITS A SCAM. I TRIED IT ON ALOT OF COMPUTOR AND IT STILL THE SAME IT DOESN'T WORK.

• Wi
      29th of Jun, 2008

I ORDERED THIS MAQGICJACK AND NEVER GOT IT. THEY TOOK MY 39.95 OUT OF MY ACCOUNT. THIS COMANPY SHOULD BE HELD RESPONSABLE FOR FRAUD AND THEIFT. THERE MUSE BE AWAY TO GET A REFUND.

• Va
      7th of Jul, 2008

I had problems with it so I tried to get customer Service, before I knew that there were not a live customer service, to explain some things for me, but I was unable to contact a live person.

So I ordered the magicjack mess, and not happy that I cannot talk to anyone in a customer service department, and now I know I cannot cancel it. I am afraid that they have my credit union account information and I want to return or cancel magicjack. I do know what to do next, maybe their is a possible connection for this company, but I do not know where to find anything, so please address my concerns.

• Ti
      28th of Jul, 2008

Nightmare. Billed my credit card the same day I ordered over internet. No phone number or return instructions. Sent back to only address I could find (kept original wrapping) with UPS Service charge for delivery confirmation. Still no confirmation so they probably won't accept package and still charge on my credit card. Another PEOPLE PC but at least PC has a class action suit against thema 5f34

• Do
      10th of Aug, 2008

I want to send a E-mail and I want one back...I am not pleased

• Pa
      11th of Aug, 2008

THE 'MAGIC' IS FOR HOW THEY MAKE YOUR MONEY DISAPPEAR AND THE 'JACK' IS FOR HOW THEY JACK YOU AROUND.

I ordered MAGIC-CRAP and during the trial period I was always trying to improve the sound quality - noises, echoes, etc. They were telling me that it was my phone so I bought two different phones with the latest tech, but that did not help. I ran magic fix over and over. They have no customer service. You can tell them that you have done all their fixes 500 times and they say, 'I see" (one of their favorite phrases) and then tell you to do the same thing again. I have spent hours on live chat with them and never got anywhere. They just tell you to do the same thing over and over. Their Live-Chat takes forever-VERY SLOW. I think they are trained to irritate you and get you to give up. After my free trial was up, MAGIC-CRAP stopped working completely. Everytime I tried to use it, I would get a message that said I have to plug MagicJack into a USB port, which it already was. Here is my last chat with them. Some of this might help get MJ files off your computer. (Oh, and when I say that I have done the upgrade 2x, that was just that day.)

wait for a site operator to respond.
    You are now chatting with 'Rizza'
    Rizza: Hello, how may I help you?
    Patricia McNett: At first my MJ worked ok, then I started getting error message -you must connect MJ to usb. I have run magic fix over and over, I have done the fix for the usb error- but I get a blank page with red x. I have gone to java.com and installed current updates etc. HELP It was connecting for a while -now magicfix says no connection
    Rizza: Hi Pat.
    Patricia McNett: hi
    Rizza: I apologize for the inconvenenience it caused you.
    Rizza: Let's try some fixes.
    Patricia McNett: ok
    Patricia McNett: FYI Blue light on- have tried dif USB, unpluged modem, unpluged MJ etc.
    Rizza: Okay, thank you for that information Pat.
    Rizza: Are you able to see the softphone on your screen now?
    Patricia McNett: If you mean the MJ keypad - No If I try to open MJ it says you must plug MJ into USB- which it already is
    Rizza: I see
    Rizza: Please click the link to download and run the magicJack upgrade (applicable for both XP & Vista):
    Rizza: http://upgrades.magicjack.com/upgrade/upgrade.exe
    Patricia McNett: I have already done the upgrade 2x
    Patricia McNett: ruthere
    Rizza: Please retry it.
    Rizza: Yes I am still here.
    Patricia McNett: I pre did run this program -so run or save?
    Rizza: Please run it.
    Patricia McNett: File downloaded but, I am getting - warning -you must plug MJ into USB
    Rizza: I see
    Rizza: May I know what windows operating system are you using please?
    Patricia McNett: XP
    Rizza: Okay.
    Rizza: May I know what service pack please?
    Patricia McNett: 2
    Rizza: Okay.
    Rizza: Now please unplug your magicJack for 15 seconds then plug it back in to another USB port.
    Patricia McNett: done
    Rizza: Okay, do you still see the warning message?
    Patricia McNett: The message does not stay there it goes to the MJ.com page. I just tried to start it again and the same message came up- you must plug MJ into USB
    Rizza: 1Please unplug your magicJack. Now go to "Start" in Windows and click on "run".
    Rizza: 2In there write regedit and press enter.
    Patricia McNett: what?I didn't see the 1st mess -wait
    Rizza: Okay, let me repeat it.
    Rizza: Please unplug your magicJack. Now go to "Start" in Windows and click on "run".
    Patricia McNett: I am in reg editor now what?
    Rizza: Now click on + sign next to HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE.
    Rizza: Click on + sign next to SYSTEM
    Rizza: Click on + sign next to CurrentControlSet
    Rizza: Click on + sign next to Enum
    Patricia McNett: ok
    Rizza: 1Now find folder called USB. Right click on that and click on "Permissions". In permissions click on the check mark called "Allow" to the right of "Full Control".
    Rizza: Click Ok.
    Patricia McNett: ok
    Rizza: Now click on + sign next to USB and then find the two folders called "Vid1307", right click on one at a time and select delete.
    Patricia McNett: I don't see that
    Rizza: Are you able to see other vid folders there?
    Patricia McNett: yes
    Rizza: Okay, right click on one at a time and select delete.
    Patricia McNett: these all have to do with MJ?
    Patricia McNett: the first one Vid_0000&Pid0000
    Rizza: Yes, please right click on one at a time and select delete.
    Patricia McNett: ok thats all 22 of them.
    Rizza: Now click on - Sign next to USB.
    Patricia McNett: right or left
    Rizza: Left click please.
    Patricia McNett: ok
    Rizza: Right click on Folder called USBSTOR and allow permissions.
    Patricia McNett: next to full control?
    Rizza: Now click on + sign next to USBSTOR.
    Patricia McNett: ok, but was that correct ? click next to full control?
    Rizza: No, Right click on Folder called USBSTOR and allow permissions.
    Patricia McNett: I get the same page as w earlier permissions for everyone under that it says full conrol, read, special permissions- and next to these allow deny
    Rizza: Please click on special permissions.
    Patricia McNett: do you mean special permissions / allow/deny
    Patricia McNett: there is also at the bottom -for special permissions or for advanced settings click advanced and that box
    Rizza: Allow please?
    Rizza: Allow please.
    Patricia McNett: when I unclick full control I cannot click on special permissions so I think I have to go to advanced settings
    Rizza: Now click on + sign next to USBSTOR.
    Patricia McNett: there is nothing there that says allow/deny . In permissions it has2 permission entrieswhich both already say allow
    Rizza: Okay, now please try the next step.
    Patricia McNett: I am in USBstor/permissions
    Rizza: Please inform me when you're done.
    Rizza: Okay.
    Rizza: Find the folders called "CdRom&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev" and "Disk&Ven_YMAX&Prod_MagicJack&Rev"
    Patricia McNett: now what?
    Rizza: Right click on those one at a time and delete them.
    Patricia McNett: ok
    Rizza: Now exit Regedit and then plug your magicJack in.
    Patricia McNett: ok
    Rizza: Please inform me when you're done.
    Patricia McNett: I am done-
    Rizza: Okay, do you still see the warning message?
    Patricia McNett: yes
    Rizza: Please try to use another USB port.
    Patricia McNett: I pluged it into another one. Tried to start it and same warning message
    Rizza: I see
    Rizza: You need to reboot your modem and router by unplugging the AC power to them for 3 minutes. Boot them back up and then try again. When your connection is back up try using the magicJacks in a different USB port as well

ALL OF THIS DID NOTHING OF COURSE

• Mu
      23rd of Aug, 2008

I tried to cancel MJ account and could not do it - they only have Live Chat and NO email or phone no. I finally went to credit card company to cancel my order.

6th of Sep, 2008

Cant find a way to return the magicjack.

• Ba
      12th of Sep, 2008

Called phone is not ringing amessage says that V MAIL communication your call was arrested

• Vi
      8th of Oct, 2008

Bad comm., bad quaitiy, and no resolution my contact with the company.6ae7e

• Un
      10th of Oct, 2008

I was a skeptic about this product because of the price-and because I had to sift through all of the negative comments like these from inexperienced people, but I did ALOT of research and felt comfortable ordering it. I have satellite internet, which is the LEAST compatible connection for any voip service-and the magic jack works wonderfully for me.

I had to respond after running across this board, as I'm sure others will stumble on it, and both sides of the fence deserve to be represented. Every single bad review I've seen has been posted by someone who just doesn't know how to fix a problem, and they call it a scam, or a ripoff, or that they were cheated out of their money.

If you have little or no knowledge about computers, firewalls, port exceptions, program compatibility, etc-it's probably not a good idea to buy the magic jack. It is not a scam. People are using them all over the world. It isn't that the magic jack doesn't work-it most certainly does.

Depending on your firewall settings, other programs you have installed on your computer, and quite a few other seemingly unimportant possibilities-you may have to configure something on your machine to work with it. That is not the fault of the product. If you aren't capable of troubleshooting connection issues if they happen to arise-by all means don't get one!

There are a few things that WILL make the magic jack not be able to work at all for you, and if you take the time to do the reading in their faq you would know about it beforehand.

Your isp may block voip! They can do this by blocking communication with the ports that magicjack -or other voip apps-uses. If local laws prohibit them from blocking, they can still degrade by altering your packet data. This is not a magic jack problem, it will apply for any voip service. They also do this to p2p applications, once they see you are using more than your "fair share". Some isp's make you sign a contract prohibiting you from transmitting voice or video. You can know this by calling your isp and asking them if they block voip, or if your bandwidth has a cap-as in a monthly limit. You need to be sure that your internet is fast enough to support voip.

Also, you cannot use this with older versions of windows. Check the details on the magic jack site FIRST, before you order. If your machine is a dinosaur, you don't have ample RAM to run a program like this, or your bandwidth or isp isn't capable or compatible-don't blame the product!

Aside from those two issues, if your magic jack does not work-you can be assured that it is because you don't know how to identify and remedy the issue at hand. Do some googling, ask a question on one of the many user forums, and figure it out. Most of the possibilities will not be answered by the official chat support because it isn't their problem. It's your computer, you are responsible for knowing how it works and how to change the necessary settings. I promise you that if you buy another hardware accessory from WHOMEVER and have compatibility issues, they will offer you general suggestions just as magic jack does-and then shrug their shoulders and blow you off if it is more in depth than that. If you want someone to teach you about advanced networking-go to school...not tech support for a cheap piece of electronics!

It could take days to walk someone who isn't tech savvy through these things. If I were in tech support and every other question from someone I was helping was huh? where's that? i don't see that. don't know what that is. it's not there. is it next to this or this? did i do that right? I would know immediately that there wasn't much hope in getting this person to understand what to do or help me figure out what the problem might be, and I would pretty much give up on them and not be very enthusiastic about getting into any more details-which they would not understand either. What's the point?

I'm not trying to diss anyone who is not knowledgeable about these things. It doesn't mean that you are not intelligent, or not capable of learning or understanding. It just means that you should not venture into things like this unless and until you are. ANY hardware based applications are going to require some technical knowledge on your part, and the possibility of needing to modify some settings on your machine or troubleshoot-and this one is no different.

• Do
      19th of Oct, 2008

all correct, it is a scam, totally, and trying to return it is hell, they will not give you a return # to put on the product, and if u do return it without this stupid #, they get the jack back, but you get no money,

what i did was phone my credit card company, and had it removed from my bill, thats all you can do

try it, it works

• Ke
      29th of Oct, 2008

HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU CONTACT THE "REAL PEOPLE" AT MAGICJACK???

• Ga
      1st of Nov, 2008

I too have a magic jack. I am also an experienced computer programmer.

I plugged in the magic jack and it has worked just fine except for a few things

1. due to me not knowing that the phone number needs to be in the format AAA-PPP-NNNN where AAA is Area code, PPP is prefix and NNNN is the last four digits of the phone number.

2. Kept trying to dial out, but just not dialing ... I finally picked up the regular phone to find that the phone line was down for the number I called. Not a fault of the product.

3. Volume a bit low. Ok, that needs a reconfig on my computer, or is a fault of the lines.

4. The phone doesn't ring. Now I know this happens to be a fault of the phone because another phone I plugged into it did ring ... the phone needs to be powered by plugging it in, batteries or by using an AC powered USB port .. the normal usb port does not carry enough power to make some non-plugin phones ring.

None of these is a fault of the magic jack.

One thing I would like to see, is have it make the computer speaker or sound card ring.

I did NOT get early charged for the magic jack like the first few complainers mention.

I know enough about computers and the technology involved to know when a problem resides with the product and when it resides elsewhere.

Like that person who tried plugging it into several different ports, it is obvious that the problem was her magic jack hardware was malfunctioning, but I was impressed with the knowledge Rizza showed.

I had one chat with a magic jack person, my wait was one minute max. It was quick it was easy.

I have to agree with the poster who said its a lot of folks who don't know enough to solve a problem, but reading all these horror stories about early billing and other things, I find myself wondering how many if any of these folks are being paid or put up to putting up false complaints, even given that some may be not computer experts.

The magic jack is like a kite, if the winds in the area are right, it's great, but if your internet winds are not up to snuff, the magic jack kite won't fly. Its not the fault of the kite, its the winds, but the sheer number of folks saying they were charged early are a bit hard to believe when I note that I have not been charged anything but exactly what they said they would.

I also note a link was right there, easy to see if you log onto their site, that shows clearly about how to cancel and return the MJ.

I would reccommend the MJ to those who I know have good internet connections, and the knowledge to solve simple problems with their computer.

Obviously, you can't be watching steaming video or playing certain online games or downloading gigabytes of stuff, and expect the magic jack to behave as if there were no other traffic on the road.

To expect otherwise, is not reasonable.

• Mi
      4th of Nov, 2008

I plan on ordering the magic jack. If you understand their policy front and back, they say that they will put a 'Hold' on the funds until the 30 days is up. If you do not get a hold of them through their support within the 30 days givin, they will Keep the funds with no refund.

Now what this means is that the funds on 'Hold' are actually taken out of your account and put in their 'Holding Account'
    How else can they guarantee that people are going to actually pay? It may be a bit unorthodox, but it states in their policy and agreement that this is what you are getting yourself into.

I encourage everyone to read the agreements/full information WHENEVER buying anything over the internet.

One thing everyone also needs to realize is that the money WILL be taken out of your account within 3 days of signing up for the trial. This money will be on a 'Hold', in other words you can get a refund within 30 days. But yeah.. I know that they take money within the first 3 days because they tried with me. I didn't have sufficient funds in my account and my overdraft limit is set to 0 (impossible to overdraw).

I will order the magic jack tonight, and get back to this forum after everything has happened in great detail.
    -MindGame

• Da
      18th of Nov, 2008

magicjack has charged my bank account 2 times for my account now i have returnd checks11/17/08

• Mi
      20th of Nov, 2008

I Love the new magic jack. If you understand how everything works then it's an AMAZING product.

The Put a hold on 50 dollars on my account at first (paid for fast shipping + tax + shipping) as expected, but then they refunded it within 3 days. So I was able to withdraw and use the money. I am going to be charged $50 around the 4th of next month. The free trial is just a bit tricky, that's all!

There are just some small problems for me, but so easily worked around.
    Before I had 512RAM on my laptop that had the magicjack. The thing is whenever I played a game like DotA or World of Warcraft, my phone typically didn't ring and whatnot.
    I was planning on upgrading my RAM anyway, so I upgraded up to 2gigs of RAM and now the program runs very smoothly with no lag!

Another problem was that my area code has to be a Seattle area code.
    On the website, they say the area code 360 is available, but when actually applying for a number, 360 wasn't listed (all the other WA codes were)
    So my number is a Seattle number now, which is of NO problem to me whatsoever BECAUSE all of my friends/family/work all use mostly cell phones or other phone plans that have unlimited long distance in US.

I highly suggest this product. I have been using MagicJack for just 2 weeks and its awesome!!!

Also side note - Their voicemail is pretty unique in my opinion. You can save your voicemails into different folders. On top of that, MagicJack sends you an EMAIL of the voicemail! SO EVEN IF YOU MISS %100 OF YOUR CALLS, JUST CHECK YOUR EMAIL AND LISTEN TO THEM ON YOUR COMPUTER SPEAKERS! HURRAY! Hahaha

-MindGame