Magic Property Services / rental fraud

1 8390 Champions Gate Blvd, Ste 314Champions Gate, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 407-968-6633

Instead of writing a long complaint, I am just copying the letter I have written to my credit card company. I would advise anyone wanting to lease from Sarah or Quennie of Magic Property Services to beware!

September 25, 2008

Re: Fraud Dispute

On May 1, 2008, I contacted Magic Property Services, LLC. I was interested in renting a vacation home in the Orlando, Florida area for the dates October 11, 2008 thru October 19, 2008. I found their listing at www.homeaway.com, property listing # 185543. I spoke with a woman named Quennie about pricing and rental information. I agreed to the price of the lease, and we proceeded with the arrangements.

I received an email from her telling me how to pay my deposit via paypal (see enclosed documentation). I signed the rental agreement, and faxed it in. I made a deposit of $312.00 from my credit card into their paypal account (please see receipt). From that point on I assumed my rental was secure and per her letter, they would be in contact with me for the remainder of the rent, due 30 days before check in.

On September 10, 2008 I began calling Magic Property Services to confirm our upcoming rental. I called the [protected] and [protected] cell numbers. No answer. I left messages. No reply. I even text messaged these numbers. I emailed the sfu@dobty.com address that I had received their correspondence from. No reply. Unfortunately I do not have my initial email to send you. At the time I didn’t think about saving a copy because I had not figured out yet this was going to be a mess. But I do have my repeated attempt to contact them (see enclosed letter). I also called Florida information. No listing for such company in Champions Gate, Fl. We found a complaint about this company at https://www.complaintsboard.com (see enclosed print out). I called HomeAway and notified them that a company on their site was not responding to my calls or emails. I spoke with Maddie at [protected]. She said she would try and get in touch with this company.

Yesterday, I decided to call the numbers one last time. Miraculously I got hold of a human. I was very firm that I wanted to speak to someone, and after holding a while, I spoke with Sarah. I asked her what was going on with this company. I asked her about the house we had reserved with our deposit on May 1. She had no information on my rental. She asked me to fax her all the paperwork (contracts, emails, etc) I had on the house rental. I did so, and requested that my deposit be returned. I called after I faxed the information she requested. She said she did not receive the fax (go figure). She informed me that per our contract that unless I notify them within 30 days of the rental date that I wish to cancel my rental, that no deposit refund will be given. I told her that I have been trying to get hold of them via email, phone, etc. for 2 weeks with no response! Due to their lack of response, I was forced to reserve another rental home for my family. Our trip is quickly approaching. I also had to pay another deposit.

I have checked homeaway.com to see if the property was still listed (property #185543). It has been removed. I called and spoke with Maddie again. Due to privacy, all she could tell me is that they are no longer listed on the homeaway website.

I have no confidence that this company will ever return my deposit. I feel like I have more than enough evidence to conclude that I have been a victim of fraud. With your help, I would like my deposit of $312.00 to be refunded to my credit card. Thank you for you help in resolving this matter.

Comments

27th of Oct, 2008

Please carefully read our agreement policy which you signed.

2. Cancellation: If renter cancels reservation, security deposit will be refunded in full only if the cancellation occurs at least two months prior to the check-in date. The security deposit will not be refunded if the cancellation notice reaches owner within a month period prior to check-in date. A written notice is needed in the form of a letter or email. Cancellation occurred within one month of check-in date due to an unexpected health reason is permissible but a doctor’s letter is needed to get the full refund.

• Ro
      26th of Mar, 2009

I have had a similar experince. We had rented a house from Magic in Florida for March 13 - 15 2009. On March 6th I receive an email from Sarah Fu stating that the house that I had rented they had just received a notice from the owner that it just went into a short sale and can not be used. Sarah sent me pictures of another house in the area and said she would put in this house if I was ok with it. I emailed and called and received no response from Sarah. I had direction to the house including the lock box code for the new house. The lock code did not work, the front yard had been dug up and the pool was full of allegey. I was given a couple of phone numbers, one for emergencies and did not reach anyone for three to four hours. We were finally put up in another house and was told we would receive a refund for the problems but I have not heard back from them since. I have email again and called all of the numbers and have yet to receive a response from them and as of todays date 3/26/09 it has been a week.