Magic Chef Oven / F1 Error

My grandmother gave me her Magic Chef smooth top stove she'd purchased in '95 when she couldn't get the cleaning cycle latch to open fully. She didn't want to mess around with fixing it, and so she just bought a new stove. Not having the money that she does I was happy to take her hand-me-down stove which I was able to fix easily myself. Now however, less than a year later I have the infamous recurring "F1" error. It first occurred in the mid-afternoon. Then again, twice, in the middle of the night last night. After reading the numerous accounts of others with this same problem I have opted not to even bother with having the electronic panel fixed since it seems it'll probably just break again anyway. I just bought a Maytag dishwasher, and I was considering the purchase of a Maytag refrigerator as well, but now that I have to get a new stove I doubt I can afford one. I'm going to contact Maytag just to give them an opportunity to respond and hopefully not lose a loyal customer, but if I don't get a satisfying response from them I'm going with another brand.

David
Lansing, Michigan

Da

Comments

• Ba
      25th of Mar, 2008

I'd like to get the word out about Magic Chef wall oven, model #9835VVV. These models are no longer being manufactured, but if you already have one and the electrical panel ceases to work, be forewarned!!

The oven can spontaneously erupt in flames at any time. Ours did while we were, very fortunately, close by and we were able to stop the fire. Had we not been home, or asleep at night, God knows what would have happened. The Diagnostician from Maytag told us that once these panels stop working, they can erupt in flames. Lovely!

Our oven was only 9 years old, which according to the manufacturer (now owned by Whirlpool) is old and not worth much in compensation. (Our previous wall oven lasted 30 years). You can't get parts anymore so repair work is out of the question. The company offered us about $200 but they wanted to take the oven in exchange. You can't even purchase a used oven for that. Inconsiderate Jerks!

This is a cheap, hazardous appliance and should be recalled.

Be Careful!!