Magazine Special Today / unauthorized account deductions

1 1521 Concord Pike Suite 301 Wilmington, DE, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-866-924-4501

Recently I noticed two purchases that I never authorized or made had been recorded on my online checking account.

I called my local Bank office and secured the phone number of the party charging my account and called them. They were not helpful. They said that in order to correct any errors they would need to access my account. But they had no account listed under my name, phone number or address. I was not listed in their system as a customer. The person informed me I would have to give them my debit card number in order to access my account.

I informed them I could not provide this number over the phone since I had no idea who these people were, and for all I knew, they could subsequently raid my account. I asked them if they could tell me anything about the charges and learned that the $3.95 fee was the initial setup charge and the $7.96 fee was the first monthly payment for a subscription to four separate magazines. Since I subscribe to only one magazine and have a fixed income, I would never subscribe to four magazines.

I asked for the name and address for the corporate headquarters and a phone number to contact them. I was informed either that the number could not be given out or that no contact phone number existed.

I then informed them that I would contest the charges with my bank and stop future payments.

I was informed that if I did so I would be turned over to a collection agency and credit reporting agencies, and something else I don't remember. I was told for the fourth time that the only way they would cancel my account in order to stop future charges was if I provided them with my debit card number.

Incidentally, I never received any magazines.

Comments

• Da
      13th of Oct, 2008

I too had a charge ($3.95) posted to my account by Magazine Special Today. I received a letter from them telling me that they would be charging me $14.95 every month for subscriptions to 7 magazines that I never subscribed to.
    This morning I called the phone number that was included with the first charge and talked with a very nice lady that offered to reduce the payment to $7.95 a month. I told her that I didn't want the subscriptions at all and I was told she would take care of the cancellation for me and I will get a letter of cancellation soon. I was not ask for my credit card number but that might have been because I had the order number off the letter I had received. I will believe that the cancellation has been taken care of if /when I receive it and see no more charges to my account. I will post again to let you know.

• Lw
      29th of Oct, 2008

The same thing happen to me The sales person woul not alow me to respond to yes or no so they went ant took money out my account any way. Have not got a magazine or the promotion they promise either.

• Je
      1st of Nov, 2008

I have had this service for 2 years, and have never had a problem. All of these individuals that have complained, spoke to a telemarketer about several different promotions, such as i did. that is how they have thier info. If someone else in the house signed up in thier names, that is where the problems may come from. I tested them the other day by giving them the wrong name, which had zero results when they tried to pull up an account, when i gave them my credit card number, they were able to pull up my account instantly. just because these ###s who say yes, just to get a free gas voucher, then try to cancel, are having problems, try it out for yorselves. i get 4 magazines a month, that would normally cost me about $25.00 for $7.96 a month TOTAL for all 4, not for each, and if i get bored with those titles, i can switch them out for any other magazines that they offer(about 400) with out my price changing and i can do that every month, with no increase in price.

• St
      11th of Nov, 2008

The service might be great IF you have time for the magazines. Their telemarketing is a bit sneaky. Had a call claiming to be from "Visa Rewards" and had severals offer for me to look over thought I was getting info on the service NOT membership. Anyway, when I called to cancel the service person claimed they had shipped the wrong gas card and would be sending me another $100 card to make up the diference. I told them to cancel again and way offered a lower rate. Then told them I still wanted to cancel and she then claimed she would cancel the membership- I hope thats so.

12th of Nov, 2008

Update:

My bank contacted MST and received this explanation: an invalid transaction was linked to another local person's account, then somehow charged to my account by error.

MST refunded the amount within 24 hours & no problems since.

• Es
      28th of Feb, 2009

Same thing happened to me! Exactly!

But even after finding this out does anyone know who to contact to stop sending the magazines. Of course I'm am not going to pay but the 1866-924-4501 number is not in service and i keep getting a ton of mags!!

15th of Mar, 2009
    Magazine Special Today - charges against my acct for products I never ordered
    Magazine Special Today
    310 Howard Ct.
    Hollister
    California
    Phone: 831 245-9337
    theheggman@gmail.com

I did not order anything from this company and their letter says I will have monthly billing against my account in the amount of $24.85. I do not want anything from this company now or ever in the future. I want a refund and request I be taken off their list.
    Thank you.

Jay Hegg

• Je
      23rd of Jun, 2010

anyone with issues should note that the company is in a location at 1000 communication Cir in Virginia beach, Va.. They are called Media Communications Inc...When a person talks with you they are in a small room with the managers. That is their corporate office.. This company is crooked and will ignore everything you say.. If you contact the Virginia Beach city attorneys office they will investigate...If when you are talking with these people and mention the word sue or attorney they will give you your money back and make sure you ask for it ALL, even the 3.95 that they charged at the on set.. The owner of this company looks like a drug dealer and acts like a criminal...If you check out google maps and type in 1000 communications cir you will see their bldg...The corner of Diamond springs and Northhampton blvd...