Magazine Service Center Inc. / Terrible experience!

6125 65th Avenue NMinneapolis, MN, United States Review updated:
Phone: 763-537-6122

Recently our bank account was debited for four automatically renewed magazines. my husband subscribed through this service a year ago in March. it was a special deal. 4 magazines for a set price. One year later with no notification. Our checking account was debited. My husband insists that if there was an automatic renewal feature he would have passed on the original deal. I believe him because we have been burned before on this kind of shenanigan.

After dealing with the increasingly annoying automated voice system, I was able to cancel three of the four. The fourth magazine insisted I sign up for a free gift. Since I didn't want ANYTHING from these people, it took more answering of inane questions before I finally succeeded. Three of the four charges have been credited to my checking account, but I am still waiting on the fourth.

Thanks to Shar from Atlanta who also complained here I was able to obtain all of the info I need to complain to the corporate headquarters. These things are such rip-offs. How much money do they make because people just give up. Talk about endless loops that messaging center is it. Each magazine had to be canceled separately. Necessitating four separate phone calls. never thought to say order new magazines to get an ACTUAL person, but knew that even if I had a live one on the line they would not be able to help me because of corporate policy.

The checking account debited is one we use only for automatic monthly deductions. The four unsolicited debits caused the normally self-sufficient account to cascade into a spiral of overdraft charges. I intend to pursue getting the $156 back from this corporation. I am certain that they have not signature on file authorizing automatic deductions from our checking account for renewals.

I have also been receiving renewal notices in the mail on these magazines. I wonder how many people send a check and get a debit as well. No problem, we will give you another year and a half. What a rip-off.
Va

More Magazine Service Center Inc. Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Ns
  28th of Jan, 2009
Couldn't agree more...same story here (only 2 magazines).
Wl
  27th of May, 2009
My account was debited yesterday. This checking account is through my credit union. After dealing with the phone robot, I followed up with my credit union to see if they had any additional info other than what shows on my account summary. They do not, and since there's no company information, they can't block these charges. So my question was, do I have to close the account? She suggested cancelling the card and having a new one issued. I'll wait to see if my account gets credited and then consider my options. I tried to call the number listed above, but the call could not be completed. These guys are slime.
Ja
  18th of Aug, 2009
I AGREE! i got a "free" subscription to a stupid useless magazine (entertainment weekly- is there REALLY that much information about entertainment??) with no information on how to cancel it. then 2 years later i saw a charge on my credit card account (i don't even know how they got that number?). when i saw the number listed in association with that charge, i called it. i went through this endless number of automated rat mazes to cancel my subscription, which only refunded me $14 for my $22 charge. with NO OPTION to talk to a person. this was AFTER 5 different offers to switch to different magazines, extend different offers, etc, SOMEHOW, i got to talk to someone (i can't even remember how i got there now because i was so furious) and the doofus who answered told me there was nothing he could do because the automated program credited the account and he apparently has less power than this automated bee-otch? aughhhh!

NEVER EVER EVER ACCEPT FREE MAGAZINES FROM STORES!!!
Be
  22nd of Mar, 2010
These transaction are prohibited by state law and the Banks should take affadavits to reverse the calls .They are scams and violate the 3 day right to cancel contract notice law required in most states for home solicitation .Everyone needs to file a complaint with the Stat Attorney Gen Office to create a class violation. this is consumer fraud. I got mine through a college book for addresses of college students. Thought they were contracted through college .Will contact alumni cooordinator about stopping this scam through College.
Ge
  22nd of Jul, 2010
Last August, I received in my e-mail an e-mail that I had won a $1, 000 Wal-mart gift certificate. I clicked on it stupidly, and I was offered magazines. I filled out the application and sat back to wait for my magazines and gift certificate that I thought I could use for needed things at Wal-mart. I waited, waited and waited. Finally, in Nov. they contacted me and I told them I had never received my WAL-MART gift certificate. Note WAL-MART GIFT CERTIFICATE. Within a week, I received a packet with a flyer that says complet form below. I filled that out and looked at the flyer closer. It was NOT a WAL-MART gift certificate, but an on-line location that I would go to and type in a pin. On this site are about 30 items that would not be useful to me. I tried to cancel the subscription, but they told me it was past the time limit. I pointed out to them that I had not received the packet until the week before. They said that they didn't know if that was true or not. Since, they claimm, that it had been sent in August. This magazine services name is Active Periodicals. This was bad enough, but what followed became a nightmare.
We jave been on the "No Call List" since June 2002. We did not call any magazine service to join them. We started receiving calls from magazine services (at least 5) day, night, weekends, didn't matter claiming we weren't paying them. I told them I DID NOT order subscriptions from them. I was on the "No Call List". so they were violating that. They wanted to argue. In Nov. my blood sugar went over 800 and I thought, well I was confused and forgetting things, maybe I actually did agree to this. They said I was on tape agreeing to it. Patriotic Magazine Service said that if I got a letter from my doctor saying that I was not in a mind to agree to any contracts, they would cancel the contract. Heartland magazine service contacted me and I told them of my health problems said that if I sent them a copy of the letter, they also would cancel the contract. Neither have done so and I was turned over to a collection agency by Patriotic.
My checking account started to be overdrafting and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I went to my CU and looking at my account, I found that 4 magazine services were taking money out of my account at over$250 a month. The phone numbers were on some of them. I called the companies I could and they said they also recorded me agreeing to the contract. Out of all of these reader services I have yet to hear a recording. This went on several months with me trying to find help from the dept. of aging and other places with no good result. Meanwhile, the amount taken out of the was mounting. In desperation, I called the attorney general of Missouri and was sent paperwork. One of the companies that was contacted dropped the contract and refunded my money, this was "Readers Choice". I contacted the attorney general again when I noticed that Heartland had not honored my doctor's letter and were still taking money out of my account. I have a copy of a letter sent to the attorney general from them stating that I wasn't interested in their service any longer and wanted to cancel after their 10 day wave service. That definitely was not the case. They did cancel the service.
I received a call from a collection company that was used by Patriotic Readers service. I told them I had never joined them. Once again I was told I was taped, I haven't heard it. I told them of the agreement to cancel the contract after receiving my letter. He wanted to argue. He wouldn't give me the phone number of the service. He told me he would give my comments to them and hung up. I have not heard from him or the service. This took place last week.
Today, for the first time, I received a call from Certified Magazine Service. I have no phone no. nor could I find the service on-line. They claim I joined this service. I told her I have never heard of this company and never had an affiliation with them. I asked her what magazines were supposely sent to me. She didn't know. I told her I had turned other companies ove to Chris Koster's office, the Missouri attorney general and asked her if she wanted to join them. She told me it was a courtesy call and hung up. I automatically went for my sheet to file a claim and sent it off to Mr. Koster. I also called KOMU Television station and stated my case to voice mail and asked them to call me. I am sick, sick, sick! of this! I am 60 years old, on disability and am receiving: Harper's Bazaar, Shape, Women's Fitness, Entrepeneur, Elle and other magazines that I wouldn't even buy a single copy of let alone a subscription! I have been talking to different people and they say such things as, " A friend of mine is in his 60's, a total redneck and is receiving Harper's Bazaar and other ladies magazines. I swore after my mother-in-law was scammed, I would never fall for something like this. These magazine services are like roaches coming out of the woodwork. I can't wait for the TV station to contact me.
Fe
  10th of Feb, 2011
i got a call from this number 6023881335 that i won a $250 gift card and then there asked me to some amount to subsribe for some monthly magazine, there sweet talk me, about the benefits and how to pay for this magazines, i ended up given them my debit card details, but i m no more interested in there so called gift card, because i suspected it was all scam...i will have to call my bank and inform the police about this ... thank you
Th
  7th of May, 2011
I received my first unordered magazine around April 20, 2011.I have e-mailed each of these magazines and the only one to respond was Forbes telling me that they had been ordered for me through a company named Subdirect.I have phoned them to no avail since I cannot seem to get a live person.This is very aggravating to me as I am an elderly blind man and have no need for any of the magazines sent.The only way I know how to get it to stop is to contact the Missouri Attorney Genreral of Missouri.If you do not get any results from this company I suggest you contact him as well.
Lr
  16th of May, 2011
I too have been on a run around all afternoon... three charges for magazines that we did not authorize automatic payments to totally $199.95. These are magazines originally ordered in 2002- 9 years later we are getting charged for them. Does one accept the "samples" until July 15th and then cancell in hope of the money being returned????? HELP... my bank has recommended changing the card numbers so this doesn't happen again if I can't get the company to return funds. Any suggestions?
Ca
  9th of Jul, 2011
This company has twice taken money out of my account. The first time about 1 1/2 years ago, I had received a card with a number to call if I didn't want to renew the magazines. I am dis abled and was dealing with health issues and forgot to call them. After trying to use my debit card and having it decline my purchase, I checked my account and found out that they had renewed four magazines for a total of $220. I called and talked to a gentleman who only wanted to credit me part of my money back. I asked for a supervior and explained my situation. She told me that she would turn it over to their account receiveables office, which refunded me all of my money. Two days ago, I was checking my account in regards to something else and found one charge for a magazine I never received from them. After talking with them for several minutes (press 0 to get pass the automated system and to a person), the gentleman refunded me the money. Yesterday, I was checking my account again and found that they had taken money for two more magazines which I had never ordered through them. It was too late to call them so I will be doing so in the morning. Between the three charges it totals $115. This is a lot for someone living on a fixed income. Who would ever order magazines from them as they charge way more than if you ordered it yourself from the magazine itself. After all of this, I'm going to write the CEO of the company at the corporate office so that my information is totally erased from their system and I won't ever use my card for $2.00 magazines again.
Su
  31st of Oct, 2011
10/20/11
My husband, who is disabled and collecting Social Security, received a phone call from Magazine Service Center. They offered him a $30 worth of gasoline for $5 which he agreed to purchase. This part of the conversation was not recorded by MSC. The confirmation was recorded by MSC and it was spoken as fast as an auctioneer and my husband did confirm. When we saw the bank statement of $49.90 withdrawal for MSC I tried to call the 800 number on the statement but it no longer existed so we cancelled the card. A bill arrived for $1000.00 from MSC with the company’s address and phone number. The address is PO Box 48882 Coon Rapids, MN 55448 and the phone # is 800-972-6520. I called and spoke with the manager (Jerry) and told him my husband purchased gasoline and would never purchase magazines because he does not read. Jerry stated I have him on a recorded confirmation and I said I wanted to hear it. I listened to it at least 5 times and could not understand it because it was spoken so fast as if an auctioneer was speaking. I asked Jerry what was stated in the confirmation so I could write it down. I could finally hear what was stated in the confirmation and it had nothing to do with gasoline. The confirmation was about $1197.60 worth of magazines. When I told him that my husband was disabled and could not possibly understand this confirmation Jerry said “That’s not my problem”. I was hoping that this company could be investigated because it is obviously a scam. If other people complain then they could be investigated. I have listed organizations and phone numbers.
Attorney General Economics Division: Depends on what state.
Department of Consumer Services: 800-435-7352
Federal Trade Commission: 877-382-4357
Jo
  9th of Nov, 2011
This company definitely tries to take your money any way they can. I agree with the original complaint about the automatic renewal process. Same thing happened here. Although I called while the charges were still pending, on a Monday, for 2 of the magazines and received a confirmation number and was told I'd be getting a full refund and 2-3 complementary issues. I called back on Thursday and spoke with another rep and cancelled the 3rd one and received the same info and he confirmed the 1 request for refund was in for me. I waited a week even though they said the refunds would take 72 hours. The 1st 2 magazine refunds were never received and the 3rd one was not fully refunded, they shorted the refund by $2.42. So I called back. The rep I spoke with that time said he couldn't find any such cancel number and would process it now. However, he wanted to prorate my credit, and give me 60days more for $2, then if I cancelled before the 60days I'd be refunded in full. I said no thank you I haven't been reading the magazines, I would take the full refund now and did not want anymore issues. He said in that case it would still be a prorated amount...but the next 2 issues would be complimentary. HOW ARE THE ISSUES COMPLIMENTARY, BUT THEY ARE STILL CHARGING ME?! I told him that didn't make any sense and I told him he could keep the issues and I wanted my full refund. He said he couldn't do that, that I wold have to take the extension and then cancel with in the next 60 days. I then asked..."so if I agree and you process this, I can call back tomorrow and cancel the extension and receive a full refund then?" He said yes. LOL I told him that was silly, that I understood that his job was to keep people subscribed and then if they forgot to call back then they would be charged again, but I assured him that I was one of those people who would call back 'tomorrow' and that didn't make any sense since I don't want the issues. I told him to save the magazine the expense of the issues and issue me my full refund now. He finally had to talk to a manager and said he would give me my full refund. But...he could not help me with the 3rd magazine's prorated refund rate and he would pass that info on to a billing agent. If this isn't the worst way to try to keep business and.or keep peoples money, I'm not sure what is.
Ma
  18th of Sep, 2012
9/18/12 same problem. 5 magazines charged glamour, cooklight, essence, esquire. Not only did they charged my account 2x. partially credited back some of the fees. Called back spoke to Lauren the person who took the call describes herself as an overflow account operator. Supervisor Darius came on phone said they are not a scam. If you purchased magazine from them they will automatically debit your account for the money every year without your authorization. No renewal required. This company is Magazine Services Center PO box 1329 Newburg, NJ 12550. The company doing this which is not listed anywhere is called Synapse 255 High ridge rd; Stanford, Connecticut 06905. The manager I spoke to is Darius 855-296-3175; Billing Department for customer service 207-866-6099. There is a list of department and every department is located at a different state and no one seems to know what anyone else is doing. Please do not buy magazine from magazine customer services. They will clean out your account. They said they are not a scam.
Dw
  26th of Sep, 2012
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You are all so incredibly stupid. When you sign up for your risk free trial it says in the small print, CONTINUOUS SERVICE. Call to cancel. Get all the information before you blindly hand over your credit card information.
Th
  20th of Jan, 2013
A+ rating with the better buisness bureau hahaha even on the board too...read the fine print idiots...how dumb can you be>???
Ha
  1st of Aug, 2013
These people just called me.. at WORK :/ At first it was $1.85 for the S&H for four magazines that I did not have to pay at the time. Then, the supervisor called me up, now $1.85 per magazine per month which would total roughly $90.00 per year. I let her know that I was not interested anymore and that I have no need for $90.00 worth of magazines. The supervisor became rude all of a sudden saying I had already given my consent and that I was pretty much making a big deal out of the cost. I let her know that I AM NOT INTERESTED and will not give my debit card number over the phone. If these magazines or anything comes to my house, I will put 'RETURN TO SENDER' in big bold letters!!! I will not be giving them a dime!