Magazine Reader's Service / Magazine subscription

In November 2007, I renewed my subscription to National Geographic through Magazine Reader's Service [protected]) via telephone. As my current subscription did not run out until December 2008, I asked and was assured that the new subscription for 3 years would not start until January 2009.
In June of 2008, I started getting renewal notices from National Geographic so I called them to see if they had any information on my renewal. They did not.
Magazine Reader's service to make sure that I was still on schedule to continue, or begin, the new term. I was assured that the subscription information had been forwarded to National Geographic. I was also told that they, Magazine Reader's service, would submit another notice to the magazine to make sure.
Well, I kept getting renewal notices and made the same phone calls to National Geographic and Magazine Reader's service with same results. This happened 3 times between June and November of 2008.
Finally, I called again, today, December 15, 2008, and again national Geographic had no information about a continuation or new subscription and Magazine Reader's Service offered to resend the notice. However, it would take 4-6 weeks for the subscription to begin. This was/is unacceptable so I asked the service for a refund and renewed with another service whom I have been with for 17 years with excellent service.
Now I have to wait and see if Magazine Reader's service actually makes the refund!
Although I feel this is a scam, they have answered their phone everytime I have called and they acknowledged the November 2007 transaction.

Comments

Ra
  27th of Mar, 2012

(1) 6 Months ago I called (1-800-459-6623) to cancel and was told I couldn't cancel.
(2) After 3 months, I began getting threatening phone calls every day all hours, Mafia style.
(3) I expected to have a rap on my door with an armed collector, this would have been fine as I have license to carry a weapon and would have defended myself with quick response.
(4) I am a 73 old retired business man having owed and operated 4 different businesses therefore I don't and did not order Entrepreneur Magazine.
(5) I live in a one bedroom apartment thus I don't need and did not order Organic Gardening Magazine or Better Homes and Gardening.
(6) At my age, I don't and did not order any type of girly magazine.
(7) At my advanced age, disabled, don't and not order Fast Times.
(8) I agreed to have the payment deducted from my checking account. I did not review this account as I should have and when I did, I discovered that they were taking out the payment 3 times each month. I immediately closed that account. That is when the calls began all hours of the day and night, many calls each day and the threatening mail began. These people are thieves with no scruples. I was not given credit for the times they deducted excessive payments. They used my account with impunity.
I am taking the bank statements, along with the letters to the Better Business Bureau and the Texas Attorneys Generals office for their checking on this dubious company.
I am registering my formal complaint with both agencies.
Please, for you own good, stay away from this company at all cost.

Ralph E. Layne
Austin, Texas

Sy
  9th of Oct, 2012

Please cancell anything I had to do with your company. I didn't NOT okay this transaction and my bank account has taken out $3.34, I WANT IT STOPPED IMMEDIATELY!!!
Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

So
  20th of Nov, 2012

I would like to have my due date changed so that I won't have to pay a late fee. This is my second request.

So
  20th of Nov, 2012

I don't want to have to make this request again. Please pay attention to my request.

Br
  7th of Oct, 2014

Today I received a call from these people Magazine Publishers Services Canada. They fed me all the information on how I would receive a diamond watch, and I'm a preferred customer blah, blah blah. At the end of the conversation when we talked about billing and amount I kindly told her that I was no longer interested and she got very upset with me because I didn't want to continue with the order because I could NOT AFFORD the amount that they wanted me to pay. When I told her I was no longer interested she said "what do you mean your not interested, you went all through this with me and 'Bob' I stated that yes I did but I was no longer interested in receiving the magazines. They had all my personal information on file including my email, home address and bank card information. When I asked how they had this information they said they had it from a previous purchase. I NEVER EVER purchased any kind of magazine online from anyone at any time. I repeatedly told her that I was NOT INTERESTED and finally very ignorantly she said "FINE THEN and hung up on me. She was IRRATE that I would not confirm the subscription. WHEN I LOOK AT MY BANK ACCOUNT TODAY THERE WAS A WITHDRAWL OF THE EXACT AMOUNT THE LADY TOLD ME IT WOULD COST ME TO RECEIVE THIS SPECIAL LOCKED IN PRICE. THEY WENT AHEAD AND TOOK THE MONEY OUT WITHOUT BEING GIVEN THE AUTHORIZATION TO DO SO. HOW DO I GO ABOUT GETTING MY MONEY BACK FROM THESE CROOKS. I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT THIS HAS HAPPENED. AT NO POINT WAS SHE EVER GIVEN PERMISSION TO PROCESS AND GO THROUGH WITH THE ORDER. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME WITH THIS SITUATION!!!

Ma
  23rd of Jan, 2015

I was given a call on Thursday Jan, 22, 2015 while I was Driving. I thought it was NME Who I've been with for 5 yrs. I tried to Call but Customer Service but were closed this was on a Friday and I only have 3 days to Cancel but I won't get to them till Monday which will be 4days & I don't know if they will Honor the Cancel My Order. I already get to Many Magazines I don't want anymore. PLEASE CANCEL MY SUBSCRIBION!

Ke
  12th of Jul, 2016

I called today to cancel my service and the said they could not cancel it because I was past the 10 day cancellation date.
What unmitigated @##@#%^%))!!

Ke
  12th of Jul, 2016

Once again words will not adequately express my displeasure with Magazinereadersservice!@$#@%%!!!