Magazine Readers Service / Awful company

1 Review updated:

I paid for a subscription for a magazine through Magazine Readers Service, PO Box 25, Byron CA 94514. I sent my payment electronically in June '08, it is now Oct '08 and have not received a magazine yet. A month ago I sent a letter to the company's PO box and heard nothing back. There was no phone # or physical address for further contact info.

Comments

• Go
      Jul 24, 2009

Big scam program. Don't get caught by them.
    Listed as Magazine Readers Service, Sandusky Ohio 44870

Aug 10, 2009

I recently recieved a phone call offering me Magazines PLUS a $1, 000 on line shopping spree. I get 5 magazines for 5 years.
    At first the lady told me I get 2 free magazines. Then it became 5 and I would only have to pay $15 a month for 60 months. Then when I spoke to her supervisor it was $33 a month for 30 months. I can not use the shopping spree until I send in my 2nd payment. Then it will be to late to cancel if I am not happy.
    I have 6 days from today to cancel. Still a little worried.
    The company is America's publishers service.
    www.magazinereaders.com
    Any one know about this company?????

• Un
      Aug 24, 2009

I actually work for the company and I can tell you they are not a scam. I hear people saying this and that but they get your permission and at-will participation before anything. And these people agree to the terms. So people lets not play the victim.

Sep 02, 2009

I strongly agree with these complaints. I ordered TV Guide and have yet to receive my first copy. Unfortunately, I didn't keep any contact info for them. If anyone knows how to get in contact with them, can you please send me their phone number? Thanks!!

Sep 28, 2009

I strongly agree! A few weeks ago I received a call from the company saying they were calling on behalf of a Visa dream sweepstakes. They told me Visa had given them my info and that I was a winner. They told me I could pick 5 subscriptions for free! After I had agreed to have the magazines sent, they told me my bill was actually $39.31 for 66 months! At that point I told them I wanted to cancel. I didn't really want the magazines, and I cannot afford that price. I am a poor college student! They told me they had already made a financial obligation to the magazine publisher, and I had agreed to pay, so I couldn't get out of it. I was very frustrated, so I called Visa. Visa said they never give their customer's information to third parties - at this point, I realized that I had been stupid enough to get scanned. I tried to call them on the numbers they provided, and it went to a voicemail saying the number had not been set up. I wasn't gonna waste my time, so I called Wells Fargo and told them, and they closed my credit account immediately.

All was good until today when I checked my accounts online and saw that they had billed me on my new card! I immediately called Magazine Readers Service and they told me the same thing they said originally - I had to pay because they promised the publishers I would. They offered to lower my payments, or I could resolve it in a lump sum (around 400 dollars)

I tried to stay calm but I was pissed. I tried to reason with them. I said I felt scammed. They did not care.

I called Wells Fargo again and it's now in the dispute department. I hope this is resolved soon. I just feel stupid for falling for it.

• Sc
      Oct 08, 2009

Yes, this company or I should say the telemarketers are a piece of work. The same thing, they offer you this 1000 shopping spree (its all JUNK) and you have pay 5$ shipping for Each item you order, which tallies up fast. Remember, the stuff is junk to start with.
    They record you, trick you into answering the questions they selectively record. I fell for it also, and I have to say...never AGAIN. I think the company is legit, you do get the magazines but the sleazy sales team is where my complaint comes in. It seems they are separate from the magazine company. HANG UP...DONT answer any questions...the deal will cost you about 1200.00 in total, the 1000 shopping spree is JUNK. It doesnt add up.

• Yo
      Oct 14, 2009

The same thing happend to me, and they called me today and said that if i did not agree to pay them that they would report me to a higher credit service and that my failure to pay would be documented on my credit report. They are very rude and I doubt they have even heard of the word perfessionalism. I am a full time college student and I do not have hundreds of dollars to waste on magazine I wouldnt read even if I actually had recieved them. I had to cancel my debit card with my bank and I filed a fraud report, yet they are still calling me.

• Co
      Oct 14, 2009

I got scammed also!!! same as a college student! i feel like they target us!
    if there anyway to stop paying in total or get out of the contract? are there any legal issues i may face by not paying!? I canceld my card and about to cancel my bank but i dont know what to do
    HELP!

• Tk
      Oct 14, 2009

Magazine Readers uses high pressure sales. They have a D minus rating with the Better Business Bureau. My daughter (who is a college student) had a "contract" with them and we recently canceled it. Despite what they tell you, you can terminate the contract. Once you've told them you are terminating the contract, you owe them nothing from that point forward. Step 1. Call and tell them you are terminating. Period! At that point it is against the law for them to tell you that you owe them money. Step 2. Send a Certified/Return Receipt letter stating the same thing. You will owe them for any magazines received. Contact the Better Business Bureau in Toledo at the following number. Toll Free [protected]. They will give you valuable information and help, directing you in the steps you need to take. Magazine Readers telephone is - 1.866.717.6528 or 1.877.608.2470. Address is - Magazine Readers, 1N Superior St, Sandusky OH 44870.

• To
      Dec 11, 2009

These people are con-artist plain and simple. They start with a bunch of fast talk and promise you jewlery and chances to win sweepstakes for thousands of dollars and the next thing you know they are talking about how much you are going to be paying and for how long. Its got me really upset but im going to try to cancel my (contract) and see where it gets me. Thanks to tkc23 for the info.

• Lv
      Feb 21, 2010

These people are complete scammers and for the person that works for that responded to this, YOU ARE A SCAMMER AS WELL!!! At first I was talking to this really nice lady and there was a sweepstakes drawing and the prize was either $25, 000 or a 2010 (or 2009) Ford Mustang. I am obsessed with Mustangs so I just wanted to enter for the car. But then she's all "well we're offering you 3 free magazines you just have to pay for shipping" and I went along with it. But then the supervisor gets on the phone and I feel like I'm in an auction or something!! She was talking so fast and crap and recording me saying stuff. When I tried to cancel before the 6 days were up, they tried to tell me that I couldn't so I cancelled the card that they had. They've been calling me every single day every few hours to get a new card number and I'm not giving them a damn thing!!! I told the guy that I had another card but it's through me and my husband's military bank account and we only use it for important bills. He had the nerve to tell me "well you need to give me the number to that card because this is an important bill". First off, no one NEEDS magazines, therefore it's not an important bill. Second, I'm not about to pay for nothing else from them because they're liars. Their "free gift" (which was a diamond watch) wasn't free. You had to pay for it. If they call you, immediately hang up the phone or else you'd be setting yourself up for failure.

Mar 01, 2010

I fell for the damn thing too. They set you up to feel like you've won something, and then hit you with charges etc. I was given no name of the company or contact info. I waited for a letter to arrive from the company. As soon as I received it (5 days after the order was placed) I called. They said that I was able to cancel the service, but I would have to pay for the first month, as I was financially obligated and they had already paid their part to the magazine companies. Again, this is only 5 days after I had officially signed up, and I had no way of contacting them beforehand. After enough arguing with the customer 'service' representative, she agreed to refund my first months payment ($68.28), told me to have a nice day, and hung up. She obviously wasn't happy that I stayed scammed.

Mar 01, 2010

Whoops, correct that to didn't stay scammed, haha

• Sl
      Mar 12, 2010

I got scammed also and they've recently started calling from unavailable numbers trying to get me to pay the rest of it off, making me think it's even more of a scam, so now I need to go talk to my bank.

Mar 16, 2010

I saw that my last post was 194 days ago. Never did get a single issue of my TV Guide. Went the SAFE route and contacted TV Guide directly. A little more expensive, but the magazines come regularly and no rude person to deal with. My heart goes out to everyone above who has had to deal with them. Funny thing - I just got another letter from them offering me a "great deal to renew my TV Guide subscription." Yeah, right!!! At least now I have an address and I can contact BBB and turn them in! Revenge - so sweet it is!!!

Mar 16, 2010

I should have replied to this long ago. I couldn't get them to cancel my contract until I contacted the Better Business Bureau. They took care of it for me, and credited my account everything they owed me.

• Sh
      Apr 01, 2010

We received a call from this company asking to confirm our names and address so they could enter us into a "free" drawing of $50, 000, send us two free airplane tickets, and five free magazines at no cost. That was all the information I gave them, my name and address. A couple days later, we started seeing a few charges in our online bank account. One was $39.87 and the other said "Miscellaneous Debit" for $10. We contacted our bank and they told us the charged were from a company called Magazine Publishers Service. The Bank told us that Visa would refund the money since we didn't order the magazines. We contacted the company and we were told that they had no record of us placing an order. Our names didn't even come up. Then they wanted our debit card number so they could look up our information. We quickly refused and decided to call back another day, so we called them back today after we finally received some literature in the mail. There were no magazines or plane tickets, only a list of magazines that they offered and a list of magazines that we had "selected". After telling the woman four times that I didn't want to change my service and that I only wanted to cancel my subscription, she kept trying to get me to take more magazines. I finally got her to cancel my subscription and she didn't sound too happy about it. Oh well, find a different job...

• Be
      May 10, 2010

I was contacted by a nice young lady about magazines for 60 months if I paid the first 30. Not a day later someone else calls me to confirm the order. However the second price was higher. I thought it had to be the same company because the name was the same. Next thing I know I am paying for 2 accounts. A few months later I was contacted by yet another person. They were again seeing if I would like to change the magazines I had. Then the next thing I know I have three accounts going. When I called to tell them I didn't need all those payments and magazines they reduced the price. However they failed to mention that that would then cost me 60 months in payments. When I finally had had enough I called and they told me I had opened 2 different accounts not conjoined with each other. I told them I had only received 1 of each magazine so I felt I had more than paid for this service. Suddenly they say that I was buying an extension of the original subscription. They knowingly were selling me the same product over and over without feeling any regret. I did get ahold of a nice lady from the collection dept. that admitted it was a scam, but she could do nothing. I am refusing to give them another dime. If it goes to collection I will fight it. I personally think maybe we should all get together and file a class action lawsuit for misrepresentation and emotional damages!!

• To
      Jun 18, 2010

Please post an address or phone number for this company so I can take action against them for my claim. I can't get any info from them. I want to block them on my phone but the number is "unavailable".

Jun 18, 2010

I don't understand how the hell some of you could agree to pay $60/mo for 60 months for "free" magazines. Insane. Go to bestdealmagazines.com for damn near free subscriptions - they will sell your name, but who doesn't? You get really cheap subscriptions in return. I spent about $200 about two years ago for about 20-30 different subscriptions and they are still coming.

Here's the contact info for the company currently ripping you guys off. It's only a PO Box, but there are tools online to find out where the box is located. You're welcome.

Registration Service Provided By: Ron Allen Enterprises

Creation date: 25 Oct 2001 16:17:26
    Expiration date: 25 Oct 2011 16:17:00

• Sc
      Jun 18, 2010

I dislike how the company is saying that I'm in 5 years in contract with them, but the man that talk to me before told me that i can CANCEL anytime. I am very disappointed of their lack of service and lies.SCAM. What would be the best way for them not to contact me ever again. I hate being in debt with this kind of company who don't keep their words. Lowering the payment doesn't help. I really need them out of my life NOW.

• Ro
      Jun 21, 2010

I have just received my
    Christmas Gift Sale Renewal
    form - there is no self-
    addressed envelope to mail my gift form
    back in and no address on the flyer!!!
    This must be a mistake - I would
    like a new form sent with an
    envelope enclosed to mail back
    the form - Thank You
    Rosemarie Sola
    28 Beacham Avenue
    Saugus, MA 01906

• Su
      Aug 18, 2010

So, I made it so they can't get any more money from me, done the call in cancellations and the mail in, but I'm still getting more magazines from them. They call me and ask me if I'm getting anything and I tell them I canceled, they say I didn't.

They should probably get the hint of them not getting any money from the now dead card and stop sending me stuff. Or calling me. I'm just not sure what to do about still getting the magazines. Unless they are just the 5 they owe me, since there was already a first payment.

This company is bad. They don't seem to communicate with each other or they just lie to you. Either way, it's bad, don't fall for it. I sure won't ever fall for something like this again.

• Mr
      Feb 01, 2011

Guess what?! The Magazine Service people from PO Box 25 in Bryon CA are still at it!

My suggestion to you all is to never deal with them or give them a penny of your $$. If you have - Call your bank, stop that check, call up your debit/credit card company and end it now! You have the legal right to end it - especially if you never received a product(s) or service(s) from them!

The fact they are utializing the United States Postal Service (USPS) or other means of communication (i.e., the phone or Internet) to commit a fraud - it is in violation of the law!

Contact the following agencies to report them:

USPS [protected])

Federal Communication Commission [protected])

The Better Business Bureau

Hope this was helpful - good luck and watch out!

• Le
      Feb 17, 2011

Thank you Thankyou THANKYOU!!! too the people on here. I am rid of MRS. I had to threaten them and they hung up on me multiple times but I contacted the BBB in Hudson FL, called them back until I found a legit # and demanded a subscription cancelation number. The BBB will most likely get a refund for me but who cares, they are out of my life and I could just do backflips right now! I could write a book detailing what I've been through in the last year with this company but suffice it to say DO NOT BACK DOWN! Send a certified letter, contact the Better Business Bureau and call them back on every phone number they have left you on voicemail until they answer and you will be free of this BS...

• Na
      Jun 01, 2011

4/1/2011 my mother sent a $50.00 check for 24 issues of True Story Magazine to:
    Magazine Service
    P.O. Box 25
    Byron, CA 94514
    It is now 6/1/2011 and she hasnt received anything from them.
    I contacted the published and the magazine is no longer in production AND since there is no way of contacting magazine service, they cannot get in touch with them. THeir advise is to file claims with the Better Business ureau in CA and with the Attorney Generals office in CA and in PA where we live. This company is a SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!!
    I did find out that it is run/operated by a Dennis and/or Pat Ward who, not surprisingly has done this before. Well you picked the wrong old lady to victimize...we're coming for her $50.00 and we will take it however we can get it...cash or blood.

Jul 28, 2011

This company has been out of business since 2004 and has continued to take the peoples money such as myself. They signed me up without my permission after harassing phone calls throughout the week. After using profanity and calling them every name in the book that is what ended the calls but started my subscription I assume. The following information is their business information (because I am a contractor and can pull their intel at free will) if you choose to file anything in reference to this. As well their phone number in Florida is [protected] but seems all hours of the day in a standard M-F week they state that you must call back during regular business hours?? Good luck.

Florida Profit Corporation
    MAGAZINE READERS SERVICE, INC.
    Filing Information
    Name & Address
    Title P
    GRIFFIN, JAMES R

Aug 24, 2011

I Think that The Magazine Reader's Service Center in Miami, FL is a big scam!!!

Aug 24, 2011

I think that this company should refund the $$$ to the People of the U.S. back!!!

• Mi
      Sep 29, 2011

my name is michael speis, i to fell for this scam, so for they have taken 2 payments of $24.53 thats $49.06 all i've received so for is 2 magezines nothing else, no paper work explaining anything, I could of got my own subscription cheaper and faster, i took the liberty of canceling them from taking any more from my acount. don't you like when you call them they're always closed! try at [protected])- email me and let me know, at [protected]@gmail.com

Nov 28, 2011

I live in Florida and I just fell for this too. The funny thing is I was just a month and a half removed from having to get a new debit card because somebody had stolen my number and tried to use it (thankfully the company they ordered the stuff from called to confirm and when I said NO poof!!! the order was canceled with no money changing hands) but the card comes with info on security. One thing it says is don't give any information out over the phone Unless you initiate the call.

It was always MRS calling me. When I'd try to answer it the call was disconnected . I used caller ID to call them back but it kept giving me a busy signal. I canceled my subscription the same day when I saw the $68.28 (unemployed, can't afford it) The money which showed on my bank statement as having already been withdrawn was put back no problem. today 5 days later, I get a letter from them "explaining" my order. I call the number on their and they tell me my account is still active. After some verbal hand wringing they agree to waive the "reduced payment options" and cancel the order altogether with no money TAKEN. Don't know if I'm out of the woods yet have to wait and see. Calling the bank after typing this to see if I need to cancel card or not since no money changed hands (YET!!) '

Also a word of caution when I "signed up " for this my info was also given to a company called United Benefits Advantage. they charge a $29.99 membership fee that I had to cancel and get refunded as well. Based on what I read when I looked UBA up online, I see tons of complaints just like the ones on this site almost as if the companies were the same company. Watch your bank accounts after you get out of whatever mess these people put you in. Or cancel whatever number you gave them be it a checking account or debit card number. sorry this went so long got carried away.

Nov 28, 2011

Can't cancel my card just Yet even though probably should. the reason is that while MRS has not charged me and have canceled (so they say) I have to wait for the refund from UBA to come back since that is where it was taken out. I will watch my account like a hawk until the 4-10 days it takes for the UBA money to be refunded to me. After that I will cancel the card.

• Al
      Jan 12, 2012

1/18/2011 I sent a $50.00 check for 24 issues of True Story Magazine, for my mom, to:
    Magazine Service
    P.O. Box 25
    Byron, CA 94514
    It is now 1/12/2012 and she hasnt received anything from them.
    I have heard rumors that the publisher and the magazine is no longer in production AND since there is no way of contacting magazine service, they cannot get in touch with them. I also heard that they advise people to file claims with the Better Business bureau in CA and with the Attorney Generals office in CA and in PA where we live. This company is a SCAM, SCAM, SCAM!!!

Mar 05, 2012

I have M. S. and am elderly. A woman called last night when I was dozing off to sleep. I amust have agreed to some thing bcause a price was listed on my checking account. I have dealings with this company before and nothing was positive. The only course of action for me was to cancel my card. I am still geting magazines that I don't read or want to. My income is very tight for any other expenses. I am at a loss of what to do to stop these people from taking advantage.

• Ka
      Sep 25, 2012

THIS COMPANY CALLED MY MOTHER OFFERING HER A FREE WATCH FOR A 30 DAYS FREE TRAIL AND MY POOR MOTHER ACCEPTED IT, THIS WAS ABOUT 3-4 MONTHS NOW AND MY MOTHER YET TO RECEIVE HER FREE WATCH OR MAZAINES. ALL THIS COMAPANY KEPT ON DOING IS TAKING OFF $66 EVERY MONTH FROM HER CREDIT CARD AND WHEN MY MOTHER CALLED THEM TO CANCEL THEY TOLD HER SHE COULD NO LONGER CANCEL. ITS BEEN 4MONTHS NOW AND MY MOTHER HAVE YET TO RECEIVE 1 MAGAZINE SO I TOOK IT UPON MYSELF TO CALL THIS COMPANY AND THEY WERE SO RUDE, I ASK WHY ARE THEY CHARGING MY MOTHER $66 EVERY MONTH AND NOT SENDING HER ANY MAGAZINE, HEAR WHAT THE GIRL TOLD ME NOW, WELL SHE HAVE TO WAIT 18 WEEKS BEFORE SHE RECEIVE HER MAGAZINE, 18 LONG WEEKS AND THESE ###ING PEOPLE TAKING MONEY FROM A DISABLE WOMAN WHO CAN BARELY SERVIVE FROM WHAT LITTLE INCOME SHE GETTING. i AM SO ANGRY BECAUSE MY MOTHER CHANGE HER CREDIT CARD AND THESE PEOPLE SOMEHOW GOT HOLD OF THE NEW # AND STILL TAKING MONEY. I WISH TO GOD SOMETHING CAN BE DONE TO THESE WICKED PEOPLE WHO'S ROBBING THE POOR, EVERY TIME YOU CALL THERE SOMEONE ELSE IS TELLING YOU A DIFFERENT STORY, MY HEART MELTS FOR MY MOTHER BECAUSE I SEE HER IN TEARS OVER THIS BIG MISTAKE SHE MADE. HERE IS THERE # IF ANYONE WANTS TO CALL AND COMPLAIN, WHICH BASCIALLY WILL NOT GET YOU ANYWHERE [protected]

• Ka
      Apr 12, 2013

I feel the same way, I want to cancel this crap, I just got my bill again, 50 some odd last month they took from me, and now 67.39 again, and I have not got one thing from them... SCAMMMMMMMMMMMERS I will be calling my mastercard and canelling it out.. didnt even get the watch they told me I was getting.. SCAMMMMMMMMMMMERS

• 54
      Jun 24, 2013

Okay I work for Readers Service. Only I live in ***** and we are not a scam. First off when someone calls you and offers you a free watch or something similar DONT BUY IT! When we call we strictly tell you what you are buying and we DONT offer a free gift. Second we only call customers that are already getting magazines and we offer to change your magazines to different titles because we offer over 200 magazines and this is FREE of charge. Second when we do sell something or renew a subscription they will RECORD the converstaion for your protection and it will be kept on record. You will be asked to tell us who you are buying the magazines from(readers service) how many payments you are making and how much you are paying each payment and for how mant months. If they don't record your transaction it is most likely a scam. ALSO it can take anywhere to 3 MONTHS for your magazines to come in. We have millions of people reciving magazines and lots more that sign up each day. And like anything you mail order it will take a little while. Mail is a little slow. ALSO when we call you MIGHT still have time before you need to renew if you only have one magazine you buy. If you do renew this will be added on to the end of your current contract. Say your contract ends in 2014 and you buy for 2 years it will pick up in 2014 and you will be good till 2016. ALSO if you purchased over the phone and you fill out and mail it in. That AUTOMATICALLY opens a second account and you will still have to pay for the one you agreed upon. Which we will you inform you of if you buy from us. I really hope this helps clear some stuff up. Also please dont be rude. If you are not interested simply tell us No Thank You and hang up. If you dont want us to call just make it so 800 numbers or blocked calls are automatically blocked from your call list. Its that simple.

• Gm
      Mar 12, 2014

I am a victim of this scam as well. And I too fell for the "free gold watch". I called the bank twice but told me they can't do anything until I cancel my account from this company. I have called the number that the bank gave me but of course in my 45 times attempt of contacting them through phone and purposely called them different times during their "business hours" none of them got through.

I have been charged twice now totalling $132 Canadian dollar. I have no idea how else I am going to get out of this freud if my bank alone won't help me :(

Please help me

Aug 26, 2014

You are correct a complete scam, and i fell for it as well, i am paying $70.00 a month for a year and guess what i received 2 magazines, they said it will take 12-16 weeks bull. i am going to contact Legal advice, they have us recorded on the phone who cares i am sure a Lawyer can help get this resolved.

• Em
      May 21, 2016

This company is a total scam..Magazines/Santa Rosa..A man phoned me and promised me my name would be held for a sweepstakes draw, and I'd receive 5 to 8 magazines over the next year. I have never received any magazines, or the diamond watch, they promised me. I gave my American Express #, and they have charged me, $230.42, and now $84.58. I've been in touch with American Express and not only will I not pay, for this..I will cancel my card. The person above who says she works for this company, and it isn't a scam. Of course we gave our information, willingly. We expected to pay a certain price and receive magazines, for this price. NOT getting anything and paying astronomical statements. I can't afford this, n'or will I continue to be ripped off, by this company. I intend on phoning there on Monday, and rest assured, I better find a solution. BIG SCAM!