Magazine Burst / Scam charges

United States Review updated:

The site advertised 5 magazine subscriptions for $27.00. There was no indication that there would be in any other charges. Within 5 minutes, my bank account showed a charge of $92.00. Please note that I was led to this site by responding to a 'Claim Your $1, 000 Walmart Gift Card' email. Since I did enter the legitimate contest that Walmart is hosting, I did not realize the email was a scam.

I had to report my card as stolen to prevent any further charges and I intend to vigorously contest this charge on my account to the full extent of the law.
Va

Comments

Je
  7th of Nov, 2008
I also fell into that trap. I later called their customer services and asked why I had been charged $97 and they said they applied shipping charged for the rest of the year. before I had bought the magazines I thought shipping was included, I was fooled and I wont be fooled again.
Je
  14th of Nov, 2008
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Dear Alexya,

I apologize for the trouble you have had with my company, Magazine Burst, and I believe I can help you to rectify this situation. Please call to speak to a customer service representative at 886-624-2877 as soon as possible. By providing us with some basic information, such as your name and zip code, we can look up your account to clear up any problems. If you are unsatisfied in any way, we will reasonably terminate your order and provide refunds. To better understand the charges to your account, please see our details and terms at https://www.magazineburst.com/TC45195dFive.php.

Sincerely,
Jeff Berman
Direct of Customer Service
jberman@publicationsmax.com
Sa
  11th of Mar, 2009
I too was scammed by this and calling customer service did nothing. I spoke to a woman named Linda, she was rude and incompetant. I was charged 91.84, had no idea why, called the company the same day I placed the order to cancel it. They said I would receive a confirmation email, and I never did. I have called 3 times since the 27th of Feb. I still have no confirmation email or refund. I reported them to the better buisness bureuu. I asked for a letter to take to my bank because I want this taken care of now, and not when the company can scrape enough money together to make it happen. Linda very rudely told me there was nothing she could do about getting me a letter. This is a huge scam DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY. It is very much cheaper to go directly through a magazine. This is a ripoff and the company won't do anything to try and "fix" a complaint!
  10th of Jun, 2009

Magazine Burst - cancellation/refund
Massachusetts

I ordered magazines, which I was told were 5 for $27.00...Awesome for school projects...NOT THE CASE.. When they took the money it totaled over 90.00!!! They told me for shipping fees, I have NEVER had a shipping fee on a magazine... I called to cancel when I saw the charge on my account, It is now over a MONTH later, and I still have not received it...They told me 12 business days, and now I'm hearing it could take up to 2 billing cycles (30 days each) to see the refund!!! What it God's Name should take that long!!! I am ready to sue them for the mess they have put me in...
De
  17th of Jun, 2009
I also went through the same problem with Magazine Burst. The offer was 4 mags for $27, that same day I was charged $86.94. I called immediately and was told that the balance was for shipping and processing. I canceled my order and was tolf that I would have a complete refund in 12 to 14 biz days. Afte 16 days I called back. They apologized and told me thAT I would have my refund within 10 biz days. I waited 14 biz days still NO REFUND! I called back and spoke with a guy named Nate who was rude and seemed to be annoyed that I was annoyed. Nate transfered me to a "Manager" named Mia who told me that I would have the money within 3 biz days. On the 3rd biz day NO REFUND! I called back and got Nate again who was annoying as usual and who after putting me on hold said that "he had spoken with Mia and she said that she had already given me a referrence number and now it was up to my bank to apply it " I called the bank and they stated that no such number r procedure existed and advised me to file a fraud report and to call the to let them know. I finally received my refund the next day. They are fraudulent and only refunded my money after the bank threatened them and after I gave them the banks fax number to fax the proof of refund. This site is also related to the posters site (decor something). Im still waiting for a refund from them as well.
El
  4th of Jul, 2009
I just had the same problem and was told I would be refunded...I will wait and see! I reported them to the BBB and also contacted the U.S. Attorney General and filed a report! This is fraud and the company needs to be shut down. I will be contacting Facebook, and Texas and Illinois Attorney Generals as this company also has numerous names to hide their business fraud practices of gaining access to your account and illegally withdrawing money greater than the charges listed. I bought 5 magazines also at $27.00 and NEVER saw the magazines.
Sh
  18th of Jul, 2009
I too was scammed and Sarah is completly right, LINDA is rudy.
If somebody wanna filed a report together my email is sheilamachado@hotmail.com, they do not refund me yet and that happened june 6, 40 days ago. First they asked me to wait 30 days, last week asked me to wait 10 days, what is that? Somebody need to do something with this company.
So
  21st of Jul, 2009
Sheila,

I am going to give them one more call tomorrow and see what day they will be refunding this week since I have been told 5 other times in the past. It will take quiet a few to do anything legal but it appears there are many in our same boat but I may be very interested in helping to prevent others from being scammed.
I can't believe facebook would allow such a scam to take place. They can say the note was in there about the handling charges but they seem to forget that they have a 100% money back satisfaction that before 24 hours past the cancellation was there. It's a shame people can do these type things to people and not think twice about it.
Li
  12th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had the exact same experience! They said it would take 60 days to issue a refund, and that I would receive the credited charge on Nov 11, 2009. It' s now Nov 12th and still no refund.I called them AGAIN and was told that any day now I would see my money back. This company is a complete scam. And be warned... they charge my card AGAIN during this process for another $75 "renewal fee".
Kj
  12th of Nov, 2009
MAGAZINE BURST aka PUBLICATIONS MAX is a fraudulent company. They take more than the offer states (for example they list 5 for $27 and then charge you $88.64), then when you try to get a refund they give you the 7-10 runaround several times, until it's too late to dispute your charges. In my case, I was really stupid because I didn't cancel my credit card and today 8 months LATER, they charged another $90 to my account. This time I did dispute it and I also had to cancel my credit card. This company is scandalous. I doubt they even send anyone magazines. DO NOT FALL FOR THIS SCAM. I fell for it from Facebook/Mafia Wars.
  15th of Nov, 2009
An update on my situation...about 2 weeks after I posted my comment, I received my refund. So Far...no other charges have appeared on my account. I hope it doesnt happen. I think anymore crap from these people and I will file charges against them. What they are doing is ABSOLUTELY wrong...Good luck to all...
Mi
  18th of Nov, 2009
Same situation for me. Waited 90 days for a refund; called to complain and they said I would receive it in 48 hours. Instead they charged my account another $94. They have stolen approx. $180 from me. This is fraud, this is theft and I don't know how to proceed. Do I call state's DA or file complaint with BBB?
Fi
  2nd of Dec, 2009

Magazine Burst - unauthorized charges
Gouverneur
New York

I was charged $79.00 on 11/27/09 with a phone number as point of contact of 888-624-2877. I have left SIX messages with the promises of a return ASAP but nothing. I have no idea what the charge is for and I want my $79.00 plus the $60.00 the bank charged me for NSF fees!
Un
  2nd of Dec, 2009

Magazine Burst - Cancelled order, no refund, then charged again 6 months later!!!!!
Magazine Burst / Publicationsmax.com
Colorado

In May 09 I ordered 5 magazines for $27 and the next day I realized I didn't need that many magazines so I called and cancelled my order. Everything seemed legit and I thought my money would be refunded in the time frame I was told. This was even before I saw that I was charged $87.82! It has been a constant battle to get my refund. I have been promised by Jackie, Wally and Mark that my refund would occur each time I called. On 11/27/09 I saw ANOTHER UNATHORIZED charge for $89 from Publicationsmax.com!!! I have tried calling ALL day today and keep getting transferred to voicemail. I have left NUMEROUS messages previously and no one has had the curtisy to call me back. Let's not forget I haven't recieved any magazines!
These people need to stop ripping people off! I have contacted Tom Martino and I hope that we can get this scam shut down and everyone their money back, let's not forget all the time and energy wasted to get back our money!!
  3rd of Dec, 2009
i have been calling for several months. i have yet to get a refund or a call back. i was told a weeks then 30 days then 60 days for the refund to come thru. i never ordered magazines in the first place. i asked the one - not so nice lady i spoke to to refund me the amount of interest the 90 bucks would have made if it stayed in my bank. an average of .5% she thought it was funny, but i don't. i do have an email stating my account was cancelled and a confirmation code. its been almost 3 months and i have yet to hear back from someone or get the refund.
the number i have been calling is 888-624-2877

Magazine Burst - never ordered, refund never given
magazine burst
Louisiana

i never ordered magazines. i called to complain and question the charge on my account. i was told it was cancelled. i did receive an email stating it was cancelled and a confirmation number. but i have never received a credit. i have called over 30 times and left over ten messages with my phone number.

CustomerService@magazineburst.com to me
show details Sep 28

Dear Robin Killmer, we greatly appreciate your business. Per your request your account with Magazine Burst has been canceled. You will not receive any further shipments or billings from us. Please do not reply to this email. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us at: 888-MAG-BURST. Your confirmation number is: 640734.
  4th of Dec, 2009
This company is totally fraudulent! I will be contacting my attorney general re: their illegal practices. It has been well over 4 months since I responded to the ad for magazines for $27.00. I spoke to them repeatedly and was assured I'd be receiving my refund for the $84.84 I was charged. The kicker is that they never even sent any magazines, adding insult to injury. I will also be contacting my local tv news station to hand this over ot them and bring some long needed bad publicity to this company, total scam!!! I also fell for it on Facebook.
Su
  14th of Dec, 2009
I fell into this same problem, i ordered the magazines, found out the actual charge was close to 90.00 not 27.00 and when i called i was told i would get a refund in 30-60 usiness days. I called my bank and they said there is no way it should take that long. So i called Magazine Burst back and they do always sound so annoyed, they explained it saying that they only send out refund once every 30 days, and they didnt know when the next batch would go out. I got an email on Sept 28th saying i was getting a refund and have yet to get it. It is now Dec 14. Now when i call them it says they are busy with other callers, and then wants me to leave a message, i dont freaking think so!!! I am going to call my bank and the other appropriate people and report them!!!
Ro
  14th of Dec, 2009

Magazine Burst - scam

Magazine Burst took 89 dollars out said they were going to refund me never did instead they took out another 89 dollars. My bank was able to refund one of my money.. Still waiting for the other 89 bucks called millions of times never no spoke to anyone damn people