Madison Who's Who / unauthorized bank withdrawal

1 Eugene, OR, United States Review updated:
Phone: none

Company emailed me to congratulate me on my selection to its 2008 "honors book". They wanted +$900 for this privilege (which would include a free RT airfare ticket to selected desinations). Wanting to network, I bargained the deal down to about $200 for 2-year membership. Several months later, I received a call from the "managing editor" who continued to flatter my background and ended with saying that I had now paid the balance due of +$440! I said we had no agreement to do that, so he replied that the funds had already cleared my account and hung up. I then reported this as bank fraud, immediately emailed Madison and told them to replace the funds into my account immediately. Met with bank rep to close that account and reopen another. Because it was fraud, the bank credited my account with that +$440 and said the fraud dept would take it from there.
What a cheesy, sleezy scam.

Le

Comments

• Mi
      11th of Nov, 2008

I fell for their tactics and they signed me up for an account on their website without telling about it. They kept charging me for the account even though I never actually used account. A couple of months later, I noticed this charge on my credit card statement. When I look through the paperwork they sent me, there was a page about the web account, but stated a much lower rate. I tried to get them to cancel the account, it was a real hassle.

Anyway, don't fall for those guys.

• Rn
      2nd of Sep, 2011

Unfortunately I was caught up in this. received a call was pressured into accepting membership after I hung up I felt buyers remorse within a half hour I called back to cancel and was told that someone would call me back within a half hour AS YOU KNOW NO CALL BACK! I immediately contacted my bank who informed me that CKCARD SOCIETY for EXEFLUSHININ NYUS had processed for payment. I went through the process of dispute but have to wait 15 days before charges can be disputed. I call back again to Madison who's who's and after being shuffled to 4 people reach some one named M Larsen who was rude and short and claimed "processed in 48 hours" no other statement and I asked processed what? he said refund WE WILL SEE. My advise Don't get involved with this company obviously it is Who's Money can we take . Not to mention that they are very unprofessional in the way they handle customers, should of been a tip off. My business will survive without Unprofessional solicitation -Lesson learned next time my business manager is out of office don't take the call.

24th of Jan, 2012

"Minde Oaf" I find it hard to believe that you did not know that you were signing up. You went through a whole interview process, agreed to a membership and then proceeded to provide a credit card number in order to purchase the membership. Seeing that you have stated that you did receive your Welcome Package, you should clearly understand that you did purchase a membership. Also, stated in the Welcome Package, which you said you read, you would have seen that there is a Live Chat feature that you receive for free for 60 days after which if you do not cancel you do get charged. Had you called us to cancel, instead of posting a false complaint, the matter could have been resolved without any issues for either party. The only reason you would have a "real hassle" canceling your account is due to the fact that even though you had all of the information provided you chose to ignore it and place the blame on the company. Any complaint/cancel request sent to the company is dealt with immediately, that is what Customer Service is for, not Complaints Board. You made no effort to contact the company with any questions or concerns and only you are at fault for that.

For future reference, in order to contact Madison Who's Who, with any questions, concerns, cancel requests or any reason, use one of the following:

info@madisonwhoswho.com -email